• 129 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -


#2 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I was inspired to make this topic, because today while doing my daily jog, I seen some woman getting extremely pissed off and screaming at a guy for jogging outside with his shirt off to the point of almost smacking the shit out of him. So I got thinking, is it really that bad if a guy is working out outside without his shirt on? It'd be understandable I suppose if it was some fat hairy guy shopping and sweating and getting hair all over the food. But a guy outside in the heat working out without a shirt on? What do you think?

#3 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

It's fine, even if he's hairy, but not fat. But I'm a guy, so I may be biased. That chick must have found out that her boyfriend was cheating on her.

#4 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Exercising, near a beach, or doing physical labour outside is fine.

It's a bit weird if he is trying to sell me a pair of jeans or is a juror or something, but whatevs.

I also feel that women should be able to walk around topless in similar circumstances, or just in a bra or whatever. Fair is fair after all.

#5 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

It's perfectly acceptable.

Depending on the physical shape of the man in question, it may be incredibly visually off-putting, but there it's not criminal for a man to go shirtless in public.

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11284 posts) -

Legally, sure. Doesn't mean it's not weird, which it almost always is. Maybe that's just because the only guys I know who ever go around without shirts on are middle aged and not in great shape.

And, as mentioned, it depends on the situation. There's a reason why most stores and restaurants require that people wear shirts.

Moderator
#7 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1789 posts) -

Today I saw some dude riding a motorcycle with his shirt off. I also don't live too far from the beach. Whatevs.

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

In New York women can be topless. 

#9 Edited by Jay_Ray (1109 posts) -

I vote for No, sure it is legal but most guys who don't wear shirts in public are either steroid douchebags or out of shape and don't care what the world thinks (which is fine but still visually unappealing).

@The_Laughing_Man said:

In New York women can be topless.

I'm moving to New York; fun fact NYC has about a 2:1 women:men ratio.

Edit: Wearing no shirt does not cool you off any better then wearing a cotton t-shirt or tank top so really wearing no shirt while working out is just to show off.

#10 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Sure, why not? I mean maybe it might not be fine in a restaurant of store but while working out tht seems perfectly fine.

#11 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -

I live within a mile of the beach. I see dudes walking around, biking, driving shirtless all the time. It's not a big deal.

#12 Posted by Bucketdeth (8023 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I was inspired to make this topic, because today while doing my daily jog, I seen some woman getting extremely pissed off and screaming at a guy for jogging outside with his shirt off to the point of almost smacking the shit out of him. So I got thinking, is it really that bad if a guy is working out outside without his shirt on? It'd be understandable I suppose if it was some fat hairy guy shopping and sweating and getting hair all over the food. But a guy outside in the heat working out without a shirt on? What do you think?

Women really got mad at a guy for jogging without a shirt on? I see men without shirts on all the time in the summer.

#13 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

In New York women can be topless.

I was just about to post that.

Back on subject, yes, it is acceptable.

#14 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Yes but I dont see many guys without their shirts and I feel like its frowned upon here.  The beach is a 2 minute walk from my place and many guys have their shirts on.  Its a shame, I want to take my shirt off in public.  

#15 Edited by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

In New York women can be topless.

to be fair, it should be either

A: women and men can both be topless, or

B: they both can't be.

They're just boobs after all

also OP just because a man is grotesque doesn't make it more or less legal for him to have his shirt off; are we discriminating against ugly people now?

#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Bucketdeth said:

@CL60 said:

I was inspired to make this topic, because today while doing my daily jog, I seen some woman getting extremely pissed off and screaming at a guy for jogging outside with his shirt off to the point of almost smacking the shit out of him. So I got thinking, is it really that bad if a guy is working out outside without his shirt on? It'd be understandable I suppose if it was some fat hairy guy shopping and sweating and getting hair all over the food. But a guy outside in the heat working out without a shirt on? What do you think?

Women really got mad at a guy for jogging without a shirt on? I see men without shirts on all the time in the summer.

Yes, she was screaming at him and telling him that there are children around.

#17 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@BraveToaster said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

In New York women can be topless.

I was just about to post that.

Back on subject, yes, it is acceptable.

I mean straight out no shirt no bra nothing and its accepted/ 
#18 Posted by zombie2011 (4982 posts) -

I run outside and if it's hot i go shirtless, quite a few guys i see run shirtless too even the ladies mostly wear only the spandex bras and pants and run.

#19 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@BraveToaster said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

In New York women can be topless.

I was just about to post that.

Back on subject, yes, it is acceptable.

I mean straight out no shirt no bra nothing and its accepted/

well yeah I'm saying that's how it should be.

either that or both women and men cannot be shirtless; it's only fair after all.

#20 Posted by Hamst3r (4516 posts) -

Having grown up in California, shirtless people were a common occurrence. I see no issue with it. Anyone should be able to go shirtless if they want to.

