#1 Posted by Raven_Sword (3438 posts) -

See, when I was a kid, I was a bit of a kleptomaniac. I stole trading cards and even from my cousins on three deperate occasions. One was a set of trading cards, one was a necklace, and one was even a class ring. These incidents with the cousins are what I want to bring up today. See, I never confessed this to anyone before and I did secretly return all the items (to my recollection atleast). Basicaly, I hid them under the bed or something to return them. Now, this happened when I was like 11 or something. I'm 23 now. I have no idea why, but I guess I always felt shame and guilt about this my cousins never found out ( to my knowledge) and they've always acted like they have before ever since towards me, which is with love and all that. Ever since I maybe only stole one other thing from a store when I was like 15, but never again since. I made it a conscious decision to never do it again and be the most honest person I can be. My question is should I still feel guilty for never confessing stealing from my cousins and the other times I didn't confess after such a long time. Is their any point confessing this after such a long time?

#2 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

I say just tell your cousins. It's been 12 years they'll probably just find the entire thing humorous. We all do stupid shit when we're kids; I doubt they'll hold it against you (especially since you gave the stuff back).

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Are you my cousin? My cousin stole my Pokemon cards all the time.

#4 Posted by Pimpsandwich (72 posts) -

Yeah, I can't imagine they'd be pissed if you told them after all this time, especially since you eventually returned all of the stolen items. It would probably be best if you just confessed it to them, I can't imagine you'd still feel guilty once it's out there.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

Deny everything. Never admit fault.

#6 Posted by Ramone (2954 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

I say just tell your cousins. It's been 12 years they'll probably just find the entire thing humorous. We all do stupid shit when we're kids; I doubt they'll hold it against you (especially since you gave the stuff back).

Pretty much this, it's not like you stole stuff and never gave it back.

#7 Posted by Grillbar (1792 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Are you my cousin? My cousin stole my Pokemon cards all the time.

are you missing a charizard? sorry

#8 Posted by Raven_Sword (3438 posts) -

I'm really not sure how to approach them about it after so long without it seeming weird and coming out of nowhere. Is their even reason to feel guilt?

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Raven_Sword: Guilt is not subject to reason, sorry.
#11 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

I wouldn't worry about it. You returned the items, I think that's enough.

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10375 posts) -

If you still feel bad, then confess that you did it. Confess probably isn't the right word, but if you can tell them, and they forgive you, then that might be all your conscious needs.

#13 Posted by Raven_Sword (3438 posts) -

Ok. I couldn't actualy call them up to tell them, but I did text them. I know that might be informal, but I couldn't muster enough courage to actualy call them. Hope that is enough.

#14 Posted by Sagalla (214 posts) -

@Raven_Sword said:

Ok. I couldn't actualy call them up to tell them, but I did text them. I know that might be informal, but I couldn't muster enough courage to actualy call them. Hope that is enough.

My advice, which is now too late, would of been to wait until you saw them and have a laugh about it. Now it's just weird :/

#15 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Honestly? I wouldn't even bother. I mean doing stupid things is part of being a kid. The fact that you returned them and still feel guilty about it shows that you had no idea of the consequences of your actions. But if it would help you to get it off your chest and tell them, I'm sure they'll understand. Remember: an error turns into a mistake only if you fail to correct it, so since you returned the items I see no reason to feel guilty.

#16 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

I thought all kids steal...

#17 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

NEVER FEEL GUILTY ABOUT ANYTHING!

*kicks over babystroller*

#18 Posted by rachelepithet (1332 posts) -

Youre gonna grow up to be a serial killer, clearly.

#19 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1504 posts) -

@Raven_Sword said:

That's more than enough. They'll probably find it weird that you even care, because they probably don't.

I wouldn't feel bad about anything you did as a kid -- it would be weird if you didn't do anything morally questionable. It's been a while since I took psych, but testing the limits is a well-documented part of growing up. I don't know about you, but 11-year-old me was for all intents and purposes a different person. It would be like apologizing for what your ancestors did.

#20 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

You were 15. Just forget about it. They probably have.

#21 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Just tell them, like the other poster said it shouldn't be a big deal. I use to steal pokemon cards from walmart and gameboy games and other shit from my 3rd grade class mates.

#22 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I don't love this thread title, but oh well?

If nothing else, it's time to move on.

#23 Posted by Fobwashed (1887 posts) -

yo shoul no fee guilt abou an o tha stuf. Nobod care abou shi tha happene tha lon ag unles th item yo stol wer reall importan t the an yo didn giv the bac lik yo thin yo di. Jus forge abou i.

#24 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (375 posts) -

Kids do dumb stuff, hell, so do adults, but as a kid you had a compulsion for these things. You also had a conscience and returned them. You shouldn't beat yourself up about it.

Time to move on and not worry about it.

#25 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

Dirty thief! Nah, I was sort of klepto too, I stole candy from my local pharmacy all the time!