• 130 results
#1 Posted by TheQuotedNegro (36 posts) -

*SPOILERS WELCOME*

lots of violence. disjointed plot. Over indulgent dialogue. Ran an hour too long. And I couldn't tell if D'jango was just written poorly or if Jamie Foxx was just playing a terrible slave...

If you want to see a western movie that stars a great black lead character that is strong, smart, likable, looks racism and hate in the face without flinching, a movie with a great plot, great soundtrack, fantastic supporting cast, interesting love story, and if you're not offended with the use of the word nigger....Go see Blazing Saddles. I think its on netflix. There, I just saved you 14 bucks.

or not...*shrug* what can i say.

#2 Posted by takeshikitano3 (56 posts) -

Oh I loved the movie. I'm a fan of Tarantino, and of westerns, and the two mixed quite well for me. He is horrible as an actor and I'm not a fan of his cameos, but at least his cameo ends rather explosively.

#3 Posted by zombie2011 (5037 posts) -

@TheQuotedNegro said:

If you want to see a western movie that stars a great black lead character that is strong, smart, likable, looks racism and hate in the face without flinching, a movie with a great plot, great soundtrack, fantastic supporting cast, interesting love story....Go see Wild Wild West. I think its on netflix. There, I just saved you 14 bucks.

Spike Lee, is that you?

#4 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

The movie has pacing issues but saying it goes on an hour too long is a stretch, I thought at most twenty minutes. For being a long movie it never really drags.

#5 Posted by darkvare (777 posts) -

who pays 14 bucks to go to the movies

#6 Posted by Pr1mus (3959 posts) -

Django Unchained is the greatest movie of all time, OF ALL TIME... among movies i saw in the last 3 weeks and one of the best this year.

#7 Edited by DizzyMedal (400 posts) -

Blazing Saddles doesn't have an interesting love story.

I agree with everything else though. (Everything Blazing Saddles related, that is. I have not seen the other movie yet.)

#8 Posted by JOSHardson (79 posts) -

@Pr1mus said:

Django Unchained is the greatest movie of all time, OF ALL TIME... among movies i saw in the last 3 weeks and one of the best this year.

This^

I thought it was great. I'm a huge fan of Tarantino, though. It's perfectly ridiculous.

#9 Edited by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

youre the only person ive met that didnt like it. its getting insane good reviews and everyone i know loved it. i cant wait to see it. if you dont like tarantino movies then why go watch it.

also, you comparing a mel brooks comedy with a tarantino action flick is stupid.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@JOSHardson

@Pr1mus said:

This^

I thought it was great. I'm a huge fan of Tarantino, though. It's perfectly ridiculous.

Agreed on all points. It's a Tarantino movie. You gotta know what you're going to see before you see it.
#11 Posted by gaminghooligan (1478 posts) -

wait... you just compared a Mel Brooks comedy to a modern take on spaghetti westerns/ western action? Also I thought it looked racism in the face. I mean, as a white guy I was cheering kill those cracker bastards through most of the movie. Also I thought the cast did great. Not my favorite movie this year but still one I want to own.

#12 Edited by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

@TheQuotedNegro said:

*SPOILERS WELCOME*

lots of violence. disjointed plot. Over indulgent dialogue. Ran an hour too long. And I couldn't tell if D'jango was just written poorly or if Jamie Foxx was just playing a terrible slave...

If you want to see a western movie that stars a great black lead character that is strong, smart, likable, looks racism and hate in the face without flinching, a movie with a great plot, great soundtrack, fantastic supporting cast, interesting love story, and if you're not offended with the use of the word nigger....Go see Blazing Saddles. I think its on netflix. There, I just saved you 14 bucks.

I agree with every point you maid in that first line. I've never seen blazing saddles so I can't really agree with that. The violence was cool though. Not many funny parts at all. Leonardo Dicaprio killed it on screen, best character, best lines and possibly the best part of the movie. Jamie Foxx was cool too, as well as the German lead, but Leo was the Heath Ledger of D'Jango.

