Robert Downey Jr. is to Comedy what Heath Ledger is to Drama.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By turboman

ok, we all know that Downey was the perfect cast for Ironman, but what he does in Tropic Thunder eclipses ANYTHING he has done his entire career.

His character is silly enough as it is, an Australian academy award winning actor who's so good, hollywood couldn't find anyone as good to play a black role in a WWII movie, and even if the actor is facing real life danger, he's still going to be in character till the DVD commentary comes out.

Downey provides laughs to me everytime he pops up on screen, and his character never gets old throughout the movie, which if anyone else did it, I'm sure it would have. I'm not going to spoil anything, but there's one scene where Downey is explaining that "HE DON'T READ NO SCRIPT! THE SCRIPT READS ME!" and for a brief second, a giant grin popped on his face, and then he went back to his character. I don't know if the smile was intentional(I doubt it), but the fact that they put something that should have been on the blooper reel into the actual movie made me crack up for a good 3 minutes.

Dark Knight might be "The movie" of 2008, but Tropic Thunder is well worth the money and could be a great classic comedy in a couple of years

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

Downey is my favorite actor. Love the guy. Love his passion, his sheer love of acting. The man really cleaned himself up, and it's good to see him doing well for himself.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Vaxadrin

Do you mean to say he will die of a drug overdose and Tropic Thunder will be hailed as a masterpiece as a result?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turboman
Jayge said:
"Downey is my favorite actor. Love the guy. Love his passion, his sheer love of acting. The man really cleaned himself up, and it's good to see him doing well for himself."
yeah, it's really great to see Downey cleaned up and looking like he's having so much fun at this point in his careerVaxadrin said:
"Do you mean to say he will die of a drug overdose and Tropic Thunder will be hailed as a masterpiece as a result?"

harsh, but there is a point in the movie where the producers are wondering if they'll save the actors from death in the jungle, or try to capatalize on their deaths to get more attention from audiences, I don't know if that bit of dialog was thrown in there since Heath Ledger, but the theater got a little quiet during that
Fax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Fax
Vaxadrin said:
"Do you mean to say he will die of a drug overdose and Tropic Thunder will be hailed as a masterpiece as a result?"

What are you trying to say?
Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Riddler

havent seen tropic thunder yet, its not on pirate bay yet ;)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

Considering Heath Ledger was an abysmal actor who had one good turn, Robert Downey Jr. is way out of his league.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Blu_Magic

Man I really want to see Tropic Thunder.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Black_Rose
Vaxadrin said:

What? If you think TDK is only praised because of Heath you're terribly wrong
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By fr0br0

Downey Jr. really did stand out in the movie. He was great. The movie, however, was just alright.

DemoMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DemoMan
HandsomeDead said:
"Considering Heath Ledger was an abysmal actor who had one good turn, Robert Downey Jr. is way out of his league."
Heath has made plenty of other excellent performances in his rather short career.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Vaxadrin
Fax said:
What are you trying to say?
Black_Rose said:
What? If you think TDK is only praised because of Heath you're terribly wrong

Why so serious?

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By REforever101

Did tropic thunder come out yet? Is it really that good?

Ubergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Ubergeist

Now that's funny.

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By vibratingdonkey

Downey Jr. is cool. Ben Stiller is in that movie though... Are you sure it's good? I hate Ben Stiller.

Avatar image for blacksuitandtie9
BlackSuitAndTie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BlackSuitAndTie9
Vaxadrin said:
I was going to say something to that, but I don't want to get modded.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By c1337us
DemoMan said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Considering Heath Ledger was an abysmal actor who had one good turn, Robert Downey Jr. is way out of his league."
Heath has made plenty of other excellent performances in his rather short career."
Even though I wasn't a big fan of some of his movies Abysmal is pretty harsh. Its like DemoMan said he a had short career and he was just reaching the point of it where he could pick the choice roles instead of taking on crap simply for work and exposure. He would have been big.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By dethfish

Just like Ed Norton is to Kick Ass as Downey Jr. is to Comedy.

But seriously, Downey is funny in almost every movie he is in. Even if the film isn't a comedy he will still make you laugh.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gizmo
HandsomeDead said:
You're a fucking moron. Go die in a big pit of FAIL.
Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By vibratingdonkey

Everyone should see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang btw.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BestUsernameEver
Black_Rose said:
"Vaxadrin said:

What? If you think TDK is only praised because of Heath you're terribly wrong"
No, Ledger's death was one of the only reasons why such a great movie is one of the biggest in the box office. Of course, it shouldn't be that way, but all the yuppies went to see it as a tribute to Heath Legder, sorry to burst your bubble.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By turboman
Dethfish77 said:
"Just like Ed Norton is to Kick Ass as Downey Jr. is to Comedy.

