Sausage Party (the movie) and actually how crazy good it is

coolguy0127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I watched the movie Sausage Party (and to anybody who doesn't know what this movie is go watch one trailer and nothing else). The first thing I would like to say is that this movie IS A HARD R. I don't know how they got some of the stuff into this movie and kept their R rating. Now the crazy thing about this movie is other than the HEAVY sexual undertones throughout the entire movie (to the point where they are overtones) there is a surprising amount of cultural, religious, and political references to the point where I was actually surprised how much they referenced to the quick Nazi references to the point of bringing up the struggle for Israel (all using food and aisles instead of people and land). Even every sentient food is thought of very well of how it made and the country of origin to the Mexican tequila and taco shell to the american hot dog and buns. I would mention more but I think it would be spoiling some actual very good laughs. This movie was surprising in its concept before I saw it but as every new scene started they went farther with the concept then I could have expected get out the door in Hollywood. It might be one of my favorite movies of all time. Just wanted to share this hoping more people will go see this. (But be prepared even though this looks like a Pixar movie (you can see the inspiration) do not take your kid or anybody who would not like a raunchy R rated movie)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was kind of bad.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Between this and the thread saying how "surprisingly good" Suicide Squad is I'm really confused and wary of the Giant Bomb community's taste in movies.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MezZa

When my friends and I saw the trailer we decided we'd redbox it if we were curious. Good to hear it might be worth a rental at least.

@blackout62: To be fair the average person isn't a super critic. People tend to be pretty casual in their opinion about a movie. Some people just like to have fun with a movie. I actually see the community here lean more towards the side of the critics and a more serious movie analysis style than I see in every day life.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By flatblack

Movie is great if you are fifteen years old and on weed

coolguy0127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I agree that the movie seems like that on the surface and I agree that they lean into it a bit much (playing to their supposed audience) but what really surprised me was all the undertones of the movie and how it was unexpected on how far it went with its premise which you will understand when/if you see it. I'm not saying the movie doesn't have problems and might not be as good the second time but I think its worth watching again to look at all the little background things. I noticed so much in just the theater. Just like movies like this ilk they very much talk about getting high and baked which gets a little much but it is really the other story which is actually much bigger than the bit of weed jokes in the movie.

Btw I did have problems with Suicide Squad as well but still thought it was worth seeing (and this from a fan of the comics) I thought they did well from how dreary the other DC movies have been at least.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read that most of the visual effects people weren't paid for their overtime and weren't credited for the movie. Not only that, the director or someone high up in the movie process was bragging about how cheap it was to make this movie.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@blackout62 said:

Between this and the thread saying how "surprisingly good" Suicide Squad is I'm really confused and wary of the Giant Bomb community's taste in movies.

Did you actually see both of them? I'm interested to see Sausage Party, mostly to see if they could out-raunch The Brothers Grimsby. I'm not so sure that anything could. While that was a very funny movie at times, parts of it were FAR too much for me.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Blackout62
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac said:
@blackout62 said:

Did you actually see both of them?

The threads or the movies?

The movies, of course.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By shivermetimbers

To me it looks like a bunch of raunchy humor filled with racial stereotypes, sophomoric sexual innuendos, and stuff meant to offend certain groups of people. There is potential for an adult movie satirizing Pixar films, but I don't think this film would do it for me.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Haven't thought a Seth Rogan movie was genuinely funny since Pineapple Express. Doesn't look like this is any better than something like The Interview.

It is funny to see people latch on to the animation woes of this movie, though, and tout that as a unique reason they won't go and see it. Any movie with significant CGI, animated or otherwise, is a complete miserable fucking shitshow for animators. I'm glad people are starting to hear stories (the last big uproar being Life of Pi), but if you're not going to see this movie on those grounds, then don't see any movie ever. That side of the industry is appalling.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I'm surprised it's not complete dogshit I guess, but it makes it sadder when I read the labour exploitation stories that came out of that studio.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen it twice so far and love it. I didn't expect it to be the movie that it is so that was surprising. It's my second favorite movie of the year so far behind Deadpool.

On another note, the people in this thread who are worried about other people's taste in movies and saying this movie is for pothead teens need to relax. It's a stupid movie and I'm sure you guys enjoy your fair share of stupid shit. For example, you're on Giantbomb. This sites main draw is guys who talk and do stupid shit.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I saw Seth Rogen's interview on Any Given Wednesday and it was the first I'd heard of it. My girlfriend and I both thought the clip they showed (from the very beginning, with the hot dogs talking about getting into buns) was clever, cute and hoped the rest of the movie would be that (with a food orgy). Unfortunately most of the movie was decidedly unclever. I'm surprised so many reviews found the takes on religion to be so subversive, I thought they were pretty threadbare and surface level. The plotting was also very indebted to the script; characters were constantly showing up and disappearing just because they were or weren't in the scenes; in particular I was bothered by how much of a Kanye shrug the climax was. I was also surprised that the food orgy took the easiest way out and just had the food doing human sex stuff, right down to a loaf of bread mentioning how empty its balls were (or whatever the joke was).

I expected more from the movie and ended up really disappointed with it. I also ultimately found it hard to reconcile how much the food was moving around and talking to each other in plain sight of the humans; I hadn't seen any trailers and figured they'd be stationary the entire time and it'd be a very dialogue driven movie. Toy Story had the perfect set up for animating inanimate objects, this just felt lazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate everything Seth Rogen so no thank you, but hey the people this movie is for like it so good for them!

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I was actually pretty disappointed in this movie. I definitely enjoyed it, and there are some truly clever and hilarious moments, just not enough of them. Despite the short running time of the film, they still didn't manage to write enough jokes to fill it out. There was a lot of fairly standard dialogue with a ton of profanity for the sake of profanity, rather than actually writing anything honestly funny around it. I still thought many of the characters were fantastic, as was the voice acting that fueled them, it's just a shame they didn't have a ton to work with.

The ending with the set-up for the sequel has me excited, though. There's a lot of potential with that concept.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It was better than I expected. There's still some lazy Rogen humor in there but overall I thought it was OK with a good, funny ending. Orgy scene was funny as fuck.