#151 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19382 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Moreover, if you really want to bring up gun laws, it should be pointed out that schools and theatres (where recent shootings have occurred) are gun-free zones.

I think when people talk about "gun laws", they specifically mean in terms of owning them and acquiring them.

#152 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@George_Hukas said:

No matter what side you are on, if you use this as your propaganda for your shitty gun control arguments, you're a terrible person.

Timothy McVeigh don't need no gun.

I would argue that sitting around and doing sweet fuck all, instead of discussing solutions to a serious problem, is more likely to make you a terrible person.

#153 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Mageman said:

@Sooty said:

Surprise surprise. How many more lives need to be lost to tighten gun laws in America?

and agree with @Bourbon_Warrior: there's too many guns in circulation now, but they should still make it at least a little challenging to get a gun, the fact Walmarts sell guns creeps me out.

There is no correlation between gun laws and crime, Switzerland, Austria, Canada and Serbia also have pretty lax gun laws and it does not spike up the crime rate, that is a fact .

Yeah sure, I don't see school shootings multiple times a year in any country except the US. Don't even start with anything pro-gun ownership because you don't have a leg to stand on, the facts are there and a quick Google will show that the US has school shootings multiple times a year, just because some only have a few dead or injured doesn't mean they aren't happening.

Also, the Batman thing, good luck doing that in Britain with a knife. You'll get overpowered very quickly, with a gun? Yeah sure, you'll kill a lot of people quite easy which is what happened in the US.

I'm exiting this thread because these arguments about gun control really show some of the nuts on these forums, not necessarily you but others are there.

The two guns in this shooting were common hand guns and most assault weapons used in school shootings are illegally bought.

Are you seriously that naive to think that banning guns would somehow stop these things from happening? All it would do is stop normal folk from buying weapons and cause more criminals to benefit from selling this merchandise on the black market. You probably think the war on drugs is necessary and effective too. Your type of thinking is rash and dangerous and causing way more problems then they solve. Before we start talking about trying to solve these problems by throwing bills and laws at them we need to start asking ourselves why it is these things keep happening and how to prevent them methodically and orderly.

#154 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@mandude said:

@George_Hukas said:

No matter what side you are on, if you use this as your propaganda for your shitty gun control arguments, you're a terrible person.

I would argue that sitting around and doing sweet fuck all, instead of discussing solutions to a serious problem, is more likely to make you a terrible person.

Like you're really going to solve the great gun debate in this fucking thread.

#155 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

1. Instead of using this for the obvious thing people want to use it for - talking about gun laws in America, how about we focus on the families affected by this tragedy itself and how fucked up it is? Moreover, if you really want to bring up gun laws, it should be pointed out that schools and theatres (where recent shootings have occurred) are gun-free zones.

2. There was a possible second suspect and, as it stands, there is still an entire classroom that is unaccounted for from when they evacuated outside. THAT is something of more concern at the moment.

We can all get into the political implications of gun laws and shit at a later time. Right now, my heart goes out to the families and I hope that Newtown, Conn. can find out everything that happened before trying to take things back to as close to normal. I cannot imagine how hard that community is being hit by this right now.

So my question to you now is, is it too soon to talk about Gun Laws? 

Because to someone with a brain, it seems like it's too late. 
#156 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@George_Hukas

The best time to talk about the issue of gun control is when something like this happens. I'd rather things like this be fresh in people's minds, reminding them of what's at stake. Someone said it best on twitter. "It's not too early to talk about gun control. It's too late." Something has to be done and I'm fucking tired of people putting it off every single goddamn time a gunman murders dozens of people. It's been nearly six months since the movie theater shooting and not one new gun control regulation.
#157 Posted by development (2612 posts) -

@mandude said:

@George_Hukas said:

Breaking News: in wake of CT disaster, gun control issue solved on Giantbomb.com.

#158 Posted by jakob187 (21755 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I get the point. I just think that it's sickening how people will automatically turn to the politics of gun laws/gun-free zones/all that shit before they even express an ounce of concern for the families and community affected by this whole thing in general. There are a lot of parents right now that are scared, a lot of kids right now that are petrified, and an entire town that is freaked out right now. There are some families whose kids aren't coming back home. It's fucked up. It's something that we all as a nation need to think about in our own lives: are we personally ready for anything like this to happen if we were in their position? I've thought a lot about it as I turned 30 this year. I lived life carefree, and now I'm seeing it from a different angle. It could be the whole "found a woman I love that loves me as well, new car, new house, getting life in order for the future" scenario coming around...but goddamn, I cannot imagine what it's like to be in that scenario at all.

