• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by gamerpigeon (345 posts) -

Ryan's verbal tick of using 'ality' at the end of every word has got to stop.

It is so f**king dumb!

He uses it every time he wants to explain an aspect of something in a game or indeed seemingly everything.

I honestly couldn't care if most or all of the words are part of the English dictionary it just sounds so dumb when it is used every time he wants to make a point about a game.

Love ya Ryan but this 'tick' drives me unreasonably crazy

@gamerpigeon said:

I have no hate towards Ryan. He's one of favourite guys on the crew. He's great and an absolute trooper. Giant Bomb would be much worse without him. BUT this ality thing is so funny to me as well as highly frustrating. Its a real love hate thing. Its dumb as hell to me personally, it makes me smile but also get frustrated as it seems to me to be shortcut to sounding intelligent.

#2 Edited by Animasta (14649 posts) -

dude ryan has fucked with the english language for YEARS.

see: shword

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5722 posts) -

Yes, please make more stupid threads like this.

#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Ryan's ad-libbed phonological stylings elevate him far above the level of most mainstream podcasters.

#5 Posted by RoboRobb (1051 posts) -

I think Ryan's style of destroying modern english is hilarious and admirable. To each their own!

#6 Posted by wjb (1639 posts) -

*shrug*

I think there are far worse things about Ryan than that, but either way, so what? Everyone is annoying in some way. Pointing it out isn't going to make you look better or make it go away.

I've been telling that to the Patrick haters for months.

#7 Posted by gamerpigeon (345 posts) -

I have no hate towards Ryan. He's one of favourite guys on the crew. He's great and an absolute trooper. Giant Bomb would be much worse without him. BUT this ality thing is so funny to me as well as highly frustrating. Its a real love hate thing. Its dumb as hell to me personally, it makes me smile but also get frustrated as it seems to me to be shortcut to sounding intelligent.

#8 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

Can you give an example because I have actually never noticed it. Also I kind of like Ryan's weird verbal "ticks". Like when he always pronounce the W in sword.

#9 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3800 posts) -

Hmm never noticed that. I like how he says robit.

Hehheheh....robit.

#10 Posted by Aegon (5411 posts) -

Zambies

#11 Posted by EXTomar (4508 posts) -

Is this thread stupidalty?

#12 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I never even noticed this. I honestly can't even think of an example.

#13 Posted by CaLe (3914 posts) -

I literally have no idea what you are talking about. I haven't noticed this at all.

#14 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I'm trying to remember the word he absolutely butchered in the first year of the podcast so I can make you understand that Ryan talks like Jackson Pollack paints. I think he said either "disregardless" or "unregardless," which caused everyone to stop him so they could laugh. This is separate from the time Leigh corrected Ryan, too, so understand that this is a regular and ridiculous thing that he does.

#15 Posted by CornBREDX (4836 posts) -

He does it on purpose. 
I think it's funny. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. The fact that it bothers you is why he does it- making it funnier.

#16 Posted by Humanity (8841 posts) -

Also Jeff must be stopped from wearing his blue polo in yellow stripes. This HAS TO BE STOPPED it's just a shortcut to Jeff trying to look presentable but those colors just clash TOO MUCH!

#17 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

BABALITY

#18 Posted by Flappy (2139 posts) -

Nothing comes to mind, so an example would be nice.

#19 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

I...what...huh?

Okay, man.

#20 Posted by Aegon (5411 posts) -

Where's that list of all his weird pronunciations?

#21 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

oh my god who fucking cares

#22 Posted by Lysergica33 (517 posts) -

Ah, Ryanisms..

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14577 posts) -

I like his overuse of "brutally rebuffed"

#24 Posted by Superkenon (1396 posts) -

@Animasta said:

dude ryan has fucked with the english language for YEARS.

see: shword

Nah, it's more like "Swuard". Which, God help me, I've started saying that way too.

I don't know who I am anymore.

#25 Posted by urban_ryoga (83 posts) -

I mean, I know he has an interesting grasp of the english language, but the only thing that comes to mind is his clash with Will Smith.

#26 Posted by M_Shini (550 posts) -

Never noticed, if kinda funny how we or some notice tiny things or even over analyse the GB personality's how ever so small.

#27 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -

You're going to have to give some examples because I have no recollection.

#28 Posted by Rasmoss (443 posts) -

I would listen to Ryan talk at length about pretty much anything.

