#1 Posted by Largo6661 (326 posts) -

I recently got in to adventure games after a long time, I played through The Book of Unwritten Tales and really liked it, next I moved on to machinarium and lastly Gemini rue. I just bought Primordia and am looking for other titles to get my teeth in to Any suggestions? (anything with a great story)

#2 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Getting the obvious out of the way, The Walking Dead.

#3 Posted by Breadfan (6586 posts) -
#4 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3599 posts) -

I grew up on the Lucas Arts games and I can't recommend them highly enough.

If you're really trying to have a good laugh Sam and Max Hit the Road is still bizarre and unique and yes, hilarious. Day of the Tentacle is in a way nearly as bizarre and is also fantastic.

I also am a really big fan of Grim Fandango and Full Throttle as they both have very unique settings and have great stories as well. The protagonists have to be two of my favorites on a very short list.

(I should ask though, are you saying you used to play them and you are getting back in?)

#5 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

I grew up on the Lucas Arts games and I can't recommend them highly enough.

If you're really trying to have a good laugh Sam and Max Hit the Road is still bizarre and unique and yes, hilarious. Day of the Tentacle is in a way nearly as bizarre and is also fantastic.

I also am a really big fan of Grim Fandango and Full Throttle as they both have very unique settings and have great stories as well. The protagonists have to be two of my favorites on a very short list.

(I should ask though, are you saying you used to play them and you are getting back in?)

yes to all of those

#6 Posted by Jesna (66 posts) -

I would've said Grim Fandango, but all of those Lucas Arts games are really hard to find currently (legally anyway).

For a non-Lucas adventure game Syberia is pretty great. Lots of mystery and atmosphere. Pretty sure you can grab it on GOG for a decent price. Don't buy Syberia 2 though, that game was super disappointing.

#7 Posted by ihateyouron (33 posts) -

Considering that other's have already recommended you check out the LucasArts classics, I'd just like to say that Sam and Max: Hit the Road is one of the best games of all time, let alone best in it's genre. In my opinion at least... Monkey Island is pretty good too..

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11276 posts) -

Beneath a Steel Sky - It's awesome and free :D

#9 Posted by Donkeycow (552 posts) -

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

#10 Posted by Slay3r1583 (584 posts) -

I second Syberia. I really enjoyed that game.

I would also recommend Still Life. Only the first one though. I never played part two so I can't comment on it.

#11 Edited by Abendlaender (2600 posts) -

Just in advance: The Longest Journey is probably one of the most overlooked games of all time, definitely try that.

Sam&Max Hit the Road and Day of the tentacle are probably the best and funniest adventure games out there. Also Monkey Island 1-3 (3 is imho the best, but many would disagree I think). Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis if you like serious adventures. Black Mirror 1 is a pretty good one too (don't even bother with Black Mirror 2 though).

Also: The longest journey. It's pretty amazing.

#12 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

@Abendlaender: Totally. Dreamfall The Longest Journey is a great game and should be played by anyone with an adventure game itch to scratch.

#13 Posted by wewantsthering (1460 posts) -

@Kyreo said:

@Abendlaender: Totally. Dreamfall The Longest Journey is a great game and should be played by anyone with an adventure game itch to scratch.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

#14 Posted by Abendlaender (2600 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

@Kyreo said:

@Kyreo said:

I actually meant The Longest Journey but you know what? Play both. Cause they are both amazing games. So full of life and heart. Man, I think I'm going to replay them. Hopefully the third game can live up to them.

#15 Posted by eskimo (460 posts) -

Telltale has done some good work lately, although they had a couple of stinkers with Back to the Future and Jurassic Park

Sam n Max Season 3

Tales of Monkey Island

Walking Dead

Heavy Rain

#16 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

5 Days a Stranger and it's sequels.

#17 Posted by JCTango (1354 posts) -

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Grim Fandango

#18 Posted by Subjugation (4694 posts) -

If you haven't played The Walking Dead yet, you are missing out on something special.

#19 Posted by Levio (1781 posts) -

@Landon said:

5 Days a Stranger and it's sequels.

These games are free too

#20 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1124 posts) -
#21 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4499 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Kyreo said:

@Kyreo said:

I actually meant The Longest Journey but you know what? Play both. Cause they are both amazing games. So full of life and heart. Man, I think I'm going to replay them. Hopefully the third game can live up to them.

I never played the first, but Dreamfall had a really promising start, and then never really went anywhere. The futuristic world was cool though. Kind of a crap ending, although apparently they're making a sequel? So maybe that won't be as big an issue in the near future.

I always loved the Myst games, but I dunno how well those hold up - Uru would probably be the easiest entry into that series, despite being a spin-off.

#22 Posted by jerseyscum (852 posts) -

Good Old Games has some FANTASTIC titles in their lineup. You also don't have to do any weird computer voodoo just to get the games to run on a modern machine either.

1. The Gabriel Knight Series: Start with Sins Of the Fathers and go from there. The plot centers around a New Orleans native, Gabriel Knight. He's a hack author/rare bookstore owner investigating a grisly series of ritualistic murders. What starts as research for an upcoming book becomes a delve into the darkest recesses of New Orleans occult history, conspiracy and voodoo. Watching Knight's transformation from a womanizing layabout into a badass paranormal investigator/demon hunter is just damn fun to watch. Tim Curry's awesomely bad Nawlins accent is also worth the price of admission alone.

The other two titles, The Beast Within and Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned are also fantastic and well worth your time. Blood of the Sacred is really janky, but the story is goddamn mind blowing. I cannot gush over these titles enough.

2. The Longest Journey: Fantastic voice acting, stellar art design and one of the smartest stories in gaming. It can get unbearably hard at times, but the payoff is well worth it.

3. The Walking Dead: Believe the hype. This is being shortlisted for numerous GOTY nominations for a damn good reason.

#23 Posted by super2j (1611 posts) -

have you ever considered the greatest adventure game of all? LIFE.

btw, the games i would suggest have already been suggested.

#24 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1274 posts) -

@Largo6661:

It depends if you want something current or something classic.

If you want something current, anything from Wadjet Eye Games would be a great a choice. My personal favorites from them are the Blackwell games.

If you're looking for something classic, 80s/90s Lucas Arts is where it's at. Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Sam and Max; you can't go wrong.