melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By melcene

News article today says:

Scrabble, one of the last bastions of grammatical purism in a world overrun by cell phone text abbreviations, is capitulating to the times.

The board game plans to add 3,000 new words to its official dictionary, including several slang terms like "thang" (9 points) and "grrl" (5 points) as well as pop culture touchstones, like Facebook and MySpace.

Turning the most heads is the inclusion of "innit," a condensation of "isn't it" that will earn you 5 points - and the undying hatred of any English majors who are playing along.

I'm... just dumbstruck.  Grrl?  Thang?  INNIT?!  Now granted, I haven't played Scrabble in forever.  Still, I think one of the reasons people play Scrabble is simply to show how much smarter they are than the other person.  But adding words like those certainly aren't going to help anyone feel smart.  Part of me wants to see the official word list, after they add 3,000 more words including those above.  Part of me is scared to even look.

As a semi-grammar-nazi myself, this does irk me, even if I don't play.  It's like sacrilege.
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShaggE

Oh no they di'in't. 

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By beej

God damnit! 'Grrl' really? Fucking really Scrabble?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

Ain't no thang, grrl.

Wait... proper nouns in Scrabble? Wtf?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I'm holding out for the LOL version.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scooper

Grrl.

Wat.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Who cares about the scrabble dictionary. The OED is where it's at. And I'm pretty sure all those words have been in the OED for years. Stuff like lol and omg are definitely in there. Language evolves, and whether we like it or not, they are words. Language is defined by its use. 100 years ago people would have cringed at half of the words we use today and think of as good spelling & grammar. 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

No.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

Why would you replace the I in 'girl' with another R? I really don't understand that.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Azteck

Oh shiiiiiet son. Trippin'

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By SMTDante89
@AlexW00d said:
" Why would you replace the I in 'girl' with another R? I really don't understand that. "
This was what I first thought of when I saw "grrl" but it has three r's instead of two.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cookiemonster

innit blad, am gunna murk you, yeh. fwagwan mandem.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake

I don't remember the manufacturers of Scrabble being in charge of the English language. Sure, it's their game but I'm going to follow the Oxford English Dictionary in every game I play of Scrabble.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By zidd

at least people with a shitty vocabulary can play scrabble without getting frustrated.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

The sound you are now hearing is my skull colliding with the wall in a repeated fashion until blood seeps out.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By melcene
@MattyFTM said:
" Who cares about the scrabble dictionary. The OED is where it's at. And I'm pretty sure all those words have been in the OED for years. Stuff like lol and omg are definitely in there. Language evolves, and whether we like it or not, they are words. Language is defined by its use.  "
I did consider the OED, and I know that they've been adding more e- and text-related words.  March of 2011 they added OMG, LOL and FYI.  But keep in mind that the OED normally gives compelling reasoning for including a word.  What could compel Scrabble to include INNIT?
Crescendo1897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Crescendo1897

innit 2 winnit

grrl
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Vexxan
@AlexW00d said:
" Why would you replace the I in 'girl' with another R? I really don't understand that. "
Because it sounds sexier...or something. Grrrrr!  :S
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@melcene said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" Who cares about the scrabble dictionary. The OED is where it's at. And I'm pretty sure all those words have been in the OED for years. Stuff like lol and omg are definitely in there. Language evolves, and whether we like it or not, they are words. Language is defined by its use.  "
I did consider the OED, and I know that they've been adding more e- and text-related words.  March of 2011 they added OMG, LOL and FYI.  But keep in mind that the OED normally gives compelling reasoning for including a word.  What could compel Scrabble to include INNIT? "
It's a word that people use. That's what compelled them to use it. Innit is also in the OED. People use it and thus it is a word. It's that simple. Language is a collection of words that people use. If people use it, then it's a word. 
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By imsh_pl

I assume the British version will reward bonus points for 'Queen'.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By melcene
@MattyFTM: You're right.  Apparently INNIT is a popular word in Britain.  But grrl is not in the OED.  
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@melcene: Grrrl is in the OED, and has been in there since 2002.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#23  Edited By BeachThunder
@Hailinel said:

" The sound you are now hearing is my skull colliding with the wall in a repeated fashion until blood seeps out. "