If you wanna talk about how this affects me in terms of gun laws, I'm definitely going to be getting my CHL within the next few months now. I'm not putting it off any longer. I'm probably going to encourage my girlfriend to get hers as well.

#159 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime: Maybe China should have stricter knife laws. Thats pretty crazy.

#160 Edited by Matterless (328 posts) -

Numbers keep going up: 29 dead, including 22 children. Gunman's parent found dead in home. http://t.co/KNoGk7UC

#161 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@mandude said:

@George_Hukas said:

Exactly. Unless you're planning to use the vast knowledge you gain here somewhere other than internet forums, I don't understand how you could possibly think you're helping anyone. I'm not saying I am either, I just don't understand your logic.

#162 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (514 posts) -

The sad part is that most of these school shootings and massacre style killings are so hard to prevent. Most of the attackers in these situations have severe mental instability, ranging from psychopathic to extremely depressive, and it's horrible when this happens in those situations. There is absolutely something that needs to be done about the culture of guns in the US, but I won't pretend to know the answer.

#163 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@mandude said:

@George_Hukas said:

Point out to me where I said that this thread was the apex of the gun control debate, and I will concede to you that you may have a point. Nearly anything, on its own, is going to insignificant. That does not mean such lethargy is justified.

#164 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@mandude said:

@George_Hukas said:

Really propaganda? how about America actually does something for once after a massacre. Last time I can think any change happen was when Micheal Moores "Propaganda" film Bowling for Columbine made Wal Mart restrict how much ammo they could sell someone. And that is a pretty small change, in 1996 in Australia you had the Port Arthur massacre that killed 35 and wounded 21 people. In the after math to that the citizens pressured the government to do something, they listened and started the gun buy back scheme that offered more money for your guns than what they were worth. They got 631,000 guns of the streets which is not bad for a country of 18,000,000 people. It was something, I haven't seen America do jack shit after any of these massacres, they debate about it for a few days then it goes silent until a few months later when the next one happens.

#165 Posted by RecSpec (3925 posts) -

I hate that whenever a tragedy like this happens, a lot of people's first thought is politics. It becomes this vicious cycle where people start running their mouth one way or another, then people say something to counter that, and it's just a fucking mess. 

My thoughts go out to the people in that school and their families and even people that know them. Please at least give them a brief time of mourning before you start arguing about gun laws.

#166 Posted by OTTO14 (18 posts) -

This the most fucked up thing I have seen since 911

#167 Posted by Matterless (328 posts) -

Since 2007, the Brady Campaign has spent $475,800 lobbying for stricter gun laws. National Rifle Association has spent $13.9 million.

#168 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Trainer_Red said:

@Sooty said:

@Mageman said:

@Sooty said:

Surprise surprise. How many more lives need to be lost to tighten gun laws in America?

and agree with @Bourbon_Warrior: there's too many guns in circulation now, but they should still make it at least a little challenging to get a gun, the fact Walmarts sell guns creeps me out.

There is no correlation between gun laws and crime, Switzerland, Austria, Canada and Serbia also have pretty lax gun laws and it does not spike up the crime rate, that is a fact .

Yeah sure, I don't see school shootings multiple times a year in any country except the US. Don't even start with anything pro-gun ownership because you don't have a leg to stand on, the facts are there and a quick Google will show that the US has school shootings multiple times a year, just because some only have a few dead or injured doesn't mean they aren't happening.

Also, the Batman thing, good luck doing that in Britain with a knife. You'll get overpowered very quickly, with a gun? Yeah sure, you'll kill a lot of people quite easy which is what happened in the US.

I'm exiting this thread because these arguments about gun control really show some of the nuts on these forums, not necessarily you but others are there.

The two guns in this shooting were common hand guns and most assault weapons used in school shootings are illegally bought.

Are you seriously that naive to think that banning guns would somehow stop these things from happening? All it would do is stop normal folk from buying weapons and cause more criminals to benefit from selling this merchandise on the black market. You probably think the war on drugs is necessary and effective too. Your type of thinking is rash and dangerous and causing way more problems then they solve. Before we start talking about trying to solve these problems by throwing bills and laws at them we need to start asking ourselves why it is these things keep happening and how to prevent them methodically and orderly.

