Recommend one piece of media you want everyone to check out

This topic is locked from further discussion.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

I say one 'cause a list of recommendations often feels too overwhelming and I think, less likely to be engaged with.

It could be a show, a season of a show or just an episode. It could be a movie (I think you'll quickly push people away if you start naming trilogies), a book, a short story, an album, a song, a music video, and of course, a game.

I'd like for there to be no repeat recommendations but that's probably too much to ask.

My recommendation to you: Horace and Pete
I know people are probably way over Louis CK but this show is an emotional rollercoaster. I really like his show Louie but this might be the best thing he's done or will ever do. Very good. Very very good.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Parasyte: The Maxim is pretty great if you like seeing B-movie horror elements in a story with some actual significant depth to it. Yes, it's anime, that's no excuse to not watch it.

EDIT: Now that I'm not typing on a phone...

Parasyte: The Maxim was originally a manga in the early 1990's that was reworked in 2014 to fit a more modern world (as in, people now have cellphones and the internet). It's about a bunch of alien parasite spores that land on Earth and they take over people. Most of the time, they take over a person's head and they wind up becoming the head and they can blend into human society and transform into some pretty gruesome things. The main character, Shinichi, gets infected with one. It enters his arm and tries to burrow its way up to his head, but Shinichi wraps the cable for his earbuds around his arm as tightly as he can and parasite can't find a way around it, so it takes over his arm instead. So the show is about Shinichi and Shinichi's arm-turned-talking-transforming-parasite-with-a-mind-of-its-own trying to get along and survive when other parasites show up and want to kill them both.

Kitschy, right? It winds up being way, way more than you'd ever expect and it really sells it, too. Don't watch if you've got a problem with bucketloads of gore, but do watch it if you like seeing a few characters who change and grow in a plot that shouldn't be anywhere near as engaging as it is.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

YAKUZA 0!!! Consider me a new fan of this series! Holy crap.

If you're talking about non-gaming stuff, The Raid Redemption is another great action-heavy piece of media from the east!

Both of these things are as HYPE as it gets! Something I feel is lacking on Giant Bomb is hype! I know we've all been conditioned to be cynical because of pre-orders, season passes and the like, but it's great to be excited about video games and media in general sometimes! I love this website and everyone on it, but I hope some people see where I'm coming from. Sorry for my tangent.

Also something different to cover T.V. (I don't watch much) RICK AND MORTY! Great sci-fi comedy animated show! Definitely in my top 5 shows ever !

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

I'd like to quote something in the OP again:

I say one 'cause a list of recommendations often feels too overwhelming and I think, less likely to be engaged with.

I say one 'cause a list of recommendations often feels too overwhelming

I say one

one

...as in "please only post one thing".

This isn't directed towards anybody in particular, I just get the sense that this thread will quickly devolve into people posting a dozen things they think are awesome when that goes against the idea of the thread - pick one thing and hopefully expand on that (I know I didn't expand on Parasyte much, but at least say something).

Also, please push CTRL-F and search for the one thing you want to find. I don't want to see thirty posts suggesting that everyone go populate Ricochet's servers for a few hours.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Planescape Torment is the single greatest interactive novel masquerading as a D&D RPG ever made. Just put all your points into intelligence and wisdom and you'll be fiiiiine.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@justin258: Thanks man for reiterating this. I think this thread will start to suck very quickly otherwise. And I think I will actually check out Parasyte. I haven't had Anime in my life for a bit. Last one was, I think, Monster early last year.

@supermonkey122: If you can, could you just cut it down to one.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@arbitrarywater: I really should play more than the first ten minutes, shouldn't I? Gotta finish some other stuff in my backlog, then I might just do that!

One thing. Let me promote my friends band then!

A small band from Norway, with a good friend of mine on guitar and vocals. They play a lot of styles, so they are kind of a weird band. One of their songs is an homage to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Here's a song.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By Slag

Man I dunno, I always make recommendations based on what I know of another person's tastes.

Since this is a gaming website I'll just go with the usual game I champion. Dragon's Dogma.

Sure it may have some flaws, but it's hands down one of the most unique action adventure games I've ever played. No other game has ever made me feel like I'm really on an adventure, fighting epic battles the way that game did. It's got a real tactile feel to the combat, grabbing onto giant monsters and hacking away at them, rolling and blocking, shooting and casting all feel great. It's got a sense of expedition, where you journey out into the wilds of Gransys and you don't know if you'll make it back before nightfall when it gets real dangerous. It's got a nice sense of place with a lot of great set pieces and a Berserk like aesthetic. It's got a large degree of customization with great job classes and the option to basically build your own party through the Pawn system. It's got a decent postgame where you can find loot in the everfall or face the challenges of Biiterback Isle in the expansion. It's got a sense of choice as you can romance any NPC in the game and make choices in some quests that change your relationship with NPCs. And by golly does it ever have one of the craziest endings I've ever seen in a video game.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Sahalarious

It's gotta be Hannibal, season 1 for me. The acting and cinematography are hypnotic and without equal.

Avatar image for terminallychill
terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By terminallychill

@justin258: I read the Parasyte manga way back in the day and loved it, I haven't seen this anime you're taking about but maybe I'll check it out. I highly recommend that series to anyone who is into graphic novels, I read the Del Rey version. I also saw someone mention Monster, I read the manga not the anime (heard they're pretty similar though) and it's great.

For mine I'll recommend the Eric Andre show, one of the most insane Adult Swim shows ever. Warning: it's definitely explicit haha, it's really funny though. Episodes are only ten minutes so it's easy to get into.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saga

OK, so you're a nearing 30 years old. Maybe you read the odd issue of spiderman or xmen as a kid, maybe not. Either way you probably don't anymore. Not that you have anything against spidey, but comics just arnt for you anymore, right?

Wrong.

So last year I had this revelatory moment when I picked up the first volume of Saga (for under a tenner I might add). Like, holy shit, THIS is what comics are doing these days.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Mind Game.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#13 sweep  Moderator

We typically don't allow these threads because they aren't a discussion. You might as well have called it "name a thing you like!" which is too random and aimless for any kind of meaningful discussion.

Sorry dude, we appreciate you had good intentions but this kind of thread simply isn't productive.