Root Canal or Pulled Tooth?

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By METALM1LITIA91

I go to the dentist for what I thought was a chipped tooth. He informed me that it was rather bad and I need a root canal. He said pulling the tooth would do the trick but he recommends a root canal.

Have any of you had either a root canal or pulled tooth? What do you recommend.

I've heard root canals are bad so I don't know if thats what I want to do

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

I go to the dentist for what I thought was a chipped tooth. He informed me that it was rather bad and I need a root canal. He said pulling the tooth would do the trick but he recommends a root canal.

Have any of you had either a root canal or pulled tooth? What do you recommend.

I've heard root canals are bad so I don't know if thats what I want to do

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

Get a root canal, I had to get like 7 when I got hit in the face with a golf club, and they are not bad at all. If the dentist knows what he is doing of course.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By FrankCanada97

I think you should trust the trained professional.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Ive heard root canals are painful but ive never had one, but i have had several teeth pulled which wasnt bad at all.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CL60
@SirPsychoSexy said:
" Ive heard root canals are painful but ive never had one, but i have had several teeth pulled which wasnt bad at all. "
Root canals are less painful then teeth being pulled.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Osaladin

I had a bad experience with my root canal. First off, the dentist missed my gum with the anesthetic and injected my tongue. Then he forgot to re-administer the anesthetic when it wore off (the root canal took about 4 hours), before he put the false metal root into the nerve. I can honestly say that when he drove the metal root into the nerve, it was the most painful thing I've ever felt, and I've broken my wrist, and ruptured my ACL, tore my meniscus, and shattered my knee bone.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CL60
@Osaladin said:
" I had a bad experience with my root canal. First off, the dentist missed my gum with the anesthetic and injected my tongue. Then he forgot to re-administer the anesthetic when it wore off (the root canal took about 4 hours), before he put the false metal root into the nerve. I can honestly say that when he drove the metal root into the nerve, it was the most painful thing I've ever felt, and I've broken my wrist, and ruptured my ACL, tore my meniscus, and shattered my knee bone. "
All of my root canals have been quick and easy. An hour max. Most of the time less then that. No pain what so ever. I think you should get a new dentist :P
TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TheGamerGeek

I have had 2 root canals and they indeed do suck but they're not as bad as you think. I'd say Root Canal.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Osaladin
@CL60 said:
" @Osaladin said:
" I had a bad experience with my root canal. First off, the dentist missed my gum with the anesthetic and injected my tongue. Then he forgot to re-administer the anesthetic when it wore off (the root canal took about 4 hours), before he put the false metal root into the nerve. I can honestly say that when he drove the metal root into the nerve, it was the most painful thing I've ever felt, and I've broken my wrist, and ruptured my ACL, tore my meniscus, and shattered my knee bone. "
All of my root canals have been quick and easy. An hour max. Most of the time less then that. No pain what so ever. I think you should get a new dentist :P "
Yeah, that was about 6 years back, I think the dentist that I went to actually went to jail for illegal selling drugs(medicinal) on the streets.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
@Osaladin said:
" @CL60 said:
" @Osaladin said:
All of my root canals have been quick and easy. An hour max. Most of the time less then that. No pain what so ever. I think you should get a new dentist :P "
Yeah, that was about 6 years back, I think the dentist that I went to actually went to jail for illegal selling drugs(medicinal) on the streets. "
Hmm, seems like a bad dentist. :P
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11  Edited By natetodamax

I heard root canals hurt bad, and when you have teeth pulled you don't feel anything. The only pain is when they stick that needle into your gums so you don't feel anything when you have them yanked out.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60
@natetodamax said:
" I heard root canals hurt bad, and when you have teeth pulled you don't feel anything. The only pain is when they stick that needle into your gums so you don't feel anything when you have them yanked out. "
As I said multiple times in this topic, root canals do not hurt at all :P

Unless your dentist is terrible at what he does they are painless.
Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Psyx2

My dad's had root canals before and he says they're really painful. I've had my own teeth pulled before and I didn't feel anything, even after it was pulled and the numbness went away. Getting your tooth pulled seems like the safer choice to me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By mike

If you get a tooth pulled you'll need a post and an implant or at the very least a bridge.

I had a tooth pulled a few years ago after many different root canals and various problems with it. Having it pulled was the best decision I ever made...years of pain and trouble gone in 20 minutes. I have a titanium tooth and post in there now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Meltbrain said:
"What are you afraid of pain or something? Go for the canal treatment, man. Jeez. Only get a tooth pulled when you really have to."
Dude I fucking hate the dentist, I don't blame the poor bastard for wondering what it's like, I want to kick the fuckers in the head as soon as they pull out the drills, but I know there only helping me.
@CL60 said:
"Get a root canal, I had to get like 7 when I got hit in the face with a golf club, and they are not bad at all. If the dentist knows what he is doing of course."