I don't think calling someone naive makes you look smart when they brought up a great point, noway any of these massacres would of happened with a knife.

#169 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -

Don't worry guys America is doing something about it! 

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/12/sweeping_changes_in_michigans.html 

" allowing concealed pistols in schools and other places".....

#170 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

@thevigilanteoflove: As someone with a history of "mental instability" and who knows a lot of people who fit that category as well, I assure y'all that better mental healthcare could have done so much for these poor people.

#171 Edited by Nals (81 posts) -

@Ekpyroticuniverse: You are correct, and I am not. I assumed it was the other way around after a quick Wikipedia browse.

I apologize for being so angry, it's just annoying. Even if guns are the problems, gun control laws won't help. A quick look at Russia would show that even with the best intentions, not being an island nations immediately breaks all chance of that as an answer. I'm no gun nut, and don't think people need guns of any sort, but gun control is pointless, and just pushes attention away from the real issue.

And thats the mental health issue of living in such a large nation. Due to a number of things, from MACHISMO and Hollywood glorifying violence, low standards and quality of living, and low social focus, people in places like China, Russia and the US tend to have more mental problems then those of other nations, yet out health care structure is nonexistent. Going to therapy is seen as a weakness in most cases, having mental problems is handwaved away as not being strong enough to do things yourself, etc etc. So these things fester and are sparked off by cheesy Hollywood films saying this is how MEN handle problems.

The debate needs to be brought up, and things need to happen, but gun control alone is not the answer. All that will achieve is taking guns away, but the incident in China shows exactly what happens in a nation that manages to get the guns away, the social issues still remain, and the violence keeps going. It's an "easy" fix to a hard problem, and it's not really a fix at all. I wouldn't mind so much if both things got brought up equally, but no, look at the news now, all it is is people screaming about gun control again. How many more school shootings until thats passed, and then how many school stabbings until the heart of the issue gets fixed. Why not just focus on both now, and save a bunch of lives in the process.

Anyways, I'm leaving this thread, as the whole event just makes me angry.

#172 Posted by Tesla (1944 posts) -

Tragic.

How many more times does this need to happen before we realize the need to change our antiquated gun laws? The US is no longer in danger of a ground invasion with a need to quickly assemble militias for defense.

There was also a mass stabbing in a Chinese school today. So far none of the victims have died.

My thoughts are with all of those affected by this. Unimaginable what this must feel like.

#173 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
I hate that whenever a tragedy like this happens, a lot of people's first thought is politics. It becomes this vicious cycle where people start running their mouth one way or another, then people say something to counter that, and it's just a fucking mess.  My thoughts go out to the people in that school and their families and even people that know them. Please at least give them a brief time of mourning before you start arguing about gun laws.
Yeah, because last time people said "shut uuuup, our gun control isn't the problem. Like, come ooon, it's not that bad. Let's just mourn with these families" it sure helped a lot.  
Except of course the part where both sides decided to shut up and let it happen again
#174 Posted by Matterless (328 posts) -

RT TheMatthewKeys: CBS News confirms CT gunman's mother was a teacher at the elementary school, she is among those dead

#175 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Degringolade said:

Since 2007, the Brady Campaign has spent $475,800 lobbying for stricter gun laws. National Rifle Association has spent $13.9 million.

And this is why Obama has made it easier to buy weapons for the NRA than even Bush allowed.

#176 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Trainer_Red said:

@Napalm said:

Exactly. Unless you're planning to use the vast knowledge you gain here somewhere other than internet forums, I don't understand how you could possibly think you're helping anyone. I'm not saying I am either, I just don't understand your logic.

As you have already made apparent, it would be stupid if my logic relied on Giantbomb being the sole platform people use to take action. So given that you suggested that, why did you then assume that was the case?

Things need to be discussed, before action can properly be taken. The fact that upwards of 20 people can be gunned down by an armed madman with relative ease is something that affects us all. I don't see how discussion can be voided simply because of the website on which it takes place.

@development said:

@mandude said:

Breaking News: in wake of CT disaster, gun control issue solved on Giantbomb.com.

For that to be a decent response, it would require me to have said that Giantbomb is at the forefront of gun control politics.

Just to clarify: I didn't.