Ah, yes, I believe that phenomenon is called "qyzjykx". That's 49 points, by the way.
Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ksaw

WORDS WITH FRIENDS.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Afroman269

Fuck. That.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@ShaggE said:
" Oh no they di'in't.  "
Oh yeah, thats the stuff *grabs popcorn*
PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PaulRevere
@Ksaw said:
" WORDS WITH FRIENDS. "
This
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SlightConfuse

* i think i bllod vessl in my brain just popped
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sameeeeam
@Afroman269 said:
" Fuck. That. "
gakushya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#31  Edited By gakushya

Tell me, are you people even aware that the field of "linguistics" is the scientific study of language? Do you not consider at all the fact that smarter people than you are making decisions on things that they understand better than you do? Why do you trust an astronomer when he tells you what is or isn't a planet, but when a linguist tells you what is or isn't a word, you are incredulous? I think I'll follow advice on what is or isn't a word by people who can at least define the concepts involved.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TyCobb

Well, this is bullshit. I will continue to play with proper words and forbid slang and Ebonics.

@BeachThunder said:

@Hailinel said:

" The sound you are now hearing is my skull colliding with the wall in a repeated fashion until blood seeps out. "

Ah, yes, I believe that phenomenon is called "qyzjykx". That's 49 points, by the way.

You forgot the 50 bonus points for using all 7 of your letters. =)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Justin258

What-the-fuck-ever, man.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By AlexW00d

@gakushya said:

Tell me, are you people even aware that the field of "linguistics" is the scientific study of language? Do you not consider at all the fact that smarter people than you are making decisions on things that they understand better than you do? Why do you trust an astronomer when he tells you what is or isn't a planet, but when a linguist tells you what is or isn't a word, you are incredulous? I think I'll follow advice on what is or isn't a word by people who can at least define the concepts involved.

Thanks for bumping a 15 month old topic to be a condescending jerk buddy.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ulain

@gakushya said:

I think we are aware "people" (read: morons) use words like innit and grrl, but are they really used commonly enough to be included in this?

Also, who the fuck is blindly trusting astronomers with information without doing a little further research if it sounds fishy? Same thing applies here, please don't throw out stupid analogies like that. I mean, are you busy using these "words" when you're not trying to school us, and trying to enforce it? I thought not.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By beargirl1

daaaamn grrl what a necro

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By diz

Isn't this really about spelling and not grammar though?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NTM

So basically, humanities future for correct speech is established from SMS language?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By laserbolts

Lulz

gakushya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gakushya

@Ulain said:

@gakushya said:

I think we are aware "people" (read: morons) use words like innit and grrl, but are they really used commonly enough to be included in this?

Also, who the fuck is blindly trusting astronomers with information without doing a little further research if it sounds fishy? Same thing applies here, please don't throw out stupid analogies like that. I mean, are you busy using these "words" when you're not trying to school us, and trying to enforce it? I thought not.

It's not an analogy. If a professional journalist needs to say something about something which falls under the domain of science, they will always consult an expert (in theory anwyays). If its about medicine, they will ask a doctor, if its about phsyics, they will ask a physicist, if it has something to do with animals a biologist or zoologist will be quoted. When it comes to language, a linguist is not consulted. Seriously professional journalists just make shit up about language, and its often wrong.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=833

Check out this article from the Language Log (the blogger is a computational linguist). The point being made here is that

The principle we see at work here is that writers think fact-checking is never needed on any point that is broadly about language.

And there are countless examples.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3479

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=199

Politics will accuse each other of short sentences and incomplete grammar, when they do the exact same things.

gakushya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gakushya

@Ulain said:

I never said people who use the word "innit" are morons. That's harsh. No I don't think that. I've studied the history of two languages, Japanese and English, and also historical linguistics, and the pattern always repeats; some group of pedants protesting and bitching against some emergent word or colloquialism demanding that we use something this way or that. ALWAYS. Seriously. Since the emergence of language, there has always been some person bitching about how others speak. I'm not kidding. Every point in time in the history of the English language, someone has identified a specific trend that somehow represents the downfall of the language. If these morons took some time to study how language works in a technical and social sense, they will realize that language will never devolve and loose the beauty or sophistication they identify. Barring the fact that these claims always evaporate the moment you ask the accuser to form their proclamations in a technical way that can be verified, language just doesn't work that way. It's not a system that becomes simpler or less expressive over time. No. How can you possibly claim that English has declined and devolved since the Shakespeare days when you don't even know the basic methodology for analysing languages to begin with?