#13 Edited by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

@darkvare said:

An adult in North America watching a non-Imax, non-3D movie without snacks during the afternoon or evening.

#14 Posted by Tharrington (145 posts) -

@Ducksworth: Well that's strange as I forgot my College ID and had to pay full price for my ticket, it cost me a whopping $7.25.

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

@Tharrington said:

@Ducksworth: Well that's strange as I forgot my College ID and had to pay full price for my ticket, it cost me a whopping $7.25.

I went to the 6:30 show on Christmas day and paid $5. Weird.

#16 Posted by s10129107 (1193 posts) -

People seem to either love this movie or hate it. Either way i'm excited to see it.

#17 Posted by BelligerentEngine (348 posts) -

White people saying a black man is bad at portraying black people?

#18 Posted by Geo4690 (27 posts) -

Sorry you have shit taste.

Django was...off the chain.

#19 Posted by JeanLuc (3605 posts) -

@s10129107 said:

People seem to either love this movie or hate it. Either way i'm excited to see it.

That's really par for the course with most Tarantino movies. If nothing else, the guy makes an impact.

#20 Posted by UlquioKani (1169 posts) -

@thabigred said:

The movie has pacing issues but saying it goes on an hour too long is a stretch, I thought at most twenty minutes. For being a long movie it never really drags.

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/284870483898404865

"Yes, Django has pacing issues and runs maybe 25 minutes too long, but it only rarely truly drags."

Alex, Why do need an alternative account?

#21 Posted by BaneFireLord (2967 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

also, you comparing a mel brooks comedy with a tarantino action flick is stupid.

I dunno...there were quite a few sequences that definitely had a very Blazing Saddles feel to them. The KKK bit and the scene with the sheriff would not have been out of place in a Brooks film.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

@tunaburn said:

I dunno...there were quite a few sequences that definitely had a very Blazing Saddles feel to them. The KKK bit and the scene with the sheriff would not have been out of place in a Brooks film.

Yeah, Django Unchained is not a Mel Brooks comedy by any stretch, but it's not difficult to see the bits that would fit snugly in Blazing Saddles (which despite its age is still fucking hilarious, by the way).

#23 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@Geo4690

Sorry you have shit taste.

Django was...off the chain.

Oh god. See yourself out, sir
#24 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

@UlquioKani said:

@thabigred said:

"Yes, Django has pacing issues and runs maybe 25 minutes too long, but it only rarely truly drags."

I'm not Alex and I follow him on twitter, although I didn't see that tweet! I guess I agree completely with what he said.

#25 Posted by TheGoatMan1 (30 posts) -

I enjoyed it. I am a QT fan, but not to the point that I instantly like everything he does(I don't like his grindhouse movie, for instance). Despite the movies length, I never wished it would go faster. The dialogue was top notch,the action was exciting, and as per usual with QT, the soundtrack fit the movie perfectly.

An interesting side not on the soundtrack: I thought the song by rick ross during the end shootout was awesome, but then when I found it on youtube at home later, it wasn't as good. My theory is that the scene actually made that song better than it is.

#26 Posted by ChristianConservativeVinny (95 posts) -

@thabigred said:

@UlquioKani said:

@thabigred said:

I'm not Alex and I follow him on twitter, although I didn't see that tweet! I guess I agree completely with what he said.

Post a picture of yourself holding your username on a sheet of paper or I will be forced to conclude that you are Alex Navarro.

#27 Posted by TheGoatMan1 (30 posts) -

@TheQuotedNegro: Just going off the title of this thread: Did you think that this movie really had a "lighthearted" view of slavery? I thought it did an excellent job of highlighting the absurdity of it (The scene where the slave girl was confused about how to treat Django), and the brutality of it.(Many scenes, byt specifically the dog scenes at "Candie-Land".)

#28 Posted by darkvare (777 posts) -

@Ducksworth: wow now i get why my friends in the us complain about the prices

#29 Posted by TheGoatMan1 (30 posts) -

The key is to go to the Matinee showings. I only paid $7 for my ticket. The other key is to bring your own snacks.