#177 Posted by RecSpec (3925 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
@RecSpec said:
I hate that whenever a tragedy like this happens, a lot of people's first thought is politics. It becomes this vicious cycle where people start running their mouth one way or another, then people say something to counter that, and it's just a fucking mess.  My thoughts go out to the people in that school and their families and even people that know them. Please at least give them a brief time of mourning before you start arguing about gun laws.
Yeah, because last time people said "shut uuuup, our gun control isn't the problem. Like, come ooon, it's not that bad. Let's just mourn with these families" it sure helped a lot.  Except of course the part where both sides decided to shut up and let it happen again
You're right, THIS is the tragedy where we turn it around an all violent crimes end. We've finally had enough. 
 Face it, most people in this topic will forget about this in two weeks, only to remember "OH SHIT, GUNS" when the next tragedy happens.  
The families and others involved won't, and I don't think fixing gun laws will help them get back what they lost.
#178 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

@ZeForgotten said:
@RecSpec said:
I hate that whenever a tragedy like this happens, a lot of people's first thought is politics. It becomes this vicious cycle where people start running their mouth one way or another, then people say something to counter that, and it's just a fucking mess. My thoughts go out to the people in that school and their families and even people that know them. Please at least give them a brief time of mourning before you start arguing about gun laws.
Yeah, because last time people said "shut uuuup, our gun control isn't the problem. Like, come ooon, it's not that bad. Let's just mourn with these families" it sure helped a lot. Except of course the part where both sides decided to shut up and let it happen again
You're right, THIS is the tragedy where we turn it around an all violent crimes end. We've finally had enough. Face it, most people in this topic will forget about this in two weeks, only to remember "OH SHIT, GUNS" when the next tragedy happens. The families and others involved won't, and I don't think fixing gun laws will help them get back what they lost.

Exactly this. Obama won't do anything with all the NRA money his party gets. America never changes, what was the last major bill that actually changed anything in America, The Patriot Act?

#179 Edited by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

" allowing concealed pistols in schools and other places".....

But, but if those 8-year-old children would've been armed - because freedom! - they could've stopped the shooter. /NRA

#180 Posted by John1912 (1957 posts) -

Jesus Christ! 18 kids dead? http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-connecticut-school-shooting-20121214,0,3154787.story

#181 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

But if those 8-year-old children would've been armed - because freedom! - they could've stopped the shooter. /NRA

But if you don't allow concealed carry people won't go into schools and shoot them up! /idiots

#182 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@RecSpec said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@RecSpec said:
Yeah, because last time people said "shut uuuup, our gun control isn't the problem. Like, come ooon, it's not that bad. Let's just mourn with these families" it sure helped a lot.  Except of course the part where both sides decided to shut up and let it happen again
You're right, THIS is the tragedy where we turn it around an all violent crimes end. We've finally had enough.  Face it, most people in this topic will forget about this in two weeks, only to remember "OH SHIT, GUNS" when the next tragedy happens.  The families and others involved won't, and I don't think fixing gun laws will help them get back what they lost.
I never said that, but nice try. 

In my mind all I hear when people say there isn't a problem with the laws regarding guns are "But I want these kind of news. I get off from watching what guns can do" 
And then a lot of white noise because it usually ends with "Guns are good. there is no problem" 
#183 Posted by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

@FengShuiGod said:

@CptBedlam said:

But if those 8-year-old children would've been armed - because freedom! - they could've stopped the shooter. /NRA

But if you don't allow concealed carry people won't go into schools and shoot them up! /idiots

But having guns around at places like schools is guaranteed to improve everything!

#184 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@ZeForgotten
@RecSpec said:
Yeah, because last time people said "shut uuuup, our gun control isn't the problem. Like, come ooon, it's not that bad. Let's just mourn with these families" it sure helped a lot.  
Except of course the part where both sides decided to shut up and let it happen again
Yuuuuup. Doing nothing to prevent more attacks is far more insulting to the memories of the victims than "politicizing" this tragedy. I'm sick of hearing about kids being murdered, and I want action taken to prevent it.
#185 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19382 posts) -

@John1912 said:

Jesus Christ! 18 kids dead? http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-connecticut-school-shooting-20121214,0,3154787.story

#186 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

This is absolutely horrible, and while I do think it should be an incident that should be observed, now is not the time to make it political. These people need time to mourn, and all the people talking about gun laws today need to leave things be and keep the focus on the incident itself, for now at least. I do have my own opinions on gun laws, but now's not the time.

