Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -

I'm an aspiring filmmaker... and kind of a journalist. So if my reviews seem amateurish or mediocre... well... I'm still trying to find my footing. Constructive criticism is definitely welcome!! and Thank you for reading :D 

--- 

"Ernest Hemingway once said 'All I want to do is write one true sentence'... he also tried to scratch an itch on the back of his head with a shotgun."  

---

The redband trailer can be found in the comments section (Thanks Milkman!)   

1) There is a much better quote that I could've used, but I want to save that for people who actually watch the movie. 
2) This is the most misleading trailer ever, while it is still pretty funny. 

This movie is literally a dark comedy. Some people don't like this genre (while others praise it), some don't think it's an actual genre, and etc. But after much speculation... I realize that calling World's Greatest Dad a dark comedy is the only way to really describe it. The movie starts out crass, strong, semi-depressing, and vulgar. Most movies like this end up staying (and maybe even dumbing down a little) this way until the end with the "big" payoff. This movie is different in which it goes off the rails and becomes pretty f*cked up... it's shockingly messed up. But the plus side is that the movie manages to get so messed up, and yet manage to stay hilarious when messed up and when not messed up... it's the perfect balance. Several points of the humor comes from the special place of satire. A lot of the characters really make fun of kids you knew in high school and people around your workspace... it's insanely well done and brilliantly written in a subtle parody sense. Along with all of this, the movie pays off so well emotionally and basically overall. The ending feels so good and perfect, that I can call it genius. This is what Jody Hill (Observe and Report, The Foot Fist Way) is basically going for; a vulgar, dark comedy that brings people down to base and depresses them, until leading to and with true, heartfelt emotion. Sorry to side track like that, but it's just a comparison... and a way for me to bring up Jody Hill... damn he's going to make it big (I hope.) I digress. World's Greatest Dad is a satirical dark comedy that I wish I could spoil, but it's too special and important. There's a hidden layer of depth found here, and yet, the movie still manages to be hilarious and F*CKED UP (in aspects)... but it has a heart.    

World's Greatest Dad is about Lance Clayton, an author who has not been able to get any of his 5 books published. Lance has a girlfriend, who is technically cheating on her The Rock look-a-like successful teacher boyfriend. Lance also has a son, who I can only describe as a huge piece of sh*t. This kid is disrespectful, loud, annoying, disgusting, vulgar, purely rude, and overall just a terrible individual. I'm not sugar coating it here, man. This kid is f*cked up and is just so mean to everybody, even his best friend Andrew (who's a vegetarian.) Yes, Lance's life is a subtle mix of miserable and semi-smooth. I truly wish I could continue with the story, but that would ruin the movie's charm kind of. You must come into the movie with an open mind of anything to happen other than small background information like I just gave you. The story goes bananas and in insanely strange directions which range from depressing, hilarious, and even heartwarming. Yes, despite all of the vulgarity and shocking moments, the movie can be considered and should be considered heartwarming. The movie actually gives off messages and themes, believe it or not. It's technically about greed and the people you surround yourself in everyday. Lance is faced with some moral choices which would lead him to an even more depressing life or the one he's always wanted. It's all about if what he chooses is right or wrong, and for who. In the end... it's almost poetic, the way this movie is written and shown off. I'm insanely proud of this film and director Bobcat Goldthwait (which is the best name I've heart in quite some time.) What Bobcat and crew did here is hilarious and truly beautiful. 

I like the way this movie looks and feels. Bobcat never backed down from being I guess edgy and messed up. He manages to bring so much loud, curse filled, innuendo consisted comedy into this already depressing story and gets away with it. He doesn't apologize for anything, and it's genius in that way. Another way he manages to be funny is with the way it's shot. Some of the camera movement and editing add subtle humor, as well as just looking much better than many other movies. You can tell Bobcat wanted to not leave out the cinematography aspect out of the picture and have some movement going on (like Judd Apatow's Funny People and Kevin Smith's Clerks II.) The movie is so well rounded in almost every genre and aspect (even romance... shockingly.) And right by him, man. Everything looks good, especially the scenes of struggle and montages (which are ridiculously well cut, edited, and put together in a humorous yet devastating manner.) Even some still scenes were shot at great, random angles and with the camera bobbing around like a documentary, letting you feel like you're with the characters. It's this kind of stuff that give off an artistic sense that isn't just bullsh*ted, but rather well placed. There is also one specific scene that is so well done that it makes this movie a 5/5 from the way it's told and how it's shot. It's similar to Observe and Report's ending where it is damned hilarious and yet there is something there that is deeper and more profound than anything you've probably seen (well... than most things you've seen.)  