You should totally post the story on your Golf Club face massacre, unless your already did.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have some of the worst teeth for someone of my age range. I've actually had both.

And really, it's all relative, the answer to which is worse. Relative to the tooth's positioning in the gum itself, the severity of cavity, the responsiveness of the tooth's nerve, the ability of the dentist.

Both the root canal and the pulled tooth were molars for me, so the experience can be compared pretty easily. The pulling of the tooth took less time, because there is less of a process (again, strong, healthy teeth are more difficult to remove, however). Ultimately it comes down to how much you trust your dentist. If you've spent some time in the patient's chair and know how deft he is and feel he is capable of doing the job, then the root canal is probably the way to go.

Just food for thought, though: I'd rather have a crowned tooth than no tooth at all.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'd go with what the doctor advises. A root canal will be more painful, but could be a much better move in the long run.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By ArchScabby
@CL60 said:
" Get a root canal, I had to get like 7 when I got hit in the face with a golf club, and they are not bad at all. If the dentist knows what he is doing of course. "
how?  did you piss off a golfer?
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Akeldama

ive had both and trust me, you want a root canal. Less blood.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Root canal = keeping whats salvagable in your tooth

Pulled tooth = one less tooth to help you chew, one step closer to being a toothless hilbilly and so much more expensive to implant a new tooth.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Hairydutchman
@natetodamax said:
" I heard root canals hurt bad, and when you have teeth pulled you don't feel anything. The only pain is when they stick that needle into your gums so you don't feel anything when you have them yanked out. "
That needle in your gum hurts like a motherfucker. It's like they stick a metal piece in there instead of a needle.

The rest of it aint so bad. Except the fact that you're drooling blood for a couple of hours.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60
@ArchScabby said:
" @CL60 said:
" Get a root canal, I had to get like 7 when I got hit in the face with a golf club, and they are not bad at all. If the dentist knows what he is doing of course. "
how?  did you piss off a golfer? "
My cousin is a moron and was swinging a golf club around everywhere and it hit me in the mouth.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CL60

@CL60 said:
"Get a root canal, I had to get like 7 when I got hit in the face with a golf club, and they are not bad at all. If the dentist knows what he is doing of course."
You should totally post the story on your Golf Club face massacre, unless your already did. "
I should! Not sure if I did already, I would have to check :P
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shadow

root canal.  Do you really want to be missing a tooth?

Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hilbert
@METALM1LITIA91 said:
"I go to the dentist for what I thought was a chipped tooth. He informed me that it was rather bad and I need a root canal. He said pulling the tooth would do the trick but he recommends a root canal. Have any of you had either a root canal or pulled tooth? What do you recommend.I've heard root canals are bad so I don't know if thats what I want to do "

Get the root canal, the pain is an old wife's tail. the nervous system in your tooth is completely or half dead so that's why your tooth feels different when you touch it with your tongue. In other words you feel nothing, you don't even need a sedation for it, although to just ease your mind take the needle anyway.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Route Canal. I'd reccomend Dr. Freeman.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CL60
@Hilbert said:
" @METALM1LITIA91 said:
"I go to the dentist for what I thought was a chipped tooth. He informed me that it was rather bad and I need a root canal. He said pulling the tooth would do the trick but he recommends a root canal. Have any of you had either a root canal or pulled tooth? What do you recommend.I've heard root canals are bad so I don't know if thats what I want to do "
Get the root canal, the pain is an old wife's tail. the nervous system in your tooth is completely or half dead so that's why your tooth feels different when you touch it with your tongue. In other words you feel nothing, you don't even need a sedation for it, although to just ease your mind take the needle anyway. "
This, but well, without the sedation you will still feel a massive tingling in your gum, I had to change dentists for one of mine and he sucked and barely froze it and it was tingling insanely, but yeah, otherwise..to say they are massively painful is just ridiculous, they don't hurt at all. Getting my wisdom teeth out was 15x worse.
Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hilbert
@CL60 said:
"@Hilbert said:
" @METALM1LITIA91 said:
Get the root canal, the pain is an old wife's tail. the nervous system in your tooth is completely or half dead so that's why your tooth feels different when you touch it with your tongue. In other words you feel nothing, you don't even need a sedation for it, although to just ease your mind take the needle anyway. "
This, but well, without the sedation you will still feel a massive tingling in your gum, I had to change dentists for one of mine and he sucked and barely froze it and it was tingling insanely, but yeah, otherwise..to say they are massively painful is just ridiculous, they don't hurt at all. Getting my wisdom teeth out was 15x worse."

Yeah and besides, his name is:  Metalmilitia91 not FluffyBunny6.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By skrutop

I had a root canal done two years ago, and it was no worse than getting a cavity filled.  They might've been horrible 15-20 years ago, but the tools and techniques aren't the same anymore.