• 69 results
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HaltIamReptar

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/20899352/student-shot-at-price-middle-school-in-atlanta

Atlanta police spokesman Carlos Campos confirmed to CBS Atlanta News that a 14-year-old student had been shot in the head around 1:50 p.m. outside the school, which is located in the 1600 block of Benjamin Weldon Bickers Drive, and was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in downtown Atlanta.

Campos said that the student was conscious, alert and breathing when they were taken to the hospital.

The second victim, a teacher, was treated for minor injuries at the scene. It was unclear if that teacher was actually shot, but they were not taken to the hospital.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jams

There's going to be infinite copycats if we keep giving crazies fuel for their fire.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Animasta

at least no one died

and I hate that that's a positive <_<

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Coafi

@Jams said:

There's going to be infinite copycats if we keep giving crazies fuel for their fire.

Yep, sadly that's how these things work.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GnaTSoL

If the kid got shot in the head, sadly he won't ever be the same. If ya ain't dead the complications will get ya...

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vikingdeath1

Incredibly unfortunate news.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kindgineer

Fucking hell. The media is just giving them what they want: notoriety. Poor kid...ugh.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By chrissedoff

@ck1nd: What do you expect them to do, exactly? This is news.

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By boj4ngles

@ck1nd said:

Fucking hell. The media is just giving them what they want: notoriety. Poor kid...ugh.

You know, I hear this all the time and it makes no sense to me at all. How do you know that this crime was motivated by a desire for notoriety?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By colourful_hippie

@Animasta said:

at least no one died

and I hate that that's a positive

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Optix12

Hopefully in the head means in the mouth or something easier to deal with. I dont want to spark up anything about america over the UK or gun control or anything again (also INB4 all that stuff) but its crazy how I see this mostly from the US and not the UK, especially in schools, i could not think how something like this could happen in or around a school.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Phatmac

…:/

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@Optix12: It says in the article it was in the neck.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Optix12

@HaltIamReptar: That video loaded super slow for me, well at least he is breathing, now just hope that the CNS is not messed up and hes not paralyzed.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jams

@chrissedoff said:

It's not necessarily this news that's the problem. It's Sandy Hook, Columbine, Virginia Tech and the other's that are the problem. When the news sensationalizes these psychotic killers, it brings out these copy cats who want a piece of the limelight.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlexW00d

:(

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By LackingSaint

I think as far as right now, they're reporting it fine. It's an important event that occured. If we get weeks and weeks more coverage of this, then we have a problem.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OfficeGamer

Just stop going to school for a while in Merica, better than the chance of getting massacred! Sad news man :(

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kindgineer

@Jams: Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to respond to them without making myself look like an ass. I appreciate it!

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NickL

@chrissedoff said:

Why the hell do I need to know that sick fucks name was Adam Lanza and every detail about his life and see a million pictures of him.

Not saying that they all do it to be infamous but since Columbine was idolized by the media there has definitely been an steady increase in school shooting. Seems like there is one a week at this point.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By Sergio

@Jams said:

I agree that the news should stop sensationalizing mass shootings, but there is a need to report when they occur. If simply reporting a shooting spurs copycats, then there is something else that should be done.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By squiDc00kiE

@Phatmac said:

…:/

...:/

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By stonyman65

@Jams said:

This.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By coakroach

You Americans gotta get rid of your guns, this shit is crazy

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikeGosot

@coakroach said:

Oh, here we go again. I'm going to get my bingo.

No Caption Provided
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By laserbolts

Merica is so fucked.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By stonyman65

So.... How long until we find out the kid was bullied and/or on some type of psychotropic drug like 90% of every other school/mass shooting?

I'd say it we'll see it somewhere within the next 3 days.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By deathstriker666

2 people getting shot near a school does not make it a "school shooting", well at least as how I picture it when I hear that phrase. There's a huge difference between homicide and mass murder.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By IAmNotBatman

School shootings happen a lot in the UK 'cos it's easy to access gunz dere.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By bibamatt

@MikeGosot said:

@coakroach said:

Oh, here we go again. I'm going to get my bingo.

No Caption Provided

Needs more "BUT WHAT ABOUT SWITZERLAND?"

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikeGosot

@bibamatt: ...That counts as "Just take a look at [Insert Country Here]".

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#33  Edited By bibamatt

@MikeGosot said:

@bibamatt: ...That counts as "Just take a look at [Insert Country Here]".

Ah! Missed that!

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Max_Cherry

I hope he's okay.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By stonyman65

@Max_Cherry said:

I hope he's okay.

From the last report I read, he was shot in the back of the neck and is in the hospital and will be released later tonight, so I guess that's good news (or at least as good as it can be considering the situation)

On another note, apparently the shooting started because of an argument after school. The student with the gun was disarmed by a police officer who works at the school that was on the scene.

As much shit as people gave the NRA for the whole armed police in school thing, it seems to have actually been a good thing this time. I think that's the idea anyway, and it worked.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By konig_kei

No news is good news.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sergio

@Stonyman65 said:

As much shit as people gave the NRA for the whole armed police in school thing, it seems to have actually been a good thing this time. I think that's the idea anyway, and it worked.

