#1 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

With my tax return either this week or next, I'm going to get a portable basketball hoop with a 31 gallon base. I first thought to use sand to fill the base but the FAQ for the hoop says the base will expand if any water inside freezes. Using water would save me around $25-30 and a backache. I've never owned a portable hoop so I'm just looking for advice from those who have or have knowledge about them, thanks.

#2 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7079 posts) -

I would guess sand because it won't shift as much. That's just what I would guess anyway.

#3 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre said:
I would guess sand because it won't shift as much. That's just what I would guess anyway.
Sounds logical. I've used ones with water before and when it swings forward, and the water collects in the front, it'll just make it easier to tip over, thus ruining it
#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Use sand.

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

Well if you live where the water won't freeze and you want to be able to take this thing around, water's easier to drain.

But the sand is better in almost every other way.

#6 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Gold. Gotta hide your investment somewhere.

#7 Edited by sparks50 (373 posts) -

I have no experience with portable hoops, but a little radiator antifreeze or similar would solve your freezing problem.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Fill it with alcohol. It will not freeze.