• 76 results
badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By badsmalltalker

I just did another refresh when I got to my screen and Screened.com redirects to Moviefone.com. Unless someone downloaded and plans to rebuild stuff, the wiki, forums, and video content have all disappeared into the internet ether.

It was fun while it lasted.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

The perfect way for a shitty company to completely prove that they never gave a fuck about that site. Moviefone dot fuckin' com.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

wow, moviefone.... I never used it in 1995.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Awww I'm going to miss Alex's reviews. Is there any video backup?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There but for the grace of God goes Screened.com.

I enjoyed it back when Matt and Alex were on the team. Honestly, I have no idea how it lasted these past couple years. I went back every six months or so - forums are dead, content updates were fairly monotonous (a few op pieces) and I had no idea who the people were.

I'd do a whisky shot in honor of ol' Whiskey Media, but I don't have any... and I don't like it. Maybe an orange juice will suffice.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We'll always have Whiskey Media Happy Hour.... ehhhhhhhhh....

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9 FinalDasa  Moderator

A handful of users downloaded the videos (I have a good chunk of them on an external hard drive) and Joey said via twitter he has the masters of them. A few are even available on GiantBomb's Youtube channel.

Some users tried to save some of the wiki but most of it, the forums, and everything else are just gone. Maybe they'll sit on a hard drive somewhere in BB and be recovered one day but that's such a small possibility it's borderline ridiculous.

I think what bums me out about it the most is the lost of potential. BermanBraun ran their own entertainment focused Youtube channel and that easily could have been slapped onto Screened to have their own website. Just rename the site, update it a bit, and now those videos have an entire wiki, forum, and everything else in which to work. Would have cost very little to make that a reality.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

It really is a bummer. I really feel for the people who did a lot of work on their wiki. I would be one unhappy camper if all the work I did on the wiki here were to just be gone.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11 BisonHero  Online

@finaldasa: You were fighting the good fight there on Screened, FinalDasa. I salute you.

No Caption Provided

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know @lordandrew was talking about doing a partial archive of the site. I got nearly everything I could as far as video content, but I'm sure other people have done a better, more thorough job at getting backups. I wonder what the chances are of the videos being safely reuploaded somewhere.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I checked earlier today to see if it closed (was thinking it was like the 11th for some reason) but it is really over....god speed everyone, god speed.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nightriff

@finaldasa: When you took over did you know it would come to this? They say anything like it or you just assumed? They ever talk about doing anything with it eventually or just waiting out the rights to the site?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FinalDasa  Moderator

@nightriff: Nope. My contract was renewed several times throughout the last year, usually well in advance. I was told things were changing but after a little while I just kept working. One week before the announcement I was told about the plan to close Screened and redirect traffic to Moviefone.

I assumed they would eventually do something with the site and I was simply a placeholder. I knew enough about the wiki, the users, and how the site is generally run to keep updating it. Nothing was really ever discussed with me.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: You did the best you could and I would visit here and there to see what you were doing with it. Had to be tough, it certainly seemed like it was just you doing everything.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FinalDasa  Moderator

@nightriff: @bisonhero: Thanks!

I had a lot of help from our community who did a lot of writing on their own. I wish I had more resources to make a podcast and even our own videos but alas.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I never really went to Screened, but it's weird that it's gone. Fucking Moviefone, though? Christ.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

So, someone backed up the good Wiki articles, right?

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saved all my reviews and a few of my feature articles, as well as all the pertinent video features. At least I'll have them somewhere.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By ilikepopcans

Rorie has said a couple times he has all his videos and articles.

...if only Alex's and Rories's videos could magically appear on the site...

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Wow. I can't believe anime vice outlived any of the other sites closing.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex: Any way to get them up on GB or is that all tied up in a legal death trap?

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Saw the thread title and thought you were referring to the itching and burning you've been having.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By musubi

I gotta say @rorie and @alex arguing over which Lethal Weapon was the worst in the series continues to be my favorite piece of content on that site. Actually that whole concept was just awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I can't believe people are still surprised by this. Despite being treated like the redheaded stepchild by Whiskey Media, Anime Vice got and still gets a good flow of traffic, even if the majority of the forum traffic is dedicated to battle threads and the like.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By Bigheart711

Yeah, it was really sad to see it go. Thankfully, I saved all of my important wiki work from there into document files before it disappeared.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Brendan

Goodbye, Screened.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@hailinel said:

@crusader8463 said:

I can't believe people are still surprised by this. Despite being treated like the redheaded stepchild by Whiskey Media, Anime Vice got and still gets a good flow of traffic, even if the majority of the forum traffic is dedicated to battle threads and the like.

I loved anime vice. But once they got rid of John and Gia I left and never went back. When I tried to check in it was always terrible. I don't care for the Tom guy they replace them with. I just found him boring and uninteresting.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys.

Loading Video...

