• 130 results
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I don't mean in a spiritual sense since I'm not religious but are the stories in it actually any good? I have a general idea of the classics (David & Goliath, Kane & Able, Moses etc) but I've heard people tell me there's some really interesting stuff in there, particularly in revelations. 

So what I'm looking for really is a book review of the Bible. I'm sure there must be a fellow faithless individual on here who's read the book and can give me an honest opinion. A score out of 5 stars would be useful as well since, you know, nobody reads reviews anymore...

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Stories are interesting, it's considered to be the book of truth. It's very metaphorical, you can't read it literally, it has hidden meanings.

dangerousdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By dangerousdave

I'm an atheist, and I didn't really get much out of the bible.  I found most of the stories dull, but I appreciate being able to understand references to the bible in other works, so it's useful to read it.  John 21:3 is my favourite. 

2 stars out of 5.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude
@Godlyawesomeguy said:

" They should make a game based on the bible.     To the OP: Ive read various parts of the bible and it all seems kind of interesting even if it is far-fetched to the point of stupidy. Read it if you have nothing else to read and if you have nothing else to read, I could recommend you some fantastic books. "

I found this for a thread I made.

No Caption Provided

http://www.giantbomb.com/the-holy-bible/61-23900/
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By one_2nd

It will definitely make you less ignorant (not saying that you are) to others beliefs. I'm an atheist so idgaf. 

dangerousdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dangerousdave
@Godlyawesomeguy said:

" They should make a game based on the bible."

Bible Games and it's riveting sequel.
apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By apoptosis61

i recomment you read some philosophical ancient books than this book load of fairy tales

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Jost1

Reading it in its entirety is NOT necessary but it's helpful to have knowledge of its contents since it's the basis for so much of western culture. That said, I don't believe a word in it.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Feanor

Even if you don't believe the mumbo jumbo, it still wouldn't hurt to read it. Most of the stories carry good meanings, and it does try to push a good message. Well most of the stories anyways. 

If you want to read some good Christian mythology, you should pick up Paradise Lost. Or watch the last two seasons of Supernatural. Angles and Demons fighting is pretty cool.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By apoptosis61
@josty81 said:
" Reading it in its entirety is NOT necessary but it's helpful to have knowledge of its contents since it's the basis for so much of western culture. That said, I don't believe a word in it. "
this thing is the basis of nothing :P
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Ryax

no. if you arent religious you really dont need to read it. ive abstained from reading its so far and im pretty much a normal person. but really its a personal decision. its something you have to decide for yourself whether or not you think its a necessity to read.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By selbie

They're not hard to come by :P
Why not pick up the english versions of the Qur'an and the Torah as well. At least if you're interested you can glance through them for some insightful wisdom.
Just remember to read them in the context of their culture and time period ;)

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fentonalpha

A surprisingly tame Bible thread... GB i am proud, you put the internet to shame.  If you're gonna read it then "The Message" version is the current most readable if not amazingly ridiculous at times by dumbing down stuff to "street level" if you know what i mean.
So in my opinion when you are forced to read the bible.... not so good.... reading it casually it can be surprisingly not what you expected and interesting.  But the fundamental survival fact....  if you start with a book like "Leviticus" and rapidly find yourself bored to tears try moving onto the "Kings" or "Samuel" books, somewhat more story like.
I guess everyone should read the bible once but i can't say that without saying everyone should read EVERY foundational Religious text once.... oh and  "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jost1
@apoptosis61 said:
" @josty81 said:
" Reading it in its entirety is NOT necessary but it's helpful to have knowledge of its contents since it's the basis for so much of western culture. That said, I don't believe a word in it. "
this thing is the basis of nothing :P "
You mean my post? I concede, it's true.
StabHatDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StabHatDude

