• 71 results
#1 Posted by NotTheBees (26 posts) -

I have just finished watching the BRILLIANT 'Life on Mars', which I will be writing a blog on later on. Before I move onto its sequel, I want to watch something different.

Can anybody recommend me some really good tv? Doesn't matter whether its drama, thriller or comedy and it doesn't matter how recent it is.

Television shows I enjoy include 'Sherlock', 'Breaking Bad', 'The Walking Dead', 'Only Fools and Horses', 'Scrubs' and, of course, 'Arrested Development'.

#2 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

Justified is freakin great. Highly recommended. Also a show that's a few years older but you'll have a bunch of seasons to go through, Rescue Me. Dennis Leary as a NY firefighter. Really great, balances hilarious and serious really well and deals with post 9/11 stuff without coming across as cloying or sappy.

#3 Posted by Sanj (2507 posts) -

Game of Thrones.

How I Met Your Mother

The Office

GAME OF THRONES.

#4 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

Teen wolf...

#5 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (177 posts) -

Boardwalk Empire. Slow burn but after the first couple of episodes you'll be sucked in.

#6 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

I'll repeat Game of Thrones. I also really like Spartacus.

I like the cop show Southland a lot too.

On Hulu, the Booth at the End is really good.

On Netflix, the remake of House of Cards was good, though maybe too padded out compared to the original.

If you never watched Battlestar Galactica, go back and watch that. Freaks and Geeks & Firefly are also on Netflix.

#7 Posted by leinad44 (530 posts) -

All the stuff already mentioned. Plus the first season of Hannibal, which is fantastic!

#8 Edited by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy: The thing I could never get with Justified after watching the first two seasons was if they're going for a singular narrative within a contained story arc per season or if it's a show that has self contained plots within each episode.

I'm not saying it's bad I just wish I knew what it was trying to be. You get one episode focused on Boyd's arc which seems like it's supposed to be pretty important and then you won't see him for like 6 episodes. The filler episodes were pretty good from what I watched though. I really like the one where Olyphant had to help his ex-wife with her new husband in the first season.

Is it a little more focused after season 2?

#9 Posted by The_Grindilow (432 posts) -

Dexter

I'm Alan Partridge (movie coming out in August!)

The I.T Crowd (Imagine Big Bang Theory, but funny)

Father Ted

Spaced

#10 Edited by Sanity (1950 posts) -

Trailer Park Boys

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Longmire

Warehouse 13

#11 Posted by CitizenCoffeeCake (611 posts) -

I don't know if you have access to HBO or HBOGO but The Wire and The Sopranos are amazing. The Shield (at least the early seasons that I watched) and Sons of Anarchy are pretty good and Portlandia is funny as hell.

#12 Edited by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

Parks and Recreation was a show that I've always loved, but I've gotten way more into since Community started going downhill. It's just so feel-good and so funny!

Edit: I should add that the first season feels like a cheap knockoff of The Office (which is a show I thought was decent but never loved), but power through it because starting with season two it really comes into its own.

#13 Edited by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

HBO's Rome was really fantastic.

#14 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1875 posts) -

Joss Whedon's entire catalog is excellent, that being "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Angel", "Firefly", and "Dollhouse" (which is considered his worst show by most, but I still enjoyed it).

I also recommend "Dexter", "Stargate SG-1" (as well as the spin off "Stargate Atlantis"), "Game of Thrones", "Lost", "Heroes" (Season 1 only), and "Battlestar Galactica".

#15 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

@maskedarcstrike: Yeah from what I remember it seems to stay pretty close to the main arc. There's also some really great Raylan/Tim stuff in a few episodes with them verbally sparring a bit. I like Tim a lot he's one of my favourite characters. It blew my mind when I realized he was Cooper from Eurotrip.

#16 Posted by jacksmedulla (281 posts) -

Mad Men (My favorite television show)

Game of Thrones

Boardwalk Empire

Deadwood

Spaced

Luther (Since you liked Sherlock)

House of Cards

Parks and Rec

#17 Posted by Unilad (579 posts) -

BBC series called 'Luther'

You can find season 1 and 2 easily. 3 is currently on British TV.

It's fantastic, gritty, realistic and british. Set in London, you cannot help but be absorbed.

#18 Edited by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Community is pretty enjoyable, the first 3 seasons of it anyway.

Band of Brothers is a show that I was pleasantly surprised by. I don't usually like war movies but I felt that show was absolutely fantastic. The medic episode is perhaps some of the best TV I've seen.

Louie is great if you like Louis C.K. The show is so weird but also hilarious. I have to warn you that it can get really fucking dark. Like reeeeeeeeally dark. You will feel uncomfortable for long periods of time, I can guarantee that.

You've already said that you've watched Breaking Bad though, so anything else is going to be a step-down from that in my opinion.

#19 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

Highlander.

#20 Posted by Zelyre (1262 posts) -

BBC's Sherlock

Spartacus (First few episodes are... not good. You gotta power through them. They rely too much on trying to look like 300 at first. Also if you cannot watch a show that gives men equal nudity as women... this might not be for you.)

#21 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

The Wire

/thread

Just beware that there is a risk that this one changes your view on television to the point that most other shows can seem pointless and childish afterwards.

