• 137 results
#1 Edited by Boondocks24 (8 posts) -

Sexism isn't really a matter that much people discuss in my city, though i feel it is a really big unnoticed and unimportant topic to most of my peers and loved ones. I only have 1 friend that actually cares about sexism, and she has really opened my eyes to how wrong it is and how very little attention it gets, even in the modern society we have today.

Now when i talk about Sexism, I'm mainly referring to Sexism towards woman, (not saying there isn't some sexism towards men) and how some people, most of which are men, have these "expectations" of woman to be able to clean, take care of the house, make babies and take care of them, which in my opinion is very primitive idea for people to have. Woman don't even get paid as much as men because, as far as i know, of the fact that they are woman, which is total bullshit if that's the only reason. I know in other countries sexism is a big issue, but in the US, sexism has turned into a almost oblivious topic within society, and it is a very overlooked topic by a lot of people, as far as i can tell anyway.

I'd like to see the, people of this website, your ideas on sexism and whether or not you think its an important topic or not.

*P.S Much love to the ladies :)

I'm thankful for all the comments, good or bad, and i know this is a gaming website but i find this website to have more active members then other forum websites, and this is my first post, so thank you :D

by the was i hope you know i read all comments so i am learning a lot from this, thank you for the knowledge!

#2 Posted by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

Bitches be crazy.

#3 Posted by TheHumanDove (2504 posts) -

If I want to marry a sugar momma, I feel like Im a foot soldier in the war against sexism.

Everyone do their part.

#4 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

womEn.

w o m E n!

Anyway, I think inequality of the sexes does still exist (I'm in Australia) in terms of representation in jobs and in wages, but I think this is something that continues to improve. A societal and cultural shift doesn't happen overnight, but as long as it doesn't backslide I think we are fine and it will equal out.

#5 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

WIMMEN BE SHOPPIN'!

#6 Posted by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

I think it's an important issue people shove under the rug to often. Race and gender in this day and age should be a non-issue, the only way for a society to progress is to destroy social boundaries. It makes me sad to think that there are women who are treated as less than a man solely based on their gender, I think the times are changing though, slowly but surely we almost have to make the move to equality.

#7 Posted by wjb (1626 posts) -

Someone wants to get laid!

And I imagine sexism is an issue everywhere.

#8 Posted by Turambar (6641 posts) -

I don't feel the need to echo the predictable answers both above and below need so I'll leave that to the others. Though, I will say, I don't think its a sexist notion to have expectations of women being child bearers. That's more a fact of biology than anything else.

#9 Posted by TheHumanDove (2504 posts) -

@Turambar said:

I don't feel the need to echo the predictable answers both above and below need so I'll leave that to the others. Though, I will say, I don't think its a sexist notion to have expectations of women being child bearers. That's more a fact of biology than anything else.

I predicted your post

#10 Posted by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

@Turambar said:

If men could have babies, I still wouldn't, I'm way to big of a wimp when it comes to pain lol

#11 Posted by gamefreak9 (2336 posts) -

This kind of thinking is bullshit and for ignorant people. Sometimes you gotta read to understand. Read this, if it clicks then come back and post.

#12 Posted by Jay_Ray (1070 posts) -

Insert binders full of women comment here

#13 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I wish I could have a mail order bride. Does that count as sexist?

#14 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4517 posts) -

@Turambar said:

You're not wrong, despite the idea that the OP is calling you sexist for having something called "standards."

I ain't hooking up with no fucking slob.

#15 Posted by Boondocks24 (8 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair: oh yes i do agree to some extent that it is improving, i hope in the next couple of generations, other then the obvious physical and biological differences between men and woman, we will really be treated equally, at least in this country

#16 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Oh, also, OP's broken English while claiming to be American makes me wonder if this is the second coming of falserelic.

I will keep searching!

#17 Posted by TheHumanDove (2504 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Oh, also, OP's broken English while claiming to be American makes me wonder if this is the second coming of falserelic. I will keep searching!

What ever happened to that noble soul?

#18 Posted by Crysack (292 posts) -

It is generally not a good policy to accept the assertions of other people - particularly those who have a vested interest in manipulating you into believing those assertions, without demanding studies or other forms of evidence to back them up.

#19 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4517 posts) -

@Crysack said:

It is generally not a good policy to accept the assertions of other people - particularly those who have a vested interest in manipulating you into believing those assertions, without demanding studies or other forms of evidence to back them up.

/thread

#20 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1504 posts) -

Has a conversation about sexism on a gaming forum ever done anything except devolve into a shitshow of ignorance, misused statistics, resentment and obnoxious contrarianism?

#21 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I think all of your friends care about sexism, not just the one you want to sleep with.

