Really Exited!!

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By darkgoth678

I'm so anxious about this I guess I'll just write about it. I odered my second HD4850 graphics card from Newegg afew hours ago, they havent shipped it yet but I should have it sometime next week, shooting for wednesday or thrusday. I got a Powercolor 512Mb one simply because I was looking for the cheapest one there and when you select the "lowest price" option the first one that comes up the Powercolor one. Im really glad it comes with a $20 rebate but Powercolor has some issues with their rebates so im kind of iffi about them and rebates but anywho...

Anyone looking at this would say it is save to assume that I got this card for better performance in games, and yes it is safe to assume that but that is not the primary reason I got the card. Now, don't get me wrong I id get it for better performance... on games to come. Right now I'm getting insane performance in the games I play most such as CoD4 and CoD:WaW, but I dont just use my rig for gaming, because I like to take my rig as far as she can go, I do some overclocking and Benchmarking with her. I've seen people with a 4850 crossfire set up and similar othe specs to mine get pretty drastic jump in their score just by adding another card. I've seen people get around 18000 with a 4850 Crossfire set up. My current highest 3DMark06 score is 14142 with one card, so my coal is to break 20000. 

So yes I got the card for boosting my bench scores but there is one more not so obvious reason why I got it. The subliminal reason I got the card is to look good. See, I'm planning to go to Quakecon this year and I want to look good (or at least half way decent) beside the guy with the $8000 computer. I saw some G4 coverage last year on Quakecon and they said thats how far the prices from the computers ranged. I'm personally looking forward to seeing some Corei7 extreme systems or some Quadfire 4870X2 setups. 

Along with the card I got an aftermarket cooler for my first 4850. I got it because I have the stock ATi cooler on the card and it does an amazing job at keeping my card at 80 degress celcious... so I kinda want to change it. I choose to get the ZALMAN VF1000 for it because its relatively cheap and by the reviews on newegg, people are reporting drastic (we're talking about 25 degress) temperature drops with that cooler and I havent seen anything better so I got it. The Cooler with the Powercolor is not the ATi cooler and people have said it yield pretty good temps, nothing like 80C or anything, they said at max under load 65. (hell that was my idle!) 

So overall I'm really looking forward to this upgrade and I hope I achieve my goal ;D and if anyone is planning to head to Quakecon 09' I hope to see ya there! Its my first time going so im also exited for that. Probably spending most of my time in th BYOC room and look for some anouncements from I.D software...
darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By darkgoth678

I'm so anxious about this I guess I'll just write about it. I odered my second HD4850 graphics card from Newegg afew hours ago, they havent shipped it yet but I should have it sometime next week, shooting for wednesday or thrusday. I got a Powercolor 512Mb one simply because I was looking for the cheapest one there and when you select the "lowest price" option the first one that comes up the Powercolor one. Im really glad it comes with a $20 rebate but Powercolor has some issues with their rebates so im kind of iffi about them and rebates but anywho...

Anyone looking at this would say it is save to assume that I got this card for better performance in games, and yes it is safe to assume that but that is not the primary reason I got the card. Now, don't get me wrong I id get it for better performance... on games to come. Right now I'm getting insane performance in the games I play most such as CoD4 and CoD:WaW, but I dont just use my rig for gaming, because I like to take my rig as far as she can go, I do some overclocking and Benchmarking with her. I've seen people with a 4850 crossfire set up and similar othe specs to mine get pretty drastic jump in their score just by adding another card. I've seen people get around 18000 with a 4850 Crossfire set up. My current highest 3DMark06 score is 14142 with one card, so my coal is to break 20000. 

So yes I got the card for boosting my bench scores but there is one more not so obvious reason why I got it. The subliminal reason I got the card is to look good. See, I'm planning to go to Quakecon this year and I want to look good (or at least half way decent) beside the guy with the $8000 computer. I saw some G4 coverage last year on Quakecon and they said thats how far the prices from the computers ranged. I'm personally looking forward to seeing some Corei7 extreme systems or some Quadfire 4870X2 setups. 

Along with the card I got an aftermarket cooler for my first 4850. I got it because I have the stock ATi cooler on the card and it does an amazing job at keeping my card at 80 degress celcious... so I kinda want to change it. I choose to get the ZALMAN VF1000 for it because its relatively cheap and by the reviews on newegg, people are reporting drastic (we're talking about 25 degress) temperature drops with that cooler and I havent seen anything better so I got it. The Cooler with the Powercolor is not the ATi cooler and people have said it yield pretty good temps, nothing like 80C or anything, they said at max under load 65. (hell that was my idle!) 

So overall I'm really looking forward to this upgrade and I hope I achieve my goal ;D and if anyone is planning to head to Quakecon 09' I hope to see ya there! Its my first time going so im also exited for that. Probably spending most of my time in th BYOC room and look for some anouncements from I.D software...
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

I'M REALLY EXITED TOO!!!

Now that I'm gonna stop bein' a douche...sounds fucking sweet, mang.  So far, the performance we've gotten on the 4850s here at work is awesome.  We didn't need to get a cooler since we're rockin' Antec 900 cases.  Those things are super quiet and super cool.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Black_Raven

Awesome, its really exciting when your get a new piece of hardware for your PC especially when its something as significant as a graphics card. What specs were you running to get that 3Dmark 06 score? ATM my highest is 12219 but that will change soon when i get a new case and CPU cooler, and considering I nearly increased my score by 1000 from a small overclock of 400mhz I cant wait to see what I get when I do some major OCing.