• 56 results
#1 Posted by Poppy_Persona (150 posts) -

So I've just started reading comics in the last few months, I've already read the walking dead, Locke and key and Watchmen. I'm not too big into the whole superhero genre so could anyone recommend any comics that have more alternative and original concepts?

#2 Posted by Aetheldod (3511 posts) -

Sin City ... you are welcome :)

#3 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Hellblazer.

#4 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

Tintin, Spirou, Lucky Luke and Valhalla are great.

#5 Posted by JCTango (1358 posts) -

@Poppy_Persona: Not quite sure if this constitutes as a non-superhero type of comic: Chew

It's about a cibopath who sees psychic images of the stuff he eats/tastes which lead to him solving various crimes/conspiracies.

#6 Posted by MethodMan008 (806 posts) -

Walking Dead, Chew.

Wish I could help more but my comic taste is about as mainstream as it can get.

#7 Posted by SargeGulp (238 posts) -

100 Bullets.

#8 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2135 posts) -

Transmetropolitan is a must read.

#9 Edited by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

If you're into fantasy, ElfQuest (Though I'd recommend stopping after Kings of the Broken wheel when different artists and writers take over and it goes weird, but that's just my opinion)

#10 Edited by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

There's quite a bit from the DC Vertigo line, at least there used to be when I was a comic reader. In addition to the Hellblazer suggestion, I'd add Sandman, Preacher and 100 Bullets. And, while it technically is a superhero title, I'd add Sandman Mystery Theater. In reality, it's a pulpy detective comic, but the hero does have a costume of sorts. If you like Harry Potter and the like, then you should check out Books of Magic. The main character even looks like Potter, but the comic appeared seven years before that teenage wizard. Like Hellblazer, BoM walks the border of superhero DCU and the mystical realities meaning an occasional reference to Batman or the Green Lantern might occur while taking a journey to Hell to retrieve Lucifer's wings.

Oh and if you want to read something huge, then check out Cerebus the Aardvark. Don't let it's cartoonish look dissuade you. There's a lot to the story.

#11 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Midnight Nation
Mosaic
Sudden Gravity: a Tale of the Panopticon
Watchmen
Promethea
Maus 
Sandman
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

#12 Edited by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

Avoid Frank Miller like a plague.

V For Vendetta

Transmetropolitan

Preacher

100 Bullets

Fables (until about volume six or seven)

EDIT: How in the holy heck did I forget about Sandman? Sandman is straight-up literature.

#13 Posted by ahgunsillyo (443 posts) -

Brian K. Vaughan's "Y: The Last Man" and "Ex Machina" are pretty great, and his new series "Saga" is pretty fantastic so far (it's only three issues in at this point).

If you want something a bit more out there, Matt Fraction's "Casanova" with Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon is some trippy awesomeness.

#14 Posted by LTSmash (603 posts) -

Some good crime comics:

Criminal by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (6 volumes)

Richard Stark's Parker by Darwyn Cooke (2 volumes with another coming in July)

#15 Posted by theveej (812 posts) -

The Manhattan Project

V for Vendetta / League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but they are kind of superheroeish

Sandman

Y The Last Man

Most of what everyone has said here is good too. Mb check comicvine and the boards there, its actually a really good website if you want to findout about comics.

#16 Posted by Poppy_Persona (150 posts) -

@JCTango: Yeah i've heard a bit about Chew at first i wasn't so sure about the whole food thing but its pretty cheap online i might check it out.

#17 Posted by Winternet (8005 posts) -
  • Corto Maltese by Hugo Pratt - all books from the series are fantastic. Great visuals, story and characters.
  • Tintin by Herge, Lucky Luke by Morris and Goscinny and Asterix by Goscinny and Uderzo are the Franco-Belgian classics from the 20th century
  • Blake and Mortimer by Edgar P. Jacobs is another fine example of adventure comics from the Belgian scene
  • Spirou and Fantasio by Robert Velter lies more on the humorous side of adventure comics, much like Lucky Luke and Asterix

Fine, here is an american one:

• Black Hole by Charles Burns - I haven't finish it, but so far it's something quite amazing
#18 Posted by VierasTalo (676 posts) -

Persepolis, Maus, David B's Epileptic and basically all of Jason's silent comics are very much worth reading.