You could argue age is a much greater obstacle for women than men, or that people view unattractive women much more harshly than unattractive men, but I think that sexism in the way you portray it is pretty much gone. And because we have a wonderful thing called divorce and not-arranged marriages, those that believe such things usually end up single. Truth is, far more women are graduating high school and attending college than men, which speaks volumes as to our future state of employment. I don't know where you live, but sexism is talked about kind of all the time, even though, in reality, it is a very small issue, especially compared to issues with say, racial demographics. I guess the issue is very important in say, Pakistan, where there is a literal war on women, but in America, where the biggest issue is whether abortions and birth control are covered by health insurance, it's not much of a problem.

Honestly, most sexism against women comes from feminists who think that stay-at-home moms are overly-dependent traditionalists with no life outside of the one provided by their husband.

#22 Posted by Raven10 (1706 posts) -

Well I can safely say that I do not share your experience. I don't know how old you, but for me college was a major time when I started meeting a lot of feminists. I guess my stance is that I want everyone to have an equal opportunity to do anything they want to do. On the other hand I think some feminists take things too far, too the point where they take men being nice to them as a sign that they think women are weak. Those type of people get annoying fast. I do my best to care for my friends and having a woman tell me they "can do it themselves" just annoys me. I am aware they can do it for themselves. That doesn't mean I'm not going to offer to help. I would do the same for my male friends. And not to get political, but the recent comments from Republicans regarding rape proves that sexism is far from dead, and some of the most sexist people out there run our country.

#23 Posted by gamefreak9 (2336 posts) -

@Red:

Maybe in your world, but in Academia, real feminists exist. The majority of IVY universities for instance have an implicit bar on any kind of research that shows excessive male dominance. Whenever you hear of rape cases, there's hordes of feminists defending the female... this translates to better lawyers for them and all that. To me this is ridiculous, all this bandwagon psychology without proof.

However it is as you said, a concept that is old and untrue by today's standards, in today's world most of the sexism is directed towards men. Women are fine, the only thing that needs to be done is promote guys choice to be stay at home dads, since that yields no respect in comparison to stay at home moms.

I've been reading some papers recently that have some weird conclusions, women live longer than men in developing countries because of war or more dangerous male lifestyles but they live longer in the developed world because the government expenditure on women's health is *10 what it is on men's health. Although this isn't biological proof it is weird statistical proof, the worse thing is that when men might mention these discrepancies they are labeled as sexist.

Also the racist thing definitely exists, though I am not convinced it exists to the extent some people make it out be, there's quite a comprehensive literature about quota pushing that could harm the payoff education for minorities. Signalling in Human capital is a very relevant topic.

#24 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@PandaBear said:

Bitches be crazy.

Bitches is crazy.

Bitch be crazy, bitches is crazy.

Wouldn't that be bitches are crazy?

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (14520 posts) -
#26 Edited by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -
#27 Posted by beeftothetaco (419 posts) -

@wjb said:

Someone wants to get laid!

Oh my god, this.

#28 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

I'll just set up some popcorn here for anyone who wants some. This might get interesting.

#29 Posted by TruthTellah (8418 posts) -

@Boondocks24: What city in America do you live in where sexism is never brought up? Are you talking about it just not being a big topic amongst the kids? That sounds likely, as kids tend to ignore that until late high school and into college. But, as far as adult discussion and news coverage, I haven't found any major place in this nation which doesn't commonly discuss the issues of gender inequality in everyday life.

Sexism has always been an issue in human interaction, and it will continue to be a factor well into the future. As long as people have differences(which they always will), issues will arise around those differences and how people treat one another.

#30 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@rebgav said:

@PandaBear said:

Bitches be crazy.

Bitches is crazy.

Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks.

What is your opinion on whores, Mr. Adachi?

#31 Posted by Ley_Lines (250 posts) -
@Cloudenvy said:

@rebgav said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@rebgav said:

@PandaBear said:

Bitches be crazy.

Bitches is crazy.

Beaches and shores?
#32 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@rebgav said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@rebgav said:

@PandaBear said:

Bitches be crazy.

Bitches is crazy.

You see, what you've done there is... you've failed to pick up on the Dr Dre reference and have come at me with some Jrpg nonsense which... it's just heartbreaking is what it is.

It is the correct path to steer this conversations towards! Way better than some Dr. Dre nonsense!

#33 Posted by Hunter5024 (5511 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@rebgav said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@rebgav said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@rebgav said:

@PandaBear said:

Bitches be crazy.

Bitches is crazy.

You see, what you've done there is... you've failed to pick up on the Dr Dre reference and have come at me with some Jrpg nonsense which... it's just heartbreaking is what it is.

It is the correct path to steer this conversations towards! Way better than some Dr. Dre nonsense!

Dr Dre jrpg! Lets make this happen!

#34 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4904 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@rebgav said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@rebgav said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@rebgav said:

@PandaBear said:

Bitches be crazy.

