• 141 results
#51 Posted by Blackout62 (1412 posts) -

Well good job everyone. We've probably just scared duskvamp out of the greater Bay Area. Cause of you all they're going to have to deal with a drab property closer to Santa Cruz than San Francisco for fear of being shanked or mobbed by hobos.

#52 Edited by Gruebacca (571 posts) -

As a general rule, almost all violent crime is contained within the freeways. As long as you aren't spending too much time in there, I'd tell you not to worry too much. Parts of Oakland are very beautiful, and other parts are not, so know where you are at all times.

Also, never go out at night.

#53 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Shouldn't you have more balls coming from, ya know, CHICAGO? I think you'd find the change a positive one, lol. If you know how to be careful in Chicago, you should be okay in a place like Oakland.

That being said, I'm glad I live in Seattle. For being such a big city, you can just hang out at almost any time day or night and never really feel like trouble will find you unless you look for it as long as you are actually in the city proper, not in some weird port area or whatever.

Not that I'd really probably give a fuck either way, I've always thought most people were pretty paranoid about big cities. They aren't that scary, generally.

#54 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3823 posts) -

@wrighteous86 said:

@jams said:

@duskvamp said:

*touch wood*.

hehehehehe

do you mean knock on wood?

That's how she (or they?) say it. I'm used to it.

Kudos! I know I would certainly not be mature enough to be able to get used to it.

I still giggle and come up with a dirty response in my head every time if that makes you feel better.

@raven10 said:

1. Always make sure you walk with Wrighthouse. Don't under any circumstance walk alone at night, either in Oakland or San Fransisco.

Oh God. Can I change my name to Wrighthouse? Cuz that is waaaaaaay better.

#55 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3828 posts) -

This page got depressing, here's hoping for a safe trip to you both. Just be on guard and I think you folks will be fine.

Do people still ghost ride the whip in Oakland or have I just outdated myself...?

#56 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6403 posts) -

I don't go to Oakland too often (I mostly go exclusively to San Francisco) but DO NOT go to Fruitvale. DO NOT.

#57 Posted by Darkstorn (472 posts) -

Oakland resident here.

People are massively overblowing how dangerous the city is. I walk around Oakland every day on my commute, and I've talked to my fair share of nice homeless people (never been ripped off, just be polite and give them a nod and you're good). My only advice is to avoid East Oakland and Fruitvale, it's pretty ghetto there but I assume you don't have business there.

My landlord is very paranoid about crime and has cameras and locks all over his property but has had zero property crimes, ever. Oakland is just a working class city with many diverse influences, I think you'll like it!

There are definitely some nice parts of the city. The hills are crime-free but have less character I find. I recommend visiting Piedmont, Lake Merritt, and Temescal. San Francisco is quite ritzy, the only legitimately seedy districts are the Tenderloin (just southwest of downtown) and Hunter's Point. Hit up Haight-Ashbury when you're in SF for sure.

Again, homeless people are too weak and drugged out to be very aggressive. Crime isn't the defining factor of Oakland, it's the ethnic diversity and incredibly nice people! Let me know if you have any specific questions!

#58 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2435 posts) -

How have I been able to live in the bay area all my life and not known there is an area called Fruitvale?

#59 Posted by Raven10 (1925 posts) -

@wrighteous86: Well I don't know how I managed to write that but I think it is a quite nice name myself.

#60 Edited by Humanity (10141 posts) -

Internet couple found dead in Oakland, officials say: same ol' same ol'

#61 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@golguin said:

@mcghee said:

@golguin:

Wouldn't it be hilarious then for a known gang member to look somewhat like you and for the police to role up on you as you walk down the street and pump you full of holes "on site?" What you are saying is so ludicrous I feel like I am getting trolled and there is no point in discussing this anyway.

I don't think it would be funny. You never answered my question about seeing people killed in front of you. Have you ever seen real gang members with your own two eyes in person? I'm not talking about people wearing saggy pants and a wife beater. I'm talking about confirmed gang members.

