• 70 results
#1 Edited by cmpLtNOOb (190 posts) -

I just did another refresh when I got to my screen and Screened.com redirects to Moviefone.com. Unless someone downloaded and plans to rebuild stuff, the wiki, forums, and video content have all disappeared into the internet ether.

It was fun while it lasted.

#3 Posted by Bones8677 (3210 posts) -
#4 Posted by joshwent (2112 posts) -

The perfect way for a shitty company to completely prove that they never gave a fuck about that site. Moviefone dot fuckin' com.

#5 Posted by crithon (3075 posts) -

wow, moviefone.... I never used it in 1995.

#6 Posted by themangalist (1717 posts) -

Awww I'm going to miss Alex's reviews. Is there any video backup?

#7 Posted by ch3burashka (5009 posts) -

There but for the grace of God goes Screened.com.

I enjoyed it back when Matt and Alex were on the team. Honestly, I have no idea how it lasted these past couple years. I went back every six months or so - forums are dead, content updates were fairly monotonous (a few op pieces) and I had no idea who the people were.

I'd do a whisky shot in honor of ol' Whiskey Media, but I don't have any... and I don't like it. Maybe an orange juice will suffice.

#8 Posted by Vuud (1943 posts) -

We'll always have Whiskey Media Happy Hour.... ehhhhhhhhh....

#9 Posted by FinalDasa (1491 posts) -

A handful of users downloaded the videos (I have a good chunk of them on an external hard drive) and Joey said via twitter he has the masters of them. A few are even available on GiantBomb's Youtube channel.

Some users tried to save some of the wiki but most of it, the forums, and everything else are just gone. Maybe they'll sit on a hard drive somewhere in BB and be recovered one day but that's such a small possibility it's borderline ridiculous.

I think what bums me out about it the most is the lost of potential. BermanBraun ran their own entertainment focused Youtube channel and that easily could have been slapped onto Screened to have their own website. Just rename the site, update it a bit, and now those videos have an entire wiki, forum, and everything else in which to work. Would have cost very little to make that a reality.

#10 Posted by bobafettjm (1404 posts) -

It really is a bummer. I really feel for the people who did a lot of work on their wiki. I would be one unhappy camper if all the work I did on the wiki here were to just be gone.

#11 Posted by BisonHero (6160 posts) -

@finaldasa: You were fighting the good fight there on Screened, FinalDasa. I salute you.

#12 Posted by Kovie (198 posts) -

I know @lordandrew was talking about doing a partial archive of the site. I got nearly everything I could as far as video content, but I'm sure other people have done a better, more thorough job at getting backups. I wonder what the chances are of the videos being safely reuploaded somewhere.

#13 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

I checked earlier today to see if it closed (was thinking it was like the 11th for some reason) but it is really over....god speed everyone, god speed.

#14 Edited by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@finaldasa: When you took over did you know it would come to this? They say anything like it or you just assumed? They ever talk about doing anything with it eventually or just waiting out the rights to the site?

#15 Posted by FinalDasa (1491 posts) -

@nightriff: Nope. My contract was renewed several times throughout the last year, usually well in advance. I was told things were changing but after a little while I just kept working. One week before the announcement I was told about the plan to close Screened and redirect traffic to Moviefone.

I assumed they would eventually do something with the site and I was simply a placeholder. I knew enough about the wiki, the users, and how the site is generally run to keep updating it. Nothing was really ever discussed with me.

#16 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@finaldasa: You did the best you could and I would visit here and there to see what you were doing with it. Had to be tough, it certainly seemed like it was just you doing everything.

#17 Posted by FinalDasa (1491 posts) -

@nightriff: @bisonhero: Thanks!

I had a lot of help from our community who did a lot of writing on their own. I wish I had more resources to make a podcast and even our own videos but alas.

#18 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I never really went to Screened, but it's weird that it's gone. Fucking Moviefone, though? Christ.

