• 140 results
#1 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

Hi, as some of you may have seen in my recent post @wrighteous86 and I are going on a road trip to San Francisco this summer. Prices in SF are a bit above our budget, so we've been looking through Air BnB and found a nice looking cottage around Oakland.

I've never heard anything about Oakland myself, but @wrighteous86 is a bit apprehensive as he's heard it's a dangerous area. From the reviews it seems like this cottage is in a nicer part of Oakland, but I wanted to be sure before we booked anything

"A" is where it's located, so does anyone have any idea if this is a safe area or not? Places are selling out fast, so we wanna get it booked as soon as! Also, would it be dangerous to drive to and from SF from here?

Thanks for your help!

#2 Edited by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

I don't know anything about Oakland, but you might check on Trulia. It lets you check crime statistics for different areas.

Edit: Took a quick look myself. That area you marked shows around 6 crimes for the last couple of weeks, compared to hundreds downtown. I'd say it's a relatively safe place. You should be fine driving. You'll mostly be on the highways anyway, and that cottage is right by 580.

#3 Edited by wjb (1662 posts) -

I don't live there, but I've been to Oakland a few times before. It has crime, but nothing too crazy unless you are looking for trouble. But that's everywhere.

Since the cabin is near a country club and park, I think you might be okay.

#4 Edited by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

All of Oakland is pretty dicey. However, (A) is right next to a country club so it may be pretty nice. I highly recommend street viewing that area to get a feel for it.

I don't see why it wouldn't be safe to drive to/from SF from there. It's not that far (actually it is a lot closer than I realized).

EDIT: Make sure you have cash. I am pretty sure Eisenhower has a toll on it.

#5 Edited by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

Well shoot, I just compared that area to where I live, and there's substantially less crime near that cottage. I've never felt unsafe here in Madison, so you should be totally fine.

#6 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

The only thing I know about Oakland -

#7 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3388 posts) -
@wjb said:

I don't live there, but I've been to Oakland a few times before. It has crime, but nothing too crazy unless you are looking for trouble. But that's everywhere.

Since the cabin is near a country club and park, I think you might be okay.

Same, have family who live in Oakland and been there a few times when I was younger. Just make sure you aren't out too late and don't look at anyone sideways. Cottage in Oakland, heck Kreyshawn's from Oak-town so how dangerous can that city be really. You mentioned in your other post the both of you are traveling from Chicago, I think Chicago is a far more dangerous city compared to Oakland depending on what side you live on, though that's how it is for most major cities.

#8 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

@i_stay_puft: I visited Oakland once myself, now that I think about it. I was there for a family reunion. I walked around Lake Merritt with my cousins. It's on the other side of the city from where they are staying, but it didn't seem particularly in the daytime.

#9 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

Oakland has the third highest crime rate in the US...

#10 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3388 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

@i_stay_puft: I visited Oakland once myself, now that I think about it. I was there for a family reunion. I walked around Lake Merritt with my cousins. It's on the other side of the city from where they are staying, but it didn't seem particularly in the daytime.

When I was 13 I stayed with my auntie and her family. First night heard gunshots after that not so much. That night was properly introduced to Half-Life One by my cousin so gunshots and Gordon Freeman have become synonymous with each other.

#11 Edited by gpbmike (864 posts) -
#12 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3388 posts) -

Could also grab a police scanner and stay away from the bad guys.

#13 Edited by Ben_H (3360 posts) -

Just watch out for Too $hort.

#14 Posted by bagrm (52 posts) -
#16 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Used to live in Alameda here, I'd stay away from Oakland if I were you. I've seen and experienced a lot of bad shit there, and I generally tried to avoid it best I could. The hills are fine usually (eastern section of the city), but be careful anywhere else.

#17 Edited by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I checked out the crime rates and they don't look worrying in that area *touch wood*. From Google Street view it looks like a quiet cul-de-sac. We'll just be sure not to drive around downtown late at night and keep the doors locked.

@i_stay_puft: The thought of guns terrifies me. I'm sure they scare everyone, but being a quiet, little Brit that's never heard a real gun shot I'd probably hide under the bed for the whole trip if I heard some. First thing my mum told me when I said I was going to the US was "Be careful! They have guns there!!"

It's a cute little cottage though, and the reviews look really promising, so we are going to book it.