The score and soundtrack is a mosh pit consisting of Napoleon Dynamite-esque keyboard muzak, indie piano rock, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia bright almost holiday like music, Bruce Hornsby, and very interesting and well picked indie music. The use of the music is tragically brilliant, in the sense that almost every song used is either perfectly tuned for the emotion of the scene or just so contradicted of what the scene is giving off that it's kind of funny. It's strange having semi-happy music playing while such depressing stuff is occurring on screen... it's genius. The pacing of the scenes are so well matched with each piece of music... it feels like the music is the one controlling the scenes they're a part of. It's quite humorous at points, and even intense. The people in charge really knew how to slow down and show emotion at proper times (along with ones that are unexpected.) They know how to tug on your heartstrings. It's actually very heartwarming at times... even if it is such a small aspect that barely becomes huge for the movie, it affects it in a small but strong way when you hear it... especially the ending. Everything is well placed and timed... which just adds to the movie's ability to be so well rounded and interesting.  

Kudos to the entire cast, honestly. Such a great job from everybody, even the overdone charicatures of high school students, like the jock, nerd, and goth (hell, there is a red-haired girl with glasses whose name is literally Ginger.) Honestly though, Robin Williams and Daryl Sabara (yup... the kid from Spy Kids) were the true stars. Robin's role of depressed but trying to be happy for others is so true to the people who actually have to act like this. How he deals with disappointment and shock is very human and honest, as well as the rest of how he acts. It's just so much like a regular man being dealt a terrible hand of cards (similar to Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad... but less meth.) He's knowledgeable, and passionate about the stuff he loves, like zombie movies and in general writing. And when he relates to someone about such things, he's a smooth guy and knows what he's talking about... it's kinda cute. And most of all, Lance is a tragic character, mainly because he can be so much like someone you know, especially a father (C WAT I DID THUR?!) And it's hard seeing someone so similar to a close one to you being hurt badly and doing such strange things. Daryl's role as Robin's son is... is a brave one. The awkwardness around girls, the constant cursing and anger toward others (even ones you kind of love), the obscure ways of and consistent masturbation... it's such a strange role that requires a fearless one to do such things. In short, he's damned hilarious even if he is a little asshole... it's just funny how big of one he is. You might never meet such a kid in real life who is so offensive and disgusting... it's insanely unique and just mixed on how you feel about his character. You will hate him with a passion but find him kind of funny at points... then again the reason you'll find him funny is because he's such a big douche bag. I really don't know how to finish this off without saying any more... because damn Robin's and Daryl's roles are so well done that it makes the movie so much more interesting. It's great in so many ways.

I made the parallel to Jody Hill and his films several times already, and that's because they're insanely similar in how they will attract viewers. This movie will not be for everybody, but you must at least try it because if you end up liking it, you'll love it. This movie will offend people with it's harsh words, but for people who can look past this, you will find something truly beautiful (yes, I thought Observe and Report was beautiful.) I could've gone more in depth with the story, but honestly... such a small step into it here, and I would feel like I've ruined it for you. This movie feels important and people must see this, for as satirical as it is, it has some stuff that will be a wake up call for a lot of people who need to find happiness or even people who are hurtful to you and others and just don't know it. ...THIS MOVIE IS PRETTY DAMNED F*CKED UP. I've said this before, and I'll continue to say it. Hell, I say "genius" and "heartwarming" a little too much, but I just can't but help over emphasize it... this movie is really freaking good. Only some parts you'll see first and see as messed up, but as the story progresses, it just feels so wrong for many of the characters and their actions. And man how depressing it can get... director and writer Bobcat Goldthwait (I will never get tired of saying that) is a subtle, messed up genius. Despite all of this, it's freaking hilarious in it's writing, cinematic aspects, and actions. World's Greatest Dad is such a shocking movie... and yet is has something to say and show that is really beautiful and touching. Also, the ending is AMAZING... *cough*... sorry. 

I can't say much more... go to a Best Buy and buy a copy of this movie. You must not miss out on this film.

