• 101 results
#1 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

Just as the title implies I am looking for something dark to read while i'm away at my grandparents for the rest of the summer (no internet/TV or electronics). Sorry for making a "RECOMMEND ME THIS!" type of thread, but I checked in the search and couldn't find one and ive been looking to no avail so finally I figured you guys might have some suggestions. Next stop is Bloody Disgusting if this doesnt work, but I really don't want to go there again... buncha freaks (kidding :P... kind of)

I'm looking for something that's smart, interesting, dark, and creepy or just plain twisted. HOWEVER. I do not want to read something too out there. I tried Googling this and some of the results were pretty sick and messed up. Nothing too "A Serbian Film"-Y

I enjoy the show Dexter a lot, so if theres a serial killer type of novel thats intriguing that could be cool... Also a plus if its on itunes. (Already read the Dexter books FYI)

Thanks in advance Bombers!

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (34619 posts) -

Somebody wanna post the Giant Bomb fan fic?

#3 Posted by TheHumanDove (2396 posts) -

Fucking eat me man

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Twilight. All of the books. One sitting. 

#5 Posted by The_Nubster (1951 posts) -

American Psycho. If you've seen the movie, don't sweat it. The book is. . . it's really a piece of work, man.

#7 Posted by Omega (819 posts) -

I dunno man, I've been reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series and its pretty dark. With the 4 book box set you'll pretty much have the whole summer entertainment locked up seeing as how each book is around 1000 pages. At $20 its a pretty small investment for such an awesome series.

#8 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

American Psycho or Glamorama

#9 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Oh god no.

@TheHumanDove said:

Fucking eat me man

Anytime sugar.

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Oh God no.

#10 Posted by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -
#11 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

John dies at the end.

#13 Edited by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

In all seriousness, American Psycho is pretty good, very dark. A Scanner Darkly is a really dark story (in a kind of dystopian depressing kind of way), although I've only seen the film. I've heard Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk (the author of Fight Club) is good, in fact I'd recommend pretty much anything by that guy. Franz Kafka's stuff is dark again in a kind of dystopian way, but also very strange.

I'd actually say Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, both the books are VERY weird, and IMO, Wonderland is a fairly dark place, and the way Alice handles it all is similarly disturbingly relaxed.

#14 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

American Psycho. If you've seen the movie, don't sweat it. The book is. . . it's really a piece of work, man.

Havent watched the movie... I think I saw the sequel? Not sure... I remember Mila Kunis and thats about it.

Thanks for the rec though! Will give this a look!

@Barrock said:

I just finished Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig. It's not exactly what you're looking for but I enjoyed it.

Now, for more your specifications I'd recommend

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003STD7BO/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TFESNS/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042AMD2M/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J8HR5K/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AYDK7M/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PGNF0W/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H1T9H8/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WLPPD0/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00505CR1U/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UWPPU4/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00537SDWM/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042AMD2M/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

None of these are A Serbian Film levels of fucked up, but they can be generally disturbing.

Awesome. Will give these a look. Thanks!

@Omega said:

I dunno man, I've been reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series and its pretty dark. With the 4 book box set you'll pretty much have the whole summer entertainment locked up seeing as how each book is around 1000 pages. At $20 its a pretty small investment for such an awesome series.

Is that the book based off of Game of Thrones?

#15 Edited by jking47 (1191 posts) -

@Dexter_Morgan_: @Video_Game_King: Here you go. Have fun! Giant bomb Fan fic is way better than any horror novel you are gonna find.

#16 Posted by EuanDewar (4514 posts) -

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West.

It's an audiobook.

#17 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

please no *hides under bed due to horrible memories*

#18 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

This is sufficient.

#19 Posted by Omega (819 posts) -

@Dexter_Morgan_: It is game of thrones. The show was based off the books. A song of ice and fire is the name of the series, book 1 is a game of thrones book 2 is a clash of kings and so on. the show is called a game of thrones but only the first season follows game of thrones. Season 2 follows A Clash of Kings and season 3 will follow a Storm of Swords.

#20 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West. It's an audiobook.

HA! That shit is garbage. Sorry, but I... yeah just no. Just NO.

#21 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@Inkerman said:

In all seriousness, American Psycho is pretty good, very dark. A Scanner Darkly is a really dark story (in a kind of dystopian depressing kind of way), although I've only seen the film. I've heard Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk (the author of Fight Club) is good, in fact I'd recommend pretty much anything by that guy. Franz Kafka's stuff is dark again in a kind of dystopian way, but also very strange.

I'd actually say Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, both the books are VERY weird, and IMO, Wonderland is a fairly dark place, and the way Alice handles it all is similarly disturbingly relaxed.

