harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By harinosho

Hey GB

I have a set of windows I need to remove sandblasting from, this seems to be harder than I thought.

Does anyone have any advise to remove this stuff? I did some research, some mentioned that paint thinners or metal polish might work?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

I was starting to think "sandblasting" was some IT term I was not familiar with.

Can't help you though. From a quick google search it seems sandblasting is an activity. I'm confused by your post.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By harinosho
No Caption Provided

@Snail said:

I was starting to think "sandblasting" was some IT term I was not familiar with.

Can't help you though. From a quick google search it seems sandblasting is an activity. I'm confused by your post.

I know what you mean, but sandblasted windows looks like that image on the right.

Im trying to remove that texture from my windows. No luck in finding something though.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Coombs

Isn't that pretty much etched into the glass?

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Grillbar

here is what you do.

buy new windows. it is possible to "remove" the sandblasting but its fairly conplicated, hard, expensive and lastly pointless.

your pretty much scuffing the glass.

basically when you sandblast some metal sheets or whatever you use tiny sand grains at high pressure to blast (hence the name) the sheet. basically polishing it. with glass your doing the opposite.

if you mean that your windows are frosted, it will most likely be with a film of some sort either vinyl or Polyester or a coated spay

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By harinosho

Its another layer on the glass, least that's what i have been told by the people that installed it years ago.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@harinosho:

I used to sand blast stuff in high school.

You're essentially shooting fine grain particles at a piece of glass at a high speed. It's kind of like an ink jet printer. But instead of being additive where you're adding ink to paper, its reductive, your "ink" is removing layers of paper.

Feel the frosted area. Is it raised? (sprayed) or Recessed? (Etched)

If it's the spray on stuff, I'm guessing it's just a textured semi-transparent paint. Krylon makes a spray on glass frost paint. How big are your windows?

Nowadays, I use something called Simplegreen to remove spray paint and automotive primer from my Warhammer miniatures. An overnight soak has the sprayed on paint coming off in rubbery chunks. If its spray on glass frost, it should take it off.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By harinosho

@zelyre said:

@harinosho:

I used to sand blast stuff in high school.

You're essentially shooting fine grain particles at a piece of glass at a high speed. It's kind of like an ink jet printer. But instead of being additive where you're adding ink to paper, its reductive, your "ink" is removing layers of paper.

Feel the frosted area. Is it raised? (sprayed) or Recessed? (Etched)

If it's the spray on stuff, I'm guessing it's just a textured semi-transparent paint. Krylon makes a spray on glass frost paint. How big are your windows?

Nowadays, I use something called Simplegreen to remove spray paint and automotive primer from my Warhammer miniatures. An overnight soak has the sprayed on paint coming off in rubbery chunks. If its spray on glass frost, it should take it off.

window is about 190 by 200 CM. It feels recessed, so I am guessing it may be impossible?