Robocop cleans up the mean streets of........Toronto, Canada.

• 96 results
jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jerseyscum

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2217473/Easy-rider-Robocop-star-Joel-Kinnman-shoots-motorbike-action-scenes-Canada-new-remake-classic-film.html

(Yes, I'm well aware it's a link to the Daily Fail. I'm sorry)

Yes, the hotly anticipated, PG-13 family friendly Robocop remake will be filmed in one of the most dangerous cities in North America.....Toronto, Canada. Toronto is known as a hotbed of crime and violence and I'm happy to see that the director realizing his vision of giving the audience a stark portrait of post-industrial Detroit, by filming in a country with socialized medicine and free college.

Robocop must now contend with deranged Maple Leafs fans who attempt to attack our protagonist with harsh language and littering. He also must deal with these new threats in a way to not offend the sensibilities of parents or especially the MPAA.

So this is probably one of the worst reboots ever conceived right? Will people actually see this turd or will the studio who bankrolled this atrocity lose millions of dollars?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Wait a minute.

It's PG-13? When the FUCK did that happen?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By laserbolts

I don't see how it being filmed in Toronto will make any difference to the quality of the movie. That being said a PG 13 Robocop movie sounds pretty bad to me.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By jakob187

@laserbolts said:

I don't see how it being filmed in Toronto will make any difference to the quality of the movie. That being said a PG 13 Robocop movie sounds pretty bad to me.

I found an interview with somebody attached to the film, and they basically said that even the director hates the movie - that his ideas are constantly getting rejected, that he's having to fight to keep anything in it, that the script is terrible, and that he can't believe he's having to make a PG-13 film with what should be R-rated material by an amazing cast (Sam Jackson, Gary Oldman, etc).

I feel sorry for this guy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@jakob187 said:

Wait a minute.

It's PG-13? When the FUCK did that happen?

I assume moments after the initial pitch meeting.

Yeah, I have no faith in this remake at all.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By dethfish

Lots of movies are filmed in Toronto then passed off as American cities.

The PG-13 thing is worse.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Barrabas

Alright. I'm about to blow your mind. Lots of movies are filmed in different places from where they're set story wise. BOOM!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By nightriff

I should watch the first one and just skip this like I skipped the Total Recall remake...maybe I'll watch it tonight at work

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jerseyscum

I guess the studio's too afraid to film in Detroit....while setting the movie in Detroit.

That's just disgusting and frankly offensive on so many levels. The studio too chickenshit to pay for the insurance?

(Edited because I was really coming off as a douche. I stand corrected)

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Phatmac

Dude movies are rarely filmed in their place if origin in the movie. And yeah the pg 13 thing kills this movie. How else will Red shoot robocop 30 times!?!

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Genkkaku

The only time this remake was interesting was when Darren Aranofsky was directing and pulled out because they wanted it in 3D..

But damn that costume, that rating..

@jakob187 said:

@laserbolts said:

I found an interview with somebody attached to the film, and they basically said that even the director hates the movie - that his ideas are constantly getting rejected, that he's having to fight to keep anything in it, that the script is terrible, and that he can't believe he's having to make a PG-13 film with what should be R-rated material by an amazing cast (Sam Jackson, Gary Oldman, etc).

I feel sorry for this guy.

That sucks because they would have grabbed him for those great Brazillian police films he did.. and being his first english film they might crush him like they do with most foreign directors

@Nightriff said:

I should watch the first one and just skip this like I skipped the Total Recall remake...maybe I'll watch it tonight at work

Do it

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@laserbolts said:
This.

Come on, they filmed some of the most intensive movies ever in hangars with green screens. Hangars probably located behind children's playgrounds and inbetween beds of roses.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@jerseyscum said:

I guess the studio's too afraid to film in Detroit....while setting the movie in Detroit.

That's just disgusting and frankly offensive on so many levels. Too many scary minorities near your filming locations?

If you knew a thing about Toronto you'd know how stupid you sound right now.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By FrankCanada97

Toronto is a hotbed for movie production. Every month I see production trailers parked on random side streets.

@jerseyscum said:

That's just disgusting and frankly offensive on so many levels. Too many scary minorities near your filming locations?

There are probably way more minorities in Toronto than anyplace else, lol.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

I'm generally a guy that says "Wait until it's out and see how it's received", but, uh, this movie seems like it will be pretty bad. Moviebob said that the Judge Dredd remake was good, so that's a plus, though I've never seen either of those. I don't care for the Total Recall remake. And as for making Robocop PG-13? Eh, that doesn't necessarily make it bad but it should probably be an R film. All in all, this definitely seems like a movie made by a committee of businessman looking for a buck, and who don't understand that the best thing you can do for a movie is to leave the moviemaking to the moviemakers.