Dude... Thanks for recommending Alice and Through The Looking Glass... I was meaning to get to these, but forgot.

#22 Posted by kindgineer (2486 posts) -

Can't really help you there, I tend to stay away from things that are intentionally dark. However, my wife has told me that the Stephen King novel series The Dark Tower(?) is pretty fucked up. You could look into those.

#23 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

Blood Meridian is a brutal novel and just about as dark and nihilistic as it gets. Fucking beautiful, though.

The Trial

2666 - "The Part About the Crimes" is pretty fucking mindnumbing in it's nightmarish repetition of the hundreds of women murdered in the city of Santa Teresa. The rest of the book is pretty incredible as well.

The Road

Anything by Lovecraft

#24 Posted by Little_Socrates (5650 posts) -

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

@EuanDewar said:

I was gonna make a suggestion and then you said that and now we can't be friends anymore. Best album since...well, in my opinion, 1979.

Uh, but to be gracious, I found A Song of Ice and Fire dark enough that I did not find it fun, so I stopped reading very quickly. As for Chuck Palahniuk, just avoid Choke if you're already familiar with Fight Club, as it's way too similar. Invisible Monsters is different enough to still be enjoyable. And Stephen King's IT, Bag of Bones, and The Stand are delicious and waaaaaay darker than the rest of his work. Well, maybe not Bag of Bones, but you should definitely read that book because it's good.

#25 Posted by RedRavN (381 posts) -

I recommend anything by HP lovecraft if you want really wierd. A new compilation came out in 2011 its pretty good. The 2002 best of collection is less comprehensive but has the more popular short stories. I also recommend you check out "at the mountains of madness" the short novel by lovecraft.

Clive Barker is also pretty good. Hes more visceral and violent than lovecraft but his short stories are great.

#26 Edited by BaneFireLord (2878 posts) -

American Gods by Neil Gaiman is twisted, dark, really funny and just outstanding overall. It might not fall into American Psycho levels of fucked-up-ness, but it does go to some messed up places.

#27 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

@EuanDewar said:

I was gonna make a suggestion and then you said that and now we can't be friends anymore. Best album since...well, in my opinion, 1979.

Uh, but to be gracious, I found A Song of Ice and Fire dark enough that I did not find it fun, so I stopped reading very quickly. As for Chuck Palahniuk, just avoid Choke if you're already familiar with Fight Club, as it's way too similar. Invisible Monsters is different enough to still be enjoyable. And Stephen King's IT, Bag of Bones, and The Stand are delicious and waaaaaay darker than the rest of his work. Well, maybe not Bag of Bones, but you should definitely read that book because it's good.

If you're looking for dark Stephen King, some of his Bachman works are pretty fucked as well. Desperation is my favorite.

Also, I forgot to mention Jack Ketchum. He writes a lot of fucked up stuff. The only one I've read is The Girl Next Door which is based on a true story and is disturbing as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Girl-Next-Door-ebook/dp/B005OKAS94/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1340329638&sr=1-2

#28 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

@Dexter_Morgan_: No probs. I went through a stage a while back of wondering what to read, and had just finished reading both Frankenstein and 1984 (actually, if you haven't read it, another recommendation), so I decided to go through the classics. I read both the Alices and The Picture of Dorian Gray (again, another recommendation, it takes awhile to get going and doesn't get dark in a very fucked up way, but it's really good at showing the effects of nihilism and hubris on a personality), and have been meaning to pick up The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

#29 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

@EuanDewar said:

Sorry :/

In Kanye's defense I have hated him since 08' so my opinion is kind of bias.

I read It and Bag of Bones. It was way more complex than the film, but I loved it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

#30 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@Barrock said:

@Little_Socrates said:

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

@EuanDewar said:

If you're looking for dark Stephen King, some of his Bachman works are pretty fucked as well. Desperation is my favorite.

Also, I forgot to mention Jack Ketchum. He writes a lot of fucked up stuff. The only one I've read is The Girl Next Door which is based on a true story and is disturbing as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Girl-Next-Door-ebook/dp/B005OKAS94/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1340329638&sr=1-2

Desperation looked good! I really liked RUN on your list though.... Have you read it?

I also saw the film of The Girl Next Door and I really have no interest in the book... it was pretty brutal and totally A Serbian Film--Y.

#32 Posted by stryker1121 (1238 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

I'd second this but OP says he doesn't want anything "Serbian Film"-y.