5 well deserved stars out of 5

#1 Edited by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -

I'm an aspiring filmmaker... and kind of a journalist. So if my reviews seem amateurish or mediocre... well... I'm still trying to find my footing. Constructive criticism is definitely welcome!! and Thank you for reading :D 

--- 

"Ernest Hemingway once said 'All I want to do is write one true sentence'... he also tried to scratch an itch on the back of his head with a shotgun."  

---

The redband trailer can be found in the comments section (Thanks Milkman!)   

1) There is a much better quote that I could've used, but I want to save that for people who actually watch the movie. 
2) This is the most misleading trailer ever, while it is still pretty funny. 

This movie is literally a dark comedy. Some people don't like this genre (while others praise it), some don't think it's an actual genre, and etc. But after much speculation... I realize that calling World's Greatest Dad a dark comedy is the only way to really describe it. The movie starts out crass, strong, semi-depressing, and vulgar. Most movies like this end up staying (and maybe even dumbing down a little) this way until the end with the "big" payoff. This movie is different in which it goes off the rails and becomes pretty f*cked up... it's shockingly messed up. But the plus side is that the movie manages to get so messed up, and yet manage to stay hilarious when messed up and when not messed up... it's the perfect balance. Several points of the humor comes from the special place of satire. A lot of the characters really make fun of kids you knew in high school and people around your workspace... it's insanely well done and brilliantly written in a subtle parody sense. Along with all of this, the movie pays off so well emotionally and basically overall. The ending feels so good and perfect, that I can call it genius. This is what Jody Hill (Observe and Report, The Foot Fist Way) is basically going for; a vulgar, dark comedy that brings people down to base and depresses them, until leading to and with true, heartfelt emotion. Sorry to side track like that, but it's just a comparison... and a way for me to bring up Jody Hill... damn he's going to make it big (I hope.) I digress. World's Greatest Dad is a satirical dark comedy that I wish I could spoil, but it's too special and important. There's a hidden layer of depth found here, and yet, the movie still manages to be hilarious and F*CKED UP (in aspects)... but it has a heart.    

World's Greatest Dad is about Lance Clayton, an author who has not been able to get any of his 5 books published. Lance has a girlfriend, who is technically cheating on her The Rock look-a-like successful teacher boyfriend. Lance also has a son, who I can only describe as a huge piece of sh*t. This kid is disrespectful, loud, annoying, disgusting, vulgar, purely rude, and overall just a terrible individual. I'm not sugar coating it here, man. This kid is f*cked up and is just so mean to everybody, even his best friend Andrew (who's a vegetarian.) Yes, Lance's life is a subtle mix of miserable and semi-smooth. I truly wish I could continue with the story, but that would ruin the movie's charm kind of. You must come into the movie with an open mind of anything to happen other than small background information like I just gave you. The story goes bananas and in insanely strange directions which range from depressing, hilarious, and even heartwarming. Yes, despite all of the vulgarity and shocking moments, the movie can be considered and should be considered heartwarming. The movie actually gives off messages and themes, believe it or not. It's technically about greed and the people you surround yourself in everyday. Lance is faced with some moral choices which would lead him to an even more depressing life or the one he's always wanted. It's all about if what he chooses is right or wrong, and for who. In the end... it's almost poetic, the way this movie is written and shown off. I'm insanely proud of this film and director Bobcat Goldthwait (which is the best name I've heart in quite some time.) What Bobcat and crew did here is hilarious and truly beautiful. 

I like the way this movie looks and feels. Bobcat never backed down from being I guess edgy and messed up. He manages to bring so much loud, curse filled, innuendo consisted comedy into this already depressing story and gets away with it. He doesn't apologize for anything, and it's genius in that way. Another way he manages to be funny is with the way it's shot. Some of the camera movement and editing add subtle humor, as well as just looking much better than many other movies. You can tell Bobcat wanted to not leave out the cinematography aspect out of the picture and have some movement going on (like Judd Apatow's Funny People and Kevin Smith's Clerks II.) The movie is so well rounded in almost every genre and aspect (even romance... shockingly.) And right by him, man. Everything looks good, especially the scenes of struggle and montages (which are ridiculously well cut, edited, and put together in a humorous yet devastating manner.) Even some still scenes were shot at great, random angles and with the camera bobbing around like a documentary, letting you feel like you're with the characters. It's this kind of stuff that give off an artistic sense that isn't just bullsh*ted, but rather well placed. There is also one specific scene that is so well done that it makes this movie a 5/5 from the way it's told and how it's shot. It's similar to Observe and Report's ending where it is damned hilarious and yet there is something there that is deeper and more profound than anything you've probably seen (well... than most things you've seen.)  