#19 Posted by Sin4profit (2907 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

Transmetropolitan - Second this vote.

#20 Posted by BUCK3TM4N (549 posts) -

Criminal

#21 Posted by BaneFireLord (2909 posts) -

I loved Bone, even if the first two volumes felt kinda like a Disney film.

#22 Posted by erichr (58 posts) -

How has Planetary not been mentioned yet? So Planetary.

Also Ex Machina, Universal War One and XIII are all great.

#23 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Cassanova by matt fraction

Criminal by ed brubaker

Chew by john layman

Unwritten by Mike Carey

fables by bill willing ham

#24 Edited by Baal_Sagoth (1235 posts) -

@HaltIamReptar said:

Preacher

Sort of a topic ending recommendation in my opinion. Shawn Elliot might even agree, so there's that.

Edit: And it was mentioned even slightly earlier by @PenguinDust which I totally missed.

#25 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -
  • Chew
  • Y The Last Man
  • Bone
  • Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
  • Anything by Matt Kindt (Super Spy, 3 Story, Revolver)
#26 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Maus by Art Spiegelman is one of the best things I've ever read, comics or otherwise.

Scott Pilgrim is quite fun.

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud is a fascinating look into the world of comics. Some call it pretentious. I liked it.

#27 Posted by Legxend (124 posts) -

The Crow and American Vampire. You could also check out the current run of Swamp Thing.

#28 Edited by moywar700 (174 posts) -

You should get anything from Vertigo. They are mostly horror books and fantasy.

#29 Posted by twitchwanker (16 posts) -

@JCTango: im glad some else suggested it... i didn't know if it would classify as a superhero comic or not.

#30 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

CROSSED

THE WALKING DEAD

CHEW

SCALPED

#31 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

The Akira Manga kicks ass, I completely recommend that 6 book series. Heck they have great value too. 400 pages each for less than 20 bucks!

#32 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

@erichr said:

How has Planetary not been mentioned yet? So Planetary.

Well, he said non-superhero. Although Planetary is still basically required reading from a cultural standpoint, if you have any affinity for sci-fi... or superhero comics.

#33 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I haven't read it--I've been meaning to for a while--but I've heard nothing but superlatives about Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan: Smartest Kid on Earth.

#34 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@Sin4profit said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

Transmetropolitan - Second this vote.

Thirding this. (because 'thirding' is totally a word)

#35 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (353 posts) -
#36 Posted by Wicked_Wumpus (174 posts) -

This tread really makes me want to get into comics. I used to read a bunch of them back in the day and after recently reading Watchmen I've got this comic itch that I should really scratch.

#37 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
#38 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -

If you want something abit original go for Shaun Tan's Arrival, Asterios Polyp, Crecy and Transmetropolitan. Also if you want something like The Walking Dead you should check out Crossed, if you can stomach the violence in it.

#39 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Must reads

• The Sandman, Lucifer and House of mystery if you liked Sandman
  • V for Vendetta
  • Y The Last Man

On going ones that you may like depending on your taste

• Irredeemable
  • Chew

Relatively new ones that you might want to check out

• Saga
  • Hardcore
  • Orc Stain
#40 Posted by GunstarRed (5025 posts) -

The first League of Extraordinary Gentlemen book is awesome (nothing like the movie) The second volume isn't so good though, and the newer books veer too far away from what makes the first book great.

#41 Posted by Ghostiet (5224 posts) -

Y The Last Man and the Thorgal series.

#42 Posted by MemphisSlim (71 posts) -

I'm disappointed by the lack of Terry Moore! He's an extremely talented indie writer/artist who puts Joss Whedon to shame in his excellent lady protagonists. His current book is Rachel Rising, a pretty cool horror mystery series if you're already into Locke & Key.

