• 150 results
#101 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Im a pansy to be honest so films like the Descent scared me 

Films with Asian children (just scary children in general)  scare the poop outta my body. examples the grudge, rec

#102 Posted by Skullking (93 posts) -

Dawn of the Dead( original, not that CGI zombie baby garbage)

#103 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3141 posts) -

Paranormal Activity made me uneasy. 
So did House of the Devil.

#104 Posted by KingX (220 posts) -

The movie called "industrial civilisation" is pretty scary and based on real events :D

#105 Edited by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Honestly, the Doctor Who episode "Blink" is the closest thing humanity has gotten to creating real horror in my opinion.

Anything else is either a "BOO!" movie, gross, or both.

#106 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

I always found Silence of Lambs to be pretty disturbing. 

#107 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1406 posts) -

Heard Insiduous was pretty scary

#108 Posted by VierasTalo (741 posts) -

Watch a movie called The Entity. It's about a ghost which repeatedly rapes a woman over and over again. Very disturbing stuff.

Irreversible is also an extremely scary film, but it isn't a horror movie.

#109 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I've honestly never been truly frightened by a horror movie except for when I was a youngin', except obviously jump scares make you jump.  The only time I've ever been actually a bit affected was Rampage, the Uwe Boll movie.  Something about the way it was shot and how real and brutal the shootings seemed disturbed me.

#110 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

The only thing thats honestly scared me to the point of locking myself in my room crying in a corner was not due to a movie, but a game....Resident evil 2. Even to this day i cannot play that game in a dark room.

#111 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

One thing that did scare the shit out of me was the trailer for the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was a wee lad.  I couldn't sleep as good as I did before seeing that trailer until I was like 14.  I think I saw it when I was around 9 or 10.  Thoughts of chainsaws in movies still creeps me out... but when I see it it doesn't actually affect me.  Kinda weird. 

#112 Posted by xpxTomxqx (138 posts) -

When A Stranger Calls or The Ring. These two films terrified me when I watched them. The first because it was great for keeping suspense and the second because of Samara, who looked freaky as!

#113 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@xpxTomxqx said:
When A Stranger Calls or The Ring. These two films terrified me when I watched them. The first because it was great for keeping suspense and the second because of Samara, who looked freaky as!
I forgot about that one.. When A Stranger Calls was pretty creepy.
#114 Posted by GalacticGravy (548 posts) -

I watched "Alien Abduction: Incident at Lake County" and enjoyed it. I wouldn't say I was super scared, but I was on edge. Some of the dialogue was clunky and odd, but other times it seemed pretty genuine. I think the end was a little goofy, and those interludes actually made it seem LESS real.  

Like that lady saying that she thought it was real. Her lines were obviously read from a script. 

Anyway, it wasn't bad. When I got home form my friends house (at 3 AM) my cat ran down the stairs as I passed by and I almost shit my pants. I guess it worked.  

Also I watched another found footage movie. "Troll Hunter:"  It's not scary, but it's REALLY cool. It's subtitled form Norway but I really enjoyed it. 

#115 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@BoogieWithStu: Where did you get to see Troll Hunter?  I've been trying to find it but it's not in any theaters anyways near me.
#116 Posted by RockAction (377 posts) -

i'm too aware of horror films trying to be scary so they become a parody as you watch them 

the only film i've ever found truly frightening, in a mindfuck way, is angelheart with mickey rourke and de niro 

such a good film, and with the noir style and the setting and the crazy twist revelation at the end it just totally swept me up and was genuinely scary 

not jump scares just mindfuck scares 

the best type of scare

#117 Posted by ApocalypseWhen71 (3 posts) -

I have to add The Haunting (1963) into the mix. Not a drop of blood, hardly any jump scares, you don't even see much of any ghosts, but I remember watching that movie outside at a campsite late at night, and good god does that one get to you. The sound design in it basically makes that movie, it's brilliant and will make you wary of every single creek in your house when you watch it.

Also, not horror movies, but David Lynch is great at having some truly terrifying imagery and sound design in a lot of his movies, particularly Eraserhead, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and bits of Mulholland Drive.

#118 Edited by dilla7 (5 posts) -

Jacobs Ladder

#119 Posted by Stonyman65 (2669 posts) -

Besides the usual stuff (the Exorcist, anything J-Horror) one movie that really unnerved me was The Strangers. The first and second Halloween movies messed with me too. Something about being alone in a hospital with Michael Myers coming after you is terrifying. I haven't seen any of the Paranormal Activity movies so I can't comment on those.