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

#18 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@duskvamp said:

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I checked out the crime rates and they don't look worrying in that area *touch wood*. From Google Street view it looks like a quiet cul-de-sac. We'll just be sure not to drive around downtown late at night and keep the doors locked.

@i_stay_puft: The thought of guns terrifies me. I'm sure they scare everyone, but being a quiet, little Brit that's never heard a real gun shot I'd probably hide under the bed for the whole trip if I heard some. First thing my mum told me when I said I was going to the US was "Be careful! They have guns there!!"

It's a cute little cottage though, and the reviews look really promising, so we are going to book it.

The vast majority of gun violence is from gangs. You don't really have anything to worry about . . . unless you randomly stumble into a gang war.

#19 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

@duskvamp said:

*touch wood*.

hehehehehe

do you mean knock on wood?

#20 Posted by jediknight00719 (140 posts) -

@duskvamp:

15 years ago when i moved from Australia to US, all my australian friends would scare me saying "all kids in school have guns, you better get ready." It scared the shit out of me. You will very rarely see any guns here.

As a bay area resident for 8 years (4 years in berkeley, 4 in SF), certain parts of Oakland are ok others are bad. One thing to note is try to avoid walking around Oakland at night. East Oakland is the area which gives Oakland the bad rap. Avoid that area. Downtown Oakland is ok during the day because there are lot of business people around. North Oakland (Pidemont) is also ok during the day.

I can't quite understand where exactly the location is from your map but it looks like its in the hills. Oakland hills should be ok. Lot of rich families stay there. Hopfully you have a car to travel. If you plan on taking public transportation, you should find a place that is closer to the bart (the bay area subway Vinny keeps talking about).

#21 Edited by Rorie (2898 posts) -
@mcghee said:

@duskvamp said:

The vast majority of gun violence is from gangs. You don't really have anything to worry about . . . unless you randomly stumble into a gang war.

Unfortunately the new thing in the Bay Area is for people to walk up to someone, ask "You in a gang?" and then shoot them before they can even respond. That might be more of a SF thing, though.

Staff
#22 Edited by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

I thought all of California is a giant, perpetual gang war.

#23 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@rorie said:
@mcghee said:

@duskvamp said:

Unfortunately the new thing in the Bay Area is for people to walk up to someone, ask "You in a gang?" and then shoot them before they can even respond. That might be more of a SF thing, though.

Is that actually in the news? Because that reeks of urban legend. Reminds me of this: http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/lightsout.asp

#24 Posted by Fattony12000 (7410 posts) -

Not dishing out that sweet XGAL relationship advice is the true crime here.

#25 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

I thought all of California is a giant, perpetual gang war.

Yeah, ever since the great earth quake of '97 that caused us to split away from the rest of the country.

#26 Posted by Angouri (231 posts) -

Yeah, just don't walk alone and in places that look even remotely shady. It has a decent nightlife too for those stuck in the East Bay. Also, get used to seeing the droves of homeless that occupy the Bay area; freaked me out when I first moved here.

#27 Edited by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

NO PART OF OAKLAND IS SAFE FROM THE WRATH OF RAIDER NATION.

#28 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@jams said:

@duskvamp said:

*touch wood*.

hehehehehe

That's how she (or they?) say it. I'm used to it.

@rorie: Sorry for the double question. I sent you the PM before she thought to make this thread. Appreciate the help!

@fattony12000 said:

Not dishing out that sweet XGAL relationship advice is the true crime here.

We need more questions!

Giant Bomb Xtreme Girl Advice Line, everybody. Get on it!

#29 Edited by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

@rorie said:
@mcghee said:

Hopefully I don't look like I'd be part of a gang... What colours should I avoid wearing?

@mcghee said:

Knowing me I would, it would be like a scene from Bridget Jones's Diary. (Not that I've seen it, but that's the impression I get)

@angouri said:

Yeah, just don't walk alone and in places that look even remotely shady. It has a decent nightlife too for those stuck in the East Bay. Also, get used to seeing the droves of homeless that occupy the Bay area; freaked me out when I first moved here.

I was shocked by the amount of homeless people I saw in Chicago!

#30 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Lived in SF for about 3 months, but I stayed in Oakland for 3 days before moving to SF. Since I didn't stay very long in either area I can't really judge too well, but I found Oakland to be much safer than SF.

#31 Edited by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

Everybody becomes a victim of a crime eventually, might as well get it over with as soon as possible.

