#1 Edited by BillyMaysRIP (219 posts) -

OSIRIS-REx is a space mission by the University of Arizona, NASA, and Lockheed Martin to collect samples from asteroid 101955 Bennu. The spacecraft will be launched in 2016 and the Sample Return Capsule will come back to Earth in 2023.

Anyway, recently they have allowed people to submit their names to be engraved on a microchip that will be on the sample return capsule and spacecraft. It's a similar situation to Stardust back in 99.

From the website:

NASA’s OSIRIS-REx mission and The Planetary Society invite you to submit your name for a round-trip ride to asteroid Bennu. Your name will hitch a ride to the asteroid, spend 500 days there, and return in the Sample Return Capsule to Earth in 2023.

Plus your name will be on the spacecraft, which will remain in space long after returning the sample return capsule to Earth.

You can sign up here: http://www.planetary.org/get-involved/messages/bennu/

My first thought was to sign up in honor of Ryan. I am Certificate #00051793, with the name Ryan "Taswell" Davis. Long after the world is blown up by aliens or t-rexs in spaceships, Ryan's name will be on some far off asteroid, floating through space.

#2 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

That's really cool man. Great way to honor him.

#3 Posted by alternate (2715 posts) -

sounds dumb

#4 Posted by MikeLemmer (570 posts) -

sounds dumb

Exactly! I think microchips on asteroids ranks right up there with pies in toilets for Ryan.

#5 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

Dang, that's cool. I like it.

#6 Edited by Fattony12000 (7517 posts) -

Stellar.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (15010 posts) -

Far Out.

#8 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Seems perhaps a bit weird to put someone else's name on something like this.

#9 Edited by SlashDance (1827 posts) -

He's already up there.

#10 Edited by EdgeKasey (134 posts) -

Seems perhaps a bit weird to put someone else's name on something like this.

This was my thoughts....all though I never know what is appropriate, this stuff can get weird because everyone has different opinions on what is acceptable. Your heart is in the right place though :)

#11 Posted by mostman (251 posts) -

Man - the RotJ clip still crushes me. I miss that duder.

#12 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1620 posts) -

sounds dumb

In all the right ways.

#13 Posted by BBOYS2231 (200 posts) -

That's awesome man. Definitely sign up. Great tribute to an even better Duder.

#14 Posted by tomobedlam (33 posts) -
#15 Posted by Three0neFive (2297 posts) -
#16 Edited by Stete (748 posts) -

That's cool but I think we should all pitch in to strap a microSD onto that chip which will be filled with videos that Ryan participated in. I mean I cannot think of a better way to summarize human culture as a whole than a video of Ryan Davis laughing maniacally at a buring pile of money.

#17 Edited by Evilsbane (4645 posts) -

@stete said:

That's cool but I think we should all pitch in to strap a microSD onto that chip which will be filled with videos that Ryan participated in. I mean I cannot think of a better way to summarize human culture as a whole than a video of Ryan Davis laughing maniacally at a buring pile of money.

Could you imagine? Being an alien and finding an SD card full of just videos he has done, how fucking confused would you be by this strange man with eyewear Roasting this green salad and seems quite happy about it.

#18 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

Sounds like a badass idea!

#19 Edited by ThatOneDudeNick (652 posts) -

I did this for myself a couple days ago. It's corny, but a cool way to get people interested in what NASA is doing. Since mapping and returning part of an asteroid to Earth apparently isn't interesting on it's own. Nobody will ever see it, but who wouldn't want their name in space forever?! It even gives you a certificate with Bill Nye's digital signature (he runs the Planetary Society). It's legit. As far as putting Ryan's name on it, I'm sure the community will be split down the middle. I don't see how it would hurt anything. There will probably be a few hundred thousand names going up by the time this is over (I was in the first 2000, and 12 hours ago OP said he was 51793). We wouldn't be the only people putting up a name other than their own, I'm sure. There's gotta be at least 100 by now that say "boobies" or "penis".