• 83 results
#1 Edited by Commando (1877 posts) -

UPDATE: The latest report from MSNBC says that they believe the second victim's body they found was the shooter himself, since a weapon was found near his body. So they have lifted the lockdown and told students to go on with their daily lives.

If this is true, I feel for the dead Police officer's family and will keep them in my prayers.

------------------------------------

Man. This is not what Virginia Tech needs after the last one which was a massacre in 2007 which resulted in 32 deaths.

The suspect is described as white male, with gray sweat pants, gray hat, with neon green brim, maroon hoodie and backpack.

He's already killed two people, and one of them was a police officer. The suspect is still at large.

Here's a USA Today link that they update every 20 minutes or so.

Let's just pray the only other person who dies is the shooter.

Is there anyone here who is a student at Virginia Tech? What's the overall reaction around campus like right now? And stay safe!

#2 Posted by falling_fast (2147 posts) -

another shooting? maybe people will stop going there altogether.

#3 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Man, what are they putting in the water over there?

#4 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

Oh and here's a live stream of a local news channel in that area.

#5 Posted by TurboMan (6957 posts) -

I'm not a student there, but I do live a few hours away and have dozens of friends there right now. Today was a Reading Day(couple of days off before final exams), so the campus itself wasn't really populated. The security has been beefed up insanely since 2007, so it's impossible for no one to not know what's going on over there, and everyone (all my friends on facebook at least) is secure in their dorms/apartments.

#6 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I knew Virginia Tech sounded familiar!

#7 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -

What the hell is happening over there? Mucho sympathies. :(

#8 Posted by tekmojo (2298 posts) -

A lot of my close friends went there in 2007, I was Radford University about 30 minutes away. Seeing that campus the night after it happened was more than eerie. We picked up some friends and took them off campus for the night. Prayers go out to the victims.

#9 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

@TurboMan said:

I'm not a student there, but I do live a few hours away and have dozens of friends there right now. Today was a Reading Day(couple of days off before final exams), so the campus itself wasn't really populated. The security has been beefed up insanely since 2007, so it's impossible for no one to not know what's going on over there, and everyone (all my friends on facebook at least) is secure in their dorms/apartments.

Then it sounds like it will be difficult for him to find more victims as long as people stay in their rooms.

I hope they can take him out before he does more damage.

#10 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Ugh not again.

#11 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -

I say screw any formalities and shoot that bastard till his blood covers the pavement.

#12 Posted by Aas (600 posts) -

Fuck, again? That's a shame.

#13 Posted by Village_Guy (2410 posts) -

That's sad and even at the same place, man some people will get messed up in their minds after these two shootings...

They better nail the bastard, let's just hope no-one else gets hurt.

#14 Posted by Sjupp (1901 posts) -
#15 Posted by Cronus42 (270 posts) -

I'm a student there, all the dorms are on lockdown, in my room with the news on. Shootings happened on the other side of campus, but there were gunshots reported and a sighting right outside my building apparently. Cops everywhere. No one knows who the second victim is yet, most likely a student.

#16 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Damn. I hope they catch the bastard soon.

#17 Posted by Aetheldod (3344 posts) -

:(

take care duders

#18 Posted by tekmojo (2298 posts) -
@Cronus42: Be safe man.
#19 Posted by Sjupp (1901 posts) -

@Cronus42 said:

I'm a student there, all the dorms are on lockdown, in my room with the news on. Shootings happened on the other side of campus, but there were gunshots reported and a sighting right outside my building apparently. Cops everywhere. No one knows who the second victim is yet, most likely a student.

Goddamn. Best of luck to you man <3

#20 Posted by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -

I think im a bad person because my first thought when I saw this was "man 4chan will be amazing tonight."

#21 Posted by wumbo3000 (904 posts) -

My god. This is horrible. Please, whoever is there, stay safe.

#22 Posted by NegativeCero (2928 posts) -

Prayers with the people there. Shame it happened again. Hopefully it ends soon.

#23 Edited by pixieface (122 posts) -

Goddamn it, not again. Horrible. My best wishes, thoughts, and sympathies go out to everyone there.

@Cronus42 said:

Bunker down and lock your doors, my friend. Please stay safe. :(

#24 Posted by SSully (4060 posts) -

@Jeffsekai said:

I think im a bad person because my first thought when I saw this was "man 4chan will be amazing tonight."

Yup, you are a bad person.

#25 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I'm a student here. Everyone's pretty freaked out. Keep us in your prayers.

#26 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@Commando said:

Oh and here's a live stream of a local news channel in that area.

lol CNN is doing a livestream of a live feed of WSLS using Windows Media Player 10

#27 Posted by VodkaMedia (41 posts) -

This is how our justice system works:

The police try to catch the guy, they kill him if there is ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER OPTION.

That's basically how it works. They would NOT kill the man, unless it's a firefight or something that puts people in immediate danger.

