• 85 results
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By melcene

Being in the Seattle area, my local radio station of choice has some different programming going on today.  All day they will be celebrating the lives of Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley, who both died on April 5th, and both were huge influences in both the Grunge and Seattle music scenes.

Kurt Cobain was the lead singer and guitarist in the band Nirvana back in the 90s.  It's been said that Nirvana was the flagship band of Generation X.  During the last few years of his life, Kurt struggled with drug use, depression, and a marriage to Courtney Love, front-woman to the band Hole.  He took his own life with a shotgun on this day in 1994.  While we didn't really call stuff "angsty" back in the 90s, Kurt's music would definitely be labelled as angsty today.   

Layne Staley was the lead singer for Alice in Chains during the 90s (he was co-founder of the band with Jerry Cantrell).  Much like Nirvana, Alice in Chains was another huge influence on the Grunge and Seattle music scene.  Staley's vocals became incredibly distinctive, even more so than Kurt Cobain's.  Staley was found dead in his apartment from an apparent drug overdose in 2002 after no one had seen or spoke to him for about two weeks.  It is estimated that he died on April 5th. 

Rest in peace to both of these great music influences. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Have you ever read Cobain's suicide not? It's one of the steamiest piles of horse shit I've ever read. I was never a fan, in fact, I'd call him a pussy.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By melcene

I don't agree with what either of them were doing with their personal lives.  But like I said, they were huge influences on the grunge scene and the Seattle music scene.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Two of the greatest vocalists to ever grace the world with their voices and talent

RIP 

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'm not really a huge Nirvana or Cobain fan but I love AiC. RIP Layne.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bocam

While I like both bands, I don't see why their deaths should be treated as anything special

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By N7

I remember when I was a kid, I thought Alice In Chains and Nirvana were the same band.

It's also crazy that they both died on April 5th. Like, literally crazy. I mean, what are the chances? Crazy stuff.

Great music though. I listen to their stuff every now-and-then.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By warchief
@TooWalrus: Courtney probably wrote it so that explains it. 
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SSully
@Bocam said:

" While I like both bands, I don't see why their deaths should be treated as anything special "

He isnt treating them as special, he is just paying homage to two artists that he liked. 
dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By dietmango
@TooWalrus said:
" Have you ever read Cobain's suicide not? It's one of the steamiest piles of horse shit I've ever read. I was never a fan, in fact, I'd call him a pussy. "
Yeah, this is the ugly truth to the way things turned out. As much as I love both bands and appreciate what these guys have done for rock music, their deaths/lifestyles are what makes it fucking sad...
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Bocam: I suppose you weren't there when it happened. It was one of those cultural moments that kind of sent shockwaves throughout our society, much like people of previous generations talk about where they were when Kennedy was shot, this was more or less the same deal for many people in April of 1994. It really can't be expressed adequately in words how surreal it all felt at the time, or how much Kurt's death in particular more or less killed what momentum grunge as genre had left. After Kurt died, it more or less just ended. It was like everyone was riding a weird high for two years or so and then sobriety kicked our collective teeth in. 

I'm sure someone else would want to disagree, but honestly, that's what I remember from it.
Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bocam
@SSully: Never said she was
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By melcene
@KingWilly: As someone who was in high school when it happened, I'd have to agree with you.  I actually wasn't really a Nirvana fan at the time that it happened.  I didn't come to appreciate their music until later.  But it was a big deal back then.  Grunge was a big deal back then.  Even now, it's looked back on as a defining point of Seattle (the grunge movement, that is). 