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got on early this morning though. I even logged in. I put so much work into that site. My favorite page was the Marvel Animated Universe page. I spent hours writing that page. It's hard knowing that now it's all gone. I had many forum posts and blogs too. I left the site after Rorie went but I'll always look back on it fondly. It's like I've lost an old friend. Screened was my favorite web site for a very long time. I did check in on it though everyone now and then just to see how things were going.

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Yeah, it was really sad to see it go. Thankfully, I saved all of my important wiki work from there into document files before it disappeared.

A small band of us humble Screened wiki contributors are building a new TV/Film wiki site at wikia.com. It's called To Hollywood and Beyond . It's still in its infancy but slowly taking shape day by day. We managed to save some wiki content. We either transferred our own work or got permission to transfer other's where relevant. I think a lot was still lost though. You are all welcome to join in. I know you're already aware of all this @bigheart711 but I wanted to include you in this response anyway.

Strongbadman47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dammit! I forgot to download all the video features..

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goodbye Screened. I was a member, there.

Next to Dark Horizons which I visit every day, you were my other favorite movie web site.

I'll miss you.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By jakob187

I'm going to miss all of the wiki work that was done there, and the forums had some rad people in them...despite how some of them really hated Giant Bomb.

Nonetheless, raise a glass to the good times and remember all of the people that made that site a reality, an actual thing that didn't suck at one point...and then remember the users that tried to keep the life support going as much as possible while dealing with the executive bullshit of BermanBraun.

*clink*

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

I'm going to miss all of the wiki work that was done there, and the forums had some rad people in them...despite how some of them really hated Giant Bomb.

Why?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FinalDasa  Moderator

@andorski said:
@jakob187 said:

Why?

I know in Screened chat during Happy Hours it was nice to have a slower, calmer chat. Chatting back then on the GB chat was a hassle and often times filled with people continuing the "Brad is leaving" troll or saying untoward things about Sara from ComicVine. I never knew of anyone who hated GB but it was nice to have a little slice of calm.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Sad to see screened gone. I'm just glad I didn't spend hours editing the wiki like some other users did. I can't imagine what it feels like to see all their hard work simply gone. I guess if you like spending time writing wiki articles either do it on a super popular website like Wikipedia or be prepared to see your hard work gone sooner or later.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A handful of users downloaded the videos (I have a good chunk of them on an external hard drive) and Joey said via twitter he has the masters of them. A few are even available on GiantBomb's Youtube channel.

Some users tried to save some of the wiki but most of it, the forums, and everything else are just gone. Maybe they'll sit on a hard drive somewhere in BB and be recovered one day but that's such a small possibility it's borderline ridiculous.

I think what bums me out about it the most is the lost of potential. BermanBraun ran their own entertainment focused Youtube channel and that easily could have been slapped onto Screened to have their own website. Just rename the site, update it a bit, and now those videos have an entire wiki, forum, and everything else in which to work. Would have cost very little to make that a reality.

I always thought the whiskeymedia sites were built on one premise: the wiki. But I do not believe any site other than ComicVine had a strong enough userbase to keep that up. I don't see much potential in Screened; it could no way compete with the established imdb.

But if it's the "giantbomb"-ness of Screened (the personality-focused aspect) that you think has potential, I... don't think it's the same when Screened for me is all Alex and Rorie.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: There were a few slights thrown around within the forums.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@andorski said:
@jakob187 said:

Why?

I know in Screened chat during Happy Hours it was nice to have a slower, calmer chat. Chatting back then on the GB chat was a hassle and often times filled with people continuing the "Brad is leaving" troll or saying untoward things about Sara from ComicVine. I never knew of anyone who hated GB but it was nice to have a little slice of calm.

In the Whiskey Media days, Giant Bomb's chat was quite possibly the worst cesspool of any WM site, chat or forum. Happy Hours were much easier to stomach without the GB chat.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex said:

I saved all my reviews and a few of my feature articles, as well as all the pertinent video features. At least I'll have them somewhere.

Do you think they'll ever go up somewhere?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Yeah. It was mainly stuff like that being said.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Damn, I was going to download all those video features but I totally forgot. Anyone planning on uploading them somewhere?
Could one even legally upload them anywhere? Who's permission would one even need?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@linkster7: The biggest hurdle would be copyright claims. I know that was always a big deal when it was still part of WM, at least on Youtube.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By takashichea
takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@beachthunder said:

@bigheart711 said:

A small band of us humble Screened wiki contributors are building a new TV/Film wiki site at wikia.com. It's called To Hollywood and Beyond . It's still in its infancy but slowly taking shape day by day. We managed to save some wiki content. We either transferred our own work or got permission to transfer other's where relevant. I think a lot was still lost though. You are all welcome to join in. I know you're already aware of all this @bigheart711 but I wanted to include you in this response anyway.

Definitely check To Hollywood and Beyond Wikia. We're continuing the wiki from Screened and keeping it alive.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa Sorry for your lose Duder, you did the best with what you had.