Richmond. Am I dead man walking?

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By evilrazer

Hello, duders, this is my first real blog post apart from the very first one which I used to get the quest. This one is going to be serious because I have a couple of questions to ask.

Anyway, I got an opportunity for the W&T paid summer job abroad. I knew that it's gonna be a shitty job, probably underpaid, but this gives me a chance to live in another country for four or five month. In 14 weeks precisely I thought that I'm gonna be chilling out in San Francisco or having a mazel tov at Brighton Beach. The only thing people, who gave me the internship, had not said is that I'm gonna be working at MacDonald's, what is pretty fucked up already, and that I will have to move to Richmond. I'm ok with hamburgers, but the Richmond part freaks me out big time.

I've heard and read a lot of controversial thoughts on Richmond, VA and it is pretty fucked up place, flooded with crime and violence. I've never lived in a city like that, my home city in Ukraine is twice the size of Richmond and in population (500,000 ppl to 200,000 in Richmond), but it is a quiet place to live. Surely sometimes crime pops on TV, but nothing major.

I'm gonna be working at 18th Broad Street which is fairly close to Church Hill Dist. and Shockoe Bottom Dist. which are, from what I've read are not a great areas to hang out. My apartment will be at or near The Fan Dist.

I'm not physically intimidating, I mean I go to the gym three times a week, but I don't eat sport nutrition to get bigger so I look fairly normal. My question is following: is it as bad in Richmond as people say or these opinions are just non-sense? Should I buy myself a bulletproof vest or am I thinking about this stuff too much?

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By evilrazer

Hello, duders, this is my first real blog post apart from the very first one which I used to get the quest. This one is going to be serious because I have a couple of questions to ask.

Anyway, I got an opportunity for the W&T paid summer job abroad. I knew that it's gonna be a shitty job, probably underpaid, but this gives me a chance to live in another country for four or five month. In 14 weeks precisely I thought that I'm gonna be chilling out in San Francisco or having a mazel tov at Brighton Beach. The only thing people, who gave me the internship, had not said is that I'm gonna be working at MacDonald's, what is pretty fucked up already, and that I will have to move to Richmond. I'm ok with hamburgers, but the Richmond part freaks me out big time.

I've heard and read a lot of controversial thoughts on Richmond, VA and it is pretty fucked up place, flooded with crime and violence. I've never lived in a city like that, my home city in Ukraine is twice the size of Richmond and in population (500,000 ppl to 200,000 in Richmond), but it is a quiet place to live. Surely sometimes crime pops on TV, but nothing major.

I'm gonna be working at 18th Broad Street which is fairly close to Church Hill Dist. and Shockoe Bottom Dist. which are, from what I've read are not a great areas to hang out. My apartment will be at or near The Fan Dist.

I'm not physically intimidating, I mean I go to the gym three times a week, but I don't eat sport nutrition to get bigger so I look fairly normal. My question is following: is it as bad in Richmond as people say or these opinions are just non-sense? Should I buy myself a bulletproof vest or am I thinking about this stuff too much?

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Marcsman

Dude it ain't that bad.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I live in Richmond. You'll be fine. Just use your head, and don't be walking around past 12 am.

Some parts of Church Hill are sketch, but that's about it.

Also, paid internship at McDonalds, what?

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By weegieanawrench

I don't know much about Richmond, but if you're worried, carry mace intended for use on a bear. Anyone messes with you, make em blind.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

I was in Richmond a few months ago and the place looked like trash. I don't think you'll need to worry about getting a bulletproof vest or carrying a gun everywhere you go, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vodun

Dude, don't take any heed of crap you hear about crime in a city. Apparently I'm living in the 1920's version of Chicago here in Malmö, Sweden because some douche bags have killed each other lately. Yet not once have I been the victim of any crime greater than having the saddle cover on my bike stolen.

People have a tendency to blow crime statistics out their ass.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By crusader8463

Just make sure to find the biggest baddest mofo on the block and knife him in the gut to assert your dominance right when you get there, and everyone will leave you be.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

@Vodun said:

Dude, don't take any heed of crap you hear about crime in a city. Apparently I'm living in the 1920's version of Chicago here in Malmö, Sweden because some douche bags have killed each other lately. Yet not once have I been the victim of any crime greater than having the saddle cover on my bike stolen.

People have a tendency to blow crime statistics out of proportion almost everywhere.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@evilrazer said:

Anyway, I got an opportunity for the paid internship abroad. I knew that it's gonna be a shitty job, probably underpaid, but this gives me a chance to live in another country for four or five month. In 14 weeks precisely I thought that I'm gonna be chilling out in San Francisco or having a mazel tov at Brighton Beach. The only thing people, who gave me the internship, had not said is that I'm gonna be working at MacDonald's, what is pretty fucked up already, and that I will have to move to Richmond. I'm ok with hamburgers, but the Richmond part freaks me out big time.