I'm just kidding though, I mean no offense to the beatiful place that is Oakland.

#32 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1789 posts) -

Oakland isn't as bad as people may make it out to be. I've never felt threatened. Now Richmond... that's a different story.

Also, yeah, enjoy the waves of homeless people.

#33 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

You're gonna get shanked.

#34 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4802 posts) -

Oakland is full of criminals and San Francisco is full of crazy homeless people. You're kinda fucked either way.

#35 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@jams said:

@duskvamp said:

*touch wood*.

hehehehehe

That's how she (or they?) say it. I'm used to it.

Kudos! I know I would certainly not be mature enough to be able to get used to it.

#36 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

@jams said:

@duskvamp said:

*touch wood*.

I'm used to it.

HEHEHE You guys are definitely going to have a good time ;)

#37 Edited by golguin (3927 posts) -

@rorie said:
@mcghee said:

@duskvamp said:

Me and my cousin were approached by a guy who was driving by and stopped his car to see if we were members of a rival gang. He asked if we gang banged and what area we came from. We figured he had to have had a gun on him because any one of us would have been enough to smash this guy's face in. After a minute he decided we weren't in a gang and got in his car and left. This happened about a year ago.

It's stuff like that which makes me hope that for a law that allows for gang members to be killed on site by police. If they were as persistent in doing their job as they were with catching Chiristopher Dorner where it didn't matter if they shot up two women then our society would be a better place.

#38 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Nowhere is safe.

#39 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@golguin said:

@rorie said:
@mcghee said:

@duskvamp said:

Me and my cousin were approached by a guy who was driving by and stopped his car to see if we were members of a rival gang. He asked if we gang banged and what area we came from. We figured he had to have had a gun on him because any one of us would have been enough to smash this guy's face in. After a minute he decided we weren't in a gang and got in his car and left. This happened about a year ago.

It's stuff like that which makes me hope that for a law that allows for gang members to be killed on site by police. If they were as persistent in doing their job as they were with catching Chiristopher Dorner where it didn't matter if they shot up two women then our society would be a better place.

This might seriously be the dumbest fucking thing I've read at least 10 internet days. Let's give police executioner powers, like they don't shoot enough people already. Jesus Fucking Christ.

#40 Posted by golguin (3927 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@golguin said:

@rorie said:
@mcghee said:

@duskvamp said:

This might seriously be the dumbest fucking thing I've read at least 10 internet days. Let's give police executioner powers, like they don't shoot enough people already. Jesus Fucking Christ.

How many people have you seen killed in front of you?

#41 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -
@golguin said:

@mcghee said:

@golguin said:

@rorie said:
@mcghee said:

@duskvamp said:

What's even the point of this stupid question?

#42 Edited by golguin (3927 posts) -

I would prefer it gang members didn't kill people on my street in front of me and my surrounding area. Do you know what it's like to live in an area where you have to watch people and wonder if they're going to pull out a gun and shoot someone?

#43 Posted by golguin (3927 posts) -

@mcghee said:
@golguin said:

@mcghee said:

@golguin said:

@rorie said:
@mcghee said:

@duskvamp said:

What's even the point of this stupid question?

The point is how someone comes to the conclusion that gang members should be killed on site. I'd prefer it if they didn't exist in my area. If they could pick up and move to another city I'd be fine with that since you seem to be against killing them outright.

#44 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@golguin:

Wouldn't it be hilarious then for a known gang member to look somewhat like you and for the police to role up on you as you walk down the street and pump you full of holes "on site?" What you are saying is so ludicrous I feel like I am getting trolled and there is no point in discussing this anyway.

#45 Posted by golguin (3927 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@golguin:

Wouldn't it be hilarious then for a known gang member to look somewhat like you and for the police to role up on you as you walk down the street and pump you full of holes "on site?" What you are saying is so ludicrous I feel like I am getting trolled and there is no point in discussing this anyway.

I don't think it would be funny. You never answered my question about seeing people killed in front of you. Have you ever seen real gang members with your own two eyes in person? I'm not talking about people wearing saggy pants and a wife beater. I'm talking about confirmed gang members.

Before you ask how you "confirm" if someone is a gang member please refrain from asking such a question.

