• 67 results
NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By NegativeCero

I do both, but if I'm in a rush I'll just go over once with the grain, or just not shave that day.

grayfox1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By grayfox1210

two strokes with the grain, then two against.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Grillbar

with is supposed to be more healthy for the skin. but i ususally go with until the razor cant get anymore and then against with a small amount of force since it shaves it that much closer and then i only have to shave every other to 3rd day

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Kerned

With, for the love of all that's holy, WITH. Going against the grain is bad for your skin.

Also, get a tube of L'Occitane Cade After Shave Balm-- especially if you are an against the grain person. A tube lasts a very long time, it's well worth the money, and it will make your skin feel fantastic after shaving. I've been using it for over 10 years and I honestly think it's one of the reasons I look so damn young. Take care of your skin, gentlemen!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MezZa

Usually with the grain.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By colourful_hippie

With because all I really do now is trim the scraggly hairs and maintain an ordered beard. I don't have time to constantly shave to keep my face smooth.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Aquablak

With the grain for the first pass, then against to get it nice and smooth (careful you don't go over it too much, or it'll irritate the skin and you could get acne), and I use a gel.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Zekhariah

@IBurningStar said:

The best way to get the cleanest and smoothest shave is to actually do both. The first time you want to go with it and the second time you want to go against. Another interesting tip is to use something like conditioner instead of shaving cream. Look it up, I swear it works better. Also, don't use cheap disposable razors. They are cheap for a reason. Using them will result in you damaging your face more than getting a nice shave.

^The conditioner note is important, shaving cream is a marketing thing to avoid confusion.

The only thing the shaving cream is doing is providing lubrication between the blades from the the skin.

Using general intended for human use lubricant (silicone based in particular prevents direct blade contact with the skin) pretty much gives zero scratching or damage (although it is ideally done prior to showering for easier clean up). And it works out waaay cheaper than branded shaving cream.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Toxin066

@pyromagnestir said:

@takua108 said:

@IBurningStar said:

The best way to get the cleanest and smoothest shave is to actually do both. The first time you want to go with it and the second time you want to go against.

When I first started shaving this is what just sorta came naturally to me, I was surprised that there was any other remotely-accepted way of doing it.

Same here. If I do it this way I can go 4 or so days without needing to shave again, maybe other than to touch up my neck a little. What I wouldn't give to never have to shave again.

Im letting my facial hair grow out, but I've got a ton of neck beard that I keep in check. I go with a double pass (first with, second against) every other day. I'm using a Lord safety razor currently, thinking about switching to a Dovo 5/8" straight edge in a month or so. Finish up with Bay Rum aftershave, boom. There ya go.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By PillClinton

I do both for a closer shave, and fortunately don't suffer any consequences of going against like some dudes with really thick hair do (oh, I feel sorry for those dudes).

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By guiseppe

I didn't know we were "supposed" to do anything. I thought it was down to personal preference. For me, going against the grain works better.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By YOU_DIED

@Bocam said:

@Claude said:

Buy a good razor and go with the grain. If you feel pain, you're doing it wrong.

But the pain makes me feel alive.

I go with and against, but in the end, it doesn't even matter

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64  Edited By dichemstys

Against on my jawline, usually with on the front of my face.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mordukai

@Barrock said:

Against gets a closer shave.

And gives you in-grown hair. I hate those.

With...Always with.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By smokeyd123

With and against. Gotta do a bit of both to really FEEL it.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alternate, go over it with, then against. Never had problems

kre8havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By kre8havoc

I worked in a retirement home, and we sometimes are asked to shave some of the residents. We are taught to shave against the grain. That's what Doctors want us to do.

So...against.