• 192 results
Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Budwyzer

I can understand not using one very often, but I'm having a hard time imagining a kitchen, these days, that doesn't have one over the stove and built-in to the cabinetry with an exhaust fan built in. That just seems standard at this point.

While I do have one, I only use it for 2 things. Cooking Lipton Ice Tea bags in a cup of water to make tea, and cooking Ramen Noodles. Yes I am married, and we cook, but I crave sodium at times and a cup o' ramen is an entire days worth of sodium. Plus, ya know, Ramen.

Also, for anyone afraid of a microwave for whatever reason, watch this:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/myth-busting-bill-nye-pt-1

Who doesn't trust Bill Nye?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By MikkaQ

@greggd said:

But popcorn, guys.

Air popped popcorn is the only real popcorn. But yeah I just have this old-ass device from the 90s that makes popcorn at the flick of a switch. Best of all, the popcorn just gets dumped right into the bowl.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Halogen Cooker > Microwave.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By EXTomar

Side topic: We need to promote more Vinco ideas even if they break the laws of physics!

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#155  Edited By triple07

I'm more surprised his place didn't just come with a microwave. Maybe its a california thing but I don't think Ive ever seen an apartment without a microwave in it.

I don't use my microwave very much but I still find the connivence nice when I need something fast. Also I've never heard any reason to not have a microwave besides the old wives tales about them emitting radiation.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By fetchfox

I'm not surprised at all. We don't own one and we've never missed it. How to reheat food? On the oven, or inside. Microwave TV dinners? No, I eat real food and enjoy cooking.

@humanity: Well, to each their own! Though… heated cereal is just crazy. What brand do you usually go for?

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't live without mini pizza bagels. I just couldn't...

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have denied multiple offers from friends to give me their old microwaves. I'm anti-microwave. The only time I've ever missed it was when I once had leftover Chinese food. And that's not even that big of a deal.

dobschutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@iamjohn said:
@humanity said:

I just use mine to heat up cereal in the morning.

You cannot just drop this without explaining it.

Well I mean obviously I put milk in the bowl, then put cereal in and then heat it all up in the microwave. I don't like cold cereal, and it's basically the only thing I use my microwave for.

what the flying fuck....... u freak

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

People eat cereal with warm/hot milk? Weird. I've literally never thought of doing that, nor heard of anyone else trying it.

I wouldn't say it's shocking that someone doesn't have a microwave, but at this point they're ubiquitous enough that I kinda just assume that most people do have one. They're pretty useful.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#161  Edited By MudMan

@humanity said:

@iamjohn said:
@humanity said:

You cannot just drop this without explaining it.

Well I mean obviously I put milk in the bowl, then put cereal in and then heat it all up in the microwave. I don't like cold cereal, and it's basically the only thing I use my microwave for.

what the flying fuck....... u freak

I know people who heat up their milk, then put cereal on it, but heating the milk with the cereal already there is madness. It'll all get mushed up and you'll end up eating a concrete-like concoction.

Incidentally, that's my primary use for a microwave: heating up water without breaking out a pot. Becasue water heaters are a crazy thing. Microwave popcorn is also pretty cool, and I eat enough leftovers that I need one, but you can make do without. Obviously. Or human race wouldn't have survived.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cook and freeze like half of it. I'm living alone so of course I have a microwave to heat up the rest. I'm not gonna dirty another pot to heat shit on the oven.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Sogeman

Top tip for hot dogs: Waterheater. try it

@humanity said:

You're a monster, a monster I say. soggy and warm, bäääh :(

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day before yesterday I poached chicken thighs in milk, made a roux with the milk and grated in parmesan, cooled the chicken and stripped it and added that, mushrooms, chorizo and ham to the roux. Rolled out some puff pastry and put that all in the middle, folded it over, crimped it, glazed it and grated some parmesan on top. Baked that bitch up for 25 minutes and had it with baby carrots, green beans, mange tout and new potatoes for the woman as I hate potatoes that aren't roast.