#30 Edited by jsnyder82 (762 posts) -

@Ducksworth said:

@darkvare said:

An adult in North America watching a non-Imax, non-3D movie without snacks during the afternoon or evening.

Not even close. The most I've ever payed for a single ticket is $10. And I bring in my own snacks. Nobody seems to enforce that rule anymore.

#31 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

@TheQuotedNegro said:

*SPOILERS WELCOME*

Or you could just enjoy a good movie and not act like a pretentious prick.

#32 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

A movie that introduced and harvested the desire for me to see two of my favourite actors die a horrible death.....  Thats a good movie in my books

#33 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1218 posts) -

@TheQuotedNegro said:

*SPOILERS WELCOME*

I haven't seen the movie so I can't say I agree with your opinion, I just came here to quote you.

#34 Posted by YoThatLimp (1933 posts) -

@TheGoatMan1 said:

I enjoyed it. I am a QT fan, but not to the point that I instantly like everything he does(I don't like his grindhouse movie, for instance). Despite the movies length, I never wished it would go faster. The dialogue was top notch,the action was exciting, and as per usual with QT, the soundtrack fit the movie perfectly.

An interesting side not on the soundtrack: I thought the song by rick ross during the end shootout was awesome, but then when I found it on youtube at home later, it wasn't as good. My theory is that the scene actually made that song better than it is.

"Hercules? More like NIggerles"

Great dialogue.

Me and my wife also thought the last 20 minutes or so dragged on. The clear "end" of the movie should have been at the standoff. We thought The Hobbit was amazing and Django Unchained was pretty meh, so the complete opposite of everyone else it seems.

#35 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

I think it's supposed to be somewhat distasteful in order to make you actually upset when horrible things happen

#36 Posted by Empirepaintball (1397 posts) -

Django is my favorite movie of 2012.

Also, you spelled Django like D'jango. He's not Italian. Your point is invalid.

#37 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

@TheQuotedNegro said:

*SPOILERS WELCOME*

Sounds like a Quentin Tarantino movie to me. He seems to be riding off of past hype to make these films, Inglorious Bastards was fucking awful and it also ran an hour too long. More power to the people who like his movies, I just think he's more interested in his ideas than he is making them actually appealing to an audience. Concepts are great, how you convey them in a movie is completely different. I won't be going to see it, I've got no love for him, I just feel like he's so full of himself, and has so many of the mainstream 'artsy' critics on his side, that his movies get far, far too much hype for what they are...and ultraviolent, uncompromising look into something that needs a more delicate touch than he can offer.

#38 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

@ChristianConservativeVinny said:

@thabigred said:

@UlquioKani said:

@thabigred said:

Post a picture of yourself holding your username on a sheet of paper or I will be forced to conclude that you are Alex Navarro.

Now I'm going back to mark of the ninja

#39 Edited by TheGoatMan1 (30 posts) -

@YoThatLimp: The point of that exchange was to further illustrate that "stephen" is an ass kisser, and a "house slave" who has more loyalty to his cruel master than to the fellow human beings that said master is brutalizing. I would not label it as "great dialog" either, but why you chose to highlight that one instance, and not any of King shultz great dialog is interesting.

#40 Posted by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

@Gregomasta: D'jango aside, you should see Blazing Saddles, very well written comedy/western from Mel Brooks & highly recommended for people to see all the pop culture stuff that came out of that film.

#41 Posted by TheQuotedNegro (36 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

@TheQuotedNegro said:

If you want to see a western movie that stars a great black lead character that is strong, smart, likable, looks racism and hate in the face without flinching, a movie with a great plot, great soundtrack, fantastic supporting cast, interesting love story....Go see Wild Wild West. I think its on netflix. There, I just saved you 14 bucks.

Spike Lee, is that you?

Nope.

