• 185 results
#1 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

I have never felt more depressed and shocked and sad after a film as I did with Mulholland Dr. I am making a copy for my friend right now and just going through the scenes is utterly gut-wrenching, it's one of those movies that changes after you have seen it once. I've never had this happen in a movie before, where I actually feel terrible and sad for a character. 

Naomi Watt's performance in this film is incredible. She really made me get into her character. Definitely her best work. 

I also cried at the end of Brokeback Mountain... my god that was sad.  

Strangely, they both involve homosexual relationships :S

#2 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Everyone knows Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) is the saddest movie ever made.

It is devastatingly sad.
#3 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

Probably Grave of the Fireflies, which coincidentally is on TV right now. 

#4 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" Everyone knows Hotaru no haka is the saddest movie ever made.

It is devastatingly sad. "
I agree with this. Also felt the same way watching "Casualties of War"
#5 Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -
#6 Posted by spaded (169 posts) -

tbh i think grave of the fireflies is one of the saddest films ever , i do photography and video production with media as well, so i have seen MANY films. i think is the film that brought me to tears with such intensity 

#7 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I've never seen a sad movie I guess, depressing at the most but not sad.  I'll try and watch Hotaru no haka because it must have some good characters to make a person sad.  So hard to find those kinds of movies though!

#8 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

I like watching sad movies. Never seen Grave of the Fireflies, and i never will.  

I just watched a movie called Everybody's Fine and it was pretty sad but really good. It's got DiNero, Barrymore, Beckinsale and some other really good actors in it.

#9 Posted by qwicksilver (41 posts) -

Requiem for a Dream still makes me feel dead inside.

#10 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@qwicksilver said:
" Requiem for a Dream still makes me feel dead inside. "
you beat me to it
#11 Posted by yorro (558 posts) -

+1 For Grave of the Fireflies. 

#12 Posted by Aquablak (187 posts) -

House of Sand and Fog.

#13 Posted by Evilsbane (4542 posts) -

This Grave of the Fireflies sounds pretty harsh...

#14 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

Green Mile.  
I don't think I've ever cried over any media but the ending of Green Mile atleast made be feel real sorrow for the death of a good guy.

#15 Posted by gamefreak9 (2344 posts) -

Any uwe Boll movie... they are all soo sad... in fact, some of them almost drove me to suicide... oh god... i cant even think about them. Just... watch them if you want to cry... weep for humanity my friends...

#16 Posted by RiddleBrother (511 posts) -

#17 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

Oasis probably. This Korean film that made me feel so uncomfortable, then happy, then super uncomfortable again going through it. Kinda amazing though.

5 Centimetres Per Second
The Wrestler
The Sea Inside
Riding Alone For Thousands of Miles

#18 Posted by Tennmuerti (8010 posts) -

I find movies that are deliberately sad just plain boring and they always fail to evoke feeling.
The old Spartacus movie, I cried at the end. Maybe it's because I was young when I watched it tho.

#19 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
" @qwicksilver said:
" Requiem for a Dream still makes me feel dead inside. "
you beat me to it "
Yeah but that movie wasn't sad it was just shocking, and had a great musical score.
#20 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -

This is.
#21 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Titanic and The Wrestler are two that immediately come to mind. Moon had its moments as well.

#22 Edited by Kombat (2205 posts) -

Bridge to Terabithia put me in a deep depression for over a month, mostly because it provided the opposite outcome to a scenario I've experienced in my own life with regard to the woman I'm now engaged to.  Very much not something I ever wanted to think about again.  That being said, I love the movie.

#23 Posted by qwicksilver (41 posts) -
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
"Yeah but that movie wasn't sad it was just shocking, and had a great musical score. "
It was depressing to me.  It's not necessarily a "cry myself to sleep" kind of sad.  It's the kind of sad that makes you lose hope in humanity.
#24 Posted by Fabcai (57 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" Everyone knows Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) is the saddest movie ever made.

It is devastatingly sad. "
I've watched this movie like 3 tiems.
#25 Posted by Yummylee (21287 posts) -

He Was A Quiet Man made my stomach twist a little =(. Artificial Intellgience had its moments too.
#26 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -

American Beauty was the first, and only, movie to bring me to the edge of tears

#27 Posted by Jazz_Fan (27 posts) -

Cries and Whispers
Winter Light
The Silence
Spoorloos
Salo, or 120 Days of Sodom
The Elephant Man
Raise the Red Lantern
Come and See
all amazing films.

#28 Posted by Interfect (978 posts) -

MGS4. That was pretty sad at times.

#29 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -
Definitely Mullholand Drive. I've seen it at least 5 times it always haunts me for a few days afterwards. The most I've ever been moved to tears, though, was by United 93. The dread of watching all those people climb aboard a plane I knew was going to kill them was almost too much to bear. 