Thats kinda awesome. Thats real close to where I live. 
evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By evilrazer

@Brendan said:

@Vodun said:

People have a tendency to blow crime statistics out of proportion almost everywhere.

You're probably right. Glad to hear everything you've said. That really calms me down.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By SpaceRunaway

This is an awesome thread.  I really want to tell you that every American city is like this, and that not only should you buy a bulletproof vest, you should also carry a gun, and then a back-up gun just in case.

But really, just keep your door locked and don't go wandering around in the middle of the night. 

Edit:  My younger brother goes to VCU, and he has not yet gotten stabbed. 

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

You'll be fine.

I'm more concerned about the internship. You will be, um, working at McDonald's? That's not an internship, that's... shit for teenagers to do. Where and what is the internship for? And in a shady part of a city?

Please elaborate on these circumstances.

As for the city itself? Lock your doors, lock your car, don't walk around like an idiot at 2AM, and be a decent person. This is good advice anywhere you go.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

You literally could not pay me enough to move to Virginia.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By SpaceRunaway

Yeah, I don't know if it's a language difference, but working at McDonald's is not really what anyone would term an 'internship'.  That's the part I'd be more upset about.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By SomeDeliCook

We don't go to Richmond

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By evilrazer

@SpaceRunaway:

It's called "Work & Travel" and basically it's a student exchange program, sorry for misleading you, guys. And it is language difference, it's called internship here and I see where you coming from by saying that internship is not a right word to define such... phenomenon.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By mfpantst
@evilrazer: What do you get for travel outside of richmond?  Virginia has alot of pretty things to see.
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By musubi

@Brendan said:

@Vodun said:

Unless you live in Steelport....

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By evilrazer

@mfpantst: Nothing, I can travel without restraints, I just have to attend my job, otherwise I will be deported back to the MOTHEЯ LЛND. People who left their job and broke the contract with CHI (Cultural Homestay International) told me that everything was fine, but I don't want to take my chances.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RsistncE

...you're interning at McDonalds?

What in the fuck.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mfpantst
@evilrazer: Cool.  You want to get some friends to take you out for a drive on skyline drive (in the blue ridge mountains, it's pretty).  are you of age (21+)?
evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By evilrazer

@mfpantst: That sounds suspicious :D I'm 19 btw. and this is probably the most weird part about America - you can't drink a bottle of beer, but you can shoot guns and kill people in army.

But seeing some sights would be pretty cool.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mfpantst
@evilrazer: Aight.  Well I was going to say VA is great for wine trips, if you feel like being snooty.  (not) but you're not 21 so that sucks.  Anyways skyline drive is really beautiful country, so go check that out.
evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By evilrazer

@mfpantst: Thanks, duder, will remember that.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By veektarius

Richmond California is where you get murdered, not Richmond VA

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Sooty
No Caption Provided

JS.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By evilrazer

@Sooty: They call it internship here, but it's a summer job, my mistake.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Sooty
No Caption Provided

I'm just joking by the way but I couldn't resist poking fun a little.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deathstriker666

You Ukrainian? Bring your AK, it'll be fine

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deathstriker666

@evilrazer said:

you can't drink a bottle of beer, but you can shoot guns and kill people in army.

Sounds about right

Loyal_Dragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Loyal_Dragoon

If you can survive working at a McDonalds for a summer, I'm pretty sure you can survive just about anywhere.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By asurastrike

At first I thought you were talking about Richmond, CA. You'll be fine in Virginia.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By evilrazer

@Loyal_Dragoon:

Haha, that is orobably the most challenging part about my trip.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bigsmoke77

The reviews make it sound like your in for a treat.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Come to Canada! It's nice here. At least in the east.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ramone

Just carry a sweet Katana around all the time and no one will mess with you. You may also want to learn Ninjitsu.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EvilTwin
@Veektarius said:

Richmond California is where you get murdered, not Richmond VA

@Asurastrike said:

At first I thought you were talking about Richmond, CA. You'll be fine in Virginia.

Don't kid yourselves.  Richmond, VA has a crazy high murder rate especially.  

@evilrazer: Just be smart and I'm sure you'll be just fine.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By Tireyo

Last time I was in Richmond it was nice, clean, and the people were nice as they left me alone. Guess times have changed now.

Makes me glad to know that I don't live no where near Richmond.