The score and soundtrack is a mosh pit consisting of Napoleon Dynamite-esque keyboard muzak, indie piano rock, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia bright almost holiday like music, Bruce Hornsby, and very interesting and well picked indie music. The use of the music is tragically brilliant, in the sense that almost every song used is either perfectly tuned for the emotion of the scene or just so contradicted of what the scene is giving off that it's kind of funny. It's strange having semi-happy music playing while such depressing stuff is occurring on screen... it's genius. The pacing of the scenes are so well matched with each piece of music... it feels like the music is the one controlling the scenes they're a part of. It's quite humorous at points, and even intense. The people in charge really knew how to slow down and show emotion at proper times (along with ones that are unexpected.) They know how to tug on your heartstrings. It's actually very heartwarming at times... even if it is such a small aspect that barely becomes huge for the movie, it affects it in a small but strong way when you hear it... especially the ending. Everything is well placed and timed... which just adds to the movie's ability to be so well rounded and interesting.  

Kudos to the entire cast, honestly. Such a great job from everybody, even the overdone charicatures of high school students, like the jock, nerd, and goth (hell, there is a red-haired girl with glasses whose name is literally Ginger.) Honestly though, Robin Williams and Daryl Sabara (yup... the kid from Spy Kids) were the true stars. Robin's role of depressed but trying to be happy for others is so true to the people who actually have to act like this. How he deals with disappointment and shock is very human and honest, as well as the rest of how he acts. It's just so much like a regular man being dealt a terrible hand of cards (similar to Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad... but less meth.) He's knowledgeable, and passionate about the stuff he loves, like zombie movies and in general writing. And when he relates to someone about such things, he's a smooth guy and knows what he's talking about... it's kinda cute. And most of all, Lance is a tragic character, mainly because he can be so much like someone you know, especially a father (C WAT I DID THUR?!) And it's hard seeing someone so similar to a close one to you being hurt badly and doing such strange things. Daryl's role as Robin's son is... is a brave one. The awkwardness around girls, the constant cursing and anger toward others (even ones you kind of love), the obscure ways of and consistent masturbation... it's such a strange role that requires a fearless one to do such things. In short, he's damned hilarious even if he is a little asshole... it's just funny how big of one he is. You might never meet such a kid in real life who is so offensive and disgusting... it's insanely unique and just mixed on how you feel about his character. You will hate him with a passion but find him kind of funny at points... then again the reason you'll find him funny is because he's such a big douche bag. I really don't know how to finish this off without saying any more... because damn Robin's and Daryl's roles are so well done that it makes the movie so much more interesting. It's great in so many ways.

I made the parallel to Jody Hill and his films several times already, and that's because they're insanely similar in how they will attract viewers. This movie will not be for everybody, but you must at least try it because if you end up liking it, you'll love it. This movie will offend people with it's harsh words, but for people who can look past this, you will find something truly beautiful (yes, I thought Observe and Report was beautiful.) I could've gone more in depth with the story, but honestly... such a small step into it here, and I would feel like I've ruined it for you. This movie feels important and people must see this, for as satirical as it is, it has some stuff that will be a wake up call for a lot of people who need to find happiness or even people who are hurtful to you and others and just don't know it. ...THIS MOVIE IS PRETTY DAMNED F*CKED UP. I've said this before, and I'll continue to say it. Hell, I say "genius" and "heartwarming" a little too much, but I just can't but help over emphasize it... this movie is really freaking good. Only some parts you'll see first and see as messed up, but as the story progresses, it just feels so wrong for many of the characters and their actions. And man how depressing it can get... director and writer Bobcat Goldthwait (I will never get tired of saying that) is a subtle, messed up genius. Despite all of this, it's freaking hilarious in it's writing, cinematic aspects, and actions. World's Greatest Dad is such a shocking movie... and yet is has something to say and show that is really beautiful and touching. Also, the ending is AMAZING... *cough*... sorry. 

I can't say much more... go to a Best Buy and buy a copy of this movie. You must not miss out on this film.

5 well deserved stars out of 5

#2 Posted by i69edUrGpa (586 posts) -

Good review, dude. Keep up the good work

#3 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@i69edUrGpa: thank you very much, sir! :D
#4 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

Great review sir 

@i69edUrGpa: YOU !!!! I thought you'd left !!