Before you ask how you "confirm" if someone is a gang member please refrain from asking such a question.

How do you "confirm" someone is a gang member?

This conversation is one of the most ludicrous things I've read on Giant Bomb. OF COURSE it's OK for police to murder people indiscriminately. I mean, we have somebody in the thread who has seen a gang member before!

#62 Posted by Carryboy (751 posts) -

Fuck you knock on wood bullshit, touch wood is where its at.

Also I'm sure Oakland will be fine but be careful they have guns over there.

#63 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

@carryboy said:

Fuck you knock on wood bullshit, touch wood is where its at.

Also I'm sure Oakland will be fine but be careful they have guns over there.

Hit me up if you ever need any wood to touch.

#64 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@golguin said:

@mcghee said:

@golguin:

Wouldn't it be hilarious then for a known gang member to look somewhat like you and for the police to role up on you as you walk down the street and pump you full of holes "on site?" What you are saying is so ludicrous I feel like I am getting trolled and there is no point in discussing this anyway.

I don't think it would be funny. You never answered my question about seeing people killed in front of you. Have you ever seen real gang members with your own two eyes in person? I'm not talking about people wearing saggy pants and a wife beater. I'm talking about confirmed gang members.

Before you ask how you "confirm" if someone is a gang member please refrain from asking such a question.

How do you "confirm" someone is a gang member?

This conversation is one of the most ludicrous things I've read on Giant Bomb. OF COURSE it's OK for police to murder people indiscriminately. I mean, we have somebody in the thread who has seen a gang member before!

Thank you for this. I had started to wonder if I had stumbled into a dumbass bizarro world.

#65 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

@slag: Neither of us are really sports fans, so games like that shouldn't be a problem for us. So far we're not planning on spending any time in Oakland, every morning just driving down to SF and back in the evening. Wrighteous is really nervous about it being a dangerous drive though, and hopefully we'll be okay parking during the day I don't think I'd ever trust a valet. We decided to go ahead and book that cottage, it's in the hills and has had a lot of great reviews so I'm hoping we made the right decision!

@raven10: Thank you for your advice. I'm planning on moving to Chicago next summer, last time I visited there was only one time where I felt unsafe so I'm hoping that I'll feel safe the majority of the time.

#66 Edited by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

@gruebacca: According to those stats, the area we're in should be fine. We definitely won't be going anywhere late at night.

@i_stay_puft: I wish that all gangs were just like that, then they'd be adorable.

@darkstorn: If you look on the map, we are technically in the East, is that not the area you mean though? I hope not.

@humanity: Thank you for the encouraging words...

#67 Posted by Humanity (10141 posts) -

@duskvamp: A secluded cottage in the hills in one of Americas worse places to ever be in. I'm sure you guys will be fine! If anything, scars make for awfully interesting stories.

#68 Edited by Carryboy (751 posts) -

@humanity: @duskvamp:

Hey come on now Humanity that's a little harsh it cant be that bad I mean look Oakland wins this competition.

Oakland is a winner.

#69 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3823 posts) -
@carryboy said:

Hey come on now Humanity that's a little harsh it cant be that bad I mean look Oakland wins this competition.

Oakland is a winner.

Where were you guys yesterday when I kept telling her we shouldn't stay in Oakland? Next year: Detroit!

#70 Edited by Humanity (10141 posts) -

@carryboy said:

Oakland is a winner.

Where were you guys yesterday when I kept telling her we shouldn't stay in Oakland? Next year: Detroit!

Dunno dude, you guys asked "hey how about Oakland?" and people said "yah man Oakland is a shithole" to which your consensus apparently was - ok well we're e staying in Oakland then.

Listen I'm sure nothing will happen, but any place where people adamantly insist you don't go out at night seems like somewhere you don't want to be. I live in New York City and when I used to party a bit harder I'd be coming home on trains half drunk at 3-5am never having to worry about anything apart from trains running express only which was infuriating.