#21 Posted by ZombiePie (5707 posts) -

As someone with a physically deformed chest I wear shirts when outside regardless of temperature, even when I'm at a beach, and have for almost all of my life. The idea of anyone feeling comfortable to be seen without their shirt on still is an alien concept to me.

Moderator
#22 Posted by Bucketdeth (8023 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Bucketdeth said:

@CL60 said:

I was inspired to make this topic, because today while doing my daily jog, I seen some woman getting extremely pissed off and screaming at a guy for jogging outside with his shirt off to the point of almost smacking the shit out of him. So I got thinking, is it really that bad if a guy is working out outside without his shirt on? It'd be understandable I suppose if it was some fat hairy guy shopping and sweating and getting hair all over the food. But a guy outside in the heat working out without a shirt on? What do you think?

Women really got mad at a guy for jogging without a shirt on? I see men without shirts on all the time in the summer.

Yes, she was screaming at him and telling him that there are children around.

Wow, sounds like a grade-A bitch. Children couldn't give two shits if a man was jogging without a shirt on, people are so uptight now a days, and those kids will be influenced by their incompetent mother...skip 20 years in the future and they are yelling at some guy for the same thing in front of their kids.

#23 Edited by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@BraveToaster said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

In New York women can be topless.

I was just about to post that.

Back on subject, yes, it is acceptable.

I mean straight out no shirt no bra nothing and its accepted/

well yeah I'm saying that's how it should be.

either that or both women and men cannot be shirtless; it's only fair after all.

Edit: Whoa, I just noticed the black censor bar was slightly transparent..

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Only if they can pull it off.

#25 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6300 posts) -

I don't care either way, but damned if this doesn't make me want to watch Trailer Park Boys.

Moderator
#26 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

I don't care either way, but damned if this doesn't make me want to watch Trailer Park Boys.

#27 Posted by Tireyo (6445 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

As someone with a physically deformed chest I wear shirts when outside regardless of temperature, even when I'm at a beach, and have for almost all of my life. The idea of anyone feeling comfortable to be seen without their shirt on still is an alien concept to me.

Ditto! Except I've never been to the beach.

#28 Posted by SlapHappyJesus (120 posts) -

Don't wear a shirt when I go running in the morning.

I see nothing wrong with it.

#29 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

I was born shirtless.

#30 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

I guess I'd say it's acceptable but I don't tend to do it. It feels good, especially when working or exercising in the sun but I only do it alone or with people I know.

I've been working outside in the heat all week and I've managed to keep my top on, I find that a t-shirt or sleeveless shirt [as long as it's not made of thick cotton] isn't really much worse.

#31 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Depends on the circumstance and location. There are always a few shirtless men in a jogging area around a cemetery by my house. Shirtless men near beaches is also adequate.

Actually, what the hell, I don't have a problem with shirtless anyone anywhere. Just keep the pants on.

#32 Posted by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -

No and I always yell at them. If chicks gotta wear a top so do we.

#33 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

There's a time and a place for no-shirt-time. That time and place are mutually exclusive with any time you're anyplace in public that is not a beach or hospital. Put a friggin' shirt on, you neanderthals.

#34 Posted by Bucketdeth (8023 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

As someone with a physically deformed chest I wear shirts when outside regardless of temperature, even when I'm at a beach, and have for almost all of my life. The idea of anyone feeling comfortable to be seen without their shirt on still is an alien concept to me.

I was born with Pectus Carinatum, and I remember as a kid being very cautious of my chest at all times, and other kids began noticing it, it was a pain in the ass to say the least. I was very skinny until about 18 when I began working out with my father, I'm now 21 and at about 180lbs 6'0" and my chest is still slightly noticeable, but it's nothing like it was when I was younger. I know time and working out doesn't solve every chest deformity, I was just lucky to have a fairly minor case of pigeon chest. Is yours very severe? If you don't mind me asking.

#35 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2025 posts) -

If I were that man I'd make it a point to go running by her everyday in just a speedo and running shoes.

#36 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Ehh, yeah sure why not.

#37 Posted by believer258 (11984 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

In New York women can be topless.

to be fair, it should be either

A: women and men can both be topless, or

B: they both can't be.

They're just boobs after all

also OP just because a man is grotesque doesn't make it more or less legal for him to have his shirt off; are we discriminating against ugly people now?

Would you consider it a horrible thing if I said no one should go topless so as to make sure the...er... less visually appealing of us stay covered up?

And this is coming from someone who isn't particularly attractive.

Anyway, the whole thing about "men can be topless, women can't" is that a woman's breast is more often than not considered something more sexual. It's just a fairly common social norm, and a relatively harmless one at that, though I do think it should probably be the same for both sexes these days.