Most of the time Grammar Nazi's do not have a linguistic rational for their accusations, its just norm enforcement. You are grossly offended by someone doing something that appears to be breaking the conventions and customs that you have internalized. You think someone gets angry over "youre" because there is an inherent linguistic mistake? No. They get angry because you are violating what they take to be a cultural law (manifested in language in this case), and humans always instinctively react to these sorts of transgressions with indignation and aggression.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm so gonna play "grrrrrl" as every word possible and get the hell out of that Scrabble bonus.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Grrl really? Sweet lord.

@Video_Game_King said:

I'm so gonna play "grrrrrl" as every word possible and get the hell out of that Scrabble bonus.

Toss Z's on all them thangzzzzz

gakushya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gakushya

@AlexW00d said:

@gakushya said:

You know what, you broadcast your uneducated oversimplified views on language, you promulgate myth and miseducation, and so, yeah, you deserve to be scolded. If this were a discussion about numbers, we would be using the methodology of mathematics, if this were about javascript we would be asking the programmers, if we were discussing diets we might ask a nutritionist. But when it comes to language, things are suddenly right or wrong, and suddenly everybody knows why. Don't see why this is a social problem worth addressing? Well, fine. It's not like anything I do is going to convince you.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By veektarius

@gakushya: I think you deserve to be scolded for getting on a high horse. You could address your points without pulling it out of the stable.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@gakushya said:

@AlexW00d said:

@gakushya said:

You know what, you broadcast your uneducated oversimplified views on language, you promulgate myth and miseducation, and so, yeah, you deserve to be scolded. If this were a discussion about numbers, we would be using the methodology of mathematics, if this were about javascript we would be asking the programmers, if we were discussing diets we might ask a nutritionist. But when it comes to language, things are suddenly right or wrong, and suddenly everybody knows why. Don't see why this is a social problem worth addressing? Well, fine. It's not like anything I do is going to convince you.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheHT

grrl?!

is that growling and then having a heart attack?

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ulain

@gakushya said:

@Ulain said:

I never said people who use the word "innit" are morons. That's harsh. No I don't think that. I've studied the history of two languages, Japanese and English, and also historical linguistics, and the pattern always repeats; some group of pedants protesting and bitching against some emergent word or colloquialism demanding that we use something this way or that. ALWAYS. Seriously. Since the emergence of language, there has always been some person bitching about how others speak. I'm not kidding. Every point in time in the history of the English language, someone has identified a specific trend that somehow represents the downfall of the language. If these morons took some time to study how language works in a technical and social sense, they will realize that language will never devolve and loose the beauty or sophistication they identify. Barring the fact that these claims always evaporate the moment you ask the accuser to form their proclamations in a technical way that can be verified, language just doesn't work that way. It's not a system that becomes simpler or less expressive over time. No. How can you possibly claim that English has declined and devolved since the Shakespeare days when you don't even know the basic methodology for analysing languages to begin with?

Most of the time Grammar Nazi's do not have a linguistic rational for their accusations, its just norm enforcement. You are grossly offended by someone doing something that appears to be breaking the conventions and customs that you have internalized. You think someone gets angry over "youre" because there is an inherent linguistic mistake? No. They get angry because you are violating what they take to be a cultural law (manifested in language in this case), and humans always instinctively react to these sorts of transgressions with indignation and aggression.

Tl;DR. No, seriously.

How's that for proper linguistic skill, bud?

19 Posts and you're using it to undermine and insult your fellow forum-goers. You're off to a good start :)

@PeasantAbuse: My thoughts exactly.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By eskimo

Just because something is in the OED doesnt mean its ok to use in scrabble. Just like they have rules against using abbreviations and slang, they should have a rule against using bullshit internet words.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bribo

Did they add "1337"?