I never really got scared by the typical 80's slasher flicks mostly because I always thought they were so bad (bad in a good way) that it was hard to take them seriously. I always thought the Nightmare on Elm Street movies were kind of funny, at least everything that came after the original and the first sequel.

That new Evil Dead remake looks fucking insane. I'm sure that's going to be messed up.

#120 Edited by Hailinel (24381 posts) -

Paranormal Activity, The Exorcist and The Ring.I regret deeply that i ever watched these 3 movies.

All of these.

I remember going to a special midnight screening of a re-release of The Exorcist back when I was in college. Some dipstick college girl in the row behind me was making fun of the movie and generally being a prat up until the first jump scare, at which point she screamed and didn't say another word for the rest of the film.

#121 Posted by dilla7 (5 posts) -

Videodrome

#122 Edited by TheVeteran13 (1202 posts) -

Any of the direct to DVD American Pie movies.

#123 Posted by RenegadeSaint (1539 posts) -

Paranormal Activity 1-3 are all above average fright flicks. Eden Lake is terrifying and disturbing. Wolf Creek is also quite good. Those are just a few off the top of my head.

#124 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4388 posts) -

Martyrs.

#125 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Blair Witch fucked me up when I was a kid, because I was young enough to believe it was real. Oh and that found footage Alien one for the same reasons...

#126 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@hizang said:

When I was younger I turned on my TV at 5AM in the morning, what came up was a black and White news report that told us about an alien invasion on the British sea front. As I was young I thought it was real, I wet myself, end topic!

Wait what? Was it April 1st or something?

#127 Edited by Vrikk (895 posts) -

Weird enough, I still find Signs unnerving in quite a few places.

VHS. The Grudge.

Also, the Japanese version of White Noise is really, really depressing. I think it's called Pulse?

#128 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@vrikk said:

Weird enough, I still find Signs unnerving in quite a few places.

VHS. The Grudge.

Also, the Japanese version of White Noise is really, really depressing. I think it's called Pulse?

Your right, Signs is pretty great. That VHS scene at the birthday party in Mexico really shouldn't scare anyone but some how M. Night pulls that scene off perfectly.

That movie would of been great if it wasn't for the wife telling him to "swing".

#129 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Martyrs.

nonononononononononononononono

if there was ever a movie I wish I could unwatch!

:(

#130 Posted by JJ_FIGGY (92 posts) -

Watch the Original Black Christmas(NOT BLACK XMAS). My favorite horror movie, and its the movie that paved the way for Halloween.

#131 Edited by stryker1121 (1400 posts) -

Hellraiser is an effectively disturbing horror flick. Some of the effects look cheesy now but the Cenobites always scared me- just that weird S&M fetish-wear combined with their grotesque self-mutilation. So bizarre and messed up. Doug Bradley as Pinhead is amazing. he's got that carved-out-of-stone appearance. "No tears, child..."

Otherwise, I'd go old school w/ the usual suspects like Halloween and Alien. I love THe Thing but that's more of a creature flick/thriller than pure horror. What I won't go near is stuff like Martyrs, Serbian Film or the Japanese underground gore flicks. Just no desire to sit through that kind of stuff - I do not see the value.

I can name more books that disturbed/scared me than movies - Let The Right One In (I hear the Swedish version of the movie is unnerving/disturbing), American Psycho, The Shining, Pet Semetary, The Ruins, to name a few.

EDIT- Go see REC, the Spanish version, and try to find a subtitled version not the terrible English dub.Damn good freaky little horror flick. Sequel is OK but does not have the power of the original.

#132 Edited by AkihikoSenpai (33 posts) -

The final moments of [REC] was the first time I have been unable to bring myself to look at a film.

#133 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1993 posts) -

What I won't go near is stuff like Martyrs, Serbian Film or the Japanese underground gore flicks. Just no desire to sit through that kind of stuff - I do not see the value.

I'll give you ASF - that movie is just shocking schlock - but Martyrs is a legitimately good movie. It's horrendous, awful, and disgusting but it's a good movie at it's core. It's also not nearly as perverse, and downright retarded, as ASF.

