#1 Posted by Wakapeil (25 posts) -

Yesterday I got a surprise invite to see the new Resident Evil movie. I did not even know there was a new one. I can not remember ever seeing a dumber movie. The acting most of the time reminded me of the classic psx opening of the first game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GyOYaDHquE). There was not as much a story as excuses to string together ridiculous over the top sequences. The games and the movies also have had nothing in common except for characters and location for a long time.

Despite or maybe because all of this I had a really good time. The action, while nonsensical, was a lot of fun and the 3D looked great. The "so bad it is good" feeling was in full gear from the opening to the end credits. As fellow GB user Aznan put it the film had an extreme "face palm ratio". I just sat in the theatre with a dumb smile on my face for the entire movie wondering if what I was seeing was on purpose or not.

If you are looking for dumb fun I highly recommend it but if you demand any kind of story coherence or acting ability from your movies you should definitely avoid it.

#2 Posted by DarthOrange (3861 posts) -

I saw it this weekend and I also thought it was a good popcorn flick. Barry Burton was awesome, and who doesn't love Milla Jovovich? The plot was dumb and extremely videogamey. Go through these "levels" and defeat the "bosses". 3D worked well for the snow stuff and for all those jump scares too. I recommend this movie, because it is ok for a movie to be dumb action-filled fun. And that ending? I for one can't wait for the next movie.

#3 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Movie sucked, Jovovich sucked, Anderson sucks.

#4 Posted by DarthOrange (3861 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Take it back!!!!!!

#5 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

im a very big resident evil fan so these movies are mostly a no go for me.its hard for me to even enjoy them simply as trashy action movies. even if you removed any and all refrences to resident evil it would still be a lame series of movie. in fact,i highly doubt they movies would have gotten this far if they had been called somthing else (which they should have been since they have nothing in common with the games). as far as the being very video gamey,i call bullshit. thats just terrible film making.it's obvious that nobody involved with these movies have played any of the games and have no knowledge of them aside from watching a few game play clips. the "game" aspect of the films is simply what an outsider to gaming would consider as video game stuff. lots of action and non sensical crap.

i gaurentee you that if they were making a movie from a book a large majority of the talent involved would read the book, but since it's a video game it's just." oh hey, make her do a 360 flip and then explode into fire works,because VIDEO GAMES." that said. these movies are not terrible just way below average and it pisses me off to know i may never get a REAL resident evil movie.

#6 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Take it back!!!!!!

NEVER!

#7 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99 said:

im a very big resident evil fan so these movies are mostly a no go for me.its hard for me to even enjoy them simply as trashy action movies. even if you removed any and all refrences to resident evil it would still be a lame series of movie. in fact,i highly doubt they movies would have gotten this far if they had been called somthing else (which they should have been since they have nothing in common with the games). as far as the being very video gamey,i call bullshit. thats just terrible film making.it's obvious that nobody involved with these movies have played any of the games and have no knowledge of them aside from watching a few game play clips. the "game" aspect of the films is simply what an outsider to gaming would consider as video game stuff. lots of action and non sensical crap.

i gaurentee you that if they were making a movie from a book a large majority of the talent involved would read the book, but since it's a video game it's just." oh hey, make her do a 360 flip and then explode into fire works,because VIDEO GAMES." that said. these movies are not terrible just way below average and it pisses me off to know i may never get a REAL resident evil movie.

If it makes you feel any better, Paul went on record saying that he might not continue with the franchise. CROSS THEM FINGERS!

#8 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER: i do all the time. i constantly hope they quit making the movies for about ten years and then knock it outta the park with a remake.

#9 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: i do all the time. i constantly hope they quit making the movies for about ten years and then knock it outta the park with a remake.

I agree 100%. I feel like the mansion would have been a great opener for the franchise. It was big and scary as hell. Why they chose "The Hive" over the mansion, I will never know. Also, I would enjoy the movies way more if they stuck with the original main characters from the game. Alice was completely unnecessary as well as the whole superpowers bit.

#10 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -

Saw it a couple of days ago and loved it. Everything in this movie is so dumb in the best way possible and the plot holes are without number. It's fantastic.

And that ending, man. I'm way more excited for the sixth movie than I am for Resident Evil 6.

#11 Posted by Hunter5024 (5681 posts) -

If I saw this movie without seeing any of the other movies, would it be dumb and incomprehensible enough that it becomes so bad it's good again?

#12 Posted by Yummylee (21629 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

If I saw this movie without seeing any of the other movies, would it be dumb and incomprehensible enough that it becomes so bad it's good again?

It would probably still be dumb (actually, that's a definite) and incomprehensible even if you have seen the other movies.

#13 Posted by DarthOrange (3861 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99 said:

it's obvious that nobody involved with these movies have played any of the games and have no knowledge of them aside from watching a few game play clips. the "game" aspect of the films is simply what an outsider to gaming would consider as video game stuff. lots of action and non sensical crap.

Trust me, there are plenty of winks and nods. Like Leon almost getting his head cut off with a chainsaw, or Leon telling Alice that he would never risk his life just to save one person. Or Barry being a total badass and getting slashed in the face by a licker and still getting up to fight. Or Ada's grappling hook, or Wesker's super speed, or Barry's Magnum. Or the Mortal Kombat X-Ray moves. Someone over there clearly understood what videogames are, cheesy don't think about it too hard fun.

@Hunter5024 said:

There is literally a recap of all four movies at the beginning of this film, narrated by the beautiful Milla Jovovich. It will make enough sense. Go watch it if you are in the least bit interested, just don't be expecting to see Citizen Kane. This movie knows what it is and it does it well.

#14 Posted by minotaka (320 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Well said, my man.

#15 Posted by minotaka (320 posts) -

@Hunter5024: The whole series of films is a giant 'fuck you' to the Resi' fan base. Anderson has basically taken a look at some of the games and thought "Ahh, now THAT'S what I need in the next film" - all the while making his own plot. So... It kinda does mean you have to watch all of them before seeing this one.. To which I say, I'm sorry. They're hilariously shite.