#42 Posted by TheQuotedNegro (36 posts) -

@thabigred said:

I think the whole dinner scene dragged on. The homage in the middle where they were wandering through the winter went too long. The KKK scene was unnecessary to the plot(though funny as hell). Their weer a lot of scenes that weren't needed in that movie that just felt like filler.

#43 Posted by UlquioKani (1169 posts) -

@thabigred said:

@ChristianConservativeVinny said:

@thabigred said:

@UlquioKani said:

@thabigred said:

Now I'm going back to mark of the ninja

You're pretty good at covering your tracks Alex.

#44 Posted by TheQuotedNegro (36 posts) -

@TheGoatMan1 said:

@TheQuotedNegro: Just going off the title of this thread: Did you think that this movie really had a "lighthearted" view of slavery? I thought it did an excellent job of highlighting the absurdity of it (The scene where the slave girl was confused about how to treat Django), and the brutality of it.(Many scenes, byt specifically the dog scenes at "Candie-Land".)

Tarentino couldn't decide how to come at slavery in that movie. There were slaves with lipstick on and having tea and swinging on lovely swing sets right next to the woman getting whipped for dropping eggs. I don't think you're allowed to be on a swing set in a place where you'd get whipped for dropping eggs. I think we're all logical to agree on that right?

Slavery is a tricky subject to address, because in america there are people who are still very close to it. My grandmother has a photo of her and her grandmother who was a child when slaves were freed. But I also realize that there are a great number of people who don't care about slavery, or who are so far removed from it that they don't really connect or want to connect with it. So its a tricky thing. But it has to be handle with a certain respect or reverence that I don't think it got. There were two spots where it did a great job(Jangobegging for his wife, and the R being put on her check) other than that I thought it was handled very blah.

#45 Posted by TheQuotedNegro (36 posts) -

@Rohok said:

@TheQuotedNegro said:

*SPOILERS WELCOME*

It kinda makes me proud that suggesting that people see Blazing Saddles instead makes me pretentious. so thank you i guess :)

#46 Posted by TruthTellah (9429 posts) -

@TheQuotedNegro said:

@Rohok said:

@TheQuotedNegro said:

*SPOILERS WELCOME*

It kinda makes me proud that suggesting that people see Blazing Saddles instead makes me pretentious. so thank you i guess :)

While I agree that there is little pretentious about the movie classic Blazing Saddles, I think they were referring to your pretentious prick tone ripping a movie they may or may not have enjoyed.

#47 Edited by EXTomar (4922 posts) -

I am confused by the sentiment "We have to handle X with respect" and then not want to talk about it. I don't think Django was made to make anyone feel guilty but like Inglorious Bastards it is a revenge story using real world "evil" as the enemy and I don't see anything wrong with that in IB so why can't Django use it as well?

Don't believe the point to Django is to make anyone feel guilty about slavery but instead to create a situation where you can revel in Django The Hero getting revenge.

#48 Posted by TheQuotedNegro (36 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@TheQuotedNegro said:

@Rohok said:

@TheQuotedNegro said:

*SPOILERS WELCOME*

While I agree that there is little pretentious about the movie classic Blazing Saddles, I think they were referring to your pretentious prick tone ripping a movie they may or may not have enjoyed.

Ah ok. So having a differing opinion makes me a pretentious prick. Well, thats cool too.

#49 Posted by TheQuotedNegro (36 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

I am confused by the sentiment "We have to handle X with respect" and then not want to talk about it. I don't think Django was made to make anyone feel guilty but like Inglorious Bastards it is a revenge story using real world "evil" as the enemy and I don't see anything wrong with that in IB so why can't Django use it as well?

Don't believe the point to Django is to make anyone feel guilty about slavery but instead to create a situation where you can revel in Django The Hero getting revenge.

I never said Django couldn't use it. That's actually why i went to see it. The tone of slavery in that movie was the strange part, it looked bad to those who were trying to escape, everyone else looked like they were doing just fine.

And Django wasn't the hero of that movie Schultz was.

#50 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@darkvare said:

Average price of a ticket where I live is $10, for example