#1 Posted by Ninja (534 posts) -
John

Hey guys,

So, you might not know me, I'm Ninja, also known as John. I was wondering how many Scottish people there are on the community, who would like to meet up and talk about how we all have this mutual love. Obviously this idea is at the early stages, but I bet we going go for a nandos or a pizza hut somewhere in the central belt, depending on where the majority of bombers are from. I spend half my year in Stirling whilst at University, so the central belt is pretty accessible for me.

I guess this idea has came to me since the Giant Bomb World Tour didn't seem to kick-off. Also maybe that bottle of Scotch on the mailbag today made me think more about Scotland as relating to this community.

So what do you guys say? Any interest?

-Ninja out.

#2 Posted by deerokus (543 posts) -

There seem to be more of us than one would expect.

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

If this turns out to be a thing, I demand a bagpipe cover of the Bombcast theme.

#4 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

I am not from Scotland, I cannot be a part of this.

#5 Posted by Ninja (534 posts) -

@deerokus said:

There seem to be more of us than one would expect.

So, what you're trying to say is your up for it?

#6 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

Dude, I would be down to do dumb shit, but I am from California so that isn't really feasible. I love the idea of a Giant Bomb meet-up though so hopefully people jump on board this idea and it goes global.

#7 Posted by Ninja (534 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Dude, I would be down to do dumb shit, but I am from California so that isn't really feasible. I love the idea of a Giant Bomb meet-up though so hopefully people jump on board this idea and it goes global.

Well, come to Scotland, it's brilliant!

In all seriousness. I think the idea is good too. I mean us Europeans can't all afford to go to PAX or other Expos, and I'm sure especially in the United Kingdom there are large enough regional groups of Giant Bomb fans that we could have cheap meet-ups to find people who can talk with us all about the things we talk to nobody about.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Can I come just to swoon over your accents?

Awesome, I'll get my rubber boat.

#9 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1497 posts) -

I am Scottish, but don't live in Scotland. Ach.

#10 Posted by DWN2550 (18 posts) -

I would be up for it but depends on what dates we would be shooting for.

#11 Edited by SpacePenguin (478 posts) -

If this happens I would definitely be up it. 

Im from Glasgow.

#12 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

If this turns out to be a thing, I demand a bagpipe cover of the Bombcast theme.

really. i find the bagpipe possibly the mosy annoying sound in the world. on par with christina agularia

#13 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

@Ravenlight said:

really. i find the bagpipe possibly the mosy annoying sound in the world. on par with christina agularia

Exactly!

#14 Posted by BSw (252 posts) -

Great initiative! We should actually make this a worldwide thing. All GB'ers come together in the capitals of their country/state on the same day somewhere during July or August. That'd be awesome!

#15 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

I'm in edinburgh! meeting strangers is kinda scary though...

#16 Posted by LukewarmGravity (13 posts) -

Might be interested, also from Glasgow, and know of many other GiantBombers here too.

#17 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

@LukewarmGravity@ItBeStefYo
@deerokus
@DWN2550
@SpacePenguin

There is a a video games/anime convention happening in Dundee this weekend at the Dundee University Student Union. I was there last year and met up with Giant Bomb member rmanthorp, we had a blast and have met up a couple of times since then. I'll be attending again this year but unfortunately rmanthorp won't be able to make it.

This thread couldn't have popped up at a better time as this would be the ideal location for a Scottish meetup.

#18 Posted by light_grenade (124 posts) -

Might be interested. From Aberdeen. Stuck with uni work right now though...

#19 Posted by Wampa1 (670 posts) -

Glasgow here!

#20 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

I'll make a thread shortly with more details about the con, don't let me be the only guy kicking about in a Giant Bomb hoodie.

#21 Posted by Ninja (534 posts) -

@light_grenade said:

Might be interested. From Aberdeen. Stuck with uni work right now though...

Yeah same, we might not get this thing actually organised until after the summer, I'm snowed in with Uni work and then have a really busy summer, but it will take time to accumulate all the names of people.

What do people think is the best location though, Glasgow, Edinburgh, somewhere else?

#22 Posted by Lucien21 (108 posts) -

I live near Edinburgh.

#23 Posted by ryoma122 (699 posts) -

glasgow

#24 Posted by Navyseils (164 posts) -

I'm up for it. I would vote Glasgow as the location, but that's purely because I live here and it would make my attendance far easier.

