#1 Edited by npeterson08 (502 posts) -
Source

Very sad news in hockey, today (May, 14th 2011) New York Rangers forward and enforcer Derek Boogaard was found dead in his Minneapolis apartment at the age of 28. 
  "... pure nails on the ice, and an even better person off." - Paul Bissonnette

From Regina, Saskatchewan, Boogaard was originally drafted in the 7th round (202nd overall) by the Minnesota Wild.

Jun, 23 1982 - May, 14 2011

I know we have some hockey fans on GiantBomb, so I thought it would be good to spread the word. My condolences go out to his family. 

He was personally one of my favorite players, it's very sad to hear of his passing.

Fellow NHL player's reactions:

Brandon Prust's Twitter - "At a loss for words. I'll miss my roomy Derek Boogaard.. You will be missed by everyone. Great friend and teammate."

Scottie Upshall
's Twitter - "Saddened to hear the news about the Boogie man. One of the NHL's all-time tough guys life & career cut far too short."

Logan Couture's Twitter - "Very saddened to hear about Derek Boogaard. #gooddieyoung RIP."

Mike Commodore's Twitter - "Wow..Boogaard news for real? I am shocked. Awful news. As tough as they come on the ice, and a great guy off the ice. I am shocked."

Kyle Turris' Twitter - "Sad to hear the news about Boogaard today. Thoughts are with his family and friends."

Steve Sullivan's Twitter - "Thoughts and prayers go out to the Boogaard Family. Very sad news."

Paul Bissonnette's Twitter - "Had to call my folks after hearing that awful news. Derek Boogaard you were pure nails on the ice, and an even better person off. R.I.P."

Michael Rupp's Twitter - "Deepest sympathies to the Boogaard family, friends, and teammates."

Michael Grabner's Twitter - "Just heard about Derek Boogaard... That's just not fair - way too young... best wishes to his family and teammates..#RIPBoogie."

Jordin Tootoo's Twitter - "Thoughts and prayers go out to the Boogaard family."

Bobby Ryan's Twitter - "Absolute tragedy, RIP Derek Boogaard."

Dustin Brown's Twitter - "Awful news about Derek Boogaard. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

Eric Fehr's Twitter - "RT: Hockey is one big family. Tonight, no matter what team you're a fan of, we all mourn one of our own. We'll miss you, Boogaard."

Karl Alzner's Twitter - "Our thoughts and prayers over here are with the Boogaard family. R.I.P."

Colby Armstrong's Twitter - "So sad. R.I.P. Derek Boogaard. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends."

Jeremy Roenick's Twitter - "I'm so sad to hear about Derek Boogaard!! He was tough as nails and even though I didn't know him I heard he was a great guy. U will b missed."

Matt Carle's Twitter - "Terrible news about Derek Boogaard, can't say I knew him but it's always a sad day when someone in the hockey world passes away. #condolences."

Michael Del Zotto's Twitter - "Boogey, you will be missed! Condolences to the Boogaard family. The world lost an amazing friend and teammate!"

Daniel Carcillo's Twitter - "R.I.P Boogy man."

Georges Laraque's Twitter - "My condolences to the Boogaard family, Derek past away this morning, it was the toughest guy in the NHL my friend and biggest rival."
#2 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

I don't follow hockey, but it's sad when any athlete or celebrity die because they have so many people who look up to them.
He was found dead in his apartment? Drugs possibly?

#3 Posted by npeterson08 (502 posts) -

I know most people won't know who he is, but this is pretty big news for hockey fans.

#4 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

28 is a bad age to die along in your apartment. I wonder what caused the death.

#5 Posted by MightyDuck (1502 posts) -

That is very unfortunate news.

I was not a huge fan of his style of play, but none the less, it's a shame for someone that young to lose their life. 

#6 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

It looks like someone.....put him on ICE.....

#7 Posted by playastation (194 posts) -

just saw this on twitter.

wonder what happened.

kinda crazy

#8 Posted by npeterson08 (502 posts) -
@Commando said:
I don't follow hockey, but it's sad when any athlete or celebrity die because they have so many people who look up to them.He was found dead in his apartment? Drugs possibly?
They don't mention the circumstances. Could be natural causes, drugs, or suicide. Either way, it's sad news.
#9 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:
It looks like someone.....put him on ICE.....

-slow clap- Well done, good sir. 

OT: I don't follow hockey, or any sport for that matter. But it's sad to hear about someone dying. :c
#10 Posted by Djstyles92 (952 posts) -

RIP.  Its a terrible loss and he was so young.

#11 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

Yeah only remember hearing his name in the last habs vs rangers game. Sad to see a young die die :(

#12 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

Not a hockey fan and don't know the guy but still very sad to see.

Some pretty disrespectful people in here.

#13 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

I'm a pretty big Rangers fan, this is shitty news. 

#14 Posted by nemt (863 posts) -

love the Rangers

god dammit

#15 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

28?  shit RIP

#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Kyreo said:

@JJOR64 said:

@KaosAngel said:
@Kyreo said:
Who?
Read the rules people.

NO spamming or commercial advertising. Includes but not limited to posting advertisements of personal sites for personal gain, commenting "first," quote pyramids or empty quoting, or quest spam.    

#17 Edited by npeterson08 (502 posts) -

EDIT: Moved to original post.

#18 Posted by npeterson08 (502 posts) -
@Malakhii said:
I'm a pretty big Rangers fan, this is shitty news. 
@nemt said:

love the Rangers

god dammit

I'm a huge Wild fan, but Boogaard was always one of my favorite players; even after being signed by New York.
#19 Posted by nemt (863 posts) -

Hearing about him going to the Rangers was such awesome news to me.

#20 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I'm sorry to hear that. I read about a lineman for the Alabama Crimson Tide being found dead on a balcony in Florida. And Harmon Killebrew is going to Hospice. Bad day in sports.

#21 Edited by marbleCmoney (452 posts) -

I heard about this earlier. Really sucks.

R.I.P. Boogeyman