• 68 results
#1 Posted by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -

I've been wondering this for a while, but get a bunch of different answers. Are we supposed to shave with or against the grain? I hear going against causes ingrown hairs, but it seems that's the only way to get a actual smooth shave. I'm using a proglide right now on my face, but am going to switch tomach 3 because its cheaper for replacement shaver heads.

#2 Posted by Lysergica33 (523 posts) -

With the grain for stache area and the sides of my face, against for the neckbeard, combination of with and against for jawline. No ingrown hair problems, only use safety razors, no foam or gel of any kind, just hot water after a shower. Nice n smooth yo.

#3 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Against gets a closer shave.

#4 Posted by IBurningStar (2163 posts) -

The best way to get the cleanest and smoothest shave is to actually do both. The first time you want to go with it and the second time you want to go against. Another interesting tip is to use something like conditioner instead of shaving cream. Look it up, I swear it works better. Also, don't use cheap disposable razors. They are cheap for a reason. Using them will result in you damaging your face more than getting a nice shave.

#5 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

I need to shave against if I want to achieve a close clean shave, but it does horrible things to my sensitive skin.

#6 Edited by Aetheldod (3552 posts) -

Ahhhhh the bliss of not caring about shaving.... I just trimm it using an electric razor ... works wonders and I never need to spend in razors/cream :3

#7 Posted by Laurentech (127 posts) -

First, it's meeting girls, and now it's shaving. That's a lot of growing up to do in one day. Don't strain yourself.

#8 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

Against will get you a smoother/cleaner shave, but I just go with because I don't really care.

I have to look rugged and mysterious.

#9 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

Yea, I have to shave with it at first and in order to get it smooth I go against it.

#10 Posted by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -

@Laurentech: Fuck yourself.

#11 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -

Both.

#12 Posted by Zella (730 posts) -

I usually shave with, though I'll go against if I'm shaving for a more formal occasion for a closer shave. I do notice going against can sometimes lead to some ingrown hairs and stuff though I have sensitive skin technically so that might be a reason.

#13 Posted by ShaggE (6417 posts) -

Against.

I also pet animal fur against the grain, because bwahaha.

#14 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Primarily against, but with on the sideburns. I like to leave a little shadow on the sides.

#15 Posted by Philantrophy (354 posts) -

With the grain, against messes up my face.

#16 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

Buy a good razor and go with the grain. If you feel pain, you're doing it wrong.

#17 Posted by Laurentech (127 posts) -

Wooooooo! :D

#18 Posted by Bocam (3718 posts) -

@Claude said:

Buy a good razor and go with the grain. If you feel pain, you're doing it wrong.

But the pain makes me feel alive.

#19 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2241 posts) -

Both. First with then against.

#20 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@Bocam said:

@Claude said:

But the pain makes me feel alive.

#21 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

With, then against if I need to look super clean. This is with the triple-razor thingies from grocery stores.

#22 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1597 posts) -

A good razor and with the grain. As someone said: If it hurts you are doing it wrong.

#23 Posted by ripelivejam (3795 posts) -

is there any consensus about the nether regions?

#24 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (767 posts) -

I cut (that's right, "cut") my facial hair with scissors once a week. Both a boon and a curse. Not having to shave is a big plus, but when I cut myself, I really cut myself.

#25 Edited by KaneRobot (1537 posts) -

You'll usually need at least two passes for the absolute best results. With for the first pass and against for the second. Everyone's beard can be a bit different, but you should use a safety razor (or straight razor, but that gets trickier) for best results. Get some decent shaving cream though...that shit in the can (Barbasol and the like) is pretty terrible. Get the kind you mix yourself.

Merkur DE razor with Feather blades is the absolute best you're gonna get with a safety razor, no debate.

#26 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@ripelivejam said:

is there any consensus about the nether regions?

It's scary down there. I just manscape with trimming scissors. Clippers and razors became hazardous. Or at least I wasn't comfortable with them.
#27 Posted by geirr (2528 posts) -

@Laurentech said:

First, it's meeting girls, and now it's shaving. That's a lot of growing up to do in one day. Don't strain yourself.

Don't discard Laurentech's advice. Growing up is overrated anyway.

#28 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

@IBurningStar said:

The best way to get the cleanest and smoothest shave is to actually do both. The first time you want to go with it and the second time you want to go against.

