• 72 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Hello people! I was wondering if you guys can recommend me some manga. I like Bleach and Deathnote a lot, so anything like those I would like. Or recommend me some of your favorites.

#2 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Berserk is pretty good.

#3 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

Claymore

Fullmetal Alchemist

#4 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

Pluto

Monster

Mushishi

Detroit Metal City

Anything Junji Ito

#5 Edited by Akyho (1597 posts) -

Dominion, by Masamune Shirow.

Dominion and the anime Dominion Tank Police are my top fave things in the world.

Its a Comedy action police story. Set in the future were Tanks have became the weapon in need to fight everyday terrorists in a smog filled poulleted future. It has some great philosphical moments.

This is from Masamune Shirow. The man who created wrote and drew Ghost in the shell and Appleseed. Which ofcourse you know GITS. I also highly recommended GITS Manga. Its Masamune Shirow! so ofcourse I do.

Here is the Dub intro. Which is different from the Japanese to give you a taste of Dominion and Dominion Tank police. CMON TANK POLICE! The anime is a very good counterpart tot he Manga.

If youd rather the Japanese Dub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRzqjOyeSNc

However is completely unfitting in my opinion. I love the song. I want the Soundtrack and also. There is New Dominion Tank police a second "Series" Which is still awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEE9SQ3IDg4

New DTP Intro Only in Japanese and is kickass and fits. And i actualy own the New DTP soundtrack it is a true treasure.

Altho I do know that manga runs for like 50 books. This only runs for a a few stories and can be picked up in two handy to read books. The first book is self standing and the second one was done years later and continues from the first however many years later in story aswell.

#6 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

@Rudeboy217 said:

Pluto

Monster

Mushishi

Detroit Metal City

Anything Junji Ito

Oh god Junji Ito. Why would you do that to this poor human being?

#7 Posted by egg (1455 posts) -

Buddha

#8 Posted by Aetheldod (3551 posts) -

Ghost in the Shell , Ghost in the Shell Manmachine interface , Blame! , Akira. Elfen Lied , Appleseed , Domu: A child´s Dream. Not exactly manga but the Sandman illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano is nice as well.

#9 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4390 posts) -

Battle Angel Alita

Medaka Box is my new hotness right now, but I don't know if it's been licensed or if i ever will be.

#10 Posted by smokeyd123 (329 posts) -

Switch.

Mardock Scramble.

Berserk.

Akira.

Drifters.

Eden: It's an Endless World.

and the rest of the things recommended by the previous posters, including Ito. Ito's stories are... something else.

#11 Posted by Akyho (1597 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

Battle Angel Alita

Woooft. Battle Angel Alita. I feel that should come with a warning on extreme Violence. Good choice still.

#12 Posted by YI_Orange (1141 posts) -

One Piece. It's a massive undertaking but so worth it. Best Anime/Manga I've experienced. The characters are all so well done, even minor characters.

#13 Posted by Skyfire543 (677 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

Akira, Elfen Lied

I would also recommend Love Roma. I seem to be the only man on earth who read it, but I really liked it.

#14 Posted by smokeyd123 (329 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

Medaka Box is my new hotness right now, but I don't know if it's been licensed or if i ever will be.

I've been watching the adaptation for that, is the manga any different? It seems interesting enough.

#15 Posted by Jesna (81 posts) -

Well since I don't really know too much about your tastes I can't guarantee that these will all be knock-outs, but here are some of my favorites:

Slam Dunk, Gintama, D Gray Man, Basilisk, Great Teacher Onizuka, Monster, Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro, Nodame Cantabile, Yotsuba&, Mushishi.

That's a fairly well rounded list I think.

#16 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@Skyfire543: now you'll be the second man on earth who would possibly like it. I'm gonna check out Love Roma

#17 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4390 posts) -

@smokeyd123 said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

Medaka Box is my new hotness right now, but I don't know if it's been licensed or if i ever will be.

I've been watching the adaptation for that, is the manga any different? It seems interesting enough.

I've only seen a few episodes of the show, but it seems pretty faithful for the most part. The series starts off a bit slow in my opinion, but it ramps up eventually and it just stays crazy. I honestly don't know what to compare it to because so much of it just seems like a big "fuck you" to a lot of things you've come to expect from certain genres and the just the medium in general in a lot of cases.

#18 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

Lots of shitty recommendations here...

The Breaker

Ao no Exorcist

GTO

Until Death Do Us Part

Soul Eater

And if you're ready for the big boy pants:

Noblesse

Girls of the Wilds

Online
#19 Posted by MegaLombax (385 posts) -

Beelzebub, Fairy Tail, Cage of Eden.

#20 Posted by OldGuy (1546 posts) -
Akira I'm pointing you to Vol. 1 -- there are six volumes total. A very well done edition from Dark Horse Comics.
Lone Wolf and Cub 8000 pages of awesome in 28 volumes. The only downside is that it's printed in a 4" x 6" format, so the detailed art is... small. It's out of print, but good used copies are reasonably priced.
#21 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Akyho: How can you recommend both Dominion and GITS but not Appleseed??! Blargargargargarg! Appleseed is fantastic! Such a shame he lost interest in it D:

#22 Posted by Akyho (1597 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

@Akyho: How can you recommend both Dominion and GITS but not Appleseed??! Blargargargargarg! Appleseed is fantastic! Such a shame he lost interest in it D:

Sorry it was meant to go without saying. As I was mainly talking Dominion.

#23 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Akyho said:

@PixelPrinny said:

@Akyho: How can you recommend both Dominion and GITS but not Appleseed??! Blargargargargarg! Appleseed is fantastic! Such a shame he lost interest in it D:

Sorry it was meant to go without saying. As I was mainly talking Dominion.

That's okay, I forgive you.

In other news, another fun one that's fairly obscure that I read years and years and years ago and might be sorta hard to find now is one called Caravan Kidd I kinda don't even remember much about it... Oh well!

Also, Black Lagoon is pretty awesome up until the second Roberta story arc... then it kinda goes to shit for awhile. The author really shoulda done a spin-off series, as it seems he became obsessed with that secondary character, while the main characters were barely in the manga for a good two and a half books... =/

#24 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

@PixelPrinny: I noticed you recommended Black Lagoon. Have you ever read Jormungand? It would be along the same vein as Black Lagoon and I'm wondering if I should pick it up.

#25 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus: I have not, I'm afraid, but a friend did recommend it to me, so there's at least one person out there who likes it. XD

#26 Posted by Akyho (1597 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

Also, Black Lagoon is pretty awesome up until the second Roberta story arc... then it kinda goes to shit for awhile. The author really shoulda done a spin-off series, as it seems he became obsessed with that secondary character, while the main characters were barely in the manga for a good two and a half books... =/

I only watched the anime of Black Lagoon and enjoyed it. Even at that there was a little too much Roberta at a point. However that was smaller than I imagine the book.

#27 Posted by loldetaerleo (159 posts) -

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

#28 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

@PixelPrinny: Fair enough! I hear that the series has an interesting take on armed conflicts from the perspective of an empowered, deceitful lady arms dealer and her crew of elite mercenaries including this boy soldier who has it out for her older brother that basically ruined his life to begin with, so I am really considering picking it up. I enjoy a modern story of intrigue with a focus on weapons!

#29 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Akyho said:

@PixelPrinny said:

Also, Black Lagoon is pretty awesome up until the second Roberta story arc... then it kinda goes to shit for awhile. The author really shoulda done a spin-off series, as it seems he became obsessed with that secondary character, while the main characters were barely in the manga for a good two and a half books... =/

I only watched the anime of Black Lagoon and enjoyed it. Even at that there was a little too much Roberta at a point. However that was smaller than I imagine the book.

I certainly enjoyed the anime and it stops just short of her second arc, putting a much heavier emphasis on the Japan trip than the manga does. They did a 5-part OVA about her second arc that I happily skipped because Roberta can go die in a fucking fire as far as I'm concerned. :D

#30 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus: Any idea how many chapters or books it is? *could totally just google this, but yay for conversation* I've got nothing on my reading plate at the moment and wouldn't mind checking it out if it's not to big an investment.

#31 Edited by Akyho (1597 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

Lagoon and enjoyed it. Even at that there was a little too much Roberta at a point. However that was smaller than I imagine the book.

I certainly enjoyed the anime and it stops just short of her second arc, putting a much heavier emphasis on the Japan trip than the manga does. They did a 5-part OVA about her second arc that I happily skipped because Roberta can go die in a fucking fire as far as I'm concerned. :D

Oh fuck yeah. I remember last year going "oh more Black Lagoon! wait...Roberta?...only Roberta?...NOPE!" I think she is just such a shallow and ridiculous character vs all the colourful and other ridiculous characters. Thats the sad thing. When you put Roberta next to Gun toting big tited Nuns and the Nuns come off better with more character. Why continue with Roberta?

#32 Posted by Seroth (717 posts) -

Junji Ito stuff is great if you're into creepy horrific stuff. :D

Look into Uzumaki and Tomie (Museum of Terror Vol 1 and 2). Gyo is also good for a laugh.

#33 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

@PixelPrinny: Thankfully I am a fiend for taking advantage of internet search engines for the purposes of conversation.

Jormungand has 11 volumes that were published starting 2006, having recently concluded January of this year. Apparently it's being published stateside by VIZ. If it's really worthwhile I'll probably pick it up in paper form. I actually took a peak at the anime since it started airing this season and it looks awesome.

#34 Posted by deathfury (531 posts) -

Here's a few of my favorites.

Holyland

Uzumaki

Monster

The Breaker

Bokurano

Battle Royale

Vagabond

Shigurui

Parasyte

Zetman

Blame!

#35 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4390 posts) -

Well since we're sorta, but not really on the subject, I have a question about Black Lagoon. It has to due with Roberta's Blood Trail arc. I'm not sure if it was the translation, but I never quite understood why everyone thinks Rock is the most dangerous person on the island now more or less. Was it simply the plan he came up with or what? As far as I could tell, the problem seemed to be, and I believe Chang mentioned this but I'm not sure, that Rock was practically using everyone as chess pieces in a 'game' he had no idea if he was going to win.

So was it his "your lives mean nothing" attitude or the fact he was able to control so many people? Or was it something else? I should probably go watch it again. Maybe I missed something as I'm very prone to doing.

#36 Posted by super2j (1666 posts) -

history's strongest disciple is a really good martial arts manga and a good match for bleach.

mirai nikki, which is closer to death note but no where near as smart. I still quite enjoyed it a lot.

sket dance is a great comedy, i only suggest it cause its awesome.

#37 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Akyho said:

@PixelPrinny said:

Lagoon and enjoyed it. Even at that there was a little too much Roberta at a point. However that was smaller than I imagine the book.

I certainly enjoyed the anime and it stops just short of her second arc, putting a much heavier emphasis on the Japan trip than the manga does. They did a 5-part OVA about her second arc that I happily skipped because Roberta can go die in a fucking fire as far as I'm concerned. :D

Oh fuck yeah. I remember last year going "oh more Black Lagoon! wait...Roberta?...only Roberta?...NOPE!" I think she is just such a shallow and ridiculous character vs all the colourful and other ridiculous characters. Thats the sad thing. When you put Roberta next to Gun toting big tited Nuns and the Nuns come off better with more character. Why continue with Roberta?

Good question! But I think the answer is pretty simple -- she was a power fantasy for Rei Hiroe, the author. The guy has a thing for maids with guns (hell, he introduces a second one, during that second arc). It was pretty funny and sad that he apologies throughout the arc for it going on so long -- "Sorry this is so long, but we're at a turning point!", "Sorry this is longer than expected but please bear with me!" etc (Also some of the interviews of his are kinda weeeird lol)

@EquitasInvictus said:

@PixelPrinny: Thankfully I am a fiend for taking advantage of internet search engines for the purposes of conversation.

Jormungand has 11 volumes that were published starting 2006, having recently concluded January of this year. Apparently it's being published stateside by VIZ. If it's really worthwhile I'll probably pick it up in paper form. I actually took a peak at the anime since it started airing this season and it looks awesome.

Ahh awesome, thanks for looking that up. 11 sounds reasonable and if they're publishing it stateside all the better! I think I'll jump into a few eps of the anime and see how those are; if they're enjoyable I'll certainly give the manga a go :)

#38 Edited by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

Well since we're sorta, but not really on the subject, I have a question about Black Lagoon. It has to due with Roberta's Blood Trail arc. I'm not sure if it was the translation, but I never quite understood why everyone thinks Rock is the most dangerous person on the island now more or less. Was it simply the plan he came up with or what? As far as I could tell, the problem seemed to be, and I believe Chang mentioned this but I'm not sure, that Rock was practically using everyone as chess pieces in a 'game' he had no idea if he was going to win.

So was it his "your lives mean nothing" attitude or the fact he was able to control so many people? Or was it something else? I should probably go watch it again. Maybe I missed something as I'm very prone to doing.

Oh man, that was part of what made the whole arc awful. Rock's sole purpose in it is to just sit there talking about his stupid chess analogy while the story never actually did anything with it or showed him actually doing anything useful. It made no fucking sense at all. In fact the only thing that made less sense was when, out of nowhere, Balalaika gives some speech about how she and her crew are ready to go off to battle and die. Like what the hell? She wasn't even enemies with Roberta and if Roberta is so insanely godlike that she could take Balalaika and her entire army, that would just be mind-bogglingly stupid. The only others involved were those American mercenaries and they were a fucking joke.

The whole arc is garbage.

#39 Posted by not_a_bumblebee (24 posts) -

This manga called The Goon reads just like a comic and is awesome.

#40 Posted by TheHT (11130 posts) -

Akira

Berserk

Trigun

#41 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4390 posts) -

@PixelPrinny: Ok I'm glad I'm not insane then. When I watched and read it a while back, i thought maybe I was just missing something because, you're right, it just didn't make sense. Now that I know I'm not alone, maybe I just chalk it up to bad writing.

Honestly, now that I think about it though, the only thing I can remember that I liked during the arc was the conversation Revy had with Fabiola on the boat, but that's because I'm a sucker for cheap romance in my action manga lol.

#42 Posted by Mowgers (379 posts) -

I usually go to manga for the art rather than the plot, so heres a few I like in particular. BE WARNED: the stories in these may make zero fucking sense.

  • Blame! is dialogue light and a little confusing, but the artist used to be an architect so the backgrounds are spectacular. Really creepy monster designs too. The art sells it.
  • Blade of the Immortal has great dialogue, beautiful pencils and the main character is an immortal samurai who carries like, 12 swords in his coat. There's a lot of it, though, and the books aren't cheap.
  • Bambie and her Pink Gun is weird, but I love it. It's almost nihilistically violent, but the art fucking kills and its got this tank girl-esque punk rock sensibility going through it. Think that there's only two volumes though, and it doesn't conclude. Probably dead.
  • Anything by Shirow Masamune is great providing you either avoid or can get past the porno he likes to put into everything these days. Just weird, oiled up ladies with torpedo boobs. Creepy.
#43 Edited by M_Shini (551 posts) -

Death Note

i'm Book 7 in still got plenty's to go!

#44 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

I'm not a huge Manga fan, but these are the ones I've read and liked:

Akira

Battle Royale (even though theres random nudity in it that made me uncomfortable)

Tekkonkinkreet

#45 Posted by Deadmanforking (575 posts) -

I've not really been reading as much manga as I used to, out of the ones I still read I'd highly recommend Air Gear, GTO and Letter Bee.

#46 Edited by phampire (284 posts) -

One Piece and Fairy Tail seem pretty popular and are popular amongst Bleach fans. But if I had one recommendation it would be Berserk. The art is the best I have seen, though it is super violent and pretty grim at times, but there is nothing else like it.

Edit: Oh there is nudity, sex scenes, ample amounts of gore, so its not for the squeamish or easily offended, just thought to give a heads up.

#47 Posted by DallasTheGamer (154 posts) -

Check out Fullmetal Alchemist, Code Geass and Defense Devil. I really like those alot. : )

#48 Posted by InfiniteSpark (302 posts) -

I'll throw in a few of my favorites to recommend.

Azumanga Daioh - for slapstick comedy, 4 panels per strip (like a daily newspaper cartoon)

Yotsuba&! - fun slice-of-life from a young girl's perspective

Solanin; What a Wonderful World - adult-themed slice-of-life stories, mostly revolving how the characters struggle to find happiness in their lives

Online
#49 Posted by Largo6661 (333 posts) -

perfect blue, in fact anything by Satoshi Kon is great

#50 Posted by Lazyaza (2176 posts) -

If you're after some darker manga I highly recommend Gantz and Zetman. For comedy I'd say go with Great Teacher Onizuka and Cromartie Highschool.

All of those got turned in to anime as well, with varying degress of changes between the books n shows but they're all pretty good.