#1 Edited by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

Dude got to sit down and actually play some games for the sake of enjoyment, he's got some pretty interesting things to say about Dishonored and X-Com. I'm hoping this will become a regular feature. I liked the parallel he drew between admiring a painting vs. playing a video game.

EDIT: Am I late to the party RE: Sessler's Soapbox? I just saw this and it describes my opinion on review scores to the letter: http://www.g4tv.com/videos/55954/sesslers-soapbox-i-hate-numbers/#video-59630

#2 Posted by byterunner (319 posts) -

I always enjoyed Sessler when he would just sit down and talk about games. He always looked the most comfortable in those soapboxy ranty videos. And he almost always had something interesting to say

#3 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

the problem with game "criticism" or "journalism" is that they try to act like they're the first people to have thoughts that have come many, many times before to other people.

The thoughts he expresses about avant garde games like Xcom and Dishonored are the same thoughts I had playing Deus Ex: Invisible War, Morrowind and KOTOR on my original Xbox 10 years ago. And it's the same idea I'm sure myself and ohters had playing Xcom the first time around.

Until the zeitgeist wakes up and realizes that games don't evolve, they're trendy and all trends come back around again, game pontification is just a bunch of noise...

#4 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

In other news, I'm glad to see Sessler back in some form and doing things without Morgan Webb. I always hated the way he was forced to play second banana to her on Xplay because he was a man and she was supposed to be "hot" or something...

#5 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

Until the zeitgeist wakes up and realizes that games don't evolve, they're trendy and all trends come back around again, game pontification is just a bunch of noise...

I'd agree with that, but I'd say that goes beyond just games.

@JazGalaxy said:

In other news, I'm glad to see Sessler back in some form and doing things without Morgan Webb. I always hated the way he was forced to play second banana to her on Xplay because he was a man and she was supposed to be "hot" or something...

True, check out the second vid I added in the original post. He's a pretty sharp dude on his own and when he's not trying to put on some kind of act for the show.

#6 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

"avant garde games"

#7 Posted by cannonballBAM (612 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

Well said.

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (8548 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

the problem with game "criticism" or "journalism" is that they try to act like they're the first people to have thoughts that have come many, many times before to other people.

The thoughts he expresses about avant garde games like Xcom and Dishonored are the same thoughts I had playing Deus Ex: Invisible War, Morrowind and KOTOR on my original Xbox 10 years ago. And it's the same idea I'm sure myself and ohters had playing Xcom the first time around.

I'm pretty sure he started that entire section by saying that what Dishonored and XCOM are doing isn't anything new.

"Now to be fair, this is nothing that's brand-new and never-before-seen in game development."

Yep, he totally did.

#9 Posted by Flappy (2352 posts) -

I looooove me some Adam Sessler.

#10 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Sessler's Suffrage... no
Sessler's Sombrero... no, but it is about what's in his head
Sessler's Encephalon...almost, but not quite  

Sessler's Encephalopathy... BINGO!

#11 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@JazGalaxy said:

I'm pretty sure he started that entire section by saying that what Dishonored and XCOM are doing isn't anything new.

"Now to be fair, this is nothing that's brand-new and never-before-seen in game development."

Yep, he totally did.

You're right that he says that, but his comments don't agknowledge it. It's like me saying "now all people are created equal..." and then launching into a racist tirade.

Okay, no thte same at all but the rhetorical principle still holds.

I think any conversation like the one he was attempting to have would have to start with the fact that in the mid-ninties in the PC space, almost ALL games were like the ones he was talking about. It's not that XCom and Dishonored aren't "brand new" it's that one is the spiritual successor to a 10 year old game and the other is a fairly faithful recreation of an almost 20 year old game.

It makes me sound old, I know, but no conversation about almost any subject can be divorced from it's historical context. But for some reason, videogames pretend that history is only the past 5 years or so. Like all the videogames that bring up the "top 10 heroes/villians/babes/endings of all time!" and then only include games from the previous christmas+final fantasy VII and Ocarina of TIme...

#12 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -

i've always admired Sessler's monologues, he's really passionate about the gaming industry.

#13 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

Sessler's Suffrage... no

It rolls right off the tongue.

@JazGalaxy: Yeah I thought he was gonna talk about how PC games aren't totally fucked now, but whatever he still made a good point. The games where emergent and organic choices come through based solely on mechanics are still the best type of games and it does look like we'll be seeing a little bit more of those types of games as people are now starting to bitch about blockbuster games. Until the technology gets to a point where it can do groundbreaking things and we go right back to blockbusters.

#14 Posted by Veektarius (5012 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

Sessler's Suffrage... no

Actually, I like Encephalon better. Both in terms of sound and meaning. He should call it that.