Too bad it wasn't Courtney instead.  She's always been a skank.
InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InternetCrab

I'm a big fan of Nirvana and Alice in Chains is also great :)

R.I.P

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blueduck
@KingWilly said:
" @Bocam: I suppose you weren't there when it happened. It was one of those cultural moments that kind of sent shockwaves throughout our society, much like people of previous generations talk about where they were when Kennedy was shot, this was more or less the same deal for many people in April of 1994. It really can't be expressed adequately in words how surreal it all felt at the time, or how much Kurt's death in particular more or less killed what momentum grunge as genre had left. After Kurt died, it more or less just ended. It was like everyone was riding a weird high for two years or so and then sobriety kicked our collective teeth in.  I'm sure someone else would want to disagree, but honestly, that's what I remember from it. "
Linking Kurt Cobain's death to the assassination of Kennedy is insulting.
InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By InternetCrab
@TooWalrus said:
" Have you ever read Cobain's suicide not? It's one of the steamiest piles of horse shit I've ever read. I was never a fan, in fact, I'd call him a pussy. "
I actually have to agree with you there. It's an incredible piece of shit that someone has ever written.
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SSully
@Bocam said:
" @SSully: Never said she was "
Well I dont get where you derive people treating their deaths as something special. There are some hardcore fans who do, but there are groups of people who do that for almost every single death of a artist or celebrity. 
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@blueduck said:

" @KingWilly said:

" @Bocam: I suppose you weren't there when it happened. It was one of those cultural moments that kind of sent shockwaves throughout our society, much like people of previous generations talk about where they were when Kennedy was shot, this was more or less the same deal for many people in April of 1994. It really can't be expressed adequately in words how surreal it all felt at the time, or how much Kurt's death in particular more or less killed what momentum grunge as genre had left. After Kurt died, it more or less just ended. It was like everyone was riding a weird high for two years or so and then sobriety kicked our collective teeth in.  I'm sure someone else would want to disagree, but honestly, that's what I remember from it. "
Linking Kurt Cobain's death to the assassination of Kennedy is insulting. "
I meant no offense. I am not going to sit here and tell someone one life was worth more than another, either. I was only trying to illustrate for someone who wasn't there how much of an impact that news had on an entire generation of people.  

@melcene said:
" @KingWilly: As someone who was in high school when it happened, I'd have to agree with you.  I actually wasn't really a Nirvana fan at the time that it happened.  I didn't come to appreciate their music until later.  But it was a big deal back then.  Grunge was a big deal back then.  Even now, it's looked back on as a defining point of Seattle (the grunge movement, that is).   Too bad it wasn't Courtney instead.  She's always been a skank. "
I wasn't quite in high school when Nirvana first hit big, but I remember there was definitely a charge in the air, at least where I was. When Nevermind happened, it was probably the most radical change in a group of people I had ever seen. I still haven't seen anything like it since. Looking back on it now has definitely lent the situation a fresh perspective for me.  

As for Courtney, eh, I didn't like Hole, or her as a human being. I'm pretty sure Cobain was determined from the start to off himself, but it certainly didn't help to have someone like Love in his life while in such a fragile state. Speaking from experience, one person in the right place at the right time can keep another from doing something incredibly stupid. It's rather tragic that Courtney or anyone else couldn't be that person for Kurt.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Can't believe it's been almost ten years since Staley died. Alice in Chains are one of my favourite metal acts.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blueduck
@KingWilly said:
" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
I meant no offense. I am not going to sit here and tell someone one life was worth more than another, either. I was only trying to illustrate for someone who wasn't there how much of an impact that news had on an entire generation of people.  "
Not really an "entire generation" more like anyone is currently 27-31, white, and middle class. 
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
I meant no offense. I am not going to sit here and tell someone one life was worth more than another, either. I was only trying to illustrate for someone who wasn't there how much of an impact that news had on an entire generation of people.  "
Not really an "entire generation" more like anyone is currently 27-31, white, and middle class.  "
Alright buddy, I understand it's rather popular to be contrarian in regards to cultural events and the popular opinion surrounding them, but this isn't really the place for it.
roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By roborobb

Love Kurt, love Nirvana.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vonocourt

Is it weird that whenever someone brings up Nirvana I find myself compelled to listen to TAD instead?