#46 Posted by Slag (4376 posts) -

@duskvamp: @wrighteous86 unfortunately has good reason to be concerned about Oakland. I'd mos def definitely stay away from downtown. Occupy Oakland went a lot differently than Occupy Wall Street did for a lot of reasons. I wouldn't go in the upper deck at A's games either if you are thinking catching a major league baseball game. Some bad things happen in the Oakland Colosseum once you get away from security. A's games are not nearly as well attended as Raiders games which makes it kind of no man's land up there. You're better off paying the higher ticket price and going to a Giants game.

I've been to Oakland a fair amount of times, never had anything bad happen to me personally, but I've always been with locals who knew the area well. Strangers definitely have no problem getting in your face there, whether it to hustle you or solicit you or ask you really unnerving stuff. It's a place that can feel rough and like the 'hood. It's probably not actually that dangerous, it just has a negative and confrontational vibe to the place, which can be scary if you're not used to it know how to handle it.

One thing general about the Bay area is the homeless tend to be unusually aggressive there. One scam in particular I'd see involves on street parking. Parking is at a premium in SF (there's something like 3 cars to every spot in the city) and what a lot of those guys will do (or used to last time I was there) is camp out in unused street spots. They will then "valet" you into it and demand a tip. If you don't tip expect to find your windows smashed out and your stereo gone when you return.

I'm sure 99% of time Oakland is fine just like most places are. If you do go, just mind your own business and don't dally about on the street. Also definitely don't leave any stuff in your car in plain sight.

Have you guys looked at San Jose and Palo Alto areas? little further away from SF than Oakland but not terrible maybe you can find something cheaper there. East Palo Alto can be rough as well, just an fyi

#47 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@golguin said:

@mcghee said:

@golguin:

I don't think it would be funny. You never answered my question about seeing people killed in front of you. Have you ever seen real gang members with your own two eyes in person? I'm not talking about people wearing saggy pants and a wife beater. I'm talking about confirmed gang members.

Before you ask how you "confirm" if someone is a gang member please refrain from asking such a question.

How do you "confirm" someone is a gang member?

#48 Edited by Raven10 (1789 posts) -

You survived Chicago so I can't imagine Oakland being any worse. My advice after living on the South Side of Chicago:

1. Always make sure you walk with Wrighthouse. Don't under any circumstance walk alone at night, either in Oakland or San Fransisco.

2. If you use a smartphone or other expensive electronic device don't use it while walking at night.

3. Don't walk with headphones on.

4. Most importantly, if someone demands your wallet or any other possession give it to them. Nothing you own is worth dying for. It can all be replaced.

And, yea, there are a ton of homeless people in both San Fransisco and Chicago. Just be polite to them if they insist on talking to you. Your best bet is just to completely ignore them. Avoid eye contact at all costs. Once you lock eyes with them they know you have seen them. Just stare ahead and keep walking and most will move on.

#49 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

@golguin said:

@mcghee said:

@golguin:

I know exactly what you're talking about. It can be pretty unnerving day to day wondering if some fucker is going to roll up on you and that's it. I grew up with some Mexican kids that were in gangs and I was friends with some of them and cool with others. I was lucky since I was a white kid they were actually super nice to me (at least it made them not have to worry about me being in a gang). I even got in some fights myself and some would come back me up.

If they saw another Mexican they didn't recognize then here comes the puffed out chest, mad dogging and who do you roll with shit.

I saw a guy get his head bashed in by another guy at my school. That fucker was out to kill. Once that one kid hit the floor the other one aimed for his head and started kicking as hard as he could. I don't even know if they've ever met each other before that day. All I know is only one guy made it out alive.

#50 Edited by Slag (4376 posts) -

@raven10 said:

You survived Chicago so I can't imagine Oakland being any worse. My advice after living on the South Side of Chicago:

1. Always make sure you walk with Wrighthouse. Don't under any circumstance walk alone at night, either in Oakland or San Fransisco.

2. If you use a smartphone or other expensive electronic device don't use it while walking at night.

3. Don't walk with headphones on.

4. Most importantly, if someone demands your wallet or any other possession give it to them. Nothing you own is worth dying for. It can all be replaced.

And, yea, there are a ton of homeless people in both San Fransisco and Chicago. Just be polite to them if they insist on talking to you. Your best bet is just to completely ignore them. Avoid eye contact at all costs. Once you lock eyes with them they know you have seen them. Just stare ahead and keep walking and most will move on.

@duskvamp this ^, is good advice for any US urban environment.