#71 Edited by Raven10 (1925 posts) -

@duskvamp: As someone who lived in Chicago for five years, I have to say that the only time I've ever felt unsafe was in San Fransisco at night. The homeless in Chicago aren't nearly as desperate as some of the people in San Fransisco. I was staying in a hotel just a couple streets down from a Hilton and I'm pretty sure at least one person got murdered on the street below me during my stay.

My advice for Chicago - never ride on the red line past Roosevelt at any time. Never ride past Jackson past dark. Don't carry enough money to buy any drugs unless you are actually planning on buying drugs. The best way to get a drug dealer to leave you alone at 3 in the morning is to really not have the money for the drugs. There is a homeless dude on the blue line who rides it every day all day. He always has the best stories about how terrible his life is, complete with props. He is not actually going to die anytime soon, or at least he hasn't died over the past six years. Just ignore him and anyone else who solicits you on public transportation. It is illegal. Finally, some homeless will try and help you get a taxi or carry your bag into a taxi. This is especially true around big train stations. They will ask for a tip once they have helped you. Don't give them one. What they are doing is illegal but feel free to let them carry your bag and hail a taxi for you. They won't steal your stuff and the look on their faces when you ignore their demand for payment is priceless.

Also, eat at Harold's Chicken Shack at least once. Also eat at The Longman and Eagle at least once. The latter is one of the most acclaimed restaurants in the world and it is actually not that expensive. There is a movie theater close by to that which still shows movies on a film projector from the 60's or so. There is only one screen and it is one of the coolest little theaters I have ever been to. Since it will most likely be closed down next year when studios switch to full digital projection you should try and get there before it is gone. If Wicked is still playing at the Oriental Theater you should see it. Amazing musical.

#72 Posted by Carryboy (751 posts) -

@carryboy said:

Oakland is a winner.

#73 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3823 posts) -

@humanity said:

@wrighteous86 said:
@carryboy said:

Oakland is a winner.

Dunno dude, you guys asked "hey how about Oakland?" and people said "yah man Oakland is a shithole" to which your consensus apparently was - ok well we're e staying in Oakland then.

Listen I'm sure nothing will happen, but any place where people adamantly insist you don't go out at night seems like somewhere you don't want to be. I live in New York City and when I used to party a bit harder I'd be coming home on trains half drunk at 3-5am never having to worry about anything apart from trains running express only which was infuriating.

Hey don't lump me in with that. I'm STILL on the anti-Oakland side. I feel safe in Chicago too at almost all hours of the night (in the right neighborhoods), but yeah, Oakland seems pretty rough. Even the "nice" areas.

Guess I'll just have to make the best of it... and drive slouched in my seat.

#74 Edited by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@wrighteous86 said:

@jams said:

@duskvamp said:

*touch wood*.

hehehehehe

do you mean knock on wood?

That's how she (or they?) say it. I'm used to it.

Kudos! I know I would certainly not be mature enough to be able to get used to it.

I still giggle and come up with a dirty response in my head every time if that makes you feel better.

Actually it doesn't. I thought you were supposed to be the mature one round these parts. If that's not the case, then who is it? Who's flying this plane?

#75 Posted by Humanity (10141 posts) -

@humanity said:

@wrighteous86 said:
@carryboy said:

Oakland is a winner.

Hey don't lump me in with that. I'm STILL on the anti-Oakland side. I feel safe in Chicago too at almost all hours of the night (in the right neighborhoods), but yeah, Oakland seems pretty rough. Even the "nice" areas.

Guess I'll just have to make the best of it... and drive slouched in my seat.

Sounds like you guys should call the Relationship Advice line and sort this out! So either call her or txt her asking to call you.

#76 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3823 posts) -

@pyromagnestir: Eh, I think @jasonr86 is the new "go to" mature guy. So let's go with that.

@humanity: Haha, the one relationship I can't fix. The irony.

To be fair, it does seem like we're in a nice area of Oakland (or as nice as it can be), near a private school and a country club. And we're just a block or two off the 580 which will take us directly to San Fran (meaning not much driving through potentially sketchy neighborhoods), so hopefully my biggest worry will be paying the toll both ways every day.