#38 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -
@Jay_Ray said: 

Edit: Wearing no shirt does not cool you off any better then wearing a cotton t-shirt or tank top so really wearing no shirt while working out is just to show off.

You got science to back that up?  I'm quite sensitive to how warm/cold it is and a shirt does make a difference. 
#39 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2025 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Animasta said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

In New York women can be topless.

to be fair, it should be either

A: women and men can both be topless, or

B: they both can't be.

They're just boobs after all

also OP just because a man is grotesque doesn't make it more or less legal for him to have his shirt off; are we discriminating against ugly people now?

Would you consider it a horrible thing if I said no one should go topless so as to make sure the...er... less visually appealing of us stay covered up?

And this is coming from someone who isn't particularly attractive.

Anyway, the whole thing about "men can be topless, women can't" is that a woman's breast is more often than not considered something more sexual. It's just a fairly common social norm, and a relatively harmless one at that, though I do think it should probably be the same for both sexes these days.

Meh, if an ugly dude wants to show everyone how ugly he is, more power to him. Where I live women and men can be topless but due to social norms you pretty much only see shirtless men. It would be incredibly stupid to send a woman to jail just because she was walking around without a top on. Laws should be in place to stop things that actually harm society, not to oppress peoples rights and protect the sexually repressed from being occasionally offended.

#40 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2025 posts) -

@sins_of_mosin said:

@Jay_Ray said:

Edit: Wearing no shirt does not cool you off any better then wearing a cotton t-shirt or tank top so really wearing no shirt while working out is just to show off.

You got science to back that up? I'm quite sensitive to how warm/cold it is and a shirt does make a difference.

Ya, that's just straight up wrong. Sweating is the body's main mechanism of cooling off, but it only works if the sweat can evaporate. That's because liquid must absorb heat in order to change state from liquid to vapor. So by evaporating, the sweat absorbs heat from the body and then transports it into the air.

Cotton shirts absorb sweat and do not allow it to effectively evaporate, which allows more heat to build up than would if you weren't wearing a shirt. Also, wearing a shirt adds a layer of insulation, trapping the heat inside and preventing air that passes by from absorbing and removing heat, preventing another cooling mechanism from working.

So Jay_Ray could not be more wrong. I could get more scientific if you want me to, this is just the basic principles.

#41 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

sure it's acceptable. i was thinking like a store or something than no. outside jogging is ok.

#42 Posted by Jay_Ray (1109 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@sins_of_mosin said:

@Jay_Ray said:

Edit: Wearing no shirt does not cool you off any better then wearing a cotton t-shirt or tank top so really wearing no shirt while working out is just to show off.

You got science to back that up? I'm quite sensitive to how warm/cold it is and a shirt does make a difference.

Ya, that's just straight up wrong. Sweating is the body's mechanism of cooling off, but it only works if the sweat can evaporate. That's because liquid must absorb heat in order to change state from liquid to vapor. So by evaporating, the sweat absorbs heat from the body and then transports it into the air.

Cotton shirts absorb sweat and does not allow it to effectively evaporate, which allows more heat to build up than would if you weren't wearing a shirt. Also, wearing a shirt adds a layer of insulation trapping the heat inside and preventing air that passes by from absorbing and removing heat, preventing another cooling mechanism from working.

So Jay_Ray could not be more wrong. I could get more scientific if you want me too, this is just the basic principles.

Synthetic sport clothing barely absorbs any water and is designed to basically simulate being shirtless. Light cotton t-shirts are highly breathable and in my experience does not absorb a lot of sweat, at least not enough to be felt (possibly because of my climate and the climates I travel to regularly). The only difference is the wind chill factor, which only makes you feel cooler in wind but your core body temp barely changes.

#43 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

As long as people aren't disgustingly fat then I see no problem with them being shirtless.

#44 Edited by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Animasta said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

In New York women can be topless.

to be fair, it should be either

A: women and men can both be topless, or

B: they both can't be.

They're just boobs after all

also OP just because a man is grotesque doesn't make it more or less legal for him to have his shirt off; are we discriminating against ugly people now?

Would you consider it a horrible thing if I said no one should go topless so as to make sure the...er... less visually appealing of us stay covered up?

And this is coming from someone who isn't particularly attractive.

course not, I'm just saying that having it work differently for each gender is silly.

#45 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2025 posts) -

@Jay_Ray said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@sins_of_mosin said:

@Jay_Ray said:

Edit: Wearing no shirt does not cool you off any better then wearing a cotton t-shirt or tank top so really wearing no shirt while working out is just to show off.

You got science to back that up? I'm quite sensitive to how warm/cold it is and a shirt does make a difference.