#5 Posted by JokerClown88 (1051 posts) -

Loved this movie.  I totally agree with everything you say.  Its a darn near perfect film.
#6 Edited by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@turbomonkey138: thanks man! and hahahaha that picture is awesome 

was he absent for quite some time or something?? 

...oh I just got his username -_- 

@JokerClown88: same here (as you can tell.) thanks man, and it really is. I was utterly surprised on how good and weird this film was. I agree in which it is almost perfect. it's just one of the movies where you'll either love the living sh*t out of it, or hate it's guts for being so... strange.
#7 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@nofx4208 said:
" @turbomonkey138: thanks man! and hahahaha that picture is awesome  was he absent for quite some time or something??  ...oh I just got his username -_- "
lol gotta love answering your own question :)
#8 Edited by Milkman (16228 posts) -

I've had this movie in my Netflix instant queue for a while, waiting for a chance to watch it. With this review in mind, I'll definitely watch it this weekend.

Also, you should have posted the red band trailer. It's a lot better.

#9 Edited by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@Milkman: you won't regret it man, and i'm glad my review helped get someone to watch the movie! 
it was also in my netflix queue as well XD  

EDIT: didn't notice you posted it haha, well thank you I'll make a note of it in the review.
#10 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

I absolutely want to watch this movie. When he's not cheesing it up in stuff like Night at the Museum and Old Dogs, Robin Williams can be an extremely funny guy. This "black comedy" seems up his alley, and I'm waiting for my Netflix queue to clear up so I can watch this.

Also, good to see that the kid from Spy Kids is getting some work.

#11 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@VinceNotVance:  Agreed, and he does an amazing job in this one as he did an amazing job in Spy Kids. Spy Kids was FUCKING. BEAUTIFUL. (seriously, as a kid, I enjoyed it very much) And Robin just... man he tends to make really bad decisions on the movies he attaches himself to for the most part, but he also makes really good decisions... occasionally :P
@Milkman: huh, i did not notice a redband trailer. I'll look it up and post it in place of the greenband.
#12 Posted by Three0neFive (2274 posts) -

I watched this movie over the weekend. I found it both hilarious and utterly depressing. Might sound strange, but it it really made me realize how frail our lives really are, and made me wonder how I'll be remembered when I'm gone.

Fantastic movie, definitely recommend.

#13 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@Three0neFive: that's the genius of it, man! Oh this movie really gets you thinking, right? It's... damn I love this movie hahaha
#14 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@dcpc10: It deserves a freaking award, but it didn't get any respect at the golden globes (which I have a feeling is kind of fixed)  

we shall wait until the oscars. While I loved movies like The Informant!, A Serious Man, etc., I think that World's Greatest Dad needs to get an award under comedy/musical
#15 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4874 posts) -

Never heard of it, guess I'll check it out now. 

Thanks.

#16 Edited by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@SJSchmidt93: you're welcome, and thank you for reading! 
not a lot of people have heard of it, it's a sundance type of film (I can basically count how many times I've seen all of the students used in the movie.... there's atleast less than 30... that's how indie-ish it is.. then again that's part of it's charm in some way)
#17 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -
@nofx4208:  

It started out as really good satire but turned way too 'safe' during the second half. 

#18 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I love me a good dark comedy, will check this out.

#19 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

It was alright.  It started strong, but didn't finish with enough steam for me.

#20 Edited by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@Resident4t: what other dark comedies do you like?? 

@Bruce: I see what you mean, but eventually the parts that are messed up and not safe eventually started coming from the actions of the characters  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content. 
 I mean the rest of it is messed up and really, I can't see them being able to add a lot of humor. 
But yeah, everything gets a little more subtle and maybe sometimes absent, and i think that's due to the film wanting to emphasize more on the emotion. Movies like this don't have to be funny or hilarious all the time. 
But to each his own, i suppose (hey, atleast you liked the first 40 minutes :P) 

@cstrang: It most certainly did start strong, but I guess it's how you take the middle part that determines how strong the ending will be to you (jesus christ the ending was brilliant imo hahaha, both comedically and symbolically)
#21 Posted by i69edUrGpa (586 posts) -
@turbomonkey138 said:
" Great review sir 

"
Not at all, my love
#22 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@i69edUrGpa said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" Great review sir 

"
Not at all, my love "
o.o  
frightening :P
#23 Posted by teh_destroyer (3556 posts) -

I like Robin WIlliams and I like dark comedies, this is a must watch for me.