#77 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

@humanity said:

@wrighteous86 said:
@carryboy said:

Oakland is a winner.

I asked "Is this part of Oakland safe?" to which the general consensus was yes, we're no where near the areas pointed out to us to avoid and the crime rates in that area are low. I've stated that we won't be visiting Oakland and won't be out in Oakland late at night, just driving through to get to SF everyday. People are adamant that I never go outside at night by myself, which I think would be the advice for any woman in a big urban environment. Unless you'd say its perfectly safe for a 5"2, 108 lb young girl to stumble around New York at 3-5am drunk and only have to worry about trains?

#78 Edited by Carryboy (751 posts) -

@duskvamp said:

@humanity said:

@wrighteous86 said:
@carryboy said:

Oakland is a winner.

I asked "Is this part of Oakland safe?" to which the general consensus was yes, we're no where near the areas pointed out to us to avoid and the crime rates in that area are low. I've stated that we won't be visiting Oakland and won't be out in Oakland late at night, just driving through to get to SF everyday. People are adamant that I never go outside at night by myself, which I think would be the advice for any woman in a big urban environment. Unless you'd say its perfectly safe for a 5"2, 108 lb young girl to stumble around New York at 3-5am drunk and only have to worry about trains?

My goodness at 108 lb I'd be worried to go outside in case a brisk wind came and blew me away.

#79 Edited by golguin (4064 posts) -

@jams said:

@golguin said:

@mcghee said:

@golguin:

I know exactly what you're talking about. It can be pretty unnerving day to day wondering if some fucker is going to roll up on you and that's it. I grew up with some Mexican kids that were in gangs and I was friends with some of them and cool with others. I was lucky since I was a white kid they were actually super nice to me (at least it made them not have to worry about me being in a gang). I even got in some fights myself and some would come back me up.

If they saw another Mexican they didn't recognize then here comes the puffed out chest, mad dogging and who do you roll with shit.

I saw a guy get his head bashed in by another guy at my school. That fucker was out to kill. Once that one kid hit the floor the other one aimed for his head and started kicking as hard as he could. I don't even know if they've ever met each other before that day. All I know is only one guy made it out alive.

That's essentially what I'm talking about. I'm sure that guy @mcghee has led a pretty cushy life if he thinks gang members shouldn't be disposed of in the quickest way. Once you've seen people killed right in front of you and have had friends shot for no reason you'd sing a different tune. It always amazing me how people can't understand something like "snitches get stitches" when they live in a nice neighborhood with real police protection. They don't understand that there are areas in the US where you have to be conscience of everyone around you so you don't accidentally look at someone the wrong way and end up getting hurt.

#80 Edited by Humanity (10141 posts) -

@duskvamp: Yah pretty much. Unless you're going into the Bronx then you have nothing to really worry about. I've seen a ton of single. 108lb white female waiting on the same subway platforms with me at 5am just getting home after a busy night. It's not that dangerous.

#81 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

@golguin said:

That's essentially what I'm talking about. I'm sure that guy @mcghee has led a pretty cushy life if he thinks gang members shouldn't be disposed of in the quickest way. Once you've seen people killed right in front of you and have had friends shot for no reason you'd sing a different tune. It always amazing me how people can't understand something like "snitches get stitches" when they live in a nice neighborhood with real police protection. They don't understand that there are areas in the US where you have to be conscience of everyone around you so you don't accidentally look at someone the wrong way and end up getting hurt.

I particularly hate "snitches get stitches" because that's a real thing where I grew up. I never thought that term was funny to say because I've actually seen somebody get jumped by a couple of guys for "snitching". In fact it was a rumor and may or may not have actually been true. They jumped him anyways.

#82 Posted by Castiel (2750 posts) -

Fuck this thread makes USA sound like one scary place to live. There isn't too much violence in Denmark, or atleast that's how it used to be, it has become a litlle worse over the years unfortunately because of gang shootings, but USA just sounds scary.

