• 101 results
#1 Edited by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
This is what sparked this topic.
Personally, I think the list is PURE CRAP for one reason . . . The Iron Giant isn't on it. I thought the scene where the Iron Giant flies in to intercept the atomic bomb was incredibly sad. I still tear up when I see it. It's also the exact moment that made me realize that The Iron Giant is one of the best movies ever made.

Yours?
#2 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Bambi is a given, but at the time....Pokemon the First Movie.

THAT SHIT IS SAD WHEN YOU'RE 5-7!!

#3 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Coltonio7 said:
"Bambi is a given, but at the time....Pokemon the First Movie.

THAT SHIT IS SAD WHEN YOU'RE 5-7!!"
Okay, first rule: NO ONE can answer Bambi.
#4 Edited by Discorsi (1390 posts) -

WWHY CHARIZARD  WHYYYYYY????!?!?!!?

#5 Posted by bjorno (1409 posts) -

that episode of pokemon where pikachu almost left ash for a bunch of other pussy pikachus.

#6 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

The end of Snow White and the 7 Dwarves: When the handsome prince breaks the spell by making out with her corpse thus reanimating her.

#7 Posted by RandomHero666 (3174 posts) -

Aww i was gonna answer bambi..
Dont watch many animated stuff xcept Family guy etc.
But if you've ever see spirit, about horses, theres some sad moments there, but nothing special.

#8 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -
Discorsi said:
"WWHY CHARIZARD  WHYYYYYY????!?!?!!?"
bjorno said:
"that episode of pokemon where pikachu almost left ash for a bunch of other pussy pikachus."
Pokemon is the saddest thing ever. ='(
#9 Posted by madsnake (21 posts) -

Monster Inc, the goodbye escene was kind of sad.

#10 Edited by Absurd (2934 posts) -

Dude you're right, I forgot about the Iron giant....and yes the first Pokemon movie.

#11 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -
keyhunter said:
"The end of Snow White and the 7 Dwarves: When the handsome prince breaks the spell by making out with her corpse thus reanimating her."

First amusing thing you've ever said.
#12 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

Iron Giant was pretty sad, I've never seen Bambi...

#13 Edited by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -

Fry's dog, Seymour, from Futurama. That's all that needs to be said.

#14 Posted by lamegame621 (975 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"This is what sparked this topic.
Personally, I think the list is PURE CRAP for one reason . . . The Iron Giant isn't on it. I thought the scene where the Iron Giant flies in to intercept the atomic bomb was incredibly sad. I still tear up when I see it. It's also the exact moment that made me realize that The Iron Giant is one of the best movies ever made.

Yours?
"
Dude, that is a great movie.
#15 Posted by Kazona (3054 posts) -

I'd have to say Iron Giant as well.

#16 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"Fry's dog, Seymour, from Futurama. That's all that needs to be said."
Yes, I was initially going to say Ed leaving the crew on Cowboy Bebop, but Seymour from Futurama does seem to edge it out. On the topic of Futurama and sad stories, there is also Fry's brother naming his only son Fry, and Fox's serious finale of Fry trying one last time to get leela by learning the holophone. Ok that last one was more of a general touching moment.
#17 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

Iron Giant almost made me cry, such a beautiful movie

#18 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

Finding Nemo...the movie starts off with the Mother/Wife being killed along with a few hundred babies, only leaving a physically handicapped kid and a neurotic father.

#19 Posted by TeflonBilly (4722 posts) -

Grave Of The Fireflys you uncultured swine!

#20 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"Fry's dog, Seymour, from Futurama. That's all that needs to be said."
Oh Christ. Any time I turn over and that episode is on, I turn off right away. Nothing more embarrassing than being caught unawares by a touching moment. WALL-E definitely needs a place in this list too.
#21 Posted by TeflonBilly (4722 posts) -

To expound a bit, I thought Seymour on Futurama was heartbreaking. That show had some real layers and heart.
Optimus Prime dying in Transformers the movie killed me when I was a kid. "Prime! You can't die!"

#22 Posted by PremierOctopus (145 posts) -

Lilo and stitch.

When Stitch was going to leave Lilo it was sad. I didn't want him to leave. They were family, and if stitch went back he would have to go to jail. Oh man. I feel for you stitch.

But it all worked out in the end.
#23 Posted by get2sammyb (6413 posts) -

THE DEATH OF OPTIMUS PRIME.

Crushing.

#24 Posted by PremierOctopus (145 posts) -

Yeah, when Optimus Prime died, WHAT THE HELL? He couldn't die.

He just couldn't.
#25 Posted by Gameboi (653 posts) -

The death of Superman. He sacrificed himself to defend the entire Earth from Doomsday.  Not a small feat for some guy who isn't even from this planet.

#26 Posted by MattyFTM (14238 posts) -
TeflonBilly said:
"Grave Of The Fireflys you uncultured swine!"
Yep. I cry every time I see Grave of the fireflies.
#27 Posted by TekZero (2638 posts) -

Futurama.  Where Fry's dog waits for him on the street for the rest of his life.  And right before that, Fry considered cloning him back to life but says..."He probably had a rich full life without me..."