Bitches is crazy.

Dr Dre jrpg! Lets make this happen!

Funky Student drop a bomb on it!

#35 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

@rebgav said:

@PandaBear said:

Bitches be crazy.

Bitches is crazy.

What sort of madcap backwards-ass language you be speakin'? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...

#36 Posted by Geralt (314 posts) -

Teenage Pakistani school girl got shot for going to school and blogging about it...now that's sexism. Real and ruthless.

Women get paid less than men x.x percent, politically incorrect sexual remarks, how woman was portraited in the gaming industries etc. That's just...you know what I mean.

#37 Posted by SpartyOn (500 posts) -

@Boondocks24: Uhhh, you're crazy if you honestly believe sexism is huge in other countries and ignored here. Women's rights have been a pretty big deal in America for some time now, and the earnings gap between men and women is getting smaller every year. Just look at the election this year, women's rights play a huge role because this country has more female voters than male voters.

Also, having expectations of women is not sexist, it's just an expectation that each male is, hopefully, willing to change based on a woman's wants. Men expect women to be able to clean and cook, and women expect men to be able to fix things and take care of the things they don't want to do, so why is only one of those sexist? Also, women get custody of children in divorce the VAST majority of the time, cannot be drafted into the armed forces, and others solely because they are women. There are things this country still needs to do for women's rights, but saying it is ignored here is crazy.

#38 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@darpa said:

Teenage Pakistani school girl got shot for going to school and blogging about it...now that's sexism. Real and ruthless.

How exactly is that sexist? Was she shot because she was a girl?

#39 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@Dagbiker: There are only three sources and the second source is it's own website. I'm sure this is a very reliable study.

#40 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

Why does this topic exist?

#41 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel: Because falserelic wants to get into some feminist's pants

#42 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

Anyone who believes women are people and deserve the same rights as everyone else (ie: men) is a feminist. I'm a feminist, and probably so are you.

That said, don't support those who would use the banner of feminism (or the threat of being called a misogynist) to try to push their own repressive sexual ideals or self-serving politics. They are not the crusaders of equality they claim to be, they are merely a different spin of fire-and-brimstone preachers, using fear of public shame as a bludgeon to shape the world in their own image.

#43 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

@habster3 said:

@Captain_Felafel: Because falserelic wants to get into some feminist's pants

Which is what every feminist thread on every gaming website is really about. Sorry, the girl at Gamestop isn't going to let you touch her and neither is Anita Sarkeesian

#44 Posted by mystakin (100 posts) -

@SpartyOn said:

Also, having expectations of women is not sexist, it's just an expectation that each male is, hopefully, willing to change based on a woman's wants. Men expect women to be able to clean and cook, and women expect men to be able to fix things and take care of the things they don't want to do, so why is only one of those sexist?

It's not. They both are, but women have very little power in American society compared to men. At face value, both assumptions are sexist stereotypes. However, men are in the fortunate position of controlling most American industries and are better equipped to counteract male stereotypes while propagating female ones -- usually without intent to cause harm.

Neither statement is more sexist than the other; one is just more of a problem.

#45 Posted by Turambar (6641 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

@darpa said:

How exactly is that sexist? Was she shot because she was a girl?

Because she thought girls should be allowed to go to school. The Taliban isn't big on empowering women in any fashion.

#46 Edited by SharkEthic (1003 posts) -

God dammit guys, this again?

#47 Posted by SpartyOn (500 posts) -

@mystakin said:

@SpartyOn said:

Also, having expectations of women is not sexist, it's just an expectation that each male is, hopefully, willing to change based on a woman's wants. Men expect women to be able to clean and cook, and women expect men to be able to fix things and take care of the things they don't want to do, so why is only one of those sexist?

It's not. They both are, but women have very little power in American society compared to men. At face value, both assumptions are sexist stereotypes. However, men are in the fortunate position of controlling most American industries and are better equipped to counteract male stereotypes while propagating female ones -- usually without intent to cause harm.

Neither statement is more sexist than the other; one is just more of a problem.

I agree there are differences, but the claim "women have very little power in American society compared to men" is ridiculous. Today women are CEOs, political candidates, Supreme Court Justices, athletes, and just about anything else you can imagine. Saying they have very little power is undermining the massive progress this country has made in gender equality.

#48 Edited by Turambar (6641 posts) -

This scene seemed relevant. Skip to 4 minutes in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpcBWA1K9Xw

#49 Posted by Kidavenger (3487 posts) -

Everyone has problems, just because you can identify yourself as part of a larger group doesn't entitle you to special treatment.

#50 Posted by Turambar (6641 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

Everyone has problems, just because you can identify yourself as part of a larger group doesn't entitle you to special treatment.

I'd say a lack of job security due to maternity leave is something very unique to women.