The real question is, when will they remake Demolition Man?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

@Genkkaku said:

@Nightriff said:

Do it

I did as well just very recently - still a great movie! Still funny, still disgusting in some parts (I apparently had never seen the 'extended' cut with the added gore, like an extra 3 seconds of ED209 tearing that suit to pieces), and Clarence Boddicker is still a fucking awesome villain. Nancy Allen's performance was a lot worse than I remembered, though.

I also then proceeded to watch Robocop 2 soon after.... Yuk. It's kinda crazy to think that pretty much everything Robocop-related besides the first movie is a piece of shit. Guess it looks like this remake fits the bill perfectly to continue the franchise.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jerseyscum

@Dethfish said:

Lots of movies are filmed in Toronto then passed off as American cities.

The PG-13 thing is worse.

Rumble in the Bronx is possibly the greatest example of this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel

Speaking as a Seattle resident, it is hilarious to see how the city is portrayed in movies that obviously weren't filmed here. Hell, the only reason I even considered watching Chronicle was because there were parts that were honest-to-god recognizably Seattle. The absolute worst was when I saw Chaos, that Jason Statham movie ostensibly set here, yet was obviously filmed everywhere but here, save for a single shot of the downtown skyline. The movie itself was also pretty stupid otherwise, but Christ.

At least we'll always have The Ring.

So yeah, I can understand how anyone that lives in Detroit might be put off by the idea of Toronto serving as a stand-in.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Animasta

@FrankCanada97 said:

Toronto is a hotbed for movie production. Every month I see production trailers parked on random side streets.

@jerseyscum said:

There are probably way more minorities in Toronto than anyplace else, lol.

I always heard it was Vancouver that had the largest amount of minorities

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Genkkaku

@Yummylee said:

@Genkkaku said:

@Nightriff said:

Do it

I did as well just very recently - still a great movie! Still funny, still disgusting in some parts (I apparently had never seen the 'extended' cut with the added gore, like an extra 3 seconds of ED209 tearing that suit to pieces), and Clarence Boddicker is still a fucking awesome villain. Nancy Allen's performance was a lot worse than I remembered, though.

I also then proceeded to watch Robocop 2 soon after.... Yuk. It's kinda crazy to think that pretty much everything Robocop-related besides the first movie is a piece of shit. Guess it looks like this remake fits the bill perfectly to continue the franchise.

It's been a while since I've gone back and watched it myself, Might do that tonight actually.. Everything that Paul Verhoven (When he is on his game) is about is summed up in this film, I think his unique take on it makes it the classic it that it is.. also never knew that Irvin Kershner directed Robocop 2, that sucks..

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Barrabas said:

Alright. I'm about to blow your mind. Lots of movies are filmed in different places from where they're set story wise. BOOM!

NOO!!! IT ISN'T TRUE!

TELL ME IT ISN'T TRUE!

Anyways... PG13? MEH.. Pass.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By evanbower

@jerseyscum said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2217473/Easy-rider-Robocop-star-Joel-Kinnman-shoots-motorbike-action-scenes-Canada-new-remake-classic-film.html

Yes, the hotly anticipated, PG-13 family friendly Robocop remake will be filmed in one of the most dangerous cities in North America.....Toronto, Canada. Toronto is known as a hotbed of crime and violence and I'm happy to see that the director realizing his vision of giving the audience a stark portrait of post-industrial Detroit, by filming in a country with socialized medicine and free college.

Robocop must now contend with deranged Maple Leafs fans who attempt to attack our protagonist with harsh language and littering. He also must deal with these new threats in a way to not offend the sensibilities of parents or especially the MPAA.

So this is probably one of the worst reboots ever conceived right? Will people actually see this turd or will the studio who bankrolled this atrocity lose millions of dollars?

If college is free here.... well, I don't know who my student loan payments have been going to every month.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel

@evanbower said:

@jerseyscum said:

If college is free here.... well, I don't know who my student loan payments have been going to every month.

Some Americans live under this bizarre impression that Canada is a land of milk and honey where the government pays for everything and nothing bad ever happens. This notion tends to intensify during election years.

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By banishedsoul1

um toronto is one of the safest cities in north america....

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel said:

@evanbower said:

@jerseyscum said:

Some Americans live under this bizarre impression that Canada is a land of milk and honey where the government pays for everything and nothing bad ever happens. This notion tends to intensify during election years.

some americans also live in places where, what canada DOES do seems like unicorns and rainbows.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nightriff

@Genkkaku: Kershner the guy who did Empire Strikes Back or am I mixing up people?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Sackmanjones

While youcan fit more "stuff" into a pg13 movie than you could when the original came out, I feel like that opening won't stand up in this one. Bummer.....

