Posted by Ramenshaman (8 posts) -

The Mars Volta's debut album Deloused in the Comatorium, was released back in 2003, on Universal Records.

The Good

The albums sound can definitely be described has being futuristic prog. With the help of the sound effects done by "Jeremy Michael Ward" Really help give the album it's very futuristic feeling, and a very unique sound. Also with the help of some very hectic Musicianship really help give the album it's very progressive feeling, and again, a very unique sound. Also along with the great musicianship, the album has some fantastic vocal performances. By "Cedric Bixler Zavala" witch really help give the album a great sense of epicness. With some of the best examples of the that epicness, are with the tracks "Inertiatic Esp" "Roulette Dares" and my personal favorite "Eriatarka". Witch are three tracks that have fantastic chorus's, and some very memorable moments.

The Bad

The middle portion of the track "Cicatriz esp". Is very boring, and really slows down the album. But besides that, the song overall is still really good.

The Verdict

Deloused in the Comatorium is definitely a album you should check out. If your a fan of any experimental music or just music in general, and overall. The album just does it for me. 9.5/10

#1 Posted by Ramenshaman (8 posts) -

The Mars Volta's debut album Deloused in the Comatorium, was released back in 2003, on Universal Records.

The Good

The albums sound can definitely be described has being futuristic prog. With the help of the sound effects done by "Jeremy Michael Ward" Really help give the album it's very futuristic feeling, and a very unique sound. Also with the help of some very hectic Musicianship really help give the album it's very progressive feeling, and again, a very unique sound. Also along with the great musicianship, the album has some fantastic vocal performances. By "Cedric Bixler Zavala" witch really help give the album a great sense of epicness. With some of the best examples of the that epicness, are with the tracks "Inertiatic Esp" "Roulette Dares" and my personal favorite "Eriatarka". Witch are three tracks that have fantastic chorus's, and some very memorable moments.

The Bad

The middle portion of the track "Cicatriz esp". Is very boring, and really slows down the album. But besides that, the song overall is still really good.

The Verdict

Deloused in the Comatorium is definitely a album you should check out. If your a fan of any experimental music or just music in general, and overall. The album just does it for me. 9.5/10

#2 Posted by csl316 (8181 posts) -

I occasionally listen to these guys, but never idolized them like many do. Televators was good off Deloused, especially. I've always enjoyed their slower stuff, although Bedlam an the album that blew me away with its drumming. Aberinkula!

#3 Posted by ripelivejam (3587 posts) -

this is one of the most brickwalled, loud-as-fuck albums i've ever heard, production wise. even if i have my volume on ipod a couple notches from zero it still shatters my eardrums. i think people have forgotten about a little thing called dynamics. loudness war, head-fi, etc.

that being said, it's a pretty decent album that i've only heard recently. the lyrics manage to be even more nonsensical than Relationship of Command and at the same time don't sound QUITE as cool, but they do the job. might need to give it a few more spins.

also: patrick should join, he'd fit right in.

#4 Edited by evanbower (1210 posts) -

Thanks. I've been holding off buying this until the reviews came in.

EDIT: Should I pick up Dr. Dre's "The Chronic"?

#5 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

televators is pretty awesome.

#6 Posted by ripelivejam (3587 posts) -

@evanbower: nah, generic indie bullshit. get the new grizzly bear instead.

#7 Posted by EVO (3871 posts) -

Classic album.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

I dislike deloused, and I don't know why...

my favorites are The Bedlam in Goliath and Amputechture

#9 Posted by adam1808 (1389 posts) -

Now I'm lost.

#10 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

@adam1808:ho HO

#11 Posted by adam1808 (1389 posts) -

@hwy_61 said:

@adam1808:ho HO

I'm here all week.

#12 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

Deloused is an amazing album, but Frances the Mute is their best.

#13 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3112 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

this is one of the most brickwalled, loud-as-fuck albums i've ever heard, production wise. even if i have my volume on ipod a couple notches from zero it still shatters my eardrums. i think people have forgotten about a little thing called dynamics. loudness war, head-fi, etc.

that being said, it's a pretty decent album that i've only heard recently. the lyrics manage to be even more nonsensical than Relationship of Command and at the same time don't sound QUITE as cool, but they do the job. might need to give it a few more spins.

also: patrick should join, he'd fit right in.

That's because Rick Rubin likes shit LOUD!

#14 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@evanbower said:

Thanks. I've been holding off buying this until the reviews came in.

EDIT: Should I pick up Dr. Dre's "The Chronic"?

lol

#15 Posted by washingmachine (102 posts) -

The slowness in Cicatriz is the best part! I remember all those drippy noises making me need to go to the toilet in university.

#16 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3112 posts) -

@washingmachine said:

The slowness in Cicatriz is the best part! I remember all those drippy noises making me need to go to the toilet in university.

The Fall of Troy's "Macaulay McCulkin" has an interlude that's extremely similar to the one in Cicatriz and it's AWESOME.

#17 Posted by Daneian (1208 posts) -

This is one of my favorite albums ever. Wish i could care as much about their more recent stuff.

#18 Posted by doosmacleod (186 posts) -

I went to a TMV concert back a few months before the release of Frances the Mute. The concert was like 4 hours long. I'm pretty sure they only played 5 songs. Inertiatic ESP, Cicatriz ESP, Televators, Concertina and Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt.

Both Cicatriz and Take the Veil featured a 10-ish minute drum solo and bass solo.

It was awesome. I should have sat down at some point, but I was so second-hand high that I couldn't concentrate enough to sit.

ATDI, TMV and to a lesser extent Sparta really were at the center of my musical nature through high school and college.