#24 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -

Movie posters with the name in a big red font scares me.

But nice review man, I think I may check this one out.

#25 Posted by heatDrive88 (2173 posts) -

If you are truly an aspiring journalist, please just start with improving your English writing skills. 

I can't take a review seriously with such gratuitous use of "..." at the beginning or end of every logical thought, along with an incredibly jarring usage of a parenthesis around sentences for thoughts on the side. Learn to use commas, semi-colons, or long dashes, and actually formulate your sentence structure so you don't have to this all the time (you know, doing exactly what this sentence does that I'm writing).
#26 Posted by StarFry64 (170 posts) -

I saw World's Greatest Dad in August and liked it but I would still give it a 2.5 out of 4- it wasn't that controversial or satirically impactful as I thought it wanted to be. Observe and Report, which I LOVE (3.5 out of 4 stars for Jody Hill's film), went the extra mile and therefore was better for me personally. I'm just glad Robin Williams can at least make a good dramatic and comedic performance all in one film- although his credibility from this move got destroyed because of Old Dogs.

#27 Posted by teh_destroyer (3556 posts) -
@StarFry64 said:
" I saw World's Greatest Dad in August and liked it but I would still give it a 2.5 out of 4- it wasn't that controversial or satirically impactful as I thought it wanted to be. Observe and Report, which I LOVE (3.5 out of 4 stars for Jody Hill's film), went the extra mile and therefore was better for me personally. I'm just glad Robin Williams can at least make a good dramatic and comedic performance all in one film- although his credibility from this move got destroyed because of Old Dogs. "
Good Will Hunting says hello..........
#28 Edited by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@heatDrive88: will do, thank you! And I guess I can say journalism is a second dream of mine, but i'll try to get better regardless.... and I c wat u did thur ;) 

@Twilight: the movie is kind of frightening in contemplation haha. Check it out though :D 

@StarFry64: awesome I'm glad someone else actually liked Observe and Report as well! The reception was terrible from most audiences and it frightened me hahah. Indeed, Robin Williams can do a good drama. He just has to make better movie choices XD 

@teh_destroyer: both great things, and Good Will Hunting says hey for me as well :P 

XD I totally ended each response with a smiley XD 
XD I just started and ended that statement with XD XD 
*gunshot*
#29 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

Bobcat Goldthwait hasn't directed many films. I remember his first released in '91 Shakes the Clown. It was also a dark comedy. All these clowns hung out in a bar called The Twisted Balloon, there was a Rodeo Clown bar too. If Shakes and his friends were out cruising and saw Mimes, they would jump out and beat their asses gangsta style. It was a pretty cool movie and harsh. I couldn't find many clips, but I did find this one.

#30 Edited by HaltIamReptar (2028 posts) -

Oh god dude.  Long ass post.  I shall read it in honor of the movie.  I saw the movie the other night on Netflix insta-watch, and by god, it was amazing.  The only problem I had was the problem I have with most movie depicting angsty-ass angst teenagers.

THEY ARE NOT ALL THAT ANGSTY-ASS ANGSTY.  NOT ALL OF THEM ARE ON THE EDGE OF SUICIDE.  THEY ARE NOT ALL THAT INTERESTING.

EDIT:  Also, the soundtrack is amazing.  The Deadly Syndrome has been given a permanent place on my iPod.

DOUBLE EDIT:  I agree with pretty much everything you said.  Good job with agreeing with me, internet guy. 

I have a second complaint, and this just about it.

#31 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@Claude:   looks enticing! wasn't he a stand up comedian? regardless, I shall check out his past works

@HaltIamReptar: XD it's a satire, sir. They're purposely done like that and thanks for agreeing too! you're spoiler thing is broke, could you send it to me in a pm? 
#32 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2028 posts) -
@nofx4208: Of course I could.

I know it's a satire.  If you managed to like it without realizing that, I seriously wonder how fucked you are as a person.  It just reminded me of my disdain for movies in general that don't seem to understand that cliche's of your average teenager is not how it actually is.

The song "I Hope I Become A Ghost" makes that scene infinitely more clever when you listen through all of the lyrics several more times and think about it.  I gained so much more respect for the movie when I paid attention to the lyrics.
#33 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@HaltIamReptar: it'd be awesome if someone didn't know it was a satire hahaha 

and yeah maybe some of it was over done but I found it as kind of tasteful 

kind of 

anyway yes all of the song selections were perfect in my opinion, and I will state it again, but the ending song was just genius all around. 