#33 Posted by stryker1121 (1238 posts) -

OK, here's a few titles for ya, all dark n twisted like you like em:

"The Ruins" -Scott Smith

"Sharp Objects"- Gillian Flynn

"The Talented Mr. Ripley" - Patricia Highsmith (I would not suggest the sequels)

"Song of Ice N Fire" series -GRRM

"First Law" series-Joe Abercrombie (very dark and bloody fantasy series w/ some excellent characters)

"Pet Semetary" -Stephen King

"Full Dark No Stars"-King

"Underworld USA" trilogy by James Ellroy (batshit crazy crime/alternate history novels surrounding the Kennedy assassination and other events. Awesome, nihilistic, disturbing)

"Samaritan" -Richard Price

---

Hell, I could go all day but this here's a good start! Enjoy your Luddite summer, dude.

#34 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

@Barrock said:

@Little_Socrates said:

@Dexter_Morgan_ said:

@EuanDewar said:

Desperation looked good! I really liked RUN on your list though.... Have you read it?

I also saw the film of The Girl Next Door and I really have no interest in the book... it was pretty brutal and totally A Serbian Film--Y.

Yup. I've read all the books I listed. Blake Crouch is pretty awesome. I've read Run, Desert Places, and Locked Doors. Run's a thrill ride of a book.

I'm generally okay with anything in a horror book as long as it doesn't involve kids. That's the worst part of A Serbian Film in my opinion.

#35 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Where is that giantbomb jeff/ryan fanfic when we need it?

#36 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -
#37 Posted by hwy_61 (912 posts) -

Guts by Chuck Palaniuk. It's a short read which is part of his book Haunted. I highly recommend you read Guts. You can find it pretty easy (Google 'guts chuck Palaniuk').

#38 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

American Psycho. It talks about a guy who has a vagina along with a uzi in his gym locker.

#39 Posted by Undeadpool (4869 posts) -

@Dexter_Morgan_: Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis. It's humorously dark, and unlike so many other "dark" stories, it never tries too hard to shock you.

#40 Posted by The_Nubster (1951 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

@The_Nubster said:

I'd second this but OP says he doesn't want anything "Serbian Film"-y.

I'd never equated it to that, but now that you point it out, that's not far off-base. . . Actually, now A Serbian Film seems a lot less crazy.

#41 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Like everyone else, American psycho and The Road. The Road is more of a depressing book though but its one of my favorite books of the last couple of years, the writing is amazing. Also find some chuck palinchuck books and We need to talk about Kevin, the latter is just sad though in a wasted and sad existence sort of way. Also I have no mouth and I must scream is a good one and pick up some Ray Bradbury for the hell of it.

#42 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

If you are up for reading a comic book tpb series, Preacher is the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title; it's an amazing read.

#43 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

It's short, but H.P. Lovecraft's "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" is a fantastic read. Another good Lovecraft story is "At the Mountains of Madness", thought it's a bit too long imo.

#44 Posted by fox01313 (5033 posts) -

Any of the classic gems from H.P. Lovecraft.

#45 Posted by satansmagichat (187 posts) -

Can you maybe give some examples of what you're looking for? I'd argue that The Hunger Games is dark and anything by Roald Dahl is pretty twisted. So maybe give some things you like for comparison.

I'm currently reading Naked Lunch by Williams S Burroughs and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. The former is extremely twisted in it's depiction of junkies. The second is just batshit crazy.

And I always recommend Slaughter-House Five or Cat's Cradle if you've never read them. Both very dark, very funny, yet really disturbing once you start thinking about them.

#46 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@satansmagichat said:

Can you maybe give some examples of what you're looking for? I'd argue that The Hunger Games is dark and anything by Roald Dahl is pretty twisted. So maybe give some things you like for comparison.

I'm currently reading Naked Lunch by Williams S Burroughs and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. The former is extremely twisted in it's depiction of junkies. The second is just batshit crazy.

And I always recommend Slaughter-House Five or Cat's Cradle if you've never read them. Both very dark, very funny, yet really disturbing once you start thinking about them.

Ok... The Hunger Games in my opinion is not dark.

My definition of dark literature is something that's unnerving, unsettling, shocking, creepy, and generally anything that the average reader would find offensive or appalling.

I cant really think of novels that fit under dark, but as far as movies go I can name a few. Saw, Hostel, Darko, Metropolis, Silence of the Lambs (kind of) , Jacobs Ladder, An American Crime etc

#47 Posted by Castiel (2422 posts) -

H. P. Lovercraft!

The king of dark unsettling tales.

#48 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Black Blood by John Meaney was pretty dark. They used nerves for telephone wires and burned bodies in reactor piles for energy. Though, really, it's more of a Horror/Sci-Fi book. It's the second in a series, but I didn't have too much difficulty reading it without having read the first book.

#49 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4283 posts) -

@Castiel said:

H. P. Lovercraft!

The king of dark unsettling tales.

#50 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6375 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

American Psycho or Glamorama

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS