record breaking 20 crunches and 7 pushups

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By envane

hey guys , im so god damn exhausted , hehe , I am not particularly overweight but I am definitely unfit beyond my wildest dreams , part of a new years change of habits ( i didnt make any resolutions etc ) .. but damn , i was going for 10 push ups but i just couldn't do it and decided not to push myself .. baby steps.

anyone else suffering/enjoying the beginning of a transition to something different this year?

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By intro

Nah, never got into making a resolution for New Years. When I feel like something should be done differently, I start the change asap. Not that there's anything wrong with making a New Years resolution, it's just never been my thing lol.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@Intro said:

Nah, never got into making a resolution for New Years. When I feel like something should be done differently, I start the change asap. Not that there's anything wrong with making a New Years resolution, it's just never been my thing lol.

I'm the same way. For me setting a New Year's resolution is setting myself up for failure because I'll get bored with it by mid-January.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

I don't have a problem with push ups, I only weigh around 120 pounds though so there's not much to lift...

I start university this year so I'm planning to start protein shakes and lifting, pretty excited for all of that. :) I run 2 miles twice a week too.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Flappy

More power to ya, homie. I'm pretty fit, but I'm also a bit on the "tall and lanky" side. There have been times where I've wanted to bulk up a bit, but laziness is a biznatch.

Do your thang.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By envane

Well yeah , I just made the snap decision to do it , no arbitrary obligations but hey , id like to be in a bit better shape than i am now.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By breadfan

My resolution is attempting to quit smoking for the billionth time. Hoping it will be more successful this time around, as a group of my friends are also trying to quit as well.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

My new year's resolution is to be less resolute.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By s10129107

Do as many pushups as you can, then drop to your knees and do as many girl pushups as you can, and then go to a counter or table and do as many as it takes to do 20. Those are called drop sets. Do 5 sets like that. You'll be able to knock out sets of 20 in no time. I do the same thing. My personal goal is 100, but i'm a bit off of that. Set your goal, make a plan and stick to it. You'll get there!

I'm over 230 pounds, so weight shouldnt be an obstacle.

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tan

@envane said:

decided not to push myself

First mistake

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

@Intro said:

I'm the same way. For me setting a New Year's resolution is setting myself up for failure because I'll get bored with it by mid-January.

Plus, new years resolutions are pretty much made in haste or because 'that's what people do', if people really want to change, they need a core lifestyle change that happens immediately. Planning to do something does nothing, you have to just start, no matter what part of the year it falls on.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HerbieBug

It's better to start out doing knee pushups if the conventional ones are too difficult. Many reps of the easier position is better than struggling to only manage a few in the regular position. Slow and steady. Rushing = injury.

I have been sort of attempting to get into better shape for ski season this year. Went last month for the first time in what I believe was something on the order of 10 years. Legs were screaming at me within an hour on novice runs. Have been doing regular ski-focused leg exercises and slowly working the strength back up. Went skiing last week and legs held up the full day.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says

what's the standard amount of pull ups an average person can do anyway? just wondering....

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust
@BestUsernameEver said:

@Intro said:

Plus, new years resolutions are pretty much made in haste or because 'that's what people do', if people really want to change, they need a core lifestyle change that happens immediately. Planning to do something does nothing, you have to just start, no matter what part of the year it falls on.

"Do or do not. There is no try. "

I'm in one such change. I'm running and doing 60 crunches and 7 pushups a few times a week. I've decided to start again since I quit the gym last year. 

Also an advice from a life coacher: set a minimum bar for your effort, and try to surpass it. When you do you'll feel twice happy, for your figure and for effort.
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Vinny_Says said:

what's the standard amount of pull ups an average person can do anyway? just wondering....

At my peak I could do 10 picture perfect pull ups in a set, which seemed to be more than most. It sure seemed to impress the girls in my high school gym class who watched me as I did them, that's for sure. Last time I tried I couldn't even do 3. Now I'm not sure I could do more than 1, if I can even do the 1...

I really need to get a pull up bar again.

I don't even weigh all that much more than I did. I hovered between 140 - 160 back then, now I'm 165.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Jeust said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Intro said:

"Do or do not. There is no try. " I'm in one such change. I'm running and doing 60 crunches and 7 pushups a few times a week. I've decided to start again since I quit the gym last year. Also an advice from a life coacher: set a minimum bar for your effort, and try to surpass it. When you do you'll feel twice happy, for your figure and for effort.

And another tip, when you compete your day's goal, make a check on a calendar, and obviously do not when you fail to accomplish the days goals, this motivates you to fill the month with checks. I know it sounds dumb, but it does work.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By PandaBear

@Tan said:

@envane said:

First mistake

QFT

Every time it hurts you have to to yourself say "why bother training in your comfort zone?". You should feel like you want to die. I lost about 24kg (51lb) in 18 months doing that. Not a fast drop I know, but I'm fitter than I have been in years.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By inkerman

@PandaBear said:

@Tan said:

@envane said:

First mistake

QFT

Every time it hurts you have to to yourself say "why bother training in your comfort zone?". You should feel like you want to die. I lost about 24kg (51lb) in 18 months doing that. Not a fast drop I know, but I'm fitter than I have been in years.

Yep, when doing these kinds of exercises, do them till you literally cannot do another one.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By jonnyboy

Most of the year my gym is pretty quiet, yesterday it was fucking packed.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Trainer_Red

My New Year's resolution is to stop getting in trouble with the government and/or local law enforcement.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By John1912

I used to do reps of 50 push ups 3x.....Now one set of 7 sounds about right :-/

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By envane

I think I will settle into a regimen when doing such a small amount doesnt kill me , ive just got a really fucked back (due to spinabifida, not just lazyness) and im 6'8" so that doesnt help much either.

And yeah , my goal for the next day is to do equal or better than whatever i did the day before. I was inspired by the sheer insanity of JoeyF and his 1000+ pushups for charity in the last oktobercast

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By nightriff

At my fittest (2 years ago) I could do 3 Sets of 15 Pull Ups and a 4th that varied from 10 to 15. I felt like a beast...now I don't even want to know, my new years resolution is to eat better and start running again. Getting married last year and expecting a child now made me put on 20 to 30 pounds, super depressing. Congrats on your accomplishment.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Seppli

I work out religiously. My rule: 'Don't do more, than you can imagine doing for the rest of your life - every single day!'. Push-ups-wise, I'm currently doing 60 every day, as in 3x 20 reps. Pondering to commit to 3x30 reps soon. Started out with 1x5 reps, for reference.

After keeping it up for many years, my daily work-outs have become a compulsion - an almost religious ritual - rather than a chore. I need it to feel good about my day. Once you're there, you've arrived.