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

So, someone backed up the good Wiki articles, right?

#20 Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -

I saved all my reviews and a few of my feature articles, as well as all the pertinent video features. At least I'll have them somewhere.

Staff
#21 Edited by ILikePopCans (745 posts) -

Rorie has said a couple times he has all his videos and articles.

...if only Alex's and Rories's videos could magically appear on the site...

#22 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

Wow. I can't believe anime vice outlived any of the other sites closing.

#23 Posted by mercutio123 (468 posts) -

@alex: Any way to get them up on GB or is that all tied up in a legal death trap?

#24 Posted by PhilESkyline (772 posts) -

Saw the thread title and thought you were referring to the itching and burning you've been having.

#25 Edited by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

I gotta say @rorie and @alex arguing over which Lethal Weapon was the worst in the series continues to be my favorite piece of content on that site. Actually that whole concept was just awesome.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (23873 posts) -

I can't believe people are still surprised by this. Despite being treated like the redheaded stepchild by Whiskey Media, Anime Vice got and still gets a good flow of traffic, even if the majority of the forum traffic is dedicated to battle threads and the like.

#27 Edited by Bigheart711 (1252 posts) -

Yeah, it was really sad to see it go. Thankfully, I saved all of my important wiki work from there into document files before it disappeared.

#28 Edited by Brendan (7687 posts) -

Goodbye, Screened.

#29 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@crusader8463 said:

I can't believe people are still surprised by this. Despite being treated like the redheaded stepchild by Whiskey Media, Anime Vice got and still gets a good flow of traffic, even if the majority of the forum traffic is dedicated to battle threads and the like.

I loved anime vice. But once they got rid of John and Gia I left and never went back. When I tried to check in it was always terrible. I don't care for the Tom guy they replace them with. I just found him boring and uninteresting.

#30 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3007 posts) -

Hey guys.

#31 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (263 posts) -

I got on early this morning though. I even logged in. I put so much work into that site. My favorite page was the Marvel Animated Universe page. I spent hours writing that page. It's hard knowing that now it's all gone. I had many forum posts and blogs too. I left the site after Rorie went but I'll always look back on it fondly. It's like I've lost an old friend. Screened was my favorite web site for a very long time. I did check in on it though everyone now and then just to see how things were going.

#32 Posted by djames216 (361 posts) -

Yeah, it was really sad to see it go. Thankfully, I saved all of my important wiki work from there into document files before it disappeared.

A small band of us humble Screened wiki contributors are building a new TV/Film wiki site at wikia.com. It's called To Hollywood and Beyond . It's still in its infancy but slowly taking shape day by day. We managed to save some wiki content. We either transferred our own work or got permission to transfer other's where relevant. I think a lot was still lost though. You are all welcome to join in. I know you're already aware of all this @bigheart711 but I wanted to include you in this response anyway.

#33 Posted by Strongbadman47 (154 posts) -

Dammit! I forgot to download all the video features..

#34 Posted by Roger778 (953 posts) -

Goodbye Screened. I was a member, there.

Next to Dark Horizons which I visit every day, you were my other favorite movie web site.

I'll miss you.

#35 Edited by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

I'm going to miss all of the wiki work that was done there, and the forums had some rad people in them...despite how some of them really hated Giant Bomb.

Nonetheless, raise a glass to the good times and remember all of the people that made that site a reality, an actual thing that didn't suck at one point...and then remember the users that tried to keep the life support going as much as possible while dealing with the executive bullshit of BermanBraun.

*clink*

#36 Posted by Andorski (5189 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

I'm going to miss all of the wiki work that was done there, and the forums had some rad people in them...despite how some of them really hated Giant Bomb.

Why?

#37 Posted by FinalDasa (1491 posts) -

@andorski said:
@jakob187 said:

Why?