Damn that still makes me weep.

#28 Posted by weaponxxx (1 posts) -

Oh my god the first ten minutes of Up was the most soul crushing thing I've seen in a long time.

#29 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

who knew courage the cowardly dog could be that depressing
#30 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -
@weaponxxx said:
" Oh my god the first ten minutes of Up was the most soul crushing thing I've seen in a long time. "
Why this hasn't been said sooner baffles me. I'm a total hardass (a prick) when it comes to films but this was really sad.

Also the end of Toy Story 3.
#31 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" TeflonBilly said:
Yep. I cry every time I see Grave of the fireflies. "
This is the correct answer. How many other animated movies *SPOILER TABS AREN'T WORKING FOR SOME REASON* end with the main characters... who are young children based on real people... starving to death in each other's arms? 

#32 Posted by seitanic (99 posts) -

The first ten minutes of Up made me want eat a fucking bullet.

#33 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -
@GilbertMordinAndSullivan said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" TeflonBilly said:
Yep. I cry every time I see Grave of the fireflies. "
This is the correct answer. How many other animated movies *SPOILER TABS AREN'T WORKING FOR SOME REASON* end with the main characters... who are young children based on real people... starving to death in each other's arms?   "
I think an episode of The Magic Roundabout ended like that. I could be wrong though.
#34 Posted by ESREVER (2574 posts) -
@bjorno said:
" that episode of pokemon where pikachu almost left ash for a bunch of other pussy pikachus. "
Yep, that one and the episode where Ash let his Butterfree go. 

A couple episodes from Code Geass R2 made me tear up. 

In Angel Beats!: 

Nearly every story arc in Clannad where they reveal a character's past made me cry. 
 Essentially every episode after number 18 in season two of Clannad had me bawling uncontrollably. 

There are more examples, but these are the most prominent in my mind at the moment.

#35 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Grave of the fireflys is the most crushing film animation ever.

#36 Posted by DarkGamerOO7 (574 posts) -

Even though this isn't legit, it still makes you tear up a bit...:*(
#37 Posted by DarkGamerOO7 (574 posts) -

Also don't forget Up and Toy Stor.....*starts crying* MY CHILDHOOD! *crys*

#38 Posted by AnAmericanPatriot (141 posts) -

TOY STORY 3 has two CRAZY SAD endings. The fake-out WHERE THE Bear was all "Where is your kid (i.e. God) now?" and then THEY ALL HELD hands before the FIERY INFERNO of fucking TOY hell! For a second I THOUGH THAT'S where it was GONNA END, and Disney was totally MOMENTS AWAY from being both incredibly ballsy AND DESTROYING millions of CHILDHOODS.  

Then it turned out to BE FAKE AND THEY HAD the real ending which WAS PRETTY SAD, but still. 

@DarkGamerOO7:
Also the REAL ENDING to Calvin and Hobbes IS ONE OF the most FUCKIN BEAUTIFUL things ever conceived. So AMAZINGLY bittersweet.

#39 Posted by ajamafalous (11590 posts) -

#40 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

Fuck. I had forgotten the ending of Iron Giant. Damn you! I was planning on seeing it again. Spoiler alert please, god.

Lion King. 'nuff said.

#41 Posted by ch3burashka (4900 posts) -

I didn't not feel sad for Iron Giant, but I did love that movie. 

For me, the beginning of Grave of the Fireflies, in retrospect, is sad as fuck.

#42 Posted by Lukaz (181 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @weaponxxx said:
" Oh my god the first ten minutes of Up was the most soul crushing thing I've seen in a long time. "
Why this hasn't been said sooner baffles me. I'm a total hardass (a prick) when it comes to films but this was really sad. Also the end of Toy Story 3. "
Pretty much any Pixar film has at least one sad moment. For me, though, the most powerful and heavy moments were in the final 15 minutes of Toy Story 3. I force myself to not cry in movies, but the end of Toy Story 3 almost pushed me of that edge. Damn, that was, and continues to be, a great work of art.
#43 Posted by MikeinSC (889 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac said:
" This is what sparked this topic.

Yours?
"
When I was a kid, some stuff hit me hard. Recently? I can't think of any. I can appreciate the emotional attempts...it's just that animation makes it hard to really lose yourself. Suspension of disbelief is hard to keep.
#44 Posted by Raven10 (1582 posts) -

Haven't seen Iron Giant, but Grave of the Fireflies is the obvious answer. Also, the Disney short The Little Matchstick Girl. I was in tears at the end of that short.

#45 Posted by KingPossum (236 posts) -

Grave of the Fireflies messed me up for a number of years.

#46 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2826 posts) -

The Fox and the Hound... SO SAD.

#47 Posted by Gabriel (4050 posts) -

This was shocking to me as a kid. 

#48 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -
@Bulldog19892 said:
" Fry's dog, Seymour, from Futurama. That's all that needs to be said. "

#49 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

Blanky crying during The Brave Little Toaster, THE SADDEST.

#50 Edited by SomeGuy890 (122 posts) -
@DarkGamerOO7:
I am so Goddamn depressed now... 

But yeah, as people have said, the first ten minutes of Up were brutal.