#83 Posted by golguin (4064 posts) -

@jams said:

@golguin said:

I particularly hate "snitches get stitches" because that's a real thing where I grew up. I never thought that term was funny to say because I've actually seen somebody get jumped by a couple of guys for "snitching". In fact it was a rumor and may or may not have actually been true. They jumped him anyways.

My family has always reported gang activity unless it's obvious that only the people living in my house would know that a particular thing happened. Cops would be called and sometimes the cops would actually come to see what's happening. It feels like most times they'd just ignore it since they already know what's happening.

#84 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

@golguin said:

@jams said:

@golguin said:

@mcghee said:

@golguin:

I know exactly what you're talking about. It can be pretty unnerving day to day wondering if some fucker is going to roll up on you and that's it. I grew up with some Mexican kids that were in gangs and I was friends with some of them and cool with others. I was lucky since I was a white kid they were actually super nice to me (at least it made them not have to worry about me being in a gang). I even got in some fights myself and some would come back me up.

If they saw another Mexican they didn't recognize then here comes the puffed out chest, mad dogging and who do you roll with shit.

I saw a guy get his head bashed in by another guy at my school. That fucker was out to kill. Once that one kid hit the floor the other one aimed for his head and started kicking as hard as he could. I don't even know if they've ever met each other before that day. All I know is only one guy made it out alive.

Yeaaaaaaaaaa. I get the whole "gangsters are the scum of the earth and deserve to die" thing somewhat. But really though this is just a terrible idea for a multitude of reasons.

1. The harmful effects on the minds of the witnesses of this. Witnessing things like murders can have extremely detrimental effects on the mental health of those that witness it.

2. Increased violence against police. If the police start shooting the gangs start shooting back. I HAVE seen a shootout between police and gang members before and if an officer shoots their friend and is going to shoot them too the gang members wont just sit there and take it. Not only that but If somebody kills a bangers brother then that dude will try and get revenge, especially if they know the police will do the same thing to them if they see them.

3. This could also evolve into massive wars between police and gangs. And the gangs generally would get the first shot off, considering the police would be driving around in cruisers and most of the time wearing uniforms.

4. It could also quite possibly raise racial tensions quite a bit because the vast majority of gang members are minorities and we really dont need to go to a minorities vs. whites situation again in this country.

I'm not saying gangs are a good thing. But the notion that police should just shoot gang members on sight is completely ludicrous.

#85 Posted by Jimbo (10008 posts) -

Can I have your stuff?

#86 Posted by golguin (4064 posts) -

@kishan6 said:

@golguin said:

@jams said:

@golguin said:

@mcghee said:

@golguin:

Yeaaaaaaaaaa. I get the whole "gangsters are the scum of the earth and deserve to die" thing somewhat. But really though this is just a terrible idea for a multitude of reasons.

1. The harmful effects on the minds of the witnesses of this. Witnessing things like murders can have extremely detrimental effects on the mental health of those that witness it.

2. Increased violence against police. If the police start shooting the gangs start shooting back. I HAVE seen a shootout between police and gang members before and if an officer shoots their friend and is going to shoot them too the gang members wont just sit there and take it. Not only that but If somebody kills a bangers brother then that dude will try and get revenge, especially if they know the police will do the same thing to them if they see them.

3. This could also evolve into massive wars between police and gangs. And the gangs generally would get the first shot off, considering the police would be driving around in cruisers and most of the time wearing uniforms.

4. It could also quite possibly raise racial tensions quite a bit because the vast majority of gang members are minorities and we really dont need to go to a minorities vs. whites situation again in this country.

I'm not saying gangs are a good thing. But the notion that police should just shoot gang members on sight is completely ludicrous.

The reasons you listed are exactly why we need to get rid of gang bangers. You don't have to kill them on the street in some shootout. You can start with those that are already in jail. Police should worry less about their safety and what their actions would cause and more about how their inaction has breed gang activity. Your reasoning is exactly why cops stay out of areas that are known gang hideouts. They don't want to get shot it. Isn't it their job to get rid of those gangs to make it safe for people that actually live there?