Well, set aside the fact that some people believe the bible to be written by God and so on, and you have a pretty decent compilation of stories.
The main-point of the bible is quite simple, and has nothing to do with God, Jesus or Mary - "Don't be a prick". If you would appreciate such a "plot" it's most definately a book for you.
I've read both the bible, the quran and alot of them ol' greek texts - I liked them all.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By apoptosis61
@josty81 said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @josty81 said:
You mean my post? I concede, it's true. "
thing = bible ^^
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster

Just skip to Revelation

StabHatDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StabHatDude

By the way - I'm a philosophy/psychology major from Denmark, and we've used this book ( http://www.amazon.com/Classics-Philosophy-Louis-P-Pojman/dp/0195148932 ) a lot.
It's parts of, or whole texts, spanning from ancient Greece, to modern philosophers - all good translations - you should check it out, if you're looking for such texts.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Bones8677

I highly recommend reading it, not just for the Spiritual significance, but also how the stories are crafted. I took a university course in Biblical Literature and if you stop and pay attention, the Bible is like poetry. The stories have a rhythm and a cadence, and very intentionally put together to create harmony to the point of even being mathematical. Definitely read it and I suggest picking up this version, to help you understand the meanings and the cultures that wrote the various books.   

That's the version I bought for the college class, it even has the Apocrypha included. 

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jost1
@apoptosis61 said:
" @josty81 said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @josty81 said:
thing = bible ^^ "
Well what i mean is that there's SO many biblical references in all the fiction we consume on a daily basis that it helps to know at least some of its contents
BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BunkerBuster

I can honestly say that if you get interested by the stories in the bible then any written script in the history of man would also peak your interest. 
You would be better off with some Aesop's fables or Fairy tales. There are so many philosophers from our history that need to be read, don't bother wasting your time on the Bible.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By apoptosis61
@josty81 said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @josty81 said:
" @apoptosis61 said:
" @josty81 said:
thing = bible ^^ "
Well what i mean is that there's SO many biblical references in all the fiction we consume on a daily basis that it helps to know at least some of its contents "
there are loads of scripts telling the true story of the worldwide cataclysm before the biblical big ship with whole animal kingdom in it :P
SARRISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SARRISS

I vote yes for a few reasons: its the single best selling work of fiction ever published, it has multiple protagonists in the first half all of which are quite flawed (and flawed hero's is whats in now right?), it has twist after twist that after so many years may not surprise but still those twists were killer, and lets not forget that it was the fist book ever mass produced on a printing press...so history I guess?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

While I haven't read it in any detail, the bible is a very interesting read, whether you believe in it or not. The old testament particularly,

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I can certainly see good reasons for reading it and I've had a copy for a long time which I've dipped into a few times. The biggest problem for me is finding the time to commit to reading it. I do most of my reading on the bus and I think most people would think I was a weird fundamentalist if I was reading the Bible on the commute. 

I don't know why that stigma is there but I get the impression that most people don't believe you can read it as a work of fiction without having some sort of emotional or spiritual resonance with it. Anyway I've decided I will go on and read it so the next question is how exactly should I be reading it. Can the book be read simply cover to cover or is it better to go through the scripts in a certain order?

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Alphiehyr
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Stories are interesting, it's considered to be the book of truth. It's very metaphorical, you can't read it literally, it has hidden meanings.

"
Indeed they are interesting. It's also considered to be the most popular contradictory book.
damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By damswedon

For the Old testament read Genesis then chuck most of the rest. 
For the New testament read Matthew, Mark, John and maybe Revelations. 
Then if you wish read some of the stories that got removed from the Hebrew versions like the story of the first woman Lilith, which will either make you entirely sympathise with YHWH or hate him/she/it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Tennmuerti

Purely as a book I tried reading it a few times in hotels when there was time to waste, buts it's just too damn boring imho, helped me fall asleep a few times tho.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By jonnyboy

Sure, it's better than that Stephanie Meyer shit, and every body reads that.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ApertureSilence

Just read The Chronicles of Narnia instead. 