#134 Posted by Aurelito (721 posts) -

Japanese version of every American remake of Japanese neo-horror movies.

Namely The Ring and The Grudge.

#135 Edited by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

Sleepaway camp

Just the ending

#136 Edited by me3639 (1753 posts) -

The 1976 TV version of Helter Skelter is the reason my biggest fear is home invasion.

#137 Edited by RedRavN (398 posts) -

The movie "the shrine" is pretty good indie horror movie. Its up on netflix and surprisingly scary and well made. Also "audition" kind of creeped me out. Make sure you watch it past the first half because it just gets weirder and more disturbing as it goes.

#138 Posted by Quarters (1675 posts) -

I grew up with a brother who loved horror movies, so I'm completely numb to them now. Can't think of a single horror movie I find "scary". That's why I judge them purely on quality, and not on "scare factor". Stuff like that is why I'm way more accepting of things like Resident Evil and Dead Space when they get more actiony. Since they don't scare me to begin with, them getting more action packed doesn't faze me in the slightest. I really enjoy horror movies, but not for anything even remotely related to fear.

#139 Posted by ripelivejam (3788 posts) -

parts of Evangelion. poor kids basically losing their minds. :(

#140 Posted by zFUBARz (625 posts) -

Nothing is scary, all you can hope for is to be weirded out and paranoid for a while.

I suggest session 9, I think it's on netflix.

#141 Posted by ripelivejam (3788 posts) -

i still can't understand people for whom blair witch had no effect.

#142 Edited by NeVeRMoRe666 (268 posts) -

One of my favourite movies of all time is "Jacob's Ladder." Check it out! It has some of the most terrifying scenes that I have ever seen and the story itself is really something worth seeing. In fact, you might recognize one of the lines in UNKLE and Thom Yorke's "Rabbit in your headlights" (on second thought, don't listen to this, there are spoilers).

#143 Edited by zFUBARz (625 posts) -

@ripelivejam: Other than maybe a jump scare I can't see why anyone would find it frightening at all. It's just a forest at night and a dude standing in a corner.

#144 Edited by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

session 9 bro. guarantee you will be scared

#145 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4388 posts) -

@babychoochoo said:

Martyrs.

nonononononononononononononono

if there was ever a movie I wish I could unwatch!

:(

lol, did it scar you that bad or did you just think it was terrible?

#146 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@babychoochoo: more of a scar. I didn't really think it was bad. I still... remember it.

#147 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (407 posts) -

Yeah for me, The Thing really got under my skin. Mostly because of the creature design: Tentacles, horrible beaks and teeth and misshapen mounds of flesh. Fuck that dog scene.

There are japanese movies that I've been told are kinda similar to this. Tetsuo the bullet-man and Akira obviously come to mind. Really disturbing imagery.

Irreversible is something I might consider a horror movie. A lot scarier than most other 'horror' movies because the monsters in that movie are all human beings. I've yet to see AntiChrist but I've heard that's also weepingly horrific.

#148 Edited by stryker1121 (1400 posts) -

Yeah for me, The Thing really got under my skin. Mostly because of the creature design: Tentacles, horrible beaks and teeth and misshapen mounds of flesh. Fuck that dog scene.

There are japanese movies that I've been told are kinda similar to this. Tetsuo the bullet-man and Akira obviously come to mind. Really disturbing imagery.

Irreversible is something I might consider a horror movie. A lot scarier than most other 'horror' movies because the monsters in that movie are all human beings. I've yet to see AntiChrist but I've heard that's also weepingly horrific.

Irreversible for "those scenes" is certainly horror to me. The director put in all sorts of weird ambient sounds and b/g noises to mess with theater-goers as well. More than a few stories about people fainting during the movie. Truth is stranger than fiction and there's nothing more horrible than what us human beings can get up to. I view American Psycho (particularly the novel) in the same light.

#149 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3141 posts) -

Paranormal Activity is great, so is The Ring, and so is Insidious to some degree. That one's a bit more subjective. But it's horror, so it's all subjective.

#150 Posted by Castiel (2572 posts) -

@JB16: I find aliens (specifically grays) to be freaky. I was going to watch that movie until I read that it was all fake and they got sued for saying it was real. I'm going to give it a shot. If I can suspend that thought while watching it, I think I'll enjoy it.

You mean a story about aliens isn't real? Well fuck that shit!