I know in Screened chat during Happy Hours it was nice to have a slower, calmer chat. Chatting back then on the GB chat was a hassle and often times filled with people continuing the "Brad is leaving" troll or saying untoward things about Sara from ComicVine. I never knew of anyone who hated GB but it was nice to have a little slice of calm.

#38 Posted by Legend (2649 posts) -

Sad to see screened gone. I'm just glad I didn't spend hours editing the wiki like some other users did. I can't imagine what it feels like to see all their hard work simply gone. I guess if you like spending time writing wiki articles either do it on a super popular website like Wikipedia or be prepared to see your hard work gone sooner or later.

#39 Posted by themangalist (1717 posts) -

A handful of users downloaded the videos (I have a good chunk of them on an external hard drive) and Joey said via twitter he has the masters of them. A few are even available on GiantBomb's Youtube channel.

Some users tried to save some of the wiki but most of it, the forums, and everything else are just gone. Maybe they'll sit on a hard drive somewhere in BB and be recovered one day but that's such a small possibility it's borderline ridiculous.

I think what bums me out about it the most is the lost of potential. BermanBraun ran their own entertainment focused Youtube channel and that easily could have been slapped onto Screened to have their own website. Just rename the site, update it a bit, and now those videos have an entire wiki, forum, and everything else in which to work. Would have cost very little to make that a reality.

I always thought the whiskeymedia sites were built on one premise: the wiki. But I do not believe any site other than ComicVine had a strong enough userbase to keep that up. I don't see much potential in Screened; it could no way compete with the established imdb.

But if it's the "giantbomb"-ness of Screened (the personality-focused aspect) that you think has potential, I... don't think it's the same when Screened for me is all Alex and Rorie.

#40 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

@finaldasa: There were a few slights thrown around within the forums.

#41 Posted by Hailinel (23873 posts) -

@andorski said:
@jakob187 said:

Why?

I know in Screened chat during Happy Hours it was nice to have a slower, calmer chat. Chatting back then on the GB chat was a hassle and often times filled with people continuing the "Brad is leaving" troll or saying untoward things about Sara from ComicVine. I never knew of anyone who hated GB but it was nice to have a little slice of calm.

In the Whiskey Media days, Giant Bomb's chat was quite possibly the worst cesspool of any WM site, chat or forum. Happy Hours were much easier to stomach without the GB chat.

#42 Posted by Snail (8579 posts) -

@alex said:

I saved all my reviews and a few of my feature articles, as well as all the pertinent video features. At least I'll have them somewhere.

Do you think they'll ever go up somewhere?

#43 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

@hailinel: Yeah. It was mainly stuff like that being said.

#44 Posted by Linkster7 (1011 posts) -

Damn, I was going to download all those video features but I totally forgot. Anyone planning on uploading them somewhere?
Could one even legally upload them anywhere? Who's permission would one even need?

#45 Posted by csl316 (8098 posts) -

@linkster7: The biggest hurdle would be copyright claims. I know that was always a big deal when it was still part of WM, at least on Youtube.

#46 Edited by takashichea (344 posts) -
#47 Posted by takashichea (344 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

@bigheart711 said:

A small band of us humble Screened wiki contributors are building a new TV/Film wiki site at wikia.com. It's called To Hollywood and Beyond . It's still in its infancy but slowly taking shape day by day. We managed to save some wiki content. We either transferred our own work or got permission to transfer other's where relevant. I think a lot was still lost though. You are all welcome to join in. I know you're already aware of all this @bigheart711 but I wanted to include you in this response anyway.

Definitely check To Hollywood and Beyond Wikia. We're continuing the wiki from Screened and keeping it alive.

#48 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2479 posts) -

Had a lot of fun doing reviews and wikis there in the early days. I loved the podcast, the community was pleasant, and the video content was terrific.

It's sad that Screened is no more. I would visit the site every so often after the Whiskey buyout, but it just never felt the same.

R.I.P.

#49 Posted by zFUBARz (624 posts) -

@finaldasa Sorry for your lose Duder, you did the best with what you had.