#25 Posted by returnofjake (231 posts) -

Surely choose the capital, and my home, the glorious Edinburgh!

#26 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -
#27 Posted by Ninja (534 posts) -

Glasgow is the population centre though, if we want to get away from urban sprawl somewhere like stirling might be a good shout?

#28 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

im from scotland but in all honestly id find meeting up with a bunch of random people from a forum weird. no offense.

#29 Edited by Jasta (2217 posts) -

I live in Dunfermline, so I'm equal distance from almost any suggestion.

P.S I also suggest we don't meetup in Dunfermline.

#30 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -

I live in Glasgow

#31 Posted by TheSkyMarshal (1 posts) -

@Ninja: So funny story, I also go to Stirling University. Wanna grab a pint some time? I tried to see if I recognised you from your photo, but I'm left unsure :P

#32 Posted by Humanoid (206 posts) -

@Ninja said:

John

Hey guys,

So, you might not know me, I'm Ninja, also known as John. I was wondering how many Scottish people there are on the community, who would like to meet up and talk about how we all have this mutual love. Obviously this idea is at the early stages, but I bet we going go for a nandos or a pizza hut somewhere in the central belt, depending on where the majority of bombers are from. I spend half my year in Stirling whilst at University, so the central belt is pretty accessible for me.

I guess this idea has came to me since the Giant Bomb World Tour didn't seem to kick-off. Also maybe that bottle of Scotch on the mailbag today made me think more about Scotland as relating to this community.

So what do you guys say? Any interest?

-Ninja out.

Stirling eh? I'm from Dunblane, so Stirling is like a ten minute train away. Usually I'm up at Dundee studying ethical hacking, but yeah, I've just about finished so I'll be in Dunblane for 4 months.

#33 Posted by Mongoose (218 posts) -

Inverness here, though travel between there and Kinross every weekend. I'm in agreement that it would be strange meeting randoms from a forum however, it's not the craziest thing ever so I suppose I would be in. Studied at Abertay myself, and Perth and now the Scottish school of Forestry!

#34 Posted by Baillie (4173 posts) -

Why don't you figure out what you want to do on this meetup and then plan from there. Street fighter tournament you say??

#35 Posted by returnofjake (231 posts) -

Anything except a Street Fighter tournament you say?

#36 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

MK tournament!

#37 Edited by forkboy (1151 posts) -

@Mongoose said:

Inverness here, though travel between there and Kinross every weekend. I'm in agreement that it would be strange meeting randoms from a forum however, it's not the craziest thing ever so I suppose I would be in. Studied at Abertay myself, and Perth and now the Scottish school of Forestry!

Ah, another teuchter. I shouldn't be surprised, this site has a pretty big userbase, but sometimes it's hard not to feel I'm the only one in this town with an internet connection!

As far as the general "meeting internet people" thing, it's not actually that odd. I used to post regularly on the Download Festival forums & since have made several really close friends off there. Most people online are pretty normal & decent in person, though of course there are the exceptions.

#38 Posted by mercutio123 (471 posts) -

@BSw said:

Great initiative! We should actually make this a worldwide thing. All GB'ers come together in the capitals of their country/state on the same day somewhere during July or August. That'd be awesome!

This.

#39 Posted by giant_frying_pan (63 posts) -

Based in Glasgow, but would be willing to go to a meet-up in Edinburgh, or most places in Scotland, really.

#40 Posted by Humanoid (206 posts) -

Oh my, how many of us study or have studied at Abertay?

#41 Posted by swamplord666 (1760 posts) -

if you guys decide to do it in edinburgh, give me a shout.

#42 Posted by giant_frying_pan (63 posts) -

Seemed like the best place to note this: walked past someone on Sauchiehall Street earlier today with a Lincoln Force t-shirt on and my brain didn't react quick enough to give a quick high five, fist bump or good ol' Glasgow Kiss or something else equally cringeworthy. So hello, unknown fellow Glaswegian Giant Bomb fan!

#43 Edited by Wolfrum_920 (104 posts) -

I`d be up for it. I live in Glasgow, so, that`d be cool with me! I know a pretty gd bar near my house, if we were looking for somewhere to meet up.

#44 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -

RANGERS

#45 Posted by giant_frying_pan (63 posts) -

Are doomed :p