Next day that bitch pie went in the microwave. I'm not standing about like some prostitute when that gash in my face needs healing, STAT.

Microwaves keep more nutrients in vegetables than boiling or steaming. Google up some Harvard medical business.

Now to the dark arts for the Brits out there. Pot Noodle. Once you've added the water give it a stir and put it in the microwave for a bit. It goes really thick if you like that sort of thing, and I do.

Take a couple of slice of corn beef and put them on a plate. Corn beef in Britain is not like that lovely stuff you see in Katz's Deli on Man v Food. Oh no. It's a stiffened beef sludge in a metal isosceles trapezoid with a key to open it that injures around ten thousand people a year costing the UK tax payer over five million pounds in national health costs. So, anyway, put some cheese on top of that - cheddar of course, or Asda's own singles if you live in a council house. Put that in the microwave and let her blossom. The meat will turn into a darkened, crumbly canvas onto which its own meat oils and those from the cheese will combine to paint a masterpiece made for your mouth. Put it in a sandwich and add a flourish of brown sauce and wait for the guilt to roll in. I have patented the asymmetric slice. Don't cut straight across the middle, angle the knife a bit and you'll always have a thick end to hold and a thinner bit to shove in your yowler. Your guests will think you've been to fancy school if you give them a sandwich with that kind of slash on it. Brown sauce is HP sauce which I've heard is close to steak sauce in the western territories. It's close, but not close enough.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It blew my mind until I started looking through this thread.

Guys. Microwaves are cool. Trust me. They take cold food and make it hot super fucking fast.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always use my microwave, no way I could make those delicious 2 minute noodles without them, or heat up leftovers.

Also, popcorn.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I use mine to cook salmon and peas.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Yo, I cook my Hungry Man dinners in the oven like a MAN!

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fuck? I didn't know so many people didn't own microwaves. This is haunting to think about lol.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I think it's crazy town not to own a microwave but I agree that toaster ovens are where it's at. In fact, I would have that instead of a microwave if dorm rooms didn't have these damn "fire codes." Also I think it sounds like a goddamn nightmare to cook and live with only a microwave so I guess I like options.

I grew up with a microwave and use that to reheat leftovers and the essentials, like Hot Pockets. That and it's useful to defrost while you're doing other stuff, boiling small amounts of water, and various shit like that. I can't believe I'm sitting here typing out uses for a microwave as some sort of defense against this anti-microwave tidal wave. I'm going to do something else.

While I also think putting milk and cereal in the microwave is fucking insane, my first generation immigrant parents did that kind of shit so I just chalk it up to that. It's weird, as popular as cereal is in some parts of Europe, family members of mine living there think it's weird that people eat cereal cold.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I have one but I never use it. I have a wife instead.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have one but I never use it. I have a wife instead.

So you're saying your wife uses the microwave.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not that shocking. We try to use ours as little as possible, it's almost exclusively for warming leftover food.

I don't know man, there's this cool thing where you stick a raw egg in it and watch it explode.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Aetheldod

Dudes Im gonna blow your mind out ... there are countries outhere without microwaves I know right? How can they manage???

joking aside i do have microwave and we use it from time to time to reheat some stuff , but also there´s been time that we had no microwave and we managed quie nicely.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had a microwave in almost 4 years now. It sucks when you want to heat up certain left overs, but for the most part I don't miss it at all.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By JZ

Microwaves actually irradiate your food that's bad for you.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to make the jump to "no microwave" but that assumes a lot of other lifestyle changes are made along with it. If I cooked more often I wouldn't have to use the thing (and when I do now it is sparingly at best).

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Fucking hipsters.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I'm much more shocked that this thread has somehow gone on for four pages, so I figured I'd contribute.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By TruthTellah

I'm much more shocked that this thread has somehow gone on for four pages, so I figured I'd contribute.

Hey, this is Giant Bomb dot com. I imagine the Microwave vs No Microwave battle will continue on for quite some time.

I mean, how are we supposed to trust a vicious anti-microwave hater with our videogame commentary?