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel

@rebgav said:

@Sackmanjones said:

While youcan fit more "stuff" into a pg13 movie than you could when the original came out, I feel like that opening won't stand up in this one. Bummer.....

There were no PG-13 movies when the original came out. They were still kind of lucky to get an R rating.

Incorrect. The PG-13 rating was adopted in 1984. Robocop was released in 1987.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Genkkaku

@Nightriff said:

@Genkkaku: Kershner the guy who did Empire Strikes Back or am I mixing up people?

Yeah that him, that's why it's kind of a bummer its not that good..

@Sackmanjones said:

That's why Die Hard 4 is "awesome"..

The original was built on hyper-violence why would they think that a PG-13 was a good idea.. oh yeah money..

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheHumanDove

Free college?...FREE COLLEGE?

Be more globally aware, thx

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King

I was hoping it would literally be somebody going to Toronto, dressed as RoboCop, to clean up the streets like a cybernetic janitor.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jerseyscum

@TheHumanDove said:

Free college?...FREE COLLEGE?

Be more globally aware, thx

*sigh*

Open mouth and insert foot.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheHumanDove

@jerseyscum said:

That's just disgusting and frankly offensive on so many levels. The studio too chickenshit to pay for the insurance?

(Edited because I was really coming off as a douche. I stand corrected)

I dont think any amount of editing is going to help change that at this point.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nightriff

@Genkkaku: I don't get why people thought Die Hard 4 was good, I thought it was a pretty terrible movie compared to 1 and 3, still need to check out 2

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I don't really see why it matters where it was filmed. It may be hard to believe but The Dark Knight was filmed in Chicago, not Gotham City.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Genkkaku

@Nightriff: I didn't mind it the first time I saw it in theater's I thought it was okay, not better then the rest but okay.. But after watching it again yeah it was pretty terrible, I don't think Len Wisemen was a great choice at all and the PG-ifying of it made it more of just another action film, even losing McClane's tagline.. Though the Teaser's for 5 have me a little hopeful but if it doesn't retain an R rating I dunno..

I liked 2, it's probably the weakest of the 3 but still enjoyable..

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Not quite sure if its a good thing that they're filming Toronto to look like Detroit.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SpaceRunaway

I was having a conversation about what part of the Robocop story could get cut out so that it would reach the level of not going to Mars in the Total Recall remake. I mean, aside from being PG-13 and most likely removing the satire completely. I think I decided that it would be if Murphy was either dead from the beginning of the movie, or better yet, an A.I. construct the entire time.

Anyway now I'll be thinking of Toronto as Old Toronto.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BraveToaster

@Barrabas said:

Lol, who would've thunk it?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nightriff

@Genkkaku: They seriously are doing a 5th? That's depressing...

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jerseyscum

I apologize to my fellow Canadian bombers. I was more than a little off in my previous statements and I stand corrected.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By colourful_hippie

I lost all interest as soon as I found out that the movie was going to be PG-13.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jerseyscum

And after further research, I've come to realize that a large percentage of the first Robocop was filmed in Dallas.

I'm a moron, please disregard previous statements or posts.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Genkkaku

@Nightriff: Yeah there's a teaser somewhere on the internet.. He goes to Russia to fight terrorists with his estranged son and it's directed by the guy who made Max payne and it's also called..

A Good Day to Die Hard

Wait all my excitement is now gone.. I just talked myself out of it..

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nightriff

@Genkkaku said:

@Nightriff: Yeah there's a teaser somewhere on the internet.. He goes to Russia to fight terrorists with his estranged son and it's directed by the guy who made Max payne and it's also called..

A Good Day to Die Hard

Wait all my excitement is now gone.. I just talked myself out of it..

.....If you are serious then FUCK that movie, that just sounds like the worst thing ever

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Animasta

@jerseyscum: to be fair, dallas is at least mildly dangerous

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Genkkaku

@Nightriff: Also it comes out on Valentines Day

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MiniPato

@jerseyscum said:

And after further research, I've come to realize that a large percentage of the first Robocop was filmed in Dallas.

I'm a moron, please disregard previous statements or posts.

EVERYONE POINT AND LAUGH! Point and laugh!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MikkaQ

Right this has nothing to do with the fact that shooting film in Toronto is cheap as shit and we have all the equipment and facilities pretty centrally located.

People can't afford to shoot on location anymore, so yeah. Also Toronto's got some ugly, ugly ass neighborhoods, so trust me it's not a bad stand in for Detroit. It just doesn't have the same third world country feel that Detroit does, unfortunately.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Man Robocop looks like Kamen Rider.