Also, I don't think these journalists should be talking to the children/parents of the deceased now. Again, give the people some time to grieve.

#187 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@FengShuiGod said:

@CptBedlam said:

But having guns around at places like schools is guaranteed to improve everything!

Hey he gave me a wedgie, I'm going to shoot him.

#188 Posted by Matterless (328 posts) -

@Xtrememuffinman said:

This is absolutely horrible, and while I do think it should be an incident that should be observed, now is not the time to make it political. These people need time to mourn, and all the people talking about gun laws today need to leave things be and keep the focus on the incident itself, for now at least. I do have my own opinions on gun laws, but now's not the time. Also, I don't think these journalists should be talking to the children/parents of the deceased now. Again, give the people some time to grieve.

Interviewing these kids is disgusting. But this is exactly the time to make it political. The American memory lasts about a week, and I'm not going to be cowed into not speaking out because it's "inappropriate."

#189 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19382 posts) -

Haha, apparently the media have been plastering pics of this guy everywhere as though he was the murderer?:

Oops.

#190 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@FengShuiGod said:

@CptBedlam said:

But making laws to keep them out of schools is sure to prevent people shooting up schools!

#191 Posted by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

@FengShuiGod said:

@CptBedlam said:

@FengShuiGod said:

@CptBedlam said:

But making laws to keep them out of schools is sure to prevent people shooting up schools!

But why make it even worse?

#192 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

I don't even know if it's hit here yet, but it's not this guy. Do not go after this guy

#193 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@FengShuiGod said:

@CptBedlam said:

@FengShuiGod said:

@CptBedlam said:

But why make it even worse?

How does allowing concealed carry make it worse, exactly? Is a criminal not going to hide his gun because there is a law saying he can't tuck it in his pocket?

#194 Posted by Rokkaku (223 posts) -

A lot of the responses in this thread are cool-headed and sensible, it's pleasing to see. I would second the call for greater mental health care, although not being a US citizen I'm not going to pretend like I know best. However, what I would say is that although this is a truly terrible act, it's crucial that this person, whoever they are, aren't demonised. When they were born, and were the age that many of the victims were today, I truly doubt they were anything other than a normal child, just like the rest of us. However, something went wrong along the way, something that was never fixed, and, for whatever reason, this act seemed like some kind of solution. It's a truly upsetting thought, and, for me, at least, the debate should not be about gun control but about mental healthcare. If this person had someone to talk to when they were 10, 15, 20, there is at least a chance that this would never have happened.

#195 Posted by jking47 (1247 posts) -

This is just sick. What the fuck is wrong with him. It is looking like he killed his dad then went to his moms school and opened fire in her KINDERGARTEN class, killed her too. I am usually all for reviewing mental health stuff, this person was obviously not right in the head, but this is to far. I don't care what mental problems you have, you know better than to shoot up an elementary school.

#196 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

@FengShuiGod said:

@CptBedlam said:

That's shitty. Don't use tragedy to push political agenda. Especially immediately after the tragedy. Assholes.

#197 Posted by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Haha, apparently the media have been plastering pics of this guy everywhere as though he was the murderer?:

Oops.

Responsible journalism at its best.

#198 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2173 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Oops.

Wait is that real? Where did you get it?

#199 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Trainer_Red said:

@Sooty said:

@Mageman said:

@Sooty said:

I don't think calling someone naive makes you look smart when they brought up a great point, noway any of these massacres would of happened with a knife.

Well it's true and it's not like Sooty has ever gave me the benefit of the doubt when it comes to debating about these things, so I see no reason to limit myself when messaging him. I also just wrote down right there ^ that just because something is illegal doesn't mean people won't have a means to gain access to them. One of these examples are the War on Drugs and Prohibition. In theory the thought of banning and making things we don't like illegal should be effective, but in the endgame all they do is 1.) Allow criminals to benefit from these laws. 2.) Punish innocent people who just want to express their constitutional rights and 3.) Give the federal government more power over state power. What makes you think a person who has no problem with shooting 18 kids won't resort to buying smuggled guns from the black market?

#200 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Oops.

Hope this guy gets alot of money out of the news networks incompetence misreporting stories just to be FIRST!!11