It's not so much about armed police in school, which doesn't always help, but the whole armed teachers and principle that people are giving the NRA shit about. Even some gun rights folk have called that out as stupid.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By stonyman65

@Sergio said:

@Stonyman65 said:

It's not so much about armed police in school, which doesn't always help, but the whole armed teachers and principle that people are giving the NRA shit about. Even some gun rights folk have called that out as stupid.

There where still a few people who didn't want cops either.... As far as the whole teachers thing is concerned, I see no reason why it would be a bad thing as long as they do it willingly and get proper weapons training like Police do.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By captain_clayman

@boj4ngles said:

@ck1nd said:

You know, I hear this all the time and it makes no sense to me at all. How do you know that this crime was motivated by a desire for notoriety?

i dont know, but there's always tons and tons of copycats whenever a shooting gets major media coverage.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Simplexity

At this point you may as well go for broke and just hand everyone a gun.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ripelivejam

BUT IF THE TEACHERS HAD GUNS THEY COULD'VE DEFENDED THEMSELVES AGAINST... a middle schooler :(

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By boj4ngles

@captain_clayman said:

@boj4ngles said:

@ck1nd said:

i dont know, but there's always tons and tons of copycats whenever a shooting gets major media coverage.

What are suggesting? That every time someone shoots someone it is a copycat? Are you saying that when a gang banger shoots someone in my city then that is a copycat? FYI, most shootings that take place at schools are over a dispute between students, not some columbine style psychopathic event. The last news update I read here says police believe it stemmed from a dispute between students.

@Stonyman65 said:

@Sergio said:

@Stonyman65 said:

There where still a few people who didn't want cops either.... As far as the whole teachers thing is concerned, I see no reason why it would be a bad thing as long as they do it willingly and get proper weapons training like Police do.

This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. You know what would happen if we armed teachers? You would get instances of teachers shooting students. You know what kind of effect it would have on school districts? It would be even harder for them to find good teachers because teachers don't want their colleagues to be armed. Stop watching cable news.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By BigBoss1911

The rise of school shooting over the past decade in the US is disgusting.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By stonyman65

@boj4ngles said:

@captain_clayman said:

@boj4ngles said:

@ck1nd said:

What are suggesting? That every time someone shoots someone it is a copycat? Are you saying that when a gang shoots someone in my city then that is a copycat? FYI, most shootings that take place at schools are over a dispute between students, not some columbine style psychopathic event. The last news update I read here says police believe it stemmed from a dispute between students.

@Stonyman65 said:

@Sergio said:

@Stonyman65 said:

This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. You know what would happen if we armed teachers? You would get instances of teachers shooting students. You know what kind of effect it would have on school districts? It would be even harder for them to find good teachers because teachers don't want their colleagues to be armed. Stop watching cable news.

How is a trained, armed teacher any different from a cop? I can tell you as someone who has done firearms training with police, there really isn't much more that they know that they typical armed CCW-holding person knows.

Also, Israel. They have many armed teachers there and it is never a problem.

Remember, the key word here is trained. Give those who want it in-depth, realistic firearms training like what you would get from a training school like Gunsite or US Training Center.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sergio

Many teachers would, and some have, given their lives for their students, but like every profession, there are some bad apples in the bunch. If some are capable of having sex with their students, they're just as capable of shooting them. I've seen recent videos of teachers punching students. Background checks would probably clear them, as they aren't infallible. So I do feel that arming teachers is a bad decision. As far as police or armed guards, I don't have a problem with it, but it's not a definitive solution, given the number of mass shootings where there was security hired by the school.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sergio

@Stonyman65 said:

Israel isn't a great example. Military service is mandatory for both men and women. There's also the matter of where they're located in the world. A comparison could be made if we had conscription and Canada were shelling us with missiles.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By stonyman65

@Sergio said:

@Stonyman65 said:

Israel isn't a great example. Military service is mandatory for both men and women. There's also the matter of where they're located in the world. A comparison could be made if we had conscription and Canada were shelling us with missiles.

I see your point, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a teacher in a school armed with a gun. The circumstances might be different, but the end result is the same.

To counter your part above about police vs. teachers, what makes you think the police officer in question would be and more or less inclined to harm students than the teachers? I'd be willing to bet police brutality is much more commonplace that teacher brutality.

That being said, there are bad apples everywhere so who know?

IMO, the whole "Gun Free Zone" thing has been a catastrophic failure so far, so why not try something new that might work? I don't think it can get any worse than it has been already so why not?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By McGhee

Can we just ban all gun related topics from the forums already?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By colourful_hippie

@McGhee said:

Can we just ban all gun related topics from the forums already?

I should tear that comment apart but I feel like being nice at the moment.

Voshterkoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Voshterkoff

@Stonyman65 said:

How is a trained, armed teacher any different from a cop? I can tell you as someone who has done firearms training with police, there really isn't much more that they know that they typical armed CCW-holding person knows.

This can't be stated enough. Everyone thinks that cops are the only ones that should be armed, but if they saw how most perform in a no-stress situation they would change their minds.