R.I.P. Carl Macek

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By AlKusanagi

I know he got a lot of shit for "butchering" anime, but without this guy, anime would probably not have gone mainstream. For all you yung'uns out there, his company Streamline Studios, brought out anime such as Akira, Fist of the North Star, Wicked City, Robot Carnival, and others way back in the late 80s/early 90s, long before anime was "cool."

More importantly, he was the man who fused together three unrelated series into what would become known as Robotech, giving this Bomber his first taste of Macross, my favorite anime franchise of all time.

Thanks for the hard work, Carl.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By AlKusanagi

I know he got a lot of shit for "butchering" anime, but without this guy, anime would probably not have gone mainstream. For all you yung'uns out there, his company Streamline Studios, brought out anime such as Akira, Fist of the North Star, Wicked City, Robot Carnival, and others way back in the late 80s/early 90s, long before anime was "cool."

More importantly, he was the man who fused together three unrelated series into what would become known as Robotech, giving this Bomber his first taste of Macross, my favorite anime franchise of all time.

Thanks for the hard work, Carl.

NovidAnon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By NovidAnon

Hes a hero to me where we have mostly zeros in the industry right now...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

I meet Carl Macek in 1989 at a comic book convention in Los Angeles.  We got into an argument because I admitted to having a bootlegged VHS of Akira.  I didn't bother telling him about my bootlegged Macross: Do You Remember Love.  Still, I thanked him for Robotech which was a full-on addiction for me in the early 80's.  He along with Sandy Frank are responsible for my love of anime today.  A few weeks after our meeting, my friends and I went to go see Akira in the theaters to make good on our promise to him.  Wow, it seems so long ago, and it's hard to believe he's gone.  I've been watching the original Macross recently.  It still holds up.