Ridley Scott Directing Brave New World Movie

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

Dood's been trying to do it for a LOOOOONG time.  He's finally getting the chance.  Ridley will be directing, as well as producing, an adaptation of Brave New World for the big screen.  Leonardo DiCaprio will also be producing, and potentially starring, in the project. 

Before you start going "AH MAN, IT'S GONNA SUCK", let me remind folks of this:  Ridley Scott directed Blade Runner.  He's completely capable of taking on complex material like Brave New World.  The real question is whether or not it will make for a compelling movie. 

Personally, Brave New World works well as a book because it caters to the imagination very well.  You are able to envision that world very well in your own mind, as one man's Hell is another man's Heaven, right?  Therefore, the way I see the savage reservations or the World State is going to be different in some ways to how you see it.  What happens when someone decides to create one vision of it with little interpretation outside of that? 

What say you, O Giant Bomb forum commenters?  Will Scott be able to do Brave New World some form of justice on the silver screen? 

**EDIT**  In case you didn't read ALL the way to the bottom...like I didn't do...it would appear that Ridley Scott also announced that he'll be directing...that's right...A PREQUEL TO ALIEN!!!

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bruce

Didn't he do Blade Runner? 

I started reading Brave New World last year and stopped after about fifty pages; it bored the hell out of me.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By buzz_killington

I hope he pulls it off, I haven't liked some of his recent movies. Body of Lies was fine, but nothing special.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By singular

That sounds interesting. I loved the book.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187
@buzz_killington said:
" I hope he pulls it off, I haven't liked some of his recent movies. Body of Lies was fine, but nothing special. "
Body of Lies was meh.  Ridley Scott is better than that, and he's proven that he can do well with material that isn't a giant epic of a movie (Matchstick Men being the prime example).  Lately, though...between A Good Year and Body of Lies, Ridley feels like he's losing his touch.  However, you jump over and look at American Gangster...and then quickly realize that Ridley Scott is the shit. 

I'm just hoping that Russell Crowe isn't in it.  I think Ridley and Russell have done enough movies together now: 
  • Gladiator
  • A Good Year
  • American Gangster
  • Body of Lies
  • Robin Hood

They can stop now.  I mean, I only liked one of the first four in there (that would be American Gangster), and when I compare that to another actor/director continuous pairing like...say...Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio...it goes without saying that Marty and Leo wipe the floor with Ridley and Russell.
MrSATURNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MrSATURNZ

If Leonardo does play a role, who will he play as? That one John or something (forget his name) comes in late in the book. Ah well, it was a good book, wonder how it will do on the big screen