Aslan > Jesus.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By KillaMaStA

It sucks as a book, I would read the childrens bible if your interested in the stories.

lotusamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lotusamurai

Jesus dies.... oh sh** did I just ruin it?

Ashby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ashby
@KillaMaStA said:
" It sucks as a book, I would read the childrens bible if your interested in the stories. "
Definitely. They have a ton of these that get the story across without the difficult text. 

As a side note, the old testament scared the crap out of me as a child, ha. It's sort of brutal.
Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Semition
You should. At least read the sections recommended by other posters here. I would still suggest you read the whole thing just for the historical value of it.

@lotusamurai said:
" Jesus dies.... of sh** did I just ruin it? "
Spoilers man.  >:(
meatsounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By meatsounds

So, anybody who is a part of Western civilization would gain a lot from reading the Bible, because it has/had been a cornerstone of that civilization for well over a thousand years. If you've read it, there are scores of images, allusions and references that will suddenly make sense to you, and most likely you will have a richer experience out of almost every other book you read (especially from the 19th century and earlier). Also, there are large parts of the Bible which are fantastic: the book of Job is one of the great classics of Western literature. Some of it is pretty uninspiring -- the Biblical author/s were inconsistent in their quality --  but the good parts are very good. It helps that the people doing the translating typically have done so with enormous amounts of love and care. I recommend the King James Version. It can be heavy going if you're not used to archaic English, but the quality of the poetry in that translation is simply wonderful.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zityz

As far as a book is concered, I'd say its pretty boring, parts tend to drag on for pages. Besides everyone knows the core basis of the thing anyway. Most people who quote the bible or need to seek "knowledge" of it just tend to use it as backup for arguments. 

Greek Mythology is more fun to read. It can be just as bullshit as the Bible, but damn it's some entertaining bullshit.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By penguindust

You should read everything you can.  The Bible, the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, the Talmud, the teachings of the Buddah, the writings of Confucius, etc...don't deny yourself because you are not a follower of the faith.  Educating yourself is always a better path to take regardless of how you personally feel about any particular religion or ideology.  

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Meowshi

A lot of you are downplaying the history and influence of the Bible.  To the level of just sounding silly. 

I'd recommend reading a book that studies the history and influence of the Bible, instead of reading the book itself.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Scooper

I imagian it has some very good stories if you read it as a work of fiction.

RoundRockDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RoundRockDoc

yes

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By Willy105

Yeah, you should. 

Even if you don't like religion for some reason, it still has plenty of good advice on how to live your life.

But it creeps me out that you have to buy one. Bibles shouldn't be for sale....they should be like, free or something.....

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dfsvegas

You should... It's a comedic force. 

Actually, you should, just because you'd probably have a leg up on actual christians who claim to read it, but only know a few key passages. Remind them how fucked up that book is.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By Willy105
@DFSVegas said:
" You should... It's a comedic force.  Actually, you should, just because you'd probably have a leg up on actual christians who claim to read it, but only know a few key passages. Remind them how fucked up that book is. "
If they don't read the Bible, they aren't actual Christians, since they won't be following the teachings it says in there.

The book is pretty graphic, but it's not that scary.
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By habster3

Um... I'm a Christian, so I might be biased towards it, but I find the Bible pretty good in a literary sense (Whole lotta nookie going on!)

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

well since it's the most influential book written in the history of mankind, everyone should probably read it

PATERSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PATERSON

Depends if you like fairy tales.... oh I didn't did I?

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Meowshi
@PATERSON said:
" Depends if you like fairy tales.... oh I didn't did I? "
Said something dumb?  Yes, you did.
RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By RVonE

While I'm not religious, I think the Old Testament is very interesting to read. The New Testament is also worth readin, but is very different.
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CaptainObvious

I find the sequel, "Bible 2: Holy Wars" and the remake, "Bible: Reloaded" to be much better than the original.