Should i buy a Kindle 3?

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By chan05

Does any of you have a kindle (3rd generation)? What are your experiences? is the reading as good as with a normal book? Also im interested if amazon cares if a load my own ebooks on it. Also do you really use it? Because i could imagine that maybe i would miss my good old paperback.

BetonneTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BetonneTom

I ordered one but cancelled at the last minute (turns out that Europeans pay 3-5 dollars extra per book and no free 3g)  

The device itself is very nice, lasts for ages and very cheap. if you want a quality e reader it about the best you can do. 
 but loading your own ebooks (epub. and google books) is not possible, although it does support PDF if i am not mistaken.  

So if you are willing to invest money into the amazon kindle store, this is the best way to go. 
PS: go for the wifi edition it is a lot cheaper and 3g is not exceptionally usefull. 

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jack_daniels

I've got one and I love it. It's sitting right in front of me now. I actually have never even bought a book to read with it. I just read technical manuals and some textbooks in pdf form. It's pretty handy :)

pizzacake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pizzacake

I have a Kindle 3 and so does my wife.  I really like it. 

I have only bought a couple of books from Amazon, most of mine are from elsewhere.  There is a program called Calibre that can convert pretty much anything to a .mobi (which the kindle supports) and you can sideload stuff that way.  You can do it either by emailing to your kindle (username@free.kindle.com) or over usb.  Calibre can also host a web service that you can browse from the kindle and download stuff that way too.

You won't be able to get stuff from Barnes and Noble or Sony's ebook site, but you can get stuff from Fictionwise and Diesel books or any other source you can find.  ePub is the easiest format to convert mobi but pdf and html can also be done. You may have to strip DRM to be able to convert it from some places but that shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

I have the wifi edition. I thought I would regret it and want the 3g, but really now I think the 3g would be a waste of money.  The browser is so slow that it's not really worth using most of the time.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

Will Smith recommends it, and I'd say he's reliable.

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chan05

Yeah im actually from europe so that kind of sucks...i really hoped to be able to load my own ebooks on it since im not willing to buy them all in the amazon kindle store....damn!! pted to buy one because the wifi model is only about 100 euros. that is ridiculous cheap in my mind!

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chan05
@pizzacake: Ok that's actually very interesting.I will take a look at Calibre.
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By dichemstys

I got one and I like it a lot. But if the European books are way more expensive then that would be a dealbreaker for me.

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ptc

I have the older model Kindle.  I love it, especially for magazines and newspapers.  Get one.  Now!

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By BrittonPeele

I read a ton of books, and thought I would never want to switch to any sort of eReader because I can be a book purist. And it's true, you still can't beat the feel of a good book in your hand, etc. etc.

However, I got a Kindle 3 over the holidays, and I absolutely love it. The physical act of reading is the same - the screen doesn't put any strain on your eyes or anything - but it's made reading easier. It's easier to toss my Kindle in my bag (something that was sometimes difficult with the massive fantasy tomes I like to read) and read one-handed wherever I go.

So for convenience, yeah, it's great. I still like owning physical books, but I love reading on my Kindle.

BetonneTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BetonneTom
@chan05: Jeah the problem for me is that you cannot order one from amazon.co.uk if you are not from there (if you are then you will probably not have the same problems), that means ordering from amazon.com without free shipping and a 15 euro import tax. that means it will be around 145 (depending on exchange rates). 

I was really committed to the idea of buying my books from amazon, but when i found out most public domain books are free for Americans but not for us, it was a hard pill to swallow. 
What finally tipped the balance was that a lot of the nyc bestsellers in physical form (paperbacks) were actually cheaper than the ebook version.       

It probably has something to do with rules and regulations, but i felt extremely ripped off and then cancelled my order. 
(dutch btw, dont know if that matters)
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#12  Edited By sammo21
@chan05: My sister brought her Nook with her when she visited for Christmas and I set that up for her.  Up until that point I wasn't a big fan of e-readers, or e-books, but I loved it.  I don't know about the Kindle compared to the new Nooks but it was cool.  I still like physical books, but a man can only have so much space.
chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chan05
@BetonneTom: Yes actually im from Germany so i might have the same problem...but to be clear...im not buying it to get all my books from the amazon kindle store. 

@sammo21: I also like physical books. but i think the kindle could inspire me to read some classic books i can download for free that i otherwise wouldn't read.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Hizang

I dislike kindles, just buy the damn book!
striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By striderno9

I have a Kindle 3 and a Nook. Both work great, although I like my Kindle 3 better, just lighter and page turns a bit faster. I like actual books but I'm a technophile, so I was drawn to it. 

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By MadeinFinland

I just ordered one a few days ago actually. I'm excited. My dorm room doesn't have wireless so 3G is a godsend. 

@sammo21 said:

"  I still like physical books, but a man can only have so much space. "
That's the main reason I ordered one. I'm at university out-of-province, so it's tough lugging around my bookshelf with me everywhere. A kindle will simplify life a lot.