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blueduck
@KingWilly said:
" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
Not really an "entire generation" more like anyone is currently 27-31, white, and middle class.  "
Alright buddy, I understand it's rather popular to be contrarian in regards to cultural events and the popular opinion surrounding them, but this isn't really the place for it. "
So a thread about the cultural impact of their deaths isn't the place to discuss the cultural impact of their death? As I was pointing out it's only popular opinion to people who are 27-31, white, and from the middle class of America. Nice use of the word contrarian by the way!
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By melcene
@blueduck: Bringing race, age, and socioeconomics into this discussion is trying to be contrarian.  Take it to another thread.  The cultural impact of their deaths was being discussed properly... by discussing it in terms of music culture, and regional culture, both of which were affected by their lives.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blueduck
@melcene said:
by discussing it in terms of music culture, and regional culture
 So age, race, and social status having nothing to do with these two? 
Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bocam
@blueduck: "Everybody loves Kurt"?
IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By IBurningStar

Nirvana had a cultural impact. Kurt Cobain had a cultural impact. Kurt's death had a cultural impact. I'm not a fan of Nirvana, but I will admit those things. Another thing I will do is not come in here and troll this thread.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kyreo
@TooWalrus said:
Unless you can link me to this alleged note, I'm going to have to say that what you're saying a bit harsh, dude.
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#30  Edited By Sin4profit

i thought the Guitarist for AiC was the talent of that band...prettysure he wrote most of the songs. 

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
Alright buddy, I understand it's rather popular to be contrarian in regards to cultural events and the popular opinion surrounding them, but this isn't really the place for it. "
So a thread about the cultural impact of their deaths isn't the place to discuss the cultural impact of their death? As I was pointing out it's only popular opinion to people who are 27-31, white, and from the middle class of America. Nice use of the word contrarian by the way! "
The tone I got from your replies made it seem like you were looking for an argument. If that's incorrect then I apologise.  

As for your point, I honestly don't think threads that basically amount to "rest in peace" with a quick write up of why these people were important is really the place to discuss whether or not Kurt or Layne was an asshole. I only responded to this topic because of a comment another person made, who seemed to be too young to either remember how big of a deal it was or wasn't born yet.  

As for the whole "white middle class American" thing, you can say that, sure, but it's not exactly correct. While I doubt that Brazilians (or many of them, at least) mark April 5th down on the calendar to remind themselves of the day Cobain died, it was still important for a great many people in North America. You're saying that nobody was really affected by Cobain's suicide, which lends me to believe you don't remember how breaking updates on the developing situation went down, or how MTV seemed to keep reminding people every ten minutes. It was a big deal, and it was culturally relevant not just for a bunch of middle class white kids, but for the music industry as a whole. Cobain killed a lot more than just himself with that shotgun.
hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hexx462
@blueduck said:
" Linking Kurt Cobain's death to the assassination of Kennedy is insulting. "
How about actually making an attempt to discern what the poster was saying? It was a cultural milestone, not an attempt to place one event's value  over the other. The impact of Cobain's suicide had was massive.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By blueduck
@hexx462 said:
" @blueduck said:
How about actually making an attempt to discern what the poster was saying? It was a cultural milestone, not an attempt to place one event's value  over the other. The impact of Cobain's suicide had was massive. "
What impact was that, please go into detail because I'm having a hard time understanding.
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hunkulese

Yes let's celebrate the day when a guy shot himself in the head with a shotgun and another dude overdosed on cocaine and heroin. I can't see a reason why we wouldn't celebrate that.

Deimos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Deimos

AIC is one of my favorite bands. Shame Layne couldn't get his act straight. I miss his vocals, that being said Duvall is pretty decent as the new lead singer. 
RIP Layne.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By melcene
@blueduck said:

" @melcene said:

So age, race, and social status having nothing to do with these two?  "
You lack reading comprehension.

Anyway, here's a news article from the Seattle Times, that week in 1994 that addresses the cultural impact of the death of Cobain, at least.