Another new supernatural mystery going on is Mind the Gap; haven't tried much past a sample, but it sounds impressive. Girl murdered, wanders on a different plane of existence trying to figure out what really happened.

Paul Cornell (of Captain Britain, the Lex Luthor arc of Action Comics, and Doctor Who) has a crazy mystery comic called Saucer Country about alleged alien abductions in New Mexico.

Jeff Lemire's graphic novel interpretation of The Invisible Man (Wells), The Nobody, is supposedly rather chilling as well.

#43 Edited by Kidavenger (3509 posts) -

@MemphisSlim said:

I'm disappointed by the lack of Terry Moore!

I loved Strangers in Paradise, it's so hard to get now that it's hard to recommend, I need to check out some of his newer stuff.

Preacher, probably the most shocking comic series I've ever read, amazing.

Sin City, don't listen to people talking crap about Frank Miller, his comics are some of the best ever made.

Stray Bullets, may be hard to find, worth it though.

Bone,

The Sword,

I'd give Invincible a try if you liked Walking Dead, it's by the same writer, and it's a pretty good hero comicbook in a self contained universe.

I haven't read 100 Bullets yet, just wanted to point out that the entire series in on sale right now on comixology http://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?featured_id=8719, I'm probably going to pick it up...

#44 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -

2000AD.

Some stand out stories/series are;

• Judge Dredd: America By John Wagner, Man tells the story of the girl he loved who joined a terrorist group trying to restore Democracy from the Fascist Judges.
  • Button Man By John Wagner, Man tries to escape from an underground gladiatorial combat scene.
  • Sláine: The Horned God By Pat Mills, kinda like Conan the Barbarian but based on Celtic Myth.
  • Savage: Taking Liberties By Pat Mills, Britain was invaded by fake Russians, Bill Savage is a freedom fighter/terrorist trying to overthrow them. Written concurrently with the "war on terror".
  • The Ballard of Halo Jones By Alan Moore, Unemployed girl goes food shopping, then works on a space ship, then fights in space Vietnam. Shows three distinct styles of writing from Alan Moore, from his world building, to his one off humorous side, and finally his more politically charged side.
  • D.R. & Quinch By Alan Moore, Aliens come to earth. More of Alan Moore's comedy writing.
  • Zombo by Al Ewing, Zombo is a government controlled Sentient Zombie that crashes on a death planet (a planet that actively tries to kill you).
  • Low Life by Rob Williams, Low Life is the undercover branch of the Judges the control crime by being the crime. Started off being kinda serious then became full comedy when Dirty Frank became the star.
  • Shakara by Robbie Morrison, Shakara is an alien that to avenge the destruction of its race has decided it will wipe out all life.
  • Nikolai Dante by Robbie Morrison, Nikolai Dante is the bastard son of a Russian Tsar in a 18th century based future Earth.
  • Indigo Prime by John Smith, Organisation designed to make sure that the multiverse doesn't destroy its self.
  • Devlin Waugh by John Smith, a camp homosexual exorcist priest, employed by the future Vatican City, with medals in flower-arranging and Olympic high-diving, a bodybuilder’s physique.
  • Sinister Dexter by Dan Abnett, Two hitmen are a cog in a cities crime. Early stuff is good but this series just will not end.
  • Absalom by Gordon Rennie, Police branch is in charge of policing an act between Hell and the British Crown.
#45 Posted by StarvingGamer (7995 posts) -

Preacher

#46 Posted by jonano (363 posts) -

A History of violence is a good one and I don't think it was mentioned yet.

#47 Posted by Poppy_Persona (150 posts) -

A lot of you have mentioned Preacher i might get into that, what is it like?

#48 Posted by JJOR64 (18907 posts) -

Scott Pilgrim.

#49 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (479 posts) -

I love 100 bullets. Also recommend DMZ.

#50 Posted by DocHaus (1314 posts) -

Off the top of my head: Jew Gangster by Joe Kubert. Also, Transmetropolitan, Preacher, and pretty much anything written by Warren Ellis.