Remembering Hiragana (Japanese)?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

I'm just looking for some methods to help me remember Hiragana. Also, a good chart. I started a class last night, about 3 and a 1/2 hours of getting information crammed down our throats. I have a textbook and I'm pretty much done with my homework. (All I had to do was cross-check the Hiragana.) But there's always something to help you remember a language's tricks. I'm looking for that "something."

Any other resources you can recommend would be great. I have classes on Tuesday and Thursday until June 17th I believe. It'd be nice to double-up on knowledge to help me learn faster. (Hopefully you see this thread Pepsiman. You're usually the go-to guy for this kind of stuff.)

Here's a video as my thanks. Enjoy.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By dsplayer1010

http://ichi2.net/anki/

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Flash cards did it for me back in the day.

I drew them myself.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By buzz_clik

Flash cards for me, too (same with Katakana) - we had the ones where they associate the character form with a wee picture of something else to help you remember. Like 'a' looks like an 'a'-ntenna. Uh... allegedly.

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By CSXLoser

as you start writing and reading japanese more, it just gets in your head :P

especially when it comes to recognizing. Writing from memorizion takes more will
solidsnake360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By solidsnake360

Trust me, once you get them in your head and start to use them, they will be borderline impossible to forget. がんばって!

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By buzz_clik
@solidsnake360: Awww, a word of encouragement! Noice.

Although now I've got the opening song to the first N64 Goemon stuck in my head.
solidsnake360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By solidsnake360
buzz_clik said:
@solidsnake360: Awww, a word of encouragement! Noice.Although now I've got the opening song to the first N64 Goemon stuck in ... [more]
Gotta love Hironobu Kageyama lol.
CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By CSXLoser

do you guys took classes during free time or doing it for highschool/college?

Im in 2nd yr in highschool and my god... my sensei is scary.

For 20% of our final exam grade, we had to read this 2 paragraph email and do 5 reading comprenhison questions.

I swear 90% of the words and kanji she never taught. Only the crazy people who have been learning japanese online before taking the class or watch craploads of anime got all 5 right.

1st question was "What was Emi-san doing before she visited Japan?"

...There was no mention of Japan in the entire email D:

The highest grade i can make on my final exam is an 88 now lol

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By KamasamaK
Kanamemo is what I used. And here is a good non-interactive resource (with practice exercises).
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#11  Edited By JackiJinx

I memorized hiragana by using it and reading it mostly. Also, SRS is very helpful. SRS is basically flashcards, but to the point where it helps you evaluate what you need to go over and study. I practice all my writing on a portable whiteboard, so I don't go wasting paper. Good stuff.

Here's an SRS that I use. If you don't like making your own cards, try using this list on smart.fm. If you feel like going a step further, they also have a katakana list and PLENTY of kanji lists available as well. Enjoy.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By buzz_clik

I did Japanese all through high school, but that was... ugh, 15 years ago.

Funnily enough, I remember more of it when I'm drunk. Hontou.

Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By RelentlessKnight

My strategy is to remember it like the abcs; it will eventually flow through your brain like a rhythm.  Ganbette!

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo

Thanks for the information guys. Didn't expect so many replies. I will look into these resources.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By RetroIce4
buzz_clik said:
@solidsnake360: Awww, a word of encouragement! Noice.Although now I've got the opening song to the first N64 Goemon stuck in ... [more]
I AM IMPACT!
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By AgentJ

It doesnt seem to work for everybody, but My Japanese Coach helped a ton right before i went to Japan. Go pick it up

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JakJ

Just practice writing them over and over and over again, each time mentally saying the character. This not only helps you memorize them, but it will help make your handwriting look less like a kindergartner's. And once they're in your head and hand they're in for life.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BrickRoad

I started a japanese course too. I'm 2 lessons in, and starting to remember the odd hiragana here and there. Bizarrely I already know Katakana without the need of the course, but that's not helping me very much, apart from the similar shapes like Ka and Ri. I changed the wallpaper on my desktop to have certain japanese words in places I know I look regularly. Hajimeru for example and Gomibako. I may even switch to the japanese langauge on my computer when I get more confident. I didn't use flash cards for Katakana, but I did when I tried to learn Hiragana on my own. It didn't work though. Having said that I may go find them as I reckon I'd know what's on them now better than I did then.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vinchenzo
@AgentJ: I heard that a couple things on "My Japanese Coach" were incorrect. So I decided to just avoid it. I don't want to learn the wrong stuff, it'll be hard to correct.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#20  Edited By AgentJ

That may be true with words and pronunciation or something, but all of the hiragana and katakana are shaped correctly, so you shouldn't have a problem

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By rinkalicous

if you don't have enough resources already, This is how I learnt.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vinchenzo
@JackiJinx: Jacki would it be too much to ask for your help? This SRS site seems very promising, and exactly what I need. I'd like to begin tomorrow if possible. How exactly does it work? And can you help me find a suitable Hiragana SRS for it? Like I said, I don't understand how to... get it going. Thanks.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#23  Edited By JackiJinx
@Vinchenzo: Basically, for that SRS reader, you make your own cards. The question field is the English portion of what you want to remember where as the answer part is the Japanese. You can reverse it, but it's not quite as likely to stay in your head that way.

I've been trying out a different reader where there are pre-made decks, and lo and behold, there's a premade deck for kana. You can do it either in browser or download the SRS, but you can only access shared decks through the download. Once you download the SRS, you go to File > Download Shared Deck, and then in the search bar, enter Japanese Kana and download it. Not sure if you're aware or not, but kana also involves katakana. It's the only premade deck with hiragana in it, so it's the best to go with. Also, I completely forgot that when I was learning hiragana, I did a lot of research and found sites with memorization techniques. I didn't really use them, but they may help you.

Just remember: do more studying than researching ways to study. Even if you only get one character down a day, it's better than not getting any characters down any days.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vinchenzo
@JackiJinx: Thank you for that information. I downloaded the SRS and the Japanese Kana extension. I mean, I'll have to learn Katakana at some point. I might use some other links here as well.