By Patrick Macdonald

Kurt Cobain revitalized rock 'n' roll with a natural style that was built on tradition but soared to new heights by expressing the fear, uncertainty and also the exuberance of contemporary youth.

With one song, "Smells Like Teen Spirit," he rapidly rose from an obscure cult figure into a major international star, a journey that frightened and confused him.

Cobain said "Smells Like Teen Spirit" had "a teen revolutionary theme to it."

It also was a cynical rebuke aimed at merchandising to teenagers, since its title came from a deodorant for teen girls.

The success of the single pushed the album it came from, "Nevermind," into international sales of more than 7 million units. The band's most recent album, "In Utero," has sold a little over a million copies.

While critics initially scrambled to define Nirvana's merger of punk and pop, its simultaneous embrace and disdain of what had come before, Cobain always insisted that it was "another style of pop music, just more abrasive."

Eventually the style came to be known as grunge. With Nirvana at the forefront, the Seattle-based genre spread throughout the pop-music world. It has made the city the acknowledged center of the rock world, exemplified by such groups as Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Mudhoney.

Like many of the local bands that have gone on to international stardom, Nirvana began its recording career with the small, feisty Seattle label, Sub Pop. Its first singles and debut album were on Sub Pop, but soon the label could not handle the demand for Nirvana and allowed the group to sign with a major label, Geffen, whose manufacturing, distribution and promotion abilities helped the rapid rise of the band.

@Hunkulese: Celebrating the lives of is what my original post said.  Not the way they both stupidly killed themselves.

@Kyreo:
 I didn't read it, but link here:   http://kurtcobainssuicidenote.com/kurt_cobains_suicide_note.html
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By veektarius
@blueduck: So that's everyone, right?
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Hunkulese said:
" Yes let's celebrate the day when a guy shot himself in the head with a shotgun and another dude overdosed on cocaine and heroin. I can't see a reason why we wouldn't celebrate that. "
Fuck off.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AhmadMetallic

cant we have a nice thread paying homage and tribute and respect to two of the Grunge lords of the world without having to fight about who killed whom and this being a pussy and that being a coward? 

god damn the internet never grows up out of this youtube-comments-esque bullshit

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blueduck
@KingWilly said:
" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @blueduck said:
" @KingWilly said:
So a thread about the cultural impact of their deaths isn't the place to discuss the cultural impact of their death? As I was pointing out it's only popular opinion to people who are 27-31, white, and from the middle class of America. Nice use of the word contrarian by the way! "
The tone I got from your replies made it seem like you were looking for an argument. If that's incorrect then I apologise.   As for your point, I honestly don't think threads that basically amount to "rest in peace" with a quick write up of why these people were important is really the place to discuss whether or not Kurt or Layne was an asshole. I only responded to this topic because of a comment another person made, who seemed to be too young to either remember how big of a deal it was or wasn't born yet.   As for the whole "white middle class American" thing, you can say that, sure, but it's not exactly correct. While I doubt that Brazilians (or many of them, at least) mark April 5th down on the calendar to remind themselves of the day Cobain died, it was still important for a great many people in North America. You're saying that nobody was really affected by Cobain's suicide, which lends me to believe you don't remember how breaking updates on the developing situation went down, or how MTV seemed to keep reminding people every ten minutes. It was a big deal, and it was culturally relevant not just for a bunch of middle class white kids, but for the music industry as a whole. Cobain killed a lot more than just himself with that shotgun. "
When did I say he was an asshole? You're right MTV did keep trying to remind everyone which I don't really see as helping your case. This was the one time period where MTV was relevant  and to this day they keep trying to remind people of it. My actual opinion of Cobain or anyone who thinks Cobain did anything for the Seattle music scene or grunge is that they don't know wtf there talking about. All Cobain did was drag grunge into the music industry machine for it to be packaged and sold. Then all while he was doing this he was getting rich as shit while complaining about the exact thing that was making him rich. The idea that grunge music was killed when he died is so wrong it's crazy, Cobain sold out grunge and then when he died the music industry just continued on its course and killed it off, like it does with any form of music. My final point is that the only people who still bring Cobain up as anything special are the people who probably didn't listen to any Seattle grunge until "It Smells like Teen Spirit" was played at their high school dance. 
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blueduck
@melcene said:
" @blueduck said:

" @melcene said:

So age, race, and social status having nothing to do with these two?  "
You lack reading comprehension.

