#1 Posted by brophdog (87 posts) -

Hey Giant Bombers. I'm a huge fan of fantasy and RPGs. I can only get one game every few months and Dark Souls has been recently weighing on my mind. What do you guys think. Should I pick up Dark Souls or something a little easier like Darksiders. Ill be playing on the 360.

#2 Posted by Nightriff (5075 posts) -

I think you should get something easier like Demon's Souls

#3 Posted by bibamatt (1088 posts) -

Maybe you could rent them to check them out? They're both fantastic games! For me, Dark Souls is bar far the better game. But a lot of people don't get on with it. Some people just plain hate it but I also know friends who've bought it and said "yeah it's really good" but just never played it beyond the opening areas. Darksiders 2 is really good, you can't go wrong with it. But, if you like it and really get into it, you might just adore Dark Souls. Dark Souls is available for around £25 pre-owned in the UK now, so maybe you can spend a couple of quids on a rental first just to be sure.

#4 Posted by brophdog (87 posts) -

I don't mind the difficulty. That's why its stuck in my head.

#5 Posted by Panpipe (474 posts) -

Dark Souls is a good game longevity-wise. I mean I love it for everything else as well, but it's great for someone that only plays one game for a long time.

#6 Posted by amir90 (2156 posts) -

You should be able to get it for a descent price now. It is a hard game, but also a satisfying one. I recommend not to read any builds or guide. It is an "old" game in mechanics, you need to figure out how to get pass certain passageways and beat certain bosses on your own.

Only refer to guides and YouTube videos when you are about tO tear out your hair.

#7 Posted by brophdog (87 posts) -
@Panpipe I need a good long game.

Anyone have an idea on how much you can squeeze out of Darksiders?
#8 Posted by amir90 (2156 posts) -
@brophdog like all of the achievements?
About 12 hours to finish, 18 to get everything if you use a guide.
Darksiders 2 is a lot longer, 24 hours to finish.
#9 Posted by brophdog (87 posts) -

I'm worried Darksiders is too hack and slashey. The technical and positioning parts of the little I've seen of Dark Souls seem cool and challenging.

#10 Posted by bibamatt (1088 posts) -

@brophdog: Sounds like you should get Dark Souls if you're interested in that kind of combat. Do it, dude! Darksiders 2 has pretty awesome combat, but it is very hack and slash,

#11 Posted by Olu (95 posts) -

If you're looking for good long game, Dark Souls should definitely be the choice. I Spent 80 hours on my first playthrough, and there is planty of things left to do, like PVP or Nwe character build that force you to completly change your playstyle.

#12 Posted by criacow (60 posts) -

I say go for it. I've been slowly working on Dark Souls on and off for months now, picking it up from time to time and playing a bit more. It's a great "slow burn" game, and if you really want to be obsessive and go for all the achievements (I'm not, but hey) it's apparently 200-300 hours of game.

Also, enough people are still playing that (if you play on-line) the multiplayer bits are still good. There are still messages, invasions, people to invade, all that...

#13 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

Just get Dark Souls

#14 Posted by brophdog (87 posts) -

Sounds like Dark Souls is the way to go. Can't wait.

#15 Posted by Inquisitor_Sif (58 posts) -

Just a little bit of advice: be gentle (I mean to your controllers, keyboard, mouse or whatever you use to play the game). I've lost millions of souls and humanities simply because of a silly misstep (and more than once I must add). Otherwise, go for it. It's the kind of game that you only see once every couple of years.

#16 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Yes, you should.

#17 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

Yes, you should.

#18 Posted by Maajin (1063 posts) -

Well, it is my favorite game of this generation, so yes, I think you should.

#19 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

If it looks interesting to you, go for it. Demon's souls is only around $20 now, so not like it's a big loss if you hate it. Don't spend too much time thinking or reading about it, because you never really know if you don't try it for yourself and the more you read about it the more your expectations will sway to one direction or the other and the game will ultimately be disappointing to you.

#20 Posted by psylah (2174 posts) -

I've put 500+ hours into Dark Souls, so yeah. It's got a big, juicy back-end on it. Asylum Demon style.

#21 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

So many people who just hit up online wikis to make it easier anyway.

#22 Posted by SavageManLove (93 posts) -

I take it you've already played Skyrim right?

#23 Edited by Warchief (657 posts) -

@brophdog: When people ask me this question my first response is always "Do you like Dungeons and Dragons?" The reason I ask this first is because Dark Souls is in my opinion the closest a video game has gotten to that table top game. My rational for that is in Dark Souls regardless of your level ANYTHING can take you out if you screw up the "encounter" and to me that's its greatest strength.

Dark souls is not as hard a most people make it out to be. Given how many references there are out there it is easy to figure out how the games various systems work, however I will admit the game can be punishing at times but its never unfair.

Lastly here is my favorite Dark Souls story. After playing the game for a few hours and killing the first two major bosses a new area opened up. In my head I was felling like I could take on anything at that point, so I ventured into the new area. With my first steps in I triggered a trap that hit my char in the face with three arrows, then two guards game down and proceeded to beat the holy hell out of me. It was as if the was saying "know your place".

That is Dark Souls, and you should play it.

#24 Posted by deox (216 posts) -

Absolutely, it's a great game.

#25 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10997 posts) -

This reminds me that I should play Dark Souls too. Someday...

#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

If you have the patience, endurance and determination to be fucked roughly over and over again and keep repeating levels until you learn the patterns, sure.

If you love yourself and want quality entertainment, hell no!

#27 Posted by golguin (3912 posts) -

I've put like 350 hours into it so I'm going to say yes.

#28 Posted by TobbRobb (4639 posts) -

Yup, get it. As long as you are fine with trial and error, you should have fun.

#29 Posted by brophdog (87 posts) -

Well I'm a huge D and D nerd so yeah. Ill be picking it up Friday. Ill post my build if I have time.

#30 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -

Yes, buy it.

#31 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

I need to get this one, but I have so many games I want to buy, and still havent gotten a single one (I pre-ordered FIFA 13, so I finally bought something i guess)

#32 Posted by j0lter (232 posts) -

Yes. Yes. A million times yes. Buy it. Now.

#33 Posted by brophdog (87 posts) -

Well I put a weekend into the game and got my spear wielding sorceress up to level 22. I love this game. Its very frustrating and I feel lost 50 percent of the time but in a good way. I'm excited to figure out where I need to go next.