#1 Edited by natetodamax (19204 posts) -

Whenever somebody at my school played a game on their laptop, everyone would say things like "Look at you gaming" and "Wow you're a mad gamer." Should the word game really be a verb, or should it stay as a noun? It's kind of disturbing me.

#2 Posted by T0mF5 (929 posts) -

It's both.

#3 Posted by Meltbrain (2970 posts) -

It's really not that big a deal. Use the word in that context if you feel it's okay, don't if you feel it's dumb.

#4 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

As a King's Crusader, I'm obligated to promote game as a verb in order to further the legitimacy of the awesome catch-phrase "what games do you game." Listen to the Three Red Lights podcast for this and more. Thank you.

#5 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

Yeah it's both, depends on how you use it.  Kinda like the word "fuck" and how there's a billion different ways it can be used.  He fucked us, we just fucked up, we fucking knew it, etc etc.

Sorry for cursing, but that's a good example - you have to admit it.
#6 Posted by natetodamax (19204 posts) -
@Out_On_Bail said:
" Yeah it's both, depends on how you use it.  Kinda like the word "fuck" and how there's a billion different ways it can be used.  He fucked us, we just fucked up, we fucking knew it, etc etc.

Sorry for cursing, but that's a good example - you have to admit it.
"
That's true.
#7 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Yes. But only cool kids should be permitted its use.

#8 Posted by N3onThr33 (380 posts) -

It's a thing not a verb. People just use the word wrongly.

#9 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -
@N3onThr33: I don't think the question here is whether it is supposed to be already. But if we should accept its use as one from now on.

#10 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Nope not a verb. Sorry. Neither is 'Party'.

It annoys me that I use both as verbs.

#11 Posted by N3onThr33 (380 posts) -
@c1337us: Still don't think it should be used as a verb.
#12 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -
@N3onThr33: Me either. Sorry if my oringal post didnt make that clear. I was being an ass.
#13 Posted by N3onThr33 (380 posts) -
@c1337us: I act like that all time. No worries. Haha. :P
#14 Posted by rateoforange (403 posts) -

Nope, you shouldn't use game as a verb unless you're in marketing. Games are played. Systems are gamed.