Ignore point, insult! You win.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" cant we have a nice thread paying homage and tribute and respect to two of the Grunge lords of the world without having to fight about who killed whom and this being a pussy and that being a coward?  god damn the internet never grows up out of this youtube-comments-esque bullshit "
If I could upvote or like this post, I'd do it a thousand times.
Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Moth_Pope

People's attitude here can be unnecessarily arrogant. :\

You can't argue the impact both Nirvana and Alice In Chains had on the music industry. Be it before or after they died, their music meant so much to millions of people and continues to do so. Obviously there will be more people out there who don't care for it, but this subject isn't for them... I don't claim to be the "biggest fan" of either band personally (though I grew up with Nirvana and still listen to them quite regularly), but I really respect what they were able to do and I think their lives should be celebrated by those with that outlook.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By melcene
@blueduck: Perhaps if you hadn't changed my words to suit your purpose, your "point" would have been worth addressing. 

Thank you to those who aren't here to argue.  As I said, I actually wasn't really a big fan of either ban back in the 90s.  During that time, quite honestly, I thought grunge was completely overplayed on the radios.  I came to appreciate what these musicians did during their lives later.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never liked Nirvana and never found them or Cobain to have talent in what they did. 

Layne on the other hand was a shame.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xyzygy

If Cobain didn't kill himself Nirvana would be what Green Day is now, and maybe Grohl wouldn't have ventured off into any of his shitty projects. So I guess thats a negative and a plus respectively, so their whole scene would still be equally shit. 

Staley was however a very decent vocalist. Don't care for the actual music but his singing is pretty good.

skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By skinnyman

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
Eyes burn with stinging sweat
Seems every path leads me to nowhere
Wife and kids, household pet
Army green was no safe bet
The bullets scream to me from somewhere

Yeah they come to snuff the rooster
Yeah here come the rooster, yeah
You know he ain't gonna die
No, no, no, you know he ain't gonna die

Here they come to snuff the rooster
Ah yeah, yeah
Yeah, here come the rooster, yeah

Yeah they come to snuff the rooster

Walkin' tall machine gun man
They spit on me in my home land
Gloria sent me pictures of my boy
Got my pills 'gainst mosquito death
My buddy's breathin' his dyin' breath
Oh god please won't you help me make it through

Yeah they come to snuff the rooster, ah yeah
No, no, you know he ain't gonna die

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I'm assuming KISW is doing this?  I'll have to tune in if I decide to go anywhere today.
hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hexx462
@blueduck said:
" @hexx462 said:
" @blueduck said:
How about actually making an attempt to discern what the poster was saying? It was a cultural milestone, not an attempt to place one event's value  over the other. The impact of Cobain's suicide had was massive. "
What impact was that, please go into detail because I'm having a hard time understanding. "
This link I Miss Kurt Cobain and the video within will sums up what was so great about Kurt Cobain much better than I could hope to. To call him a sell out shows a huge lack of understanding about what he was attempting to do with Nirvana. Which isn't surprising since most people that listen to Nirvana fail to notice the great subversive wit and humor within the lyrics and instead focus on the surface level angst. Aside from maybe Radiohead there hasn't been a wildly successful rock band since Nirvana huge that pushed the envelope creatively and didn't submit to to the pressures of the music industry and pop culture. All you have to do is think of all the terrible music that spawned from Nirvana (the Nickelbacks of this world) and realize that they were one of a kind and absolutely inimitable.
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By Jams

I'm here to pay my respects to the two greats.

and to tell @blueduck to stop fucking trolling. Why don't you act like a grown up and let people be. Or do you have to bother everyone?