#87 Edited by Johnnboy2000 (115 posts) -

Ok after reading all the comments I notices there where very few post from people who are from the Bay Area. I lived in the Bay Area my whole life and I have spent some time in the land of oak and where u are staying up more In the Hills u don't have anything too worry about Oakland has somewhat of a Economic defied you will have lots of Crime in east Oakland and downtown but up Towards the Oakland hills you will have Multimillion dollar homes and the crime is much lower.the city has gotten a bad Reputation but it is really a Beautiful city with a lot of Culture. Keep in mined that UC Berkeley one of the top schools in the Country is in the same area one side of a street your in Oakland then when you cross that street your in Berkeley it's that closes . Like any big Metropole city there are good and bad parts, use your Common sense and you'll be fine. I'm Excited to have you come and see the Beauty of the Bay Area it is truly a one of a kind place.

#88 Posted by Johnnboy2000 (115 posts) -

@duskvamp

Are u planing on driving into SF if so have toll ready I think its 7 or 8 dollers now on the bay bridge come from oakland too the city no toll coming back prepared too fight heavytraffic in the morning and at rush hour. Most all San Francisco public streets are paid parking and the time limit is strictly enforced in the busyer parts of the city. Finding parking can be a nightmare depending on the time of day and where your at. Oh there ate no left turns on market and elsewhere in the city., too turns u havet too make 3 rights too make to make one left. My my advice take BART use Muni and walk the city is not tgat big and a lot can be seen just by walking.

#89 Edited by myketuna (1765 posts) -
@slag said:

@raven10 said:

You survived Chicago so I can't imagine Oakland being any worse. My advice after living on the South Side of Chicago:

1. Always make sure you walk with Wrighthouse. Don't under any circumstance walk alone at night, either in Oakland or San Francisco.

2. If you use a smartphone or other expensive electronic device, don't use it while walking at night.

3. Don't walk with headphones on.

4. Most importantly, if someone demands your wallet or any other possession, give it to them. Nothing you own is worth dying for. It can all be replaced.

And, yea, there are a ton of homeless people in both San Fransisco and Chicago. Just be polite to them if they insist on talking to you. Your best bet is just to completely ignore them. Avoid eye contact at all costs. Once you lock eyes with them, they know you have seen them. Just stare ahead and keep walking and most will move on.

@duskvamp this ^, is good advice for any US urban environment.

I second (third?) this advice.

From what I remember from the times I've visited my extended family in various parts of LA, urban areas aren't really that bad. Just use common sense and your gut reactions. If you find yourself thinking "Hmm, I don't know about this area." Then get the fuck out of there as quick as you can. It's fairly simple. And while you're in said area trying to get out, follow the rules listed above.

Overall though, chances of something happening to you are still kinda low. Even if a place like Oakland is high on the "you're gonna get messed with" scale.

#90 Edited by ThePickle (4170 posts) -

@castiel said:

Fuck this thread makes USA sound like one scary place to live. There isn't too much violence in Denmark, or atleast that's how it used to be, it has become a litlle worse over the years unfortunately because of gang shootings, but USA just sounds scary.

Not all parts are bad. The US is a pretty big country. Lots of friendly people. Lots of shorts-appropriate weather.

#91 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

This page got depressing, here's hoping for a safe trip to you both. Just be on guard and I think you folks will be fine.

Do people still ghost ride the whip in Oakland or have I just outdated myself...?

Never Ghost Ride in Oakland

#92 Posted by jerseyscum (926 posts) -

Protip: Wear all red or blue and make random hand gestures at people. People in Oakland love that.

(Oakland is supposed to have some really, really good taco trucks.)