But seriously, Downey is funny in almost every movie he is in. Even if the film isn't a comedy he will still make you laugh."
I'm telling you, every scene Downey was in, he made me crack up...

"Ain't nothing.... but a Thang"
SaintLReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SaintLReviews

he was amazing in tropic thunder

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Vaxadrin said:
I was going to ask whether or not he was inferring that Downey Jr. would be dead before his prime...

...but that last part clearly shows that you have not seen the Dark Knight, and therefore need to gtfo of Giantbomb.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead

Gizmo said:

"HandsomeDead said:
You're a fucking moron. Go die in a big pit of FAIL."
Let's see:
A Knight's Tale: Awful
The Patriot : Even worse
Bokeback Mountain: Boring
The Dark Knight: Epic, but hey, he was basically playing himself seeing as he was into his charly, the twisted mind of the Joker was probably not too different from being a drug addicted loony. But hey, I can't say anything bad about him right, becasue he's dead and all. R.I.P. Heath Ledger, what a guy. My hero. Sleep well, sweet prince, you're forever in my heart and soul.

Meanwhile, we have Robert Downey Jr. who has stared in so many good films over the years that it's hard to know where to begin, so cool your jets, Batfan.
Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Blu_Magic
HandsomeDead said:
Gizmo said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Let's see:
The Dark Knight: Epic, but hey, he was basically playing himself seeing as he was into his charly, the twisted mind of the Joker was probably not too different from being a drug addicted loony. But hey, I can't say anything bad about him right, becasue he's dead and all. R.I.P. Heath Ledger, what a guy. My hero. Sleep well, sweet prince, you're forever in my heart and soul.

Meanwhile, we have Robert Downey Jr. who has stared in so many good films over the years that it's hard to know where to begin, so cool your jets, Batfan."
Ah, so your opinion > his? That's a compelling argument.
pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By pyromaniac
Vaxadrin said:
Inconsiderate much? Jeez
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead
Blu_Magic said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Gizmo said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Let's see:

Meanwhile, we have Robert Downey Jr. who has stared in so many good films over the years that it's hard to know where to begin, so cool your jets, Batfan."
Ah, so your opinion > his? That's a compelling argument."
It's no better than his opinion > mine which was the original arguement.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By Arkthemaniac
HandsomeDead said:
Gizmo said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Let's see:

A Knight's Tale was awesome. A lot of the humor from Chaucer's book was present in it, and Ledger did a good job of playing the lead.
The Patriot was alright, but Heath was definitely good in it.
Never saw Brokeback Mountain because I'm a MAN, GOD DAMNIT!
And his performance in The Dark Knight transcended beyond a "drug-addicted looney", you fool. You can say bad things about him, but about his performances, there's little bad to be said. Even Robert DeNiro has been in bad movies, but has been good. Good acting can't stop a bad movie from being bad. It just makes it pretentious, like the fire in Alone In The Dark.

Robert Downey Jr. is a good actor as well, but hey, newsflash, there can be more than one. Hell, there was at least five in The Godfather alone!
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zityz

Heath Ledger was good in The Brothers Grimm I thought.

Yea, Downey Jr. is always really funny, I thought he was hilarious is A Scanner Darkly.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead

I never said there can't be one, but I just find the comparison between the two ludicrous. Had Ledger not been in Dark Knight, no one would have cared when he died. Or should I say, people would but in no way would it have been as vehement. And in that case, topics like this would never come about. And yeah, his performance was great, but in the other films he really wasn't as good as you say.

Of course, the quality of the film itself comes down to opinion but he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire with his performances, besides Ned Kelly, did he ever get any kind of recognition? He just seemed like the new handsome Hollywood star until TDK.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Subway

Downey is great, one of my favorite actors for sure, every time I see a movie with him I'm blown away by how well he does his roll.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By turboman

it's great that my Downey Jr. thread turned into a Heath Ledger's biography thread

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Steve_Ramirez
REforever101 said:
"Did tropic thunder come out yet? Is it really that good?"
yes
Fax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fax

Didn't Heath get a nom for best actor in Brokeback mountain?

Met2609

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Met2609

I'm very excited for Tropic Thunder. Robert Downey, Jr. has had some great roles recently (Iron Man, Scanner Darkly, and Zodiac) and I've heard plenty of good things about his performance in Thunder.

Fax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fax
TurboMan said:
"it's great that my Downey Jr. thread turned into a Heath Ledger's biography thread"
You shouldn't have put Heath Ledger in the title then.
DemoMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DemoMan

Saying that he played himself in The Dark Knight is simply retarded. And he has pulled of plenty other great performances like in the movie Candy, Brokeback Mountain (the movie itself was pretty boring, but he was great in it), I'm Not There (he didn't have the biggest role, but performed a solid performance) etc.