Should I brush my teeth with bottled water??

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Alright, my state has issued a warning to boil all water before use due to our largest E. Coli scare ever, so I'm just gonna ask if I should be extra careful and use bottled water for brushing my teeth?

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd take the position of "better safe than sorry".

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By pyrodactyl

I don't think so. Water in Mexico isn't potable but they still use it to brush their teeth.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I came in thinking this was just you wanting to give your teeth that "extra clean" from bottled water. But when E Coli is involved, either boil all water for 15 minutes or use bottled. It doesn't really take that much water to brush your teeth anyway right, one bottle could probably last you between a few days to a week.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

um, are you from portland?

because they said it was fine today.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just boil the damn water and you should be fine. Using bottled water seems like a huge waste unless you plan to reuse that water afterwards.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should be fine boiling the water but if it helps your peace of mind I'd say go ahead and use bottled water.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Water in Mexico isn't potable but they still use it to brush their teeth.

It kind of is, though, at least to Mexicans. From what I remember, it's mostly people from out of Mexico who can't drink it, and that's because they're not used to what's in the water.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@animasta: Yeah I am. Thanks for the heads up. I got home from work, ate and went to brush my teeth like I normally do. I didn't check any news. Thanks.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Boil water and use that. Bottled water is overkill for brushing your teeth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Is Portland once again wrapped up in drinking water hysteria? The amount of shit that city does with regards to water is insane. Let's dump millions of gallons of water because some kid may have pissed in it. But don't worry about the animal feces and dead animals, that's just fine.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman

This was actually cleared up sometime yesterday. I was drinking a potentially contaminated soda a couple days back when the warning happened, but thankfully I'm still alive!

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How much water does it really take to brush your teeth? Like, 3 ounces? 4?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: Just boil some water and then use that. Using bottled water seems excessive.

Unless you have, like, a huge thing of bottled water already. Then why not?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aetheldod

@video_game_king said:

@pyrodactyl said:

Water in Mexico isn't potable but they still use it to brush their teeth.

It kind of is, though, at least to Mexicans. From what I remember, it's mostly people from out of Mexico who can't drink it, and that's because they're not used to what's in the water.

As the resident mexicano in these forums I can atest that we do wash our teeth with faucet water no problem (only more uptight people use bottled water , as some of my family members do) now drinking it though ... unless you like metallic taste it is a big no no or have appropiate filters installed , it also depends if you are using munincipal water or water from a water well etc. but most house holds use garrafones (big galons of purified bottled water) for human consumption (drinking and cooking). Tho I bet in poorer areas they have no choice in the matter :(

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

now drinking it though ... unless you like metallic taste it is a big no no or have appropiate filters installed

But the worry isn't shitting your organs out? (Poorer areas excluded, obviously.)

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Just boil the damn water and you should be fine. Using bottled water seems like a huge waste unless you plan to reuse that water afterwards.

boiling water for the recommended 15 minutes is a lot of wasted energy, and a single bottle of water could last like a week if you're only using it to brush your teeth. It seems a little cheaper to me.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod said:

now drinking it though ... unless you like metallic taste it is a big no no or have appropiate filters installed

But the worry isn't shitting your organs out? (Poorer areas excluded, obviously.)

Yes, the metallic taste is just an added bonus.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

@viciousbearmauling: If you're referring to Portland, I think it was just Portland, not the entire state of Oregon, so what you had to do was simply boil water. That being said, it's over now though so this is a bit late. To answer your question though, yes, bottled water is fine. You should actually know, most E Coli is actually not life threatening, the worst it gets for the worst kinds of E Coli that we know of can make people puke or have bad diarrhea. I live next door in WA, so we got the news here, unless everyone in the country got it as well. Boiling the water is probably more safe than drinking bottle water...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This was actually cleared up sometime yesterday. I was drinking a potentially contaminated soda a couple days back when the warning happened, but thankfully I'm still alive!

Are you SURE?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@jjweatherman said:

Are you SURE?

Don't trust the E. Coli Zombies!

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People prefer taking hot showers right? I bet they prefer slightly warm water for brushing their teeth too.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aetheldod

@video_game_king: Well not really , as far as I know but not going to try it out me self king!!!!! >:3 Human inmune system is not as cool as yours.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Life in Portland...Since Portland refuses to put fluoride in the water reservoir, bottled water should be fine (unless it's BPA and left in the sun). If they did put fluoride in the water, it would be best to boil the water, and use that for brushing your teeth.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Just get rid of your teeth. Issue solved.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost laughed at how spoiled this is.