Ya, that's just straight up wrong. Sweating is the body's mechanism of cooling off, but it only works if the sweat can evaporate. That's because liquid must absorb heat in order to change state from liquid to vapor. So by evaporating, the sweat absorbs heat from the body and then transports it into the air.

Cotton shirts absorb sweat and does not allow it to effectively evaporate, which allows more heat to build up than would if you weren't wearing a shirt. Also, wearing a shirt adds a layer of insulation trapping the heat inside and preventing air that passes by from absorbing and removing heat, preventing another cooling mechanism from working.

So Jay_Ray could not be more wrong. I could get more scientific if you want me too, this is just the basic principles.

Synthetic sport clothing barely absorbs any water and is designed to basically simulate being shirtless. Light cotton t-shirts are highly breathable and in my experience does not absorb a lot of sweat, at least not enough to be felt (possibly because of my climate and the climates I travel to regularly). The only difference is the wind chill factor, which only makes you feel cooler in wind but your core body temp barely changes.

You said cotton shirts. Yes, sports wear wicks away sweat and is much more effective for staying cool, but is still not as effective than being shirtless. Humid climates makes it much harder for sweat to evaporate so even light cotton should only be used for light exercise in that climate.

#46 Edited by Intro (1208 posts) -

Yeah I don't mind, it's the human body for Christ's sake. The lady you saw yelling at the man for being shirtless is what you call a cunt.

It's a weird society we live in, we shelter our kids from seeing the human body or seeing something sexual. But if they want to play the new Gears of War and go see Saw, most parents are fine with that. I work at a movie theater and always hear, "What's this rated R for?" Not too much longer into the conversation the customer will say, "I don't care about the violence, it's the language and other stuff" or something of that matter. First off, the language used in a lot of rated r films aren't any worse than what your kids will hear on the school bus or in school. I remember hearing curse words many times since I was about 7 just riding the bus to my small school out in the country and back. Your kids are going to hear bad language all their life and that can't be prevented, for the most part, so just teach them that they shouldn't use those words in certain situations. Same goes with sex related things. Your kids are going to find out about it, probably around the age of 14 or so, even though sex isn't a great a idea for people that age. Sex related things are something schools teach and parents are supposed to inform their kids about. However, we make it seems shameful and don't want people seeing naked or even half-naked bodies. But people being burned, decapitated, tortured, cut in half, etc. etc. is fine for us to see. A man without a shirt? Pure evil.

#47 Posted by believer258 (11984 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@believer258 said:

@Animasta said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

In New York women can be topless.

to be fair, it should be either

A: women and men can both be topless, or

B: they both can't be.

They're just boobs after all

also OP just because a man is grotesque doesn't make it more or less legal for him to have his shirt off; are we discriminating against ugly people now?

Would you consider it a horrible thing if I said no one should go topless so as to make sure the...er... less visually appealing of us stay covered up?

And this is coming from someone who isn't particularly attractive.

Anyway, the whole thing about "men can be topless, women can't" is that a woman's breast is more often than not considered something more sexual. It's just a fairly common social norm, and a relatively harmless one at that, though I do think it should probably be the same for both sexes these days.

Meh, if an ugly dude wants to show everyone how ugly he is, more power to him. Where I live women and men can be topless but due to social norms you pretty much only see shirtless men. It would be incredibly stupid to send a woman to jail just because she was walking around without a top on. Laws should be in place to stop things that actually harm society, not to oppress peoples rights and protect the sexually repressed from being occasionally offended.

I don't think you get sent to jail for indecent exposure around where I'm from.

Anyway, I was just suggesting that no one be able to walk around topless because I don't want to have to use brain bleach in case someone really ugly and really unshapely thinks they're hot shit and decides to go topless everywhere. And yeah, that sort of thing would quickly happen.

#48 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Bucketdeth said:

@CL60 said:

I was inspired to make this topic, because today while doing my daily jog, I seen some woman getting extremely pissed off and screaming at a guy for jogging outside with his shirt off to the point of almost smacking the shit out of him. So I got thinking, is it really that bad if a guy is working out outside without his shirt on? It'd be understandable I suppose if it was some fat hairy guy shopping and sweating and getting hair all over the food. But a guy outside in the heat working out without a shirt on? What do you think?

Women really got mad at a guy for jogging without a shirt on? I see men without shirts on all the time in the summer.

Yes, she was screaming at him and telling him that there are children around.

It's fine.

I've actually gotten this before myself, at a picnic I was at, I wanted to chance my outfit, which required me switching shirts. One of the girls we were with got SUPER up tight and started complaining at me that there were children around. I must have given her a "bitch are you retarded?" look because she certainly didn't say anything after that, and then I put on a different shirt.

#49 Posted by Bulby33 (599 posts) -

I see no problem with it. I actually wear no shirt sometimes when I'm jogging and it's really hot.

#50 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

I like all boobs. Even the manly ones.