#22 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1472 posts) -

The Whitest Kids You Know

#23 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

Falling Skies

#24 Posted by Bucketdeth (8045 posts) -

Everyone seems to exclude Boardwalk Empire, fucking fantastic show.

#25 Edited by leftie68 (215 posts) -

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia...

Nothing better than the first 3 or 4 seasons of Dexter...

Flight of the Concords is a hilarious show.

#26 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5855 posts) -

you should probably watch The Wire and The Sopranos at some point.

Although maybe wait a while, because there's really not much out there that's better than those two.

#27 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

In order of recommendation:

1. Game of Thrones
  2. Boardwalk Empire
  3. Mad Men

2 & 3 are interchangble, but I would very strongly suggest Game of Thrones over everything else currently airing on TV. If you are looking for a past series, I would use the same recommendation level for The Wire. It might sound cliche, but it will change how you view TV shows.

#28 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2572 posts) -

Most of my recommendations are animated shows and older shows, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

I'll vouch for It's Always Sunny. It's like a twisted Seinfeld, and it's fucking hilarious.

#29 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

The only TV show i like that's actually a great show is Nikita, but it's fantastic if you like spy shit.

#30 Posted by Marcsman (3262 posts) -

Ray Donovan has been superb so far.

#31 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

THE WEST WING

WATCH THE WEST WING

DO IT

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Drunken History.

#33 Posted by jsnyder82 (762 posts) -

You have to watch the new Netflix show Orange is the New Black. It's fuckin' great.

Also, Mad Men, Justified, IT Crowd, The Venture Bros., Archer, Bob's Burgers, Parks and Recreation.

#34 Edited by MocBucket62 (1262 posts) -

The shows I can come up with to recommend are Archer, Game of Thrones, Parks and Recreation, and Friday Night Lights (Go to Netflix to watch that)

#35 Posted by JEC03 (919 posts) -

#36 Posted by pyromagnestir (4337 posts) -
  • Orphan Black
  • Terriers
  • Better Off Ted
  • Coupling
#37 Posted by ilovebees (75 posts) -

Dexter and Parks and Rec

#38 Posted by jeffrud (415 posts) -

Twin Peaks, Twin Peaks, and don't forget Twin Peaks.

#39 Posted by flashx_454 (49 posts) -

Hannibal Is a Must Watch

its hands down the best new show this year.

#40 Posted by Sargus (732 posts) -

This is mostly a list of random shows I enjoy, but judging by the list of shows you like, you might find something appealing in at least one of these:

• Game of Thrones
  • Lost
  • New Girl
  • Once Upon a Time
  • Doctor Who
  • How I Met Your Mother
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Chuck
#41 Edited by beepmachine (618 posts) -

Lots of good suggestions in here, but I'd add The Killing to the list. I know there's a lot of people who don't seem to like it but I think it's fantastic. Season 3 has blown me away so far. Peter Sarsgaard just fucking kills it in every scene.

Other than that you can't go wrong with Mad Men, Justified, House of Cards, Homeland, or Curb Your Enthusiasm. oh and:

@jeffrud said:

Twin Peaks, Twin Peaks, and don't forget Twin Peaks.

#42 Edited by RandomHero666 (3182 posts) -

Jericho: great show about a little town that survives a nuclear apocalypse.

also.. Black Books, Spaced, Game of thrones, Dexter, Planet Earth, IT Crowd(Not the american version). Not a fan of most TV but there is some gold out there

#43 Posted by BigJeffrey (5149 posts) -

The Only TV show i have seem in the past years

• Mad Men
  • Breaking Bad
  • South Park

That's all i can recommend,

#44 Posted by NotTheBees (26 posts) -

@the_grindilow: YES, father ted! Brilliant comedy, take it you're Irish yeah?

#45 Posted by Reisz (1522 posts) -

Glad to see the love for Deputy Marshall Givens in here. Justified is one of the best things on TV. Check out Archer, Homeland, House of Cards, the first British season of Strike Back was great too.

#46 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

I had never seen Archer until a friend recommended it. I had heard of it, but never felt compelled to watch it. It is funny. If you liked Sealab 2021, you will enjoy it.

#47 Edited by Daneian (1251 posts) -

Twin Peaks

West Wing

Supernatural

Psych

#48 Posted by sqrabbit (115 posts) -

@grissefar: The Wire is amazing. Well worth anyone's time. The only problem for newcomers is the first season is the hardest to get into.

#49 Posted by gaminghooligan (1478 posts) -

Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Hannibal (trust me), Drunken History, and Lilyhammer.

#50 Edited by joshwent (2329 posts) -

@unilad said:

BBC series called 'Luther'

You can find season 1 and 2 easily. 3 is currently on British TV.

I had no idea that Series 3 was even happening! HUZZAH!! (now where's that heart medication so the tension doesn't fucking kill me)

But yeah, OP, Luther is without exaggerating one of the best shows I've ever seen. If you liked Sherlock, this show has a similarly wonderful master criminal - hero relationship like Holmes and Moriarty, but with a fascinating twist. Impeccable acting, creative crimes, great music, and it's suspenseful as fuck!

If you liked the Sherlock episode where he has to solve the series of crimes before people are blown up, but wish it was like 63,000% more intense, Luther is for you.