Come on. Let's get real here.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dudes Im gonna blow your mind out ... there are countries outhere without microwaves I know right? How can they manage???

Ah! But here you see this is something quite different entire. This is the point of fact of a person living in a civilized country with easy access to a microwave oven for an hour's pay and saying, no, i will not have one of those.

My older brother is one such. He can most assuredly afford a microwave as he earns about six times the amount of yearly that I do. When I have visited him I have personally seen him fussing about with his toaster oven and standing around at the counter as he ever so slowly reheats a slice of pizza from the day before. I think that if I were to insert a microwave, on the sly, into his kitchen, he would be mad but I expect he would be using it before the day was out. D:

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@jjweatherman said:

Hey, this is Giant Bomb dot com. I imagine the Microwave vs No Microwave battle will continue on for quite some time.

I mean, how are we supposed to trust a vicious anti-microwave hater with our videogame commentary?

You're right. I actually thought just after posting that that I really wasn't too shocked, which I then spun in my head into being my intentional way of displaying just how unshocked I truly was at Vinny not owning a microwave. See? Totally valid and sensible post. Unlike this one.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By YummyTreeSap

I have one that I use for reheating some stuff and making that goddamn ten-grain hot cereal from Bob the oatmeal guy (the best ever), but if I didn't have one I wouldn't care. When I was living with a person she didn't have one and I didn't feel like I was missing out on life essentials or anything.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@jjweatherman said:

You're right. I actually thought just after posting that that I really wasn't too shocked, which I then spun in my head into being my intentional way of displaying just how unshocked I truly was at Vinny not owning a microwave. See? Totally valid and sensible post. Unlike this one.

It's alright, JJ. None of us are perfect.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so many microwave racists in this thread

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chop said:

I care more about speed than quality; 90% of the food I consume is all microwaved up.

Funny to see people acting pretentious about not using microwaves though. This is some "I don't own a TV!" shit and it's pretty great.

my family gets all uppity with me about the fact that I don't have a cable subscription. All of my entertainment is fed through internet. Because internet is invariably better than anything on television... even when it's television shows downloaded from internet. Internet content tastes better.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I think in the latest installment of the Giant Bombcast Vinny just proved that not owning a microwave doesn't correlate to healthy living. I guess we can throw that theory out the window.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chop said:

I care more about speed than quality; 90% of the food I consume is all microwaved up.

Funny to see people acting pretentious about not using microwaves though. This is some "I don't own a TV!" shit and it's pretty great.

my family gets all uppity with me about the fact that I don't have a cable subscription. All of my entertainment is fed through internet. Because internet is invariably better than anything on television... even when it's television shows downloaded from internet. Internet content tastes better.

Also it's crazy how much you get used to not having 10 minutes worth of gross ads interjected into every show with the glorious internet.

But I don't know how some people can live without a microwave. It would take me 15 minutes to heat up a god damn bowl of soup and have to wash double the dishes. And it wouldn't even be healthier(?).

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By tsutohiro

Last-nights pizza, canned soup, ramen, tea, yesterdays coffee first thing in the morning when I can't wait for new coffee to brew, etc. I'm pretty sure I'd die without a microwave.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Last-nights pizza, canned soup, ramen, tea, yesterdays coffee first thing in the morning when I can't wait for new coffee to brew, etc. I'm pretty sure I'll die because of a microwave.

Fixed.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandabear:

@tsutohiro said:

Last-nights pizza, canned soup, ramen, tea, yesterdays coffee first thing in the morning when I can't wait for new coffee to brew, etc. I'm pretty sure I'll die because of a microwave.

Fixed.

I'm not a brain scientist, technically speaking, but I'm pretty sure all the electromagnetic radiation I get staring at my nuking food will save me.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I did find it a little weird. I don't eat anything that would have "microwave directions" on it, but I use mine a lot for certain leftovers. If I had a family though I could see not ever having leftovers.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I made dinner in a minute and 30 seconds tonight. It was terrible and amazing.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is insane that Vinny does not own a microwave.