And, it's not a movie, The Wire usually has a moment in every episode so overwhelmingly sad I start to tear up. 
#30 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

Grave of the Fireflies had me choke up at the end, it's just a massive downer.

Titanic in itself doesn't necessarily do anything for me, but that celine dion song and thinking about the film definently wets my eyes every now and again (i'm a massive pussy, as you clearly read).

Now, this didn't have me crying at the end, but it might aswell have, it had me depressed for a good few hours after watching the film -

#31 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@Kombat said:
" Bridge to Terabithia put me in a deep depression for over a month, mostly because it provided the opposite outcome to a scenario I've experienced in my own life with regard to the woman I'm now engaged to.  Very much not something I ever wanted to think about again.  That being said, I love the movie. "
I thought it was the only one...I was watching it with a friend and we were making dicks jokes at the end to hide our grief 
#32 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

I don't know.  I'm so girly when it comes to movies.  I tear up all the time.   

It's weird though, I never cry during sad scenes, just happy ones.  

#33 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

American History X was a real downer, but Mystic River wins this award.

#34 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Pans labyrinth was pretty sad

#35 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -

The pursuit of happiness. Will Smith gives a sterling performance.

#36 Posted by fraser (478 posts) -

Dancer In The Dark anyone?

Tbh the things that are the most moving are always the bittersweet endings, like The Life Aquatic, Chungking Express, or Eternal Sunshine or something.

#37 Posted by PartTimeNinja (344 posts) -

Grave of the Fireflies.

#38 Posted by Kr3lian (310 posts) -

No movie is more sad than Grave of the Fireflies.  Up has a really nice part that brought me to tears, but that was as much from how the story was told (through beautiful montage) as the actual story.

#39 Posted by Toxin066 (3256 posts) -

Old Yeller gets me every time. Forest Gump and Cast Away are up there for me.

#40 Posted by churrific (475 posts) -

teenage mutant ninja turtles 1. when splinter got kidnapped by shredder, the turtles were praying over a campfire. splinter appeared to them in a vision, and said, "i love you my sons. doo the right thing." i bawled. i was like 5, but still.

#41 Posted by PenguinDust (12454 posts) -
I'd don't know if it's the saddest movie I've ever seen, but it is among the most touching.  I strongly urge anyone looking for a rich unsentimental look at friendship to see 1998's The Mighty starring Elden Henson and Keiran Culkin in the lead roles.  TRAILER

@Kombat:  I loved The Bridge to Tarabithia, too.  Because of the trailers I was expecting something much different, and was pleasantly surprised.

Other good ones are 
  1. What Dreams May Come - Robin Williams lost his wife then dies himself.
  2. Pay it Forward.  This one is rather heavy handed, but still touching I think.
  3. Life is Beautiful - Family love amid the desperation of a Nazi concentration camp
  4. Philadelphia - AIDS victim Hanks deals with the disease and isolation by his peers
  5. The Best Years of Our Lives - Coming home from the 2nd World War was not all parades.
  6. Glory - the tragic futility of war questions all noble deeds. 
  7. I Am Legend - dude..."Sam".
  8. Penny Serenade - An older sloppy sentimental tearjerker starring Cary Grant & Irene Dunn
  9. Watership Down - I mention this animated film because it is too often overlooked
#42 Posted by Marmaladebrat (298 posts) -
#43 Posted by MattyFTM (14348 posts) -

Totally agree with everyone who said Grave of the Fireflies. The first time I watched it was with a bunch of my friends, and we were all crying at the end.

#44 Posted by Brians (1458 posts) -

Movie I know I shouldn't see a second time because I felt really sad watching it 2006 movie set during the Irish Civil War and War for Independence Called "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" very good, very sad movie

#45 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

Blood Diamond, I had a tear in my eye in some parts. 

Also Top Gun. So sad when they are prancing around the beach playing volleyball whilst they are all shirtless and sweaty.

#46 Posted by TMThomsen (2070 posts) -

Requiem for a Dream

#47 Posted by BraveFart (298 posts) -

Titanic.

When DiCaprio drowns (muhahahaha) and his girlfriend realises she's never gonna make love to him ever again. :( muhahahaha

#48 Posted by DJL (202 posts) -

Damn, now I want to see this grave of the fireflies... 

BUt I guess for me, the saddest are Schindler's List, Hotel Rwanda, and Up. Movies that get me pretty watery-eyed.

#49 Posted by blackbird415 (777 posts) -
#50 Posted by Laharl (350 posts) -

Old yeller

Admit it, a dog dying is much sadder than a human dying.