GENIUS!
#34 Edited by Claude (16251 posts) -
@nofx4208: 

He was a stand up comic. He had a strange voice, but he used it well. Check out these two interviews. The first is for Shakes in '91 and the second from last year for Greatest Dad. *Note* In the first interview he uses his onstage voice or comedic voice.

Here's a clip from Blow. Small role but awesome.

And some stand up comedy.

#35 Posted by Tireyo (6382 posts) -

Robin Williams = YAY!!

#36 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

Just watched it, and I thought it was amazing. I agree that it was really messed up though. Robin Williams did an excellent job.

#37 Edited by HaltIamReptar (2028 posts) -
@nofx4208: So can we all agree that Robin Williams is a better drama/tragicomedy actor than a comedian?  I thought this was common knowledge by now, but apparently people just don't know.

Sources:

Good Will Hunting
Dead Poets Society
#38 Posted by captain_clayman (3300 posts) -

wait a minute this is on netflix 

*adds to queue*

#39 Posted by Feser (543 posts) -
@nofx4208:
I have to agree with Starfry64. Personally, you should look at reducing the length. Once you've made your point about something (I.E. the scenes being shot in a funny way) you can move on to next point. I took one look and scampered away, and if it were not for your requesting of some constructive criticism I would still be scampering. On a the positive, the sentances read fluidily.
#40 Edited by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@Feser: XD in all honesty, I thought I'd be docked down by people for being a little too short, so I tried prolonging a lot of stuff hahaha. I will not be worried next time (Which is after I finish this comment.) I'm also very glad you decided to stick around even after seeing it's length haha

thanks for pointing that out, and thank you for the sentences part. I try to be a little more casual and personal on how I feel about teh filmz. 

@Claude: christ is that Tom Kenny in the Binky vid?! 
I guess they like to work with eachother
#41 Edited by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

You know what, I just found the movie on Netflix Instant Play, so I watched it on my Xbox (yay for technology).
I really dug it. The lead performances are great, especially Daryl Sabara- he absolutely stole every scene he was in. The script is very, very funny as well.
I kinda wish it was a bit more biting however. It seems like it could've been an absolute classic dark satire, and while it came extremely close, it wasn't quite there. It pulled a few punches towards the end there, specifically with the Claire character never truly getting her comeuppance & the whole scene at the TV show being largely pointless.

Still, I absolutely recommend the film. It's foul-mouthed, offensive, scathing and immensely enjoyable. 

Also, I didn't like Observe and Report, for the record. It tried to hard to be offensive, and Seth Rogen's character was so despicable and unlikable that it's hard to laugh with him, at him, or even just feel anything other than hate for the guy when you see him on screen. But I digress...

#42 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@VinceNotVance: to each his own i suppose, and yup, Seth's character in O&R was a dick... with Bi-polar disorder o.o lol  

I'm glad you liked it, and yes it could've gone much farther, but I feel Bobcat got all he wanted out of the story. Though, in the director's cut, i heard there's some more stuff, but I don't know how good any of it is. Regardless, by it's self, the movie is great, while there definitely is still room for more.
#43 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

As promised, I went ahead and watched this. And I loved it. This movie is MESSED UP but at the same time, completely hilarious.

#44 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@Milkman: I know what you mean man. It was just utter shock, and like Robin's character, it was always kind of in the back of your mind that such a thing could occur, but man. I'm glad you felt that way about the movie man, and jesus it is messed up, but with insane merit and pay-off 

how about that ending?! XD
#45 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I heard about this movie on the /filmcast a long time ago. Nice to hear it's a good one, haha. I'll be on the lookout for this'un.

#46 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@DanielJW: ah, i didn't even know that site had a podcast XD I'll look out for your opinion good sir 

this is indeed an insanely interesting movie to discuss haha
#47 Posted by Erkenbrand (29 posts) -

My interest was piqued upon reading your review, so I looked about for a couple more reviews (including Ebert, who spoiled the film for me).  I watched the film this evening and really enjoyed it, though now I wish I could have gone into it with fresh eyes.  

Thanks for keeping your review on point and spoiler-free. 

#48 Posted by Gamer_152 (13975 posts) -

I hadn't heard of it before, it sounds like a very good film.