#29 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -

@Aegon said:

Here.

#30 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

Bat-mun is my favourite Davisism.

#31 Posted by pyromagnestir (4251 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Aegon said:

Here.

I think this clearly shows the man is the preeminent wordsmith of our time and he can do no wrong.

#32 Posted by rahulricky (210 posts) -

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/danieljw/words-ryan-pronounces-with-a-verbal-flourish/46-15101/ <-- has this been linked yet?

#33 Posted by utamaru (96 posts) -

no

#34 Posted by Splodge (1073 posts) -

Ever listen to yourself on a recording for any length of time? WE ALL have annoying ticks. It's far easier to notice someone else's patterns than it is your own.

Get over it for fucks sake.

#35 Posted by CaLe (3914 posts) -

Hey Mr. OP guy, I'm still waiting for you to tell me what the heck you're talking about. Give some examples or something; but even if he does do what you say, I'm willing to bet that it sure as hell isn't frequent enough to qualify as being called a 'verbal tick.' Maybe you are the one with the problem, sir.

#36 Posted by warxsnake (2639 posts) -

This thread is an amuse bouche of stupidity

#37 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

Don't like Bombcast?! Don't eat!

#38 Edited by BisonHero (6221 posts) -

@Ravenlight

Ryan's ad-libbed phonological stylings elevate him far above the level of most mainstream podcasters.

I've always assumed that his choice to mispronounce certain words for a laugh (sWord, zambies, etc.) was a smokescreen for a crippling lack of culture and language skills. He seems like he has no idea how to pronounce any foreign words except for some Spanish. And he mispronounces or reinvents English words that really aren't that difficult. So he doubles down on the whole thing and plays it off like it's an affectation. I've come to accept this.

The bigger issue is Patrick trying to use fancy phrases that he doesn't understand. He called a visual novel a "zero-sum game", which is impossible. He meant something like "it's an all or nothing experience, and you have to commit to getting all of the endings", which is not even close to the definition of zero-sum game.

#39 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Ryan doesn't give a fuckality about your opinions of his use of language.

#40 Posted by Nights (607 posts) -

"Hey guys, let's over-analyze everything the staff does and then bitch about it on the forums!"

#41 Edited by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

suh-ward

EDIT: Ryan Davis knows more than you do.

#42 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I want the entire staff to be boring robits with zero personality and quirks of their own. Basically Gamespot.

#43 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

Im sure Ryan read your post and is going to change. That is the reason you made this stupid thread right?

#44 Edited by Bass (692 posts) -

Are you talking about him using the word causality in the last podcast (or maybe the one before that, I can't remember)? Because that's a real word that is used by people in a real (serious) setting fairly often. It's used fairly often when talking about philosophy or physics. It may sound like a silly word, but it's fine. Similarly, causation is a word too.

#45 Edited by Akyho (1585 posts) -

I cant tell what words you may talking about that so here is a list of words that have ality at the the end, tell us which one of these English words that you are talking about.