#93 Edited by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

@golguin said:

@kishan6 said:

@golguin said:

@jams said:

@golguin said:

@mcghee said:

@golguin:

The reasons you listed are exactly why we need to get rid of gang bangers. You don't have to kill them on the street in some shootout. You can start with those that are already in jail. Police should worry less about their safety and what their actions would cause and more about how their inaction has breed gang activity. Your reasoning is exactly why cops stay out of areas that are known gang hideouts. They don't want to get shot it. Isn't it their job to get rid of those gangs to make it safe for people that actually live there?

Okay so then you agree shooting on sight is a bad idea.

But man really? Police should worry less about their safety and what their actions would cause? That is completely insane.

And man if they really want anything positive to come out of this situation, then they should institute more programs to let prisoners get higher education while incarcerated. Many prisons nowadays have programs for them to get their GED's but nowadays that really doesnt qualify you to get a much better job than 10-12 bucks an hour and that most likely wouldnt be enough to motivate these guys to give up a life of crime and potentially actually help society instead of hurting it. Killing all the gangsters in prison will just leave a lot of bitter mothers and siblings, depressed their loved one chose the wrong life and wasnt given a second chance to try and make their lives right.

#94 Edited by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

@golguin said:

@kishan6 said:

@golguin said:

@jams said:

@golguin said:

@mcghee said:

@golguin:

Okay so then you agree shooting on sight is a bad idea.

But man really? Police should worry less about their safety and what their actions would cause? That is completely insane.

And man if they really want anything positive to come out of this situation, then they should institute more programs to let prisoners get higher education while incarcerated. Many prisons nowadays have programs for them to get their GED's but nowadays that really doesnt qualify you to get a much better job than 10-12 bucks an hour and that most likely wouldnt be enough to motivate these guys to give up a life of crime and potentially actually help society instead of hurting it. Killing all the gangsters in prison will just leave a lot of bitter mothers and siblings, depressed their loved one chose the wrong life and wasnt given a second chance to try and make their lives right.

#95 Edited by CreepingDeath0 (178 posts) -

" Also, never go out at night."
Jesus christ, as someone that is quite prone to wandering around central london at 2am without any worry, you guys are doing a damn good job of making me never want to visit America oO

#96 Edited by CreepingDeath0 (178 posts) -

" Also, never go out at night."
Jesus christ, as someone that is quite prone to wandering around central london at 2am without any worry, you guys are doing a damn good job of making me never want to visit America oO

#97 Edited by idBloc (124 posts) -

@raven10 said:

You survived Chicago so I can't imagine Oakland being any worse. My advice after living on the South Side of Chicago:

1. Always make sure you walk with Wrighthouse. Don't under any circumstance walk alone at night, either in Oakland or San Fransisco.

2. If you use a smartphone or other expensive electronic device don't use it while walking at night.

3. Don't walk with headphones on.

4. Most importantly, if someone demands your wallet or any other possession give it to them. Nothing you own is worth dying for. It can all be replaced.

And, yea, there are a ton of homeless people in both San Fransisco and Chicago. Just be polite to them if they insist on talking to you. Your best bet is just to completely ignore them. Avoid eye contact at all costs. Once you lock eyes with them they know you have seen them. Just stare ahead and keep walking and most will move on.

^ this

I do this everyday while I walk from/back home through the tenderloin...

As an alternative for "1." if you are alone or with your significant other: Don't talk, walk straight, don't try to avoid groups by crossing the street, eyes straight towards your destination and don't wear stuff that would make you look "weak". It's sad to say this... people with bad intentions don't need a reason to beat someone up or at least they don't need to look too far to find one.

By the way, San Francisco is a great city; it's mostly safe in the area you will be visiting.

#98 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

#99 Edited by CornBREDX (6083 posts) -

The only thing I know about Oakland is the crime. Granted this was 20 years ago, it could be worse, it could be better. I have no idea what it's currently like.

I would not recommend walking around there. Really ever. Alone or otherwise.

But again, my information is 20 years old. It's probably better now, right?

#100 Edited by Grilledcheez (3960 posts) -

It could be worse, you could be going to Detroit