When I first started shaving this is what just sorta came naturally to me, I was surprised that there was any other remotely-accepted way of doing it.

#29 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -

You shave with the grain. If you want a super close shave, after going once with the grain, you can go a second time against it, but be prepared to sustain injuries. 

#30 Posted by JoeBigfoot (107 posts) -

@Raven_Sword: I'm not the one to ask (cause I have a beard and shave very infrequently), BUT, I read somewhere that you should actually shave twice each time. The first time while your stubble is longer go with the grain (otherwise there is too much resistance/tugging), once you finish re-soap/foam and shave against the grain. Apparently it lasts much longer that way.

#31 Posted by pandorasbox (303 posts) -

I personably don't grow much hair on my sides, it's all in the chin/stache area. That said, I always go with and then do a second run against. It's different for everybody, though, as some people have more sensitive skin than others and other people may have curly hairs which are prone to becoming ingrown hairs. Do what works for you. You have your entire life to practice.

#32 Posted by StarvingGamer (8146 posts) -

Against

#33 Posted by Castiel (2572 posts) -

I used to do both: with the grain and against it. But since a professional barber advised not to do that, because of ingrown hair, I stopped doing that. It's a kind of a bitch as I don't get as cleanshaven as I used to be, but I would rather have it that way than risking getting ingrown hair.

#34 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

I use an electric razor and just kind of circle it around my face until the job is done. So, both?

#35 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

With. I don't care about closeness because I'm going to have to shave the next day regardless. I would rather not look like my neck fought a lawnmower.

#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

What the hell is shave?

#37 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

@IBurningStar said:

The best way to get the cleanest and smoothest shave is to actually do both. The first time you want to go with it and the second time you want to go against. Another interesting tip is to use something like conditioner instead of shaving cream. Look it up, I swear it works better. Also, don't use cheap disposable razors. They are cheap for a reason. Using them will result in you damaging your face more than getting a nice shave.

yep. it doesn't take much longer, but it's painless and very effective.

#38 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I go against on the first pass and then kind of come at ti from the side on my second pass. I go from ear to chin, then up and down from nose to chin along the same area just to get the odd hairs that want to rebel and grow in an opposite direction.

#39 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

I do both, but I guess I should probably go with, huh...

#40 Posted by Ben_H (3341 posts) -

Dry shave against the grain is the only way to go for me. I never get cuts or razor burn either. That way I can run my hand over and find any missed spots. My face is literally perfectly smooth when I am done. Also, due to my perfectionism, I have pretty much perfectly level sideburns too.

#41 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

IRRELEVANT, IT IS NO SHAVE NOVEMBER

LET THAT BITCH GROW UNTIL DECEMBER 1ST, OR YOU GET A LEGAL LETTER FROM THE CITY THAT YOU ARE SCARING THE CHILDREN

#42 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

What is shaving?

#43 Posted by AbeTheGreatest (132 posts) -

shave sideways

#44 Posted by pyromagnestir (4296 posts) -

@takua108 said:

@IBurningStar said:

The best way to get the cleanest and smoothest shave is to actually do both. The first time you want to go with it and the second time you want to go against.

When I first started shaving this is what just sorta came naturally to me, I was surprised that there was any other remotely-accepted way of doing it.

Same here. If I do it this way I can go 4 or so days without needing to shave again, maybe other than to touch up my neck a little. What I wouldn't give to never have to shave again.

#45 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1767 posts) -

Both. Against for the neck; With for the face.

#46 Posted by OneManX (1686 posts) -

Both.. keep it clean for the womenz

#47 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

With for the bulk, it's much faster, against for the stubs that are left.

#48 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

I alternate, otherwise I'd get called out by someone the day after at physical training or something for not shaving right. It shows when I try to cut corners with it!

#49 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

i just do beard trimmer on short setting. I refuse to shave with razor or electric. Irritates my skin.

#50 Edited by Chop (1996 posts) -

With the grain. Maybe it's just me but If I go against...man, I just destroy my face; razor burn for like a week straight.

On a side note, I'm incredibly jealous of most of your guys. I can only shave after having a shower, I can only make one pass (with the grain) and I have to wash my face with freezing cold water after. If I don't do all that, just razor burn city. It hurts and looks terrible and I hate my fucking face.