On a... humorous tone, what they probably will do (as far as I know) is lock him in some prison until he dies. You know, give him shelter, food, all that. We're just nice like that, right?

#28 Posted by Cronus42 (270 posts) -

Scary thing is hes probably off campus right now, my dorms are about 100 yards from main street. If he came through here hes probably gone. On the bright side he abandoned his car after the first shooting, they know who he is, do they are going to get him eventually.

#29 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -
@Cronus42 said:

Stay strong soldier. And keep away from the door! :(
#30 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

what's weird to me is the shooting apparently started over a traffic stop although who knows what the guy was mixed up in could have shot the cop to escape because he had a warrant out for him or something.

#31 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Suspect is still at large. Wow, the previous one was in 2007. I hope they catch the son of a bitch.

#32 Posted by Little_Socrates (5651 posts) -

Hope they get this guy before he's able to do any more damage. My prayers are with the victims and those of you at VTech, who are probably somewhere between unnerved and scared out of your wits.

I'd say I can't believe it's happening at VTech again, but I believe insanity can only inspire more insanity. Let the cycle end here.

#33 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

Jesus, was that place built on an ancient Indian burial ground?

#34 Posted by WiFiPirate (135 posts) -

Most of my friends went to Tech. Living pretty close to it and hearing this happen again is terrible. At least this time it seems that they handled it much better. It's amazing sometimes how people will band together to help cope with things like this. I remember the shirts they made after William Morva shot that sheriff's deputy.

#35 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1303 posts) -

The guy shot a cop during a pull-over? Someone get this fucker fast!

#36 Posted by Cronus42 (270 posts) -

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Seems like the cops really have no idea where he is. a whole lot of swat, ATF, normal cops just standing around apparently. No one running around on the newsfeeds or what people can see from the upper floors of the taller dorms. Hopefully they get something soon.

#37 Posted by Jerr (531 posts) -

America, fuck no.

#38 Posted by tekmojo (2298 posts) -

@TehFlan said:

I'm a student here. Everyone's pretty freaked out. Keep us in your prayers.

Word.

#39 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -

Hope you guys over there are doing fine! This is just terrible.

#40 Posted by Little_Socrates (5651 posts) -
#41 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

So they're saying they believe the second body they found was the shooter? Dang that's insane. They should do screen tests for crazy people like that before they let them into a major university. If they're right though, that's a huge relief. I was fearing that this guy might be a copycat of the 2007 guy, and might try to out-do him. I feel for the police officer's family though and will keep them in my prayers.

A gunman shot and killed a Virginia Tech University police officer Thursday, university officials said. Police said a second person was later found dead.

At a news conference late Thursday afternoon, police said only that the second body was that of a white male and that a weapon was found nearby.

They said they couldn't officially comment on whether the second person was the gunman, but authorities told NBC's Pete Williams that they believed the second victim was the man who shot the campus officer during a traffic stop that went wrong.

#42 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2780 posts) -

Vtech just kicked in, yo. I don't know how people get any studying done over there.

#43 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

i am an alumni living in blacksburg and was a student in 07.

woke up today at 1pm to this. somehow i was not shocked or surprised, just sad. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE

@Commando said:

They should do screen tests for crazy people like that before they let them into a major university.

no, they should do that before you are allowed to buy a fucking gun.

latest info is that the shooter was NOT the person pulled over in the traffic stop, but a 3rd party that walked up to the cop and shot him in his car. a student saw a responding officer arrive to the scene, opened the cruiser door, and the dead officer fell out of the car.

#44 Posted by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

@Popskinz said:

I say screw any formalities and shoot that bastard till his blood covers the pavement.

I'm with you on this one.

#45 Posted by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

@Jerr said:

America, fuck no.

Really? Do you enjoy your computer? Because I can guarantee without America you would be missing some key components.

#46 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

That's pretty awful. Thank god it didn't go any farther.

#47 Posted by Jerr (531 posts) -

@BlinkyTM said:

@Jerr said:

America, fuck no.

Really? Do you enjoy your computer? Because I can guarantee without America you would be missing some key components.

I'm not going to have an argument about patriotism in this thread.

#48 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

You know, it may sound weird, but my first thought was: "MAN! What about VTech's reputation? What will happen in the aftermath?". But seriously, i hope everybody's safe. 

@BlinkyTM said:

@Popskinz said:

I'm with you on this one.

Also, are you crazy? His blood covering the pavement? He deserves worse than that.
#49 Posted by Insectecutor (1170 posts) -

@BlinkyTM said:

@Jerr said:

America, fuck no.

He meant wtf is wrong with America, not fuck America. Watch Team America. America.

Sorry to hear this news. Hope it's over now.

#50 Edited by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

@Insectecutor said:

@BlinkyTM said:

@Jerr said:

America, fuck no.

He meant wtf is wrong with America, not fuck America. Watch Team America. America.

Sorry to hear this news. Hope it's over now.

I watched Team America. I hate seeing comments like that when something like this happens.