abnormality, aboriginality, accentuality, accidentality, actuality, adverbiality, aeriality, alamodality, ambisexuality, amorality, anality, animality, archiepiscopality, artificiality, asexuality, atonality, axiality, banality, bestiality, biblicality, bilaterality, bipotentiality, bisexuality, brutality, cardinality, carnality, causality, centrality, circumstantiality, classicality, coequality, coessentiality, collegiality, colloidality, comicality, commensality, commonality, communality, conditionality, confidentiality, congeniality, conicality, conjugality, connaturality, connubiality, constitutionality, consubstantiality, conventionality, conviviality, cordiality, corporality, corporeality, correality, criminality, criticality, curiality, devotionality, dextrality, dimensionality, disproportionality, duality, effectuality, egality, electorality, elementality, emotionality, equality, equivocality, essentiality, ethereality, eventuality, exceptionality, externality, exterritoriality, extraterritoriality, extrinsicality, fantasticality, fatality, feminality, feodality, feudality, finality, finicality, formality, frugality, functionality, generality, geniality, graduality, gutturality, habituality, heterosexuality, homosexuality, horizontality, hospitality, hypersexuality, ideality, illegality, illiberality, illocality, illogicality, immateriality, immorality, immortality, impartiality, imperiality, impersonality, impracticality, impunctuality, inconsequentiality, incorporality, incorporeality, individuality, ineffectuality, inequality, informality, inhospitality, inimicality, instrumentality, insubstantiality, integrality, intellectuality, intentionality, internality, intersexuality, intrinsicality, irrationality, joviality, laicality, laterality, legality, lethality, liberality, lineality, linguality, locality, logicality, magisteriality, magistrality, magnality, marginality, materiality, mentality, meridionality, modality, monosexuality, morality, mortality, municipality, mutuality, nasality, natality, nationality, naturality, neutrality, normality, notionality, occasionality, officiality, orality, orientality, originality, orthodoxality, ovality, papality, paranormality, parochiality, partiality, pedality, penality, personality, plurality, pontificality, potentiality, practicality, presentiality, preternaturality, primality, principality, probality, prodigality, propheticality, proportionality, provinciality, prudentiality, psychosexuality, punctuality, quality, quizzicality, radicality, rascality, rationality, reality, reciprocality, regality, rivality, rurality, seasonality, sectionality, seminality, sensuality, sentimentality, septentrionality, sequentiality, seriality, sesqyipedality, severality, sexuality, signality, sinistrality, sociality, sociosexuality, sodality, speciality, spirality, spirituality, subnormality, substantiality, superficiality, supernaturality, tangentiality, technicality, temporality, theatricality, thermoneutrality, tonality, topicality, totality, totipotentiality, transcendentality, triality, triliterality, tripersonality, triviality, typicality, unconditionality, unconstitutionality, unconventionality, universality, unmorality, unreality, unusuality, vegetality, venality, veniality, verbality, verticality, virtuality, vitality, vocality, whimsicality,

Also I use a bunch of stupid words just like Ryan. I say such things and Spidermins, I only found out Ryan has said similar with Spidermins. also saying "what Timiney is it?" as in "What time is it?" I even said "whats the tim?" and I get people to answere me as if I never said anything stupid.

I also play around with word just like Ryan apparently. Yeah I do such things on purpose.

#46 Posted by Brodehouse (9621 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Ravenlight

I've always assumed that his choice to mispronounce certain words for a laugh (sWord, zambies, etc.) was a smokescreen for a crippling lack of culture and language skills. He seems like he has no idea how to pronounce any foreign words except for some Spanish. And he mispronounces or reinvents English words that really aren't that difficult. So he doubles down on the whole thing and plays it off like it's an affectation. I've come to accept this. The bigger issue is Patrick trying to use fancy phrases that he doesn't understand. He called a visual novel a "zero-sum game", which is impossible. He meant something like "it's an all or nothing experience, and you have to commit to getting all of the endings", which is not even close to the definition of zero-sum game.

Bahaha, oh yeah. Man, Patrick. I still think the overuse of 'ostensibly' is better.

#47 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -
Pirates - "Peer-ah-tah-ss"

Haha.

#48 Edited by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -

I appreciate a good tearing down of the English language, and Ryan likes to bastardize it in a lot of the same ways I do.

I'm for it.

#49 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

@warxsnake said:

This thread is an amuse bouche of stupidity

Stupidality.

#50 Posted by BisonHero (6221 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@BisonHero said:

@Ravenlight

I've always assumed that his choice to mispronounce certain words for a laugh (sWord, zambies, etc.) was a smokescreen for a crippling lack of culture and language skills. He seems like he has no idea how to pronounce any foreign words except for some Spanish. And he mispronounces or reinvents English words that really aren't that difficult. So he doubles down on the whole thing and plays it off like it's an affectation. I've come to accept this. The bigger issue is Patrick trying to use fancy phrases that he doesn't understand. He called a visual novel a "zero-sum game", which is impossible. He meant something like "it's an all or nothing experience, and you have to commit to getting all of the endings", which is not even close to the definition of zero-sum game.

Bahaha, oh yeah. Man, Patrick. I still think the overuse of 'ostensibly' is better.

Yeah, but at least he's using it correctly. It's just that he uses it way too often, when he could also throw in the occasional "supposedly", "seemingly", or "for all intents and purposes".

Though I've noticed I have a habit of doing something similar in my own writing and speaking. If I don't consciously look out for it, I somehow end up starting like 30% of my sentences with "basically" whenever I am trying to explain or summarize a topic. I've seen it get pretty bad in some of my writing before